What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphin Players bullied Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito SUSPENDED (1 Viewer)

flapgreen said:
General Tso said:
There are some real lousy people on this planet. The good news is there's a very special place in hell for bullies. They'll get what's coming to them. As for Martin, here's hoping that he is able to put all this behind him. He'll be alright. Because for every one ##### there are 100 good people.
There's a special place in hell for them? Geez, what exactly do you think they did to him? I don't think an entire locker room would allow the guy to be treated as bad as its being made out to be. Just my opinion
It's funny, but when the facts aren't clear people jump to their own conclusions, most likely based on their own biases and beliefs. When I hear someone checks themselves into a hospital, I assume he didn't just do it for the hell of it. I almost always side with the person who is suffering. Some in here like to side with the tough guys who allegedly did the bullying. I've never been bullied personally, but I've witnessed it, and it's probably the most despicable form of human behavior. To kick someone when they are down is so damn cowardly and ugly. I just can't stomach it.

Drama getting higher and higher...

from Incognito's verified twitter:

@68INCOGNITO

@AdamSchefter Stop slandering my name. You hide behind "sources" who are not man enough to put their name behind the BS you report

ESPN: Martin fears retribution from IncognitoPosted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
incognito.jpg
APYep, the Jonathan Martin situation keeps getting weirder.

At a time when the Dolphins claim that tackle Jonathan Martin hasn’t alleged that he was bullied or harassed by any teammates and Incognito has demanded on Twitter that his name be cleared, Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN report that Martin hasn’t formally accused anyone of bullying or harassment because he fears retribution.

Per the report, Martin specifically fears retribution from guard Richie Incognito (pictured).

Schefter detailed a situation in which Martin was intimidated by Incognito to contribute $15,000 toward a trip to Las Vegas by the team’s offensive lineman. Martin, according to Schefter, didn’t want to go and ultimately didn’t go — but he surrendered the money anyway.

If true, it’s the really rich guy example of someone stealing someone else’s lunch money.

Schefter also explained that there are text messages and at least one voice message proving harassment and justifying Martin’s fears for retribution. Schefter added that Martin’s recent comments to Incognito explaining that Martin doesn’t blame his teammates for harassment also arose from concerns by Martin that he’ll face retaliation if he accuses Incognito of doing anything wrong.

Until Martin makes a formal complaint of bullying, the Dolphins will be able to declare that everything is fine. Even if the truth is that everything is far from it.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/espn-martin-fears-retribution-from-incognito/

I think everyone knows the type of person that Incognito is. Sure, he's one of the dirtiest players in the league. People know that and some dismiss it as part of football and that's fine. But he's also the guy that somehow managed to be found guilty of a violent crime in Lincoln, NE. Keep in mind that Nebraska has had a long history of covering up football players' rapes, fights, stealing, and all sorts of stuff. You practically have to kill the mayor in town square at noon just to get arrested there. He even threatened to rape a girl that was just raped by one of his teammates as a way to keep her from reporting the first offense. Finally, Nebraska had enough of Incognito (the program that let Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter to stay as long as they wanted) and suspended him.

He is a bad guy. It's not just on the football field. It's cliche when we say most of these guys would be in prison if it weren't for football, but it's absolutely the case for Richie Incognito. I don't think his reputation is what anyone needs to worry about.

ESPN: Martin fears retribution from IncognitoPosted by Mike Florio on November 3, 2013, 10:59 AM EST
incognito.jpg
APYep, the Jonathan Martin situation keeps getting weirder.

At a time when the Dolphins claim that tackle Jonathan Martin hasn’t alleged that he was bullied or harassed by any teammates and Incognito has demanded on Twitter that his name be cleared, Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen of ESPN report that Martin hasn’t formally accused anyone of bullying or harassment because he fears retribution.

Per the report, Martin specifically fears retribution from guard Richie Incognito (pictured).

