What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does ANYONE like McGahee anymore? (1 Viewer)

cscmtp

Footballguy
First, the Bills offense looks like green.gif But i do think McGahee has all-pro talent. Last year was a huge letdown compared to 2004, when he really exploded once he got the starting job. What do you guys think about his outlook for this year, and in a dynasty for the next several years? Where would you draft him in a new dynasty draft? :popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
i think this is a tough decision. most of the problems from last year are still there. the bills still have qb uncertainty. the oline has not been vastly upgraded.

i see no reason currently why any opposing team would not stack the line. do not get me wrong, i think evans could be a star, but the qb uncertainty hurts him as well.

maybe the new coach, staff, and direction for the offense will help both willis and evans.

i think this is a tough decision. most of the problems from last year are still there. the bills still have qb uncertainty. the oline has not been vastly upgraded.

i see no reason currently why any opposing team would not stack the line. do not get me wrong, i think evans could be a star, but the qb uncertainty hurts him as well.

maybe the new coach, staff, and direction for the offense will help both willis and evans.
Yes, it pretty much comes down to how you think the OL and QB will improve or remain stagnant (can't get worse). I'd rank McGahee as a top 10 pick in a dynasty league.

ETA: he's my #2 in a 16 team league, where I'm building. I highly doubt I'd trade him unless it were for Reggie Bush, SJax or a couple others.

Not sure where he belongs in rankings, exactly. I'd be pretty happy to have him as my #2 since he has some upside.

Not sure where he belongs in rankings, exactly.  I'd be pretty happy to have him as my #2 since he has some upside.
:fishing:
wtfI think he means as his RB2, not drafted 1.02 FYI. Not sure how that's "fishing."

1200+ and 5 TDs on an "off year" last year isn't terrible for a RB2, possibly very good if your passing game is strong. Sure I'd like more TDs, but....

Not sure where he belongs in rankings, exactly. I'd be pretty happy to have him as my #2 since he has some upside.
wtfI think he means as his RB2, not drafted 1.02 FYI. Not sure how that's "fishing."

1200+ and 5 TDs on an "off year" last year isn't terrible for a RB2, possibly very good if your passing game is strong. Sure I'd like more TDs, but....
Remember you're talking to Mr "I pimp McGahee in every thread I can even if it has nothing to do with fantasy football or running backs" in 2005.

Not sure where he belongs in rankings, exactly.  I'd be pretty happy to have him as my #2 since he has some upside.

No, he's fishing cause he said he has "some" upside as a #2. That's weak, Joe Montana and Tom Brady are "sorta" clutch. Get my drift? McGahees upside is huge.

If McGahee's problems revolved entirely around the lack of talent in Buffalo I'd feel better about him because if the talent was improved than one would expect McGahee's production to improve. However, what I saw last season was a RB who often p****-footed through holes, who lacked heart and who was unable to make those around him better. The problems with McGahee often started and ended with McGahee and the lack of fire he brought with him to the field. Until those problems are corrected -- assuming he's willing to correct them -- I view him in a very skeptical light. There's no question the upside is there but at this point in time I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as anything other than a RB3. He'll be drafted higher than that which means he's a major gamble IMO. However, this season appears to have a rather large number of gambles at the RB position so McGahee is just another in the mix in that respect.

First, the Bills offense looks like green.gif But i do think McGahee has all-pro talent. Last year was a huge letdown compared to 2004, when he really exploded once he got the starting job. What do you guys think about his outlook for this year, and in a dynasty for the next several years? Where would you draft him in a new dynasty draft? :popcorn:
If you are in a dynasty league and you can get him for talent outside a top 10 you do it and don't look back. The guy is ubertalented, but is on a bad team (situation). Those situations can change a year from now, but I can't see any way that he is not listed as a top 10 pick for a dynasty league. He was a top 5 guy going into last year and people have very short memories. There are very few situations where you know the RB is the man and there is no competition. Barring injury, the floor is what he did last year and the ceiling is unlimited. Take my advice and go get him while he is cheap and people are down on the situation. Top 7 dynasty RB without question in my mind.

