What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does Anyone Play Defense Anymore (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Can't blame the lockout. Or replacement refs. But the totals from this weekend were off the charts.All 8 teams averaged 34.5 points scored.6 of the 8 exceeded 400 net yards of offense. All 8 teams averaged 450 yards. SF led the way with 579 net yards from scrimmage.Adding in kick returns, 3 teams went over 600 total yards with HOU leading the charge with 672. All the teams averaged 563 yards when you add in kick return yardage.(DEN and HOU were the two teams that went nuts on return yardage).So I ask . . . where's the defense? Was this a fluke? Do we expect more shootouts the rest of the way?

I think it's a combination of several things.1) There were only 4 games, so part of this weekend could just be randomness.2) Rule changes/emphasis over the years has likely led to more open receivers.3) Rule changes/emphasis could also lead to more first downs (especially by penalty), keeping drives alive.4) Some new offenses that defenses don't have a blueprint for yet.

If you watched the Ravens/Broncos, there were some big hits that were called penalties and rightly so in today's rulebook. However, that's not what I like to see as a NFL fan. I don't want to see anyone hurt but it frustrates me to the level the defense now has to change how they play the game. It's almost as if the only way to stop an offense is to make them turn it over. The NFL and most casual fans don't want to see a 13-10 field position game, I must be sick because I love those kind of games. To answer your questions, I do believe last week there were more under games than over against the spread even those this week there were crazy points.

If you watched the Ravens/Broncos, there were some big hits that were called penalties and rightly so in today's rulebook. However, that's not what I like to see as a NFL fan. I don't want to see anyone hurt but it frustrates me to the level the defense now has to change how they play the game. It's almost as if the only way to stop an offense is to make them turn it over. The NFL and most casual fans don't want to see a 13-10 field position game, I must be sick because I love those kind of games. To answer your questions, I do believe last week there were more under games than over against the spread even those this week there were crazy points.
It's not so much regulating the hits/concussions that make the defenses handicapped. Although, I think that the refs really go overboard with the defense-less receiver and borderline helmet/shoulder hits. It seems like on 99.999% of plays where the helmet looks like it could have touched the head, the refs just throw the flag anyway. The bigger problem IMO are the QB penalties and illegal contact/PI. You can't touch the QB above the chest without getting a flag. That has little to do with concussions, as the vast majority of those penalties could never cause anywhere near a concussion. Most late hit on a QB penalties are BS. Not being able to hit QBs low is laughable. That is just hilarious irony IMO. The league tries SO hard to distance itself from Vegas and gambling, in order to ensure the "credibility of the game". Yet they turn around and treat offenses and QBs and stars completely differently. If not for Brady/Manning, low hits on QBs and illegal contact would not be what they are today. How is that not actively changing the competitive balance of the game. They treat "Vegas" as a dirty word, but turn around and give preferential treatment to their golden boys.Illegal contact has allowed for a much, much, much more open game than we used to watch in the 90's and early 00's. I look at the Greatest Show on Turf and how they were held to 9 offensive points in the NFCCG that year. In today's NFL, you couldn't hold them under 30. And very, very little of that change has to do with concussions or prevention. The PI/Illegal Contact calls allow for too many passing games to have success. Receivers and TEs are bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker. Yet, defenses are supposed to stop them without hitting them very hard or high or before they can secure the catch, and can't touch them at all in covering downfield. It's like saying, "Hey, we want you to fight this guy. You two are pretty much the same size, so it's pretty even. Oh yeah, he gets to bring his 3 friends. And a gun. And we have to chop off your right hand. Also, we're gonna spin you around in this chair 40 times before the start. Ready?" The NFL has legislated defense out of the game under the guise of caring about concussions, which would be the first time ever. And I'm for limiting concussions. I don't want to see people's lives and families suffer from some retired player becoming a vegetable because I'm too much of a meathead to care, screaming at aglowing box in my living room like an animal. And I'm disappointed at the amount of people who are.

It's almost as if the only way to stop an offense is to make them turn it over.
And turnovers have been steadily dropping for many, many years and are at historically low levels the past few seasons. Turnovers, IMO, are more about offensive mistakes than defensive accomplishments. And offenses have become much better at protecting the ball over the years.