Schefter detailed a situation in which Martin was intimidated by Incognito to contribute $15,000 toward a trip to Las Vegas by the team’s offensive lineman. Martin, according to Schefter, didn’t want to go and ultimately didn’t go — but he surrendered the money anyway.

If true, it’s the really rich guy example of someone stealing someone else’s lunch money.

Schefter also explained that there are text messages and at least one voice message proving harassment and justifying Martin’s fears for retribution. Schefter added that Martin’s recent comments to Incognito explaining that Martin doesn’t blame his teammates for harassment also arose from concerns by Martin that he’ll face retaliation if he accuses Incognito of doing anything wrong.

Until Martin makes a formal complaint of bullying, the Dolphins will be able to declare that everything is fine. Even if the truth is that everything is far from it.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/03/espn-martin-fears-retribution-from-incognito/
Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

This story is just going to get worse, I fear. Incognito is a complete scumbag and it sounds like things go deeper than that. Philbin doesn't seem like he has control of the locker room and this leadership council is a joke. No wonder the Dolphins ran off all the participants from last year.

This story is just going to get worse, I fear. Incognito is a complete scumbag and it sounds like things go deeper than that. Philbin doesn't seem like he has control of the locker room and this leadership council is a joke. No wonder the Dolphins ran off all the participants from last year.
All of which seemed to be solid people. Reggie Bush and Jake Long never got into trouble, right? They certainly carried themselves as leaders in the pros. Philbin appears to be over his head in running a football team.

Considering the veterans make way more than the rookies and they are virtually forcing the rookies to pay for everything, they need to fine these players.

What bunch of ##### bags to use their own teammates this way. Who needs enemies when you got teammates this $h!tty?

Never been a fan of Miami and hope they never win another game this year...

Incognito is a scum bag. One of the dirtiest players on the field and a dirtbag off of it. Threatening to rape a rape victim as a way to keep them quiet is despicable.

There definitely is something really wrong going down in Miami. I don't think it's just your standard workplace "ball breaking" at this point. It caused Martin to walk away from the team which is a pretty drastic measure.

I always laugh at fans protesting with signs at the Dolphins' HQ but I don't think it would hurt to stand out there with "Incognito GTFOMiami" signs tomorrow. The fans need to chime in here and not tolerate this kind shenanigans either. I never heard players sticking rookies with bills that are 10% of their gross rookie pay, this is just ridiculous. I fear Incognito is not alone.

Local news 1st story...

J.Martin's representatives AND the MIAMI DOLPHINS are going to have a full investigation and more than 1 player is being investigated but Incognito is front and center.

Local news 1st story...

J.Martin's representatives AND the MIAMI DOLPHINS are going to have a full investigation and more than 1 player is being investigated but Incognito is front and center.
Lmao, this after the team and Incognito comments earlier today. As expected, they were totally full of it.

I feel like Martin has gone and gotten lawyers to handle this, his days in Miami are done. Or are they? Miami could suspend Incogstupido the rest of the year and then cut him end of season. Martin is locked up another 2-3 years...does Miami trade him? Martin retire? I'm baffled how this is gonna unfold.

If you know you're going to get stuck with a 30K bill, don't go out with these clowns.

Stop at the store on the way home, buy a frozen pizza and a sixer, have 15 minutes of private time on the web...wake up refreshed with 29,980 dollars in your pocket.

Both sides are wrong in this thing. Martin needs to quit being such a pansy and Incognito needs to quit breathing air.

If you know you're going to get stuck with a 30K bill, don't go out with these clowns.

Stop at the store on the way home, buy a frozen pizza and a sixer, have 15 minutes of private time on the web...wake up refreshed with 29,980 dollars in your pocket.

Both sides are wrong in this thing. Martin needs to quit being such a pansy and Incognito needs to quit breathing air.
Uh, Martin wasn't the guy who got extorted $30,000. It was another player. Sounds like a pattern of thuggery to me. But keep blaming the victims.