No, he's fishing cause he said he has "some" upside as a #2. That's weak, Joe Montana and Tom Brady are "sorta" clutch. Get my drift? McGahees upside is huge.
Didn't mean to cause any controversy, folks. Maybe the word "some" was off a bit? I don't know. The guy still has questions surrounding him that were addressed earlier in the thread. I would be a little nervous having him as my #1 due to those questions. I think that most of us like to have a safer selection, no?Upon further reflection, it's probably unrealistic to think about getting him the second round.

Didn't mean to cause any controversy, folks. Maybe the word "some" was off a bit? I don't know. The guy still has questions surrounding him that were addressed earlier in the thread. I would be a little nervous having him as my #1 due to those questions. I think that most of us like to have a safer selection, no?Upon further reflection, it's probably unrealistic to think about getting him the second round.
I like McGahee a lot, but in a redraft, or just for 2006, "some upside" seems rigjht. Until they make headway with the line and QB, McGahee won't be elite. In a dynasty though, major upside.

There's no question the upside is there but at this point in time I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as anything other than a RB3.
Are you playing a 4 man league or something? RB3, ok... :rolleyes: How about you put your foot in your mouth a little deeper and name me the 24 RBS you'd take ahead of him in a redraft. This comment is so stupid it's like say I'd only take Leftwich or Warner as my QB4, that's just dumb.

I've always stood by the fact that he's one of the best rushers in the NFL. His one weakness has been as a receiver. There has been mention that he's actually a decent receiver and will be used more starting this year. Until that happens though, it will limit his consistency and ability to produce on a bad team. Receiving backs get more touches on losing teams who are playing from behind. This keeps their fantasy numbers more consistent and makes them less reliant on their team's ability to stay in the game.

Last year, Buffalo tried to start JP Losman at QB. This was a huge loss for McGahee as teams brought the heat. The way to beat that pressure is with screens and quick reads. If he was a receiving back like LT, he could have caught a lot of those dump passes and performed much better. The Losman experiment also put the team in the hole and forced them to play catchup. This is not good for a workhorse who isnt involved in the passing game. The workhorse type of RB gets a big portion of their yards late in the game when their team is winning. An inept QB also means less scoring opportunities which means less TDs. McGahee is a back as capable in the red zone as any back in this league. Yet no matter how skilled a back is in that area, he depends on the team's ability to get there and to keep the D somewhat honest.

In short McGahee is both the 2004 and 2005 back. If he does become seriously involved as a receiver, he's consistently the 2004 version. If not, he'll be up and down as he was over the course of two seasons.

Last season when Losman played it seemed it was 3 and out constantly. I remember this exact scenario happening on many occasions:

1st Down, McGahee 7 yard gain

2nd and 3, Losman incomplete pass

3rd and 3, Losman sacked

4th down, Punt

There's no question the upside is there but at this point in time I wouldn't feel comfortable with him as anything other than a RB3.
Are you playing a 4 man league or something? RB3, ok... :rolleyes: How about you put your foot in your mouth a little deeper and name me the 24 RBS you'd take ahead of him in a redraft. This comment is so stupid it's like say I'd only take Leftwich or Warner as my QB4, that's just dumb.
Tell you what, when you are able to grasp the concept that a RB can be viewed as a RB3 without being ranked after the Top 24 then there's a chance you and I can have a legitimate discussion here. Given your rather juvenile response above I'm not going to hold my breath, however.

There has been mention that he's actually a decent receiver and will be used more starting this year.
If that happens, as the only good receiving threat on the team is Evans, McGahee becomes a top 5 RB. I have yet to see evidence that it will, but I'll look forward to seeing it.