It's not so much regulating the hits/concussions that make the defenses handicapped. Although, I think that the refs really go overboard with the defense-less receiver and borderline helmet/shoulder hits. It seems like on 99.999% of plays where the helmet looks like it could have touched the head, the refs just throw the flag anyway. The bigger problem IMO are the QB penalties and illegal contact/PI. You can't touch the QB above the chest without getting a flag. That has little to do with concussions, as the vast majority of those penalties could never cause anywhere near a concussion. Most late hit on a QB penalties are BS. Not being able to hit QBs low is laughable. That is just hilarious irony IMO. The league tries SO hard to distance itself from Vegas and gambling, in order to ensure the "credibility of the game". Yet they turn around and treat offenses and QBs and stars completely differently. If not for Brady/Manning, low hits on QBs and illegal contact would not be what they are today. How is that not actively changing the competitive balance of the game. They treat "Vegas" as a dirty word, but turn around and give preferential treatment to their golden boys.Illegal contact has allowed for a much, much, much more open game than we used to watch in the 90's and early 00's. I look at the Greatest Show on Turf and how they were held to 9 offensive points in the NFCCG that year. In today's NFL, you couldn't hold them under 30. And very, very little of that change has to do with concussions or prevention. The PI/Illegal Contact calls allow for too many passing games to have success. Receivers and TEs are bigger, faster, stronger, and quicker. Yet, defenses are supposed to stop them without hitting them very hard or high or before they can secure the catch, and can't touch them at all in covering downfield. It's like saying, "Hey, we want you to fight this guy. You two are pretty much the same size, so it's pretty even. Oh yeah, he gets to bring his 3 friends. And a gun. And we have to chop off your right hand. Also, we're gonna spin you around in this chair 40 times before the start. Ready?" The NFL has legislated defense out of the game under the guise of caring about concussions, which would be the first time ever. And I'm for limiting concussions. I don't want to see people's lives and families suffer from some retired player becoming a vegetable because I'm too much of a meathead to care, screaming at aglowing box in my living room like an animal. And I'm disappointed at the amount of people who are.
I'll be honest though, I don't have a problem with rules protecting the QBs. Watching a team with a bad QB is boring - I don't need to see someone throw for 6k yards to be entertained, but I don't want to watch someone go 12-25 for 200 yards and 3 INTs either. I like good defense as much as the next guy, but there's a difference between good defense and inept offense. There's maybe 20 decent to good QBs in the NFL and they're generally the face of the franchise so I have no problem protecting the investment.PI is ridiculous though - I'm all for more physical corner play.

Last edited by a moderator:
[PI is ridiculous though - I'm all for more physical corner play.
It's a combination of all of the points made, but this is truly the worst. PI ought to be a 15 yard penalty like in college. I'd like to see a stat for the percentage of time PI is called for long throws (like over 40 yards). When you add whatever that is to the chance of completion, it makes it a pretty good play.

I think a lot of this would be mitigated if they took away the automatic first down for "illegal contact". Just make it a penalty like offsides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of this would be mitigated if they took away the automatic first down for "illegal contact". Just make it a penalty like offsides.
Agreed. Is offside the only defensive penalty that isn't an automatic first down? Defenses get killed for making penalties.First Downs by Penalty since 2002 (32 teams):2012 - 9202011 - 8742010 - 7442009 - 7442008 - 6502007 - 6562006 - 7552005 - 9002004 - 8912003 - 8112002 - 833On a per team per game basis, 2012 is the highest of all time.

I noticed that too David. Here's the year end Defensive rankings of the respective teams.Denver #2 lost to Baltimore #17 38-35Seattle #4 lost to Atlanta #24 30-28Houston #7 lost to NE #25 41-28GB #11 lost to SF #3 45-31So in 3/4 games, the better defense lost. Not only that, but four of the NFL's top seven defenses played last weekend. They gave up an average of 35ppg.

Where was this after the Wild Card weekend where every game was under the total points betting line? Yes the NFL has more offense, but if you add the two playoff weekends together, I bet it is not far off the recent scoring trends.

All 8 teams have good offenses and good QBs. Even Schaub is an above-average NFL QB. Also there were 2 kick return TDs and 2 defensive TDs.

Where was this after the Wild Card weekend where every game was under the total points betting line? Yes the NFL has more offense, but if you add the two playoff weekends together, I bet it is not far off the recent scoring trends.
Total points scored including WC weekend was high but not crazy high, but the divisional round was still on the high side.
Code:
2012	4132011	4052010	4162009	3792008	3322007	3732006	3362005	2882004	3702003	376

I'll be honest though, I don't have a problem with rules protecting the QBs. Watching a team with a bad QB is boring - I don't need to see someone throw for 6k yards to be entertained, but I don't want to watch someone go 12-25 for 200 yards and 3 INTs either. I like good defense as much as the next guy, but there's a difference between good defense and inept offense. There's maybe 20 decent to good QBs in the NFL and they're generally the face of the franchise so I have no problem protecting the investment.PI is ridiculous though - I'm all for more physical corner play.
Yeah, but it's easier to have success in the passing game and now there are more average/above average QBs than ever. It's not really a coincidence. Who is to say that someone like Tim Couch couldn't be as "good" as Ryan Fitzpatrick if he came in today's NFL? Everyone seems to be in favor of this video game, Arena League-esque scoring shootouts. I don't find it all that impressive to beat a side of the ball that has one hand tied behind it's collective back. It takes away from the play and numbers. When Marino threw for 5,000 yards, it was a HUGE deal. When Brees broke that record, people were like "eh, he only had a little bit more impressive of a year than Stafford, Manning, Brady, and Rodgers." It makes 'special' offensive feats completely ordinary, and undermines the ability of the guys doing these things because it's become like shooting fish in a barrel anymore.I will say that I liked how the NFL finally started calling offensive PI a little this year. It needs to be called a fair bit more, though. Receivers already have way more of an advantage than they need. Pushing off should be called every time. Illegal picks, too.

Losing Chris Clemons in the Redskin game was devastating for the Seahawks. He's their sack leader. Without him, Seattle was unable to get pressure on Ryan without blitzing. Seattle rarely ever blitzes, but they were forced to without him. It made them a weaker defense and I'm sure they would have kept the score much lower if he got to play.The rest of these teams don't really impress me on defense.

Users who are viewing this thread