What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphin Players bullied Jonathan Martin, Richie Incognito SUSPENDED (1 Viewer)

@JeffDarlington: Richie Incognito was advised by Joe Philbin tonight he has been indefinitely suspended by team while NFL investigates
TY ID, great info.

To me that says a lot about this situation, incredible turn of events and Philbin may have to do his just to save his own job. Philbn might have to step down if he was told back in April/May and did nothing.

With all of the bullying issues in schools, workplaces, and elsewhere, it is disheartening to read some people blowing this off or blaming the victim. Adults can be the victims of bullying as well and recommending that an adult resolve the bullying issue by punching their colleague is also disheartening.
I have a family member that went crazy out of nowhere and when we started to try and figure it out we found that he was the source of his factory humor and they picked at him constantly and had demeaning names for him. If he had hit any of them which he was more than capable of he would have been immediately fired. It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard of.
How is he doing?

I keep thinking we're done for the night but more and more info leaking.

I will tell you a lot of Miami fans down here locally are not happy with Martin. Don't pile on but most fans think Richie is a pretty good LG.

I will tell you a lot of Miami fans down here locally are not happy with Martin. Don't pile on but most fans think Richie is a pretty good LG.
So if he weren't a pretty good G how would they feel? Sorry, but that is pathetic.

So if he weren't a pretty good G how would they feel?Sorry, but that is pathetic.
Jurb, we're talking the season ticket holders that buy them on the 1st day of renewal. The fans that would sacrifice their first born for a Lombardi Trophy, they exist in every city across the country.

I changed my original stance some as I started learning more information but the media also shaped this story pretty hard. Fans are only thinking wins and losses, this team has been ####ty for a long time now and fans are tired of it.

I stood at the 50 yard line today watching my wife finish a 40 mile Dolphin Cycling Challenge for UM/Cancer Sylvester Center :thumbup: I had never seen the stadium form that perspective or from the field level looking up, I felt a feeling of pride. Then when I came home and started reading all this, just sickened me.

But I blame Owner-GM-Coach in that order...I want the team taken away from Ross. He doesn't deserve to own them.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all of the bullying issues in schools, workplaces, and elsewhere, it is disheartening to read some people blowing this off or blaming the victim. Adults can be the victims of bullying as well and recommending that an adult resolve the bullying issue by punching their colleague is also disheartening.
I have a family member that went crazy out of nowhere and when we started to try and figure it out we found that he was the source of his factory humor and they picked at him constantly and had demeaning names for him. If he had hit any of them which he was more than capable of he would have been immediately fired. It's one of the saddest things I've ever heard of.
How is he doing?
Much better with a new work environment but he's got lingering issues from time to time in functioning on basic things with his family that I think come from his childhood coupled with going through this. I hope he continues counseling. This went on for a long time so I can't imagine being in his shoes. Your brain really learns some weird survival tactics during those bad times and that's the type of stuff he has to get past. He is highly paranoid of this happening again and we all have to keep an eye out and give him encouragement. It just shows how awful people can be to one another. At our roots we all have primal tendencies to out alpha the other and look for weaknesses in others. Some of us learn and move past that and others are immature and childish.

The timing of this entire thing that makes this absolutely terrible for the NFL---as the Dolphins play on Monday Night Football in a week. The Monday night game is the Dolphins and the Bucs-- which is not a premier matchup by any means. However-- we do know that this will be a polarizing issue for the next few days and the national media will have a field day about this on Monday Night Football. Basically--not only can the Dolphins or the NFL not sweep this under the rug--rather--this thing is likely to blow up even more once it gains full traction. It seriously might be the only way that the media could make a game between the Dolphins and the Bucs remotely interesting.

So if he weren't a pretty good G how would they feel?Sorry, but that is pathetic.
Jurb, we're talking the season ticket holders that buy them on the 1st day of renewal. The fans that would sacrifice their first born for a Lombardi Trophy, they exist in every city across the country.I changed my original stance some as I started learning more information but the media also shaped this story pretty hard. Fans are only thinking wins and losses, this team has been ####ty for a long time now and fans are tired of it.

I stood at the 50 yard line today watching my wife finish a 40 mile Dolphin Cycling Challenge for UM/Cancer Sylvester Center :thumbup: I had never seen the stadium form that perspective or from the field level looking up, I felt a feeling of pride. Then when I came home and started reading all this, just sickened me.

But I blame Owner-GM-Coach in that order...I want the team taken away from Ross. He doesn't deserve to own them.
It still doesn't make sense. If this is all true, Incognito basically forced a young and promising tackle off the team. Where is that in the fans reaction? On top of that, he is likely a cancer in the locker room and for the organization and it's just nobody knew it until now. Maybe this is EXACTLY why Long began to regress in Mia and then decided to leave. There is no place for behavior like this and that should be at the forefront for everyone, including fans.