Buffalo 2006 Schedule

Date Opponent Time/Result

Sep 10 @New England 1:00pm

Sep 17 @Miami 1:00pm

Sep 24 N.Y. Jets 1:00pm

Oct 1 Minnesota 1:00pm

Oct 8 @Chicago 1:00pm

Oct 15 @Detroit 1:00pm

Oct 22 New England 1:00pm

Week 8 BYE

Nov 5 Green Bay 1:00pm

Nov 12 @Indianapolis 1:00pm

Nov 19 @Houston 1:00pm

Nov 26 Jacksonville 1:00pm

Dec 3 San Diego 1:00pm

Dec 10 @N.Y. Jets 1:00pm

Dec 17 Miami 1:00pm

Dec 24 Tennessee 1:00pm

Dec 31 @Baltimore 1:00pm

Not too tough a schedule at first glance, little early to tell though. The key with McGahee is his TD production, which took a dive as soon as Losman became the QB. Expect 1400 total yards & 7 scores, but don't overvalue him b/c that offense has very little else to keep defenses from focusing on stopping him. On the flip side, he'll probably get about 350 touches if he can stay healthy.

I agree. The OLine and QB really held McGahee back. But I also think the D hurt him. If Buffalo can stay in more games this year either by improved offense of improved defense, I think McGahee's numbers will improve. If it's 24-20 or 10-6 in the fourth quarter, McGahee will continue to get touches but if it's 24-6, he won't.

i think this is a tough decision.  most of the problems from last year are still there.  the bills still have qb uncertainty.  the oline has not been vastly upgraded. 

i see no reason currently why any opposing team would not stack the line.  do not get me wrong, i think evans could be a star, but the qb uncertainty hurts him as well.

I agree. The OLine and QB really held McGahee back. But I also think the D hurt him. If Buffalo can stay in more games this year either by improved offense of improved defense, I think McGahee's numbers will improve. If it's 24-20 or 10-6 in the fourth quarter, McGahee will continue to get touches but if it's 24-6, he won't.
I agree about the defense having influence on Willis. Many of his owners were spoiled in 2004 and frustrated in 2005 because of the turnovers forced. In 2004, Willis had a ton of TDs due to a short field because of the turnovers. They were not there in 2005.

If you are picking early and go RB-RB-RB, all it would take is for a couple of QBs, a handful of WRs and a TE or two to get drafted and Willis would become your RB3, yet be taken before RB24.OR

You take Willis as one of your top two RBs, then take a 3rd RB in a future round that you think will do better (based on your own research or whatever). Last year, I took Westbrook in the early 3rd in one league. I considered him my starting RB, over the guy I took in the 2nd (forget who it was...Dillon?) So, in effect, I had Dillon as MY RB3, though others would view it differently.

Unlike McGahee, the best backs can produce with or without talent around them, and with or without a stacked line. LT did it before Gates or a quality OLine, Jamal Lewis did it without other skill players, Payton did it most of his career- the list goes on and on. Great backs find a way.

McGahee was overvalued prior to '05 b/c of the 13 TDs he scored the previous year. He will be undervalued prior to '06 b/c of the 5 TDs he managed last year.

So what's his outlook? Well, with all the same problems this year that the Bills had coming into last year, I suspect that McGahee will get about 1200 yards, and I'll split the difference on TDs and give him 8. I suspect that his current ADP is lower than that level of production.

Got ya - thx for clarificationUpside is high, I agree. But so is risk (in no small part due to players other than him). No way and I do mean no way would I draft him as my RB1, and there are other choices I'd have for RB2.

he's a solid RB that can be had around the first turn in a 12 team redraft (making him a low tier #1 fantasy RB). he's a guy i draft if i'm a RB-RB drafter, but probably would pass on if you plan on taking a WR or QB in the first two rounds

his dynasty value is a bit low right now and unlikely to climb until jp losman develops or a new QB is brought in. buy slightly low if you are willing to hold on to him for a few seasons

In Dynasty I agree that he should be drafted at the end of the 1st beginning of the 2nd. One poster said something about elite backs producing on any team I don't disagree with that but I think that backs at that level of elite are rare and McGahee is not one of them.