Last edited:

Martin was extorted for $15k last year when he was a rookie, that must have carried over, perhaps he even tried to put a stop to it with other rookies this year, who knows? We're past kiss and make up, lawyers or representatives are involved, this is going to Goodell's desk at some point, that's the reason I am befuddled on how this will turn out.

Goodell suspended people for a year when he thought they were trying to injure another player...this is not that far down the slippery slope from that. Bullying, extortion, this could be worse in some ways. I'm past trying to defend the players, this has taken on a life of its own. I want to know the details but Martin is moving forward.

I always laugh at fans protesting with signs at the Dolphins' HQ but I don't think it would hurt to stand out there with "Incognito GTFOMiami" signs tomorrow. The fans need to chime in here and not tolerate this kind shenanigans either. I never heard players sticking rookies with bills that are 10% of their gross rookie pay, this is just ridiculous. I fear Incognito is not alone.
i've heard of first rounders under old CBA getting stuck with 10-15 K bills, but you are right, not like this...

maybe a new video game - grand theft miami dolphins.

* richie is going to wish he was incognito during the league investigation.

Ministry of Pain said:
Hey 2002, I definitely would like to give your reply the due time it deserves. I'm out to cheer on the Canes tonight, hopefully it's not just them walking the plank tonight. I don't think my POV is ridiculous at all, some here will share in my view as some will share in yours. I'll check back in maybe later tonight or tomorrow, definitely appreciate what you are saying but I have some different takes on it.

I wish what happened had not happened, but I can't believe the whole OLine was acting like a d-bag, perhaps Inc was the ring leaser, we'll know more after Goodell, the NFL, players union all take a microscope to him, I'm sure he won't be loving life the next week while Miami has a few extra days off.
Hopefully you had a nice time cheering for your team last night. I don't follow college football much--so I'm not sure how the Canes did. I was curious to see where our points of view differed. I noticed that you made some posts on the same thread today that seem to indicate that you now seem to agree with my assessment--but I also could be misinterpreting things. I agree with you that it looks as though we'll soon be finding out about a lot of the stuff that possibly went on in that locker room-- and it certainly seems like this was far more than an one time incident. The Dolphins are a decently competitive team this year. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts the team and locker room going forward.

Sure...and then you're a selfish **** who puts yourself above the team, and the rest of the locker room constantly hazes you. And if you're not a clear-cut starter, that kind of reputation absolutely factors into how much playing time you get or whether you even keep your job at all.

In the real world, this stuff is hardly ever as simple as "just punch the guy" or "stay away from them".

i've heard of first rounders under old CBA getting stuck with 10-15 K bills, but you are right, not like this...

maybe a new video game - grand theft miami dolphins.

* richie is going to wish he was incognito during the league investigation.
going out with the boys and sticking the rook w/ the bill is nothing special in sports... I remember Junio Seau stealing Ryan Leaf's credit card (just think what holy hell would come if a player did that today) because he didn't want to hang out with them. Players aren't going to let up on flipping them the bill just because of a new CBA but to purposely drain a dudes bank account is another thing entirely.

Ministry of Pain said:
Hey 2002, I definitely would like to give your reply the due time it deserves. I'm out to cheer on the Canes tonight, hopefully it's not just them walking the plank tonight. I don't think my POV is ridiculous at all, some here will share in my view as some will share in yours. I'll check back in maybe later tonight or tomorrow, definitely appreciate what you are saying but I have some different takes on it.

I wish what happened had not happened, but I can't believe the whole OLine was acting like a d-bag, perhaps Inc was the ring leaser, we'll know more after Goodell, the NFL, players union all take a microscope to him, I'm sure he won't be loving life the next week while Miami has a few extra days off.
Hopefully you had a nice time cheering for your team last night. I don't follow college football much--so I'm not sure how the Canes did. I was curious to see where our points of view differed. I noticed that you made some posts on the same thread today that seem to indicate that you now seem to agree with my assessment--but I also could be misinterpreting things. I agree with you that it looks as though we'll soon be finding out about a lot of the stuff that possibly went on in that locker room-- and it certainly seems like this was far more than an one time incident. The Dolphins are a decently competitive team this year. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts the team and locker room going forward.
I'm ashamed as a Dolphins fan and the new "news" seemed to be a lot more incriminating. Incogstupido had the audacity to launch at Schefter and try to intimidate him on Twitter...this is not gonna end well for Richie, Martin, and the Phins. It's bad all the way around.