Richie is going to be the initial scapegoat or sacrifice but it won't be enough. Martin is gonna make this pretty awful and I believe right or wrong, the backlash from Miami fans locally down here in Miami/South Florida is not going to be good. I will be interested to see how the morning radio shows handle this including former Dolphin Joe Rose 6-10AM 560 WQAM.

It still doesn't make sense. If this is all true, Incognito basically forced a young and promising tackle off the team. Where is that in the fans reaction? On top of that, he is likely a cancer in the locker room and for the organization and it's just nobody knew it until now. Maybe this is EXACTLY why Long began to regress in Mia and then decided to leave.There is no place for behavior like this and that should be at the forefront for everyone, including fans.
Some feel Martin should have sucked it up and kept going until the end of the season, not in the middle of the season at 4-4.

I remember when Incognito was a Ram. He had a rep for being a hothead, an undisciplined player, and pretty much an all-around #####. None of this surprises me.

Suggesting that Martin should have sucked it up and dealt with it, if it is as bad as it might have been, is moronic.

and so it begins...

people always come up with any possible reason to discredit the whistleblower, no matter how much smoke or fire there may be. i am of the opinion that if this problem really did run this deep, the long-term benefits from bringing it to light will far outweigh whatever costs may come from doing this during the season.

What about blaming the people that did this? Seems like the ACTUAL BULLIES should get some blame...
No leadership on this team, it's a pattern that has gotten old.
Correct. Thug leadership on that team. Somehow I cognition was given extra liberties and support for his actions. It seems he was the leader.

Richie is going to be the initial scapegoat or sacrifice but it won't be enough. Martin is gonna make this pretty awful and I believe right or wrong, the backlash from Miami fans locally down here in Miami/South Florida is not going to be good. I will be interested to see how the morning radio shows handle this including former Dolphin Joe Rose 6-10AM 560 WQAM.
Interesting how you label Incognito a scapegoat.

I remember when Incognito was a Ram. He had a rep for being a hothead, an undisciplined player, and pretty much an all-around #####. None of this surprises me.

Suggesting that Martin should have sucked it up and dealt with it, if it is as bad as it might have been, is moronic.
It's a fine attitude you have on these boards, I tend to agree with you as we learn more about this but you are not thinking about the fans who pay money and sit in the seats on Sundays. I go to some games but I am in here a lot, watching Red Zone and local telecasts of other games most of the time, it's easy for us to say they should behave this way and that way.

There seems to be a disconnect here, also the boards get a lot of info, a lot of these fans are just going on what the local news says.

It's a fine attitude you have on these boards, I tend to agree with you as we learn more about this but you are not thinking about the fans who pay money and sit in the seats on Sundays. I go to some games but I am in here a lot, watching Red Zone and local telecasts of other games most of the time, it's easy for us to say they should behave this way and that way.

There seems to be a disconnect here, also the boards get a lot of info, a lot of these fans are just going on what the local news says.
Oh, so a person should allow themselves to be bullied because making an issue about it might upset the fans? My God, do you even understand what you are saying?

It's 100% true, the front office knew about this going back to last Monday, did not tell the media until Wed, didn't respond and had to know Martin was not in a mental rehab so they lied...don't sugarcoat what you want to say Sky, I'm not defending the bullies. I'm telling you that Miami this morning and Incognito were refuting everything and now suddenly Incognito has been suspended by Philbin...Dolphins made sure they put that in the press release that Incognito was informed "By Philbin", complete damage control over there and they are losing. So yeah they are gonna sacrifice Incognito to appease folks but it won't be enough, it's too late.

It's 100% true, the front office knew about this going back to last Monday, did not tell the media until Wed, didn't respond and had to know Martin was not in a mental rehab so they lied...don't sugarcoat what you want to say Sky, I'm not defending the bullies. I'm telling you that Miami this morning and Incognito were refuting everything and now suddenly Incognito has been suspended by Philbin...Dolphins made sure they put that in the press release that Incognito was informed "By Philbin", complete damage control over there and they are losing. So yeah they are gonna sacrifice Incognito to appease folks but it won't be enough, it's too late.
This wreaks of the same foul odor of the PSU thing. Not as bad in nature, but from an coverup standpoint. Lots is going on here. I wonder how much we will get to find out about.