I think NOW is the time to get McGahee in a dynasty league. Before his team gets a QB and an o-line. He is exactly the type of player I try to target--the talent is there, but he's hit temporary issues because of his team. This is why I traded for him. I'm more than happy to have him as my #2 RB.

I think NOW is the time to get McGahee in a dynasty league. Before his team gets a QB and an o-line. He is exactly the type of player I try to target--the talent is there, but he's hit temporary issues because of his team. This is why I traded for him. I'm more than happy to have him as my #2 RB.
I've tried, the guy in my league still loves him. :cry: :hot:

I've always stood by the fact that he's one of the best rushers in the NFL. His one weakness has been as a receiver. There has been mention that he's actually a decent receiver and will be used more starting this year. Until that happens though, it will limit his consistency and ability to produce on a bad team. Receiving backs get more touches on losing teams who are playing from behind. This keeps their fantasy numbers more consistent and makes them less reliant on their team's ability to stay in the game.

Last year, Buffalo tried to start JP Losman at QB. This was a huge loss for McGahee as teams brought the heat. The way to beat that pressure is with screens and quick reads. If he was a receiving back like LT, he could have caught a lot of those dump passes and performed much better. The Losman experiment also put the team in the hole and forced them to play catchup. This is not good for a workhorse who isnt involved in the passing game. The workhorse type of RB gets a big portion of their yards late in the game when their team is winning. An inept QB also means less scoring opportunities which means less TDs. McGahee is a back as capable in the red zone as any back in this league. Yet no matter how skilled a back is in that area, he depends on the team's ability to get there and to keep the D somewhat honest.

In short McGahee is both the 2004 and 2005 back. If he does become seriously involved as a receiver, he's consistently the 2004 version. If not, he'll be up and down as he was over the course of two seasons.
:goodposting: Exactly. Good point about the receiving issues RB's encounter when their teams are behind. I said this before, but if Mcgahee were in KC, he would be the 1st RB taken in dynasty leagues

Unlike McGahee, the best backs can produce with or without talent around them, and with or without a stacked line. LT did it before Gates or a quality OLine, Jamal Lewis did it without other skill players, Payton did it most of his career- the list goes on and on. Great backs find a way.
A RB needs something working for him. Here are the main 5 things I see that are needed. 1) Good Defense to play with a lead or keep it close. - RB's can get a lot of "garbage" yards and teams will take chances trying to strip the ball or sell out which can lead to a few huge gains late in the game.

2) OL - Having a good OL can give good RB's the chance when nothing else is present in this list. Baltimore is a great example of this. They were a great run blocking team. They also benefited from the the 1st point.

3) QB - A good QB can keep the defense honest and play action well. Can also deliver the ball on screens effectively.

4) Coaching - Some coaches really understand the running game well and design good plays around their only decent lineman. I always felt that Dan Reeves and Shottenheimer (sp) had a good understanding of the running game

5) WR/TE - see QB, but without a competent QB this might not be the least important.

Mcgahee was 0-4 with a a little help from #5 as I think Evans and Moulds were an above average receiving corp. Look at other players that would be listed that are top backs and you will not be able to name more than a handful that played in situations this bad. Off the top of my head OJ, Payton and Earl Campbell didn't seem to have much going for them, but I haven't analyzed every aspect of the 5 in detail.

I definitely agree on coaching having an impact. Any Bills fan can attest to being very frustrated by the poor playing calling last year, especially around the goalline. This had an impact on McGahee's TDs. No doubt in my mind.

Overrated, will bring great dissapointedment to whomever drafts him too early.
BigTex please explain. I'd like to hear the counter to the positive postings above. Are you talking strictly re-draft or dynasty as well? Thanks.Also, nice Dune quote in your sig.

Willis is talented but his situation is just horrible.

QB? 3 clowns who stink

Bottom 5 Ol in the league.

New coach, OC and I dont like **** Jauron.

So do I like him? Yes, can he be a productive RB2 in FFL,maybe if he gets some breaks and the Bills D becomes respectable again.