"Representatives" sounds like he has hired or assembled a legal team of sorts to speak for him and handle this, both with the Phins and perhaps league offices.

More NFL drama that I could live without, seems to be getting worse as we tune in this week to "All My Phins

This organization is a joke.

Martin is alleging player misconduct(Official on CBS), he is 100% MOVING FORWARD WITH THIS...I cannot imagine him ever playing in the NFL again, I really can't. No one is going to want to play with him even if some view him as brave at the moment. Just because something might be morally right doesn't mean it is the smartest thing to do.

What a hot mess

LaConfora says Incogstupido is the ring leader. I want to know who is in the ring, I want to know if JAKE LONG knew of this last season, it might have played a role in him leaving even when Miami was prepared to match offer and he said no thanks. I have a lot of questions and I'm sure Roger Goodell is going to take up the cause if he hasn't called Martin directly already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to sound dismissive, as I think bullying is despicable, but doesnt this type of thing happen in every locker room in the league? Giving rookies mohawks, making them pay for meals, havign them carry all the shoulder pads, etc? The novelty of this story is not that this type of things happens, but thats its caused someone to have some kind of breakdown, which is heartbreakingly sad.

Not to sound dismissive, as I think bullying is despicable, but doesnt this type of thing happen in every locker room in the league? Giving rookies mohawks, making them pay for meals, havign them carry all the shoulder pads, etc? The novelty of this story is not that this type of things happens, but thats its caused someone to have some kind of breakdown, which is heartbreakingly sad.
I think its not usually a problem, but it sounds like Incognito is that guy that has to take it too far, to a point where a high 2nd round pick leaves the team in the middle of his 2nd season and lawyer up.

Indulge me as I am simply going to post as much as I can dig up down here in the 305

-Martin never checked into a hospital.

I believe that because it was reported that he was with family...Miami FO put out there he was going to a hospital. This is why Martin said don't believe everything you read...he wasn't saying the bullying did not occur, he was saying he didn't go to any mental hospital. I don't think he is seeking treatment for mental issues currently above anything other than psychologist visits to vent.

-Bill Cowher openly questioning Philbin leadership

Good

-Incognito has been terrorizing the current rookies and also instructing them to not say anything

I think this guy is gonna fry. Goodell should suspend him immediately just like a cop is sent home after they are involved in a shooting. Enough evidence already to separate him from the NFL for now.

This is going to be a catalysis for some major change in the NFL I think. There are many layers to this onion that are going to be pulled back.

Extortion is a little above hazing, yes/no? Martin is claiming he gave $15k to Incognito for a Vegas trip he opted not to go on but was fearful and paid it anyways. Maybe he saw it happening again this year and he simply felt he had seen enough...conjecture on my part. Maybe when they wouldn't sit with him in his mind he was like "I gave you $15k, go Bleep Yourself" and he walked out.

This is going to be a catalysis for some major change in the NFL I think. There are many layers to this onion that are going to be pulled back.
And it ain't pretty, just embarrassing for the fan base down here. Owner should be forced to sell the team to another investor who can keep the team in Miami. We need new ownership, I blame Dumbo.

I'm surprised Incognito is part of their leadership council. Would love to know what they were thinking with that.

I'm surprised Incognito is part of their leadership council. Would love to know what they were thinking with that.
Shoot, the vets were able to have the young guys pay for everything, while Incognito is the "bad guy" enforcer everyone can blame it on. Sweet setup for them.