Oh, so a person should allow themselves to be bullied because making an issue about it might upset the fans? My God, do you even understand what you are saying?
See what you are doing is getting emotional here. I am just telling you what the locals in Miami who will be calling in tomorrow and I highly suggest you listen to Rose's podcast as well as Dan Lebatard who will have oodles to comment on here. You are somehow trying to project on me your emotions about this event. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply telling you what is gonna happen. I'm not excusing it but there are going to be a lot of people who do not agree with your position. Just like about half this country votes right, the other half left, some like chocolate, other like vanilla, everyone is entitled to their POV or opinion.

Miami is now down a starting LG and RT, that's what fans know. Why can't these 2 professionals paid millions work it out? That's what a lot of fans are going to say.

Joe Rose on the TV right now...he is saying he has never seen anything like this, looks shocked and a little dumbfounded.

This wreaks of the same foul odor of the PSU thing. Not as bad in nature, but from an coverup standpoint. Lots is going on here. I wonder how much we will get to find out about.
Really? Child rape?

I think/hope what you mean is how deep this is going to reach and the ripple effects around the NFL?

Really? Child rape?I think/hope what you mean is how deep this is going to reach and the ripple effects around the NFL?
I was very clear in saying not in nature, from a coverup standpoint.

I don't know what happened yet. It seems like you think you know, and since there is currently an investigation I suggest you email Roger Gooddell to let him know the facts.

NBC 6-Miami

Joe Rose preaching about the closeness of an OLine of all units. To hear these stories coming out right now, tough to digest.

Rose is saying they have serious stuff on Richie, Rose also saying that Richie is a good guy form a media standpoint to work with, he says this is hard to believe, used the word unbelievable several times.

It's local TV, easy for us to pile on perhaps but it is what it is.

Rose saying young players coming out against Senior players, more stories will come out...Philbin and Ireland are the culprits, Rose went for the throat, good for him.

Rose saying players said Martin quit on the team...the fans are going to hear that and react.

See what you are doing is getting emotional here. I am just telling you what the locals in Miami who will be calling in tomorrow and I highly suggest you listen to Rose's podcast as well as Dan Lebatard who will have oodles to comment on here. You are somehow trying to project on me your emotions about this event. Don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply telling you what is gonna happen. I'm not excusing it but there are going to be a lot of people who do not agree with your position. Just like about half this country votes right, the other half left, some like chocolate, other like vanilla, everyone is entitled to their POV or opinion.

Miami is now down a starting LG and RT, that's what fans know. Why can't these 2 professionals paid millions work it out? That's what a lot of fans are going to say.

Joe Rose on the TV right now...he is saying he has never seen anything like this, looks shocked and a little dumbfounded.
I am not emotional about this at all; I am just taking the rational approach.

It sounds like these two millionaires cannot work it out because one (Incognito) took it too far, and the other (Martin) even tried to get help from his coach, but he was rebuffed. Sounds like he was put in a situation where he has no other choice.

And no way am I am gonna torture myself by listening to LeBatard. :lol:

Hard to believe we're talking about professional football players.
Yes, they are usually the most respectful and dignified people.
Fair point, but the bullies are only half the equation. I wouldn't have believed that an NFL guard could really get bullied before this story.
Yeah, I was just picking low hanging sarcasm fruit there. I felt guilty about 2 seconds after I posted it.

@JeffDarlington: Richie Incognito was advised by Joe Philbin tonight he has been indefinitely suspended by team while NFL investigates
TY ID, great info.

To me that says a lot about this situation, incredible turn of events and Philbin may have to do his just to save his own job. Philbn might have to step down if he was told back in April/May and did nothing.
If it comes out that Philbin knew Martin had been racially threaten and he did nothing about it then his job is certainly on the line here. Now hes cutting heads to save his own skin.

I was very clear in saying not in nature, from a coverup standpoint.
OK Jurb, I would always give you any benefit of the doubt anyways, I agree with the coverup, it's pretty bad. It dates back to last Spring.
I get what you're saying about Incognito being a scapegoat. I think he was enabled to behave this way. That doesn't free him of responsibility. I just think there is more going on, beyond him.

Maybe MOP thinks Incognito is being scapegoated because others are guilty too. If so, then I can see that. I took scapegoating as in Incognito did nothing wrong and being offered by management as the guilty party.

I don't know what happened yet. It seems like you think you know, and since there is currently an investigation I suggest you email Roger Gooddell to let him know the facts.
It did happen in the cafeteria last Monday, that's a fact. It was not revealed to the media until Wed, that's a fact. You can go to Armando Salguero's Twitter account, he is the beat writer for the Miami Herald and is with the team on a daily basis. I'm not pulling this stuff out of thin air so please at lest respect that I am trying to give this palace as much local information as I can verify. I'm not trying to win any awards or break a story or even argue in defense of anyone.