I will only be taking him at a huge value.

BigTex please explain. I'd like to hear the counter to the positive postings above. Are you talking strictly re-draft or dynasty as well? Thanks.Also, nice Dune quote in your sig.
Hello Baracuda, my comments are based strictly on the fact that Mac has "Never" performed at the level for which he's been drafted in both Dynasty and Redraft. Every years he's is both ranked and drafted ahead of other rbs (and other positions) that have been proven and performed better than Mac. He is consistantly pimped and ranked in the top ten :no: and IMHO is the most overrated rb the last two years.

We talk alot (here in the sharkpool) about considering injuries when evaluating a player, but Mac seems to be the exceptions to this rule. Yet, he's not had a full season for which he has been totally healthy.

2006 will bring bitter dissapointment to many owners.

P.S the sig is gold! ;) thanks!

Willis is talented but his situation is just horrible.

QB? 3 clowns who stink

Bottom 5 Ol in the league.

New coach, OC and I dont like **** Jauron.

So do I like him? Yes, can he be a productive RB2 in FFL,maybe if he gets some breaks and the Bills D becomes respectable again.

I will only be taking him at a huge value.
:goodposting: Wisdom speaks.

Hello Baracuda, my comments are based strictly on the fact that Mac has "Never" performed at the level for which he's been drafted in both Dynasty and Redraft. Every years he's is both ranked and drafted ahead of other rbs (and other positions) that have been proven and performed better than Mac. He is consistantly pimped and ranked in the top ten :no: and IMHO is the most overrated rb the last two years.

We talk alot (here in the sharkpool) about considering injuries when evaluating a player, but Mac seems to be the exceptions to this rule. Yet, he's not had a full season for which he has been totally healthy.

2006 will bring bitter dissapointment to many owners.

P.S the sig is gold! ;) thanks!
This is a good post, unfortunately. I think he's overrated as an NFL player. I do not think that he has ever completely recovered mentally from the knee injury. It seems to make him more hesitant and that lessens his effectiveness.

This is a good post, unfortunately. I think he's overrated as an NFL player. I do not think that he has ever completely recovered mentally from the knee injury. It seems to make him more hesitant and that lessens his effectiveness.
Yet he still racked up over 1200 yds with a weak passing O and weak OL. Again I wouldn't go top 10 either, but depending on your boom/bust feeling draft day, it's not so out of the question.

[Every years he's is both ranked and drafted ahead of other rbs (and other positions) that have been proven and performed better than Mac.
every year??? you mean last year? I don't know how anyone can ignore his upside. OK, he had only 5tds last year, how has his rushing yardage been the only 2 years he's seen time? I'm impressed as hell that the guy was able to do what he did behind that O-line with no stability at QB. It won't get any worse

I used to be a huge Willis fan. After his college performances, and his remarkable recovery from his injury. I drafted him his rookie year, then ended up trading him, and then tried to acquire him before last season (offering tremendous value). But...after watching him play last year, and looking at his stats, I would have to agree that he is one of the most overrated players in FFB history. Even in his phenomenal season in 2004, his ypc was around 4.0, and his scoring was due to the ridiculous amount of TD opportunities he got in the red zone that season. He actually scored about 35% of his TDs in one game. Many of you have stated that he is super talented, and honestly, I just don't see it anymore. He was before the injury, but now I think he is a good power back, with fair upside, who doesn't have excellent receiving skills. He has excellent vision and instincts, but what made him so great in college was using those qualities, along with his speed to make game changing runs. He just cannot do that anymore, and I don't think he has physically recovered fully from his injury. That may change, and his physical condition may improve, but going on three years, I think he has recovered as much as he will. Add the fact that he is playing in a poor offense, with a below average line, in a tough division, and he is no better than an average #2 back.