From Armando Salguero...

Players on the Dolphins, under review by the NFL, may have violated portions of the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy if allegations of harassment of offensive lineman Jonathan Martin and other allegationsinvolving the treatment of younger players are proven true, according to league sources.

The NFL Personal Conduct policy imposes a standard of conduct for league and club employes, including players and coaches. That policy states employees of the NFL or a member clubs are "held to a higher standard and expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values upon which the League is based, and is lawful.

"Persons who fail to live up to this standard of conduct are guilty of conduct detrimental and subject to discipline, even where the conduct itself does not result in conviction of a crime."

Employees found in violation of the policy may have discipline imposed for any of the following circumstances:

• Violent or threatening behavior among employees, whether in or outside the workplace.

• Conduct that imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person; and

• Conduct that undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.

In recent days there have been numerous reports of alleged harassment or mistreatment or even "bullying" of Martin. That alleged bullying included Martin being the subject of a prank in the team's lunch room when other players invited him to have lunch with them. Martin, the story goes, sat down and his teammates all got up and left him alone at the table.

ESPN and CBSSports reported today that Dolphins guard Richie Incognito is one of the leaders of the alleged poor treatment of Martin and gave examples of the veteran guard's actions.

Incognito and the club have pushed back against such reports. Incognitodefended himself on twitter and the Dolphins released a

statement saying the club knows of no bullying that is going on relative to Martin.

[Update: The Dolphins released a statement at approximately 4:30 Sunday saying, "We received notification today from Jonathan's representation about allegations of player misconduct. We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another."]

The NFL is conducting a review on the matter which could lead to actions if it finds violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. The NFL Players Association is also not conducting a formal investigation.

And this issue is bound to become more complex before it gets resolved.

Part of the issue is that Martin, which the club maintains is ill, is now through representatives apparently offering details and naming names in incidents of misconduct. But, interestingly, the club is aware of at least one incident in which Martin participated in what could be construed as pranksterism or hazing or, bullying.

Earlier this year, members of the offensive line took guard Josh Samuda's car keys and moved the car from where Samuda had parked it. Martin, a club source confirmed today, was part of that prank.

Also, one source tells me that the same joke that apparently sent Martin over the proverbial edge -- the lunchroom prank in which players abandon one teammate -- was done to guard Nate Garner the week before.

And Martin was allegedly involved in helping to perpetrate that one.

Another layer and tangential to this story is the Dolphins embracing of rookie hazing. The NFL confirmed to me that rookie hazing does indeed fall under the NFL personal conduct policy. And so at the point where players are forced to shave or dye their hair, or carry gear for veterans, or pay for meals out or bring ordered meals on team flights for veterans, it all falls under the policy.

There are numerous and well documented accounts of such hazing.

Do they rise to the level of bullying? That is unclear.

Are the acts subject to the NFL Personal Conduct Policy? Absolutely.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/#storylink=cpy

DT Tim Bowens(One of Miami's best ever) was packed and ready to go because he didn't want to be hazed. Don Shula found out and the hazing stopped.

I blame Philbin if Martin went to him and he did nothing. Good Bye Phil...BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE BYE

I can't tell either. But Incognito has been quoting Buddha recently. I think it's funny when 90ish IQ people try to quote philosophy like they understand what it means.

@JeffDarlington: Richie Incognito was advised by Joe Philbin tonight he has been indefinitely suspended by team while NFL investigates

With all of the bullying issues in schools, workplaces, and elsewhere, it is disheartening to read some people blowing this off or blaming the victim. Adults can be the victims of bullying as well and recommending that an adult resolve the bullying issue by punching their colleague is also disheartening.
I have a family member that went crazy out of nowhere and when we started to try and figure it out we found that he was the source of his factory humor and they picked at him constantly and had demeaning names for him. If he had hit any of them which he was more than capable of he would have been immediately fired. It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard of.

Users who are viewing this thread