[Every years he's is both ranked and drafted ahead of other rbs (and other positions) that have been proven and performed better than Mac.
every year??? you mean last year? I don't know how anyone can ignore his upside. OK, he had only 5tds last year, how has his rushing yardage been the only 2 years he's seen time? I'm impressed as hell that the guy was able to do what he did behind that O-line with no stability at QB. It won't get any worse
Yes every year, 2004, 2005 and now 2006.2004 in my league is finished #30 overall

2005 in my league is finished #39 overall

Why is he constantly pimped to be in the top ten? What has he done? Yet every year he's drafted or pimped in the top ten.

Forget upside, Ryan Leaf had upside, O. Smith has upside, Freddie Mitchell has upside. Mac has been plaqued with injuries, yet we ignore this.

There are threads that question the durablity of LT2 who has been durable as durable can get but don't you dare question Mac who has been injury prone and is an average rb. Don't you dare question these facts!

Yet he still racked up over 1200 yds with a weak passing O and weak OL. Again I wouldn't go top 10 either, but depending on your boom/bust feeling draft day, it's not so out of the question.
Oh sure. I'm not saying he sucks. Just that I think people to this day are picturing the pre-injury Willis when talking about him and drafting him.

Yes every year, 2004, 2005 and now 2006.2004 in my league is finished #30 overall

Why is he constantly pimped to be in the top ten? What has he done? Yet every year he's drafted or pimped in the top ten.

Forget upside, Ryan Leaf had upside, O. Smith has upside, Freddie Mitchell has upside. Mac has been plaqued with injuries, yet we ignore this.

There are threads that question the durablity of LT2 who has been durable as durable can get but don't you dare question Mac who has been injury prone and is an average rb. Don't you dare question these facts!
he's only been drafted high one year. 2005. I don't think many drafted him very high in 2004, unless they were armed with a crystal ball. I expect him to go late 1st early 2nd in a 12 team redraft this year. I'd take him a little higher in a keeper/dynasty format. His upside is hard to ignore. How the hell did he only finish 30th overall in your league in 2004. Doesn't make much sense to me

Correction Mac in 2005 finished 79th overall :eek: and 14th at his position. So, 78 other players Outperformed him, 13 of which were running backs.........yet again........is ranked in the top ten, good luck.

as bad as the Bills DL was last year and with the loss of Sam Adams, their OL is even worse. I am really hoping they take Winston Justice in round one and David Jospeh or Nick Mangold in round 2 and Charles Spencer in round 3 (if he is still there)....

then grab one or two DL in free agency after June 1.

with a solid OL, i think McGahee would be a steal in the mid to late 2nd round in a redraft.

however if the Bills do nothing to upgrade their OL, McGahee would not be worthy of anything higher than a 35th pick range.

he's only been drafted high one year. 2005. I don't think many drafted him very high in 2004, unless they were armed with a crystal ball. I expect him to go late 1st early 2nd in a 12 team redraft this year. I'd take him a little higher in a keeper/dynasty format. His upside is hard to ignore. How the hell did he only finish 30th overall in your league in 2004. Doesn't make much sense to me
1. I'm not too sure about this, do a search and you'll see what I mean. 2004 many did draft him high, again do a search and you'll see.2. To answere your last comment/question, he got outperformed and is still overrated, the numbers don't lie and this is not my opinion but a fact.

If you're ranking a player based on upside your set up to lose. If I had to set up a formula for a player it would probably be something like this.

Past performance + Team condition + Upside - Health = Player Analysis

I'm not trying to influence you, so if it doesn't make sense to you, then my feelings are not hurt. But I still wish you luck!

Do I like McGahee? YES

Do I think he disapointed last year? YES

His avg re-draft ADP last year off the top of my head was prob. around 1.09 and he was probably the 5-8 RB selected. In my re-draft he ended up being the 13th RB scoring wise not to far from 12th.

About everyone can agree that he had an off year, so with 13th overall as his floor I don't see why he couldn't be a top 8 RB with some improvements to Buffalo.

if the land Justice in the draft that would be an improvement. the coaching can't get worse. they should have more trips to the red zone which could add td's. losman though barely average has another year under his belt.

Users who are viewing this thread