I'm a Miami Dolphins fan, I was born here, I grew up here, I'm in a little bit of shock to be honest with you. It's bad enough we suck ### but then we gotta turn this place into a 3 ring circus for a while, it's really sad.

Please don't be mad or irate with me, I'm just trying to convey what is happening here.

It still doesn't make sense. If this is all true, Incognito basically forced a young and promising tackle off the team. Where is that in the fans reaction? On top of that, he is likely a cancer in the locker room and for the organization and it's just nobody knew it until now. Maybe this is EXACTLY why Long began to regress in Mia and then decided to leave.There is no place for behavior like this and that should be at the forefront for everyone, including fans.
Some feel Martin should have sucked it up and kept going until the end of the season, not in the middle of the season at 4-4.
Some South Floridans are horrible people.

Some South Floridans are horrible people.
People in general are pretty awful.

TY ID, great info.

If it comes out that Philbin knew Martin had been racially threaten and he did nothing about it then his job is certainly on the line here. Now hes cutting heads to save his own skin.
Exactly Kelly and that's where I am trying to steer this is back to Ireland and Philbin. Folks in here seem to want to judge what the Miami Dolphins should do based on a media that is going to push push push for "Bullying"...that's a made up word by the media for this. Martin did not say he was bullied, but when the media uses that term it gives a lot of sympathy for Martin and many posters in here have already taken that position.

I think Martin was pushed beyond some light hazing. I find it very hideous what Incognito did in extortion of the $15k, that's the part that really kills me and is criminal in my opinion.

It should be noted that players in the last 2 drafts are not making the same money they were 3-4 years ago but the vets who got similar hazing when they entered the league want to get their turn to haze the rookies and it is not flying down here in Miami.

I think I just misunderstood your use of scapegoat.
No problem MTS, we got good memories but their short :)

We're good, let's just make sure we listen and clarify when we need to with each other. I think you have some good thoughts but don't allow the media to dictate your feelings about this.

I will take in some of the local radio tomorrow and post about it. It's gonna be a crazy day. Media from all over are going to come in like vultures to find a story.

Ireland must be ####ting a brick right now.

From NBC Sports

So much for Jonathan Martin being concerned about retribution.

On Sunday, the representatives of the Dolphins tackle provided evidence to the team supporting Martin’s contention that he was harassed, specifically by guard Richie Incognito and more generally by the culture of the team’s locker room.

The decision to promptly suspend Incognito for conduct detrimental to the teamnecessarily means that the evidence tendered by Martin’s camp was strong, and that it was clear. The evidence is believed to include text messages from Incognito to Martin and at least one voice message.

The plain terms of the team’s statement indicate that Incognito wasn’t merely suspended pending further investigation. The Dolphins already have determined that Incognito engaged in conduct detrimental to the team. Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team may suspend a player up to four weeks without pay for detrimental conduct. The NFL also may impose discipline for violations of the personal conduct policy and/or other league rules and policies.

The NFL will review the situation, which means the NFL will investigate. Incognito has rights under the CBA, and he will be entitled to oppose the team-imposed suspension.

While the full story has not yet been told, it’s obvious that the Dolphins have seen and heard enough to believe that Incognito did something wrong, despite his recent rant on Twitter in which he demanded that his name be cleared.

For now, his name has been cleared — indefinitely from the team’s roster.

I don't claim to know all or most of the facts here, but this reminds me of the "hazing" that happened a few years ago with the college band in Florida.

A lot of bad and unusual things seem to happen in Florida!!!

Miami Dolphins guard Richie Incognito has been suspended indefinitely by the team, Incognito told NFL Media's Jeff Darlington on Sunday. Coach Joe Philbin delivered the news to Incognito.

The team later confirmed the suspension, which was for conduct detrimental to the team.

The news came after a day that included a flurry of developments concerning Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin's absence from the team. Martin, who left the team last week after an emotional breakdown, is expected to be placed on the non-football illness list this week.

Incognito is at the heart of the NFL investigation into what happened, Darlington reported on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Final."

One issue, according to a source close to Martin, was the $15,000 that teammates expected him to pay for a Las Vegas trip that he didn't attend, NFL Media's Albert Breer reported. Other reported instances of intimidation were allegedly captured in voicemails and texts.

Martin formally notified the Dolphins on Sunday about potential player misconduct.

"We received notification today from Jonathan's representation about allegations of player misconduct," the Dolphins said Sunday in a statement. "We are taking these allegations very seriously and plan to review the matter further. We have also reached out to the NFL and asked them to conduct an objective and thorough review. As an organization, we are committed to a culture of team-first accountability and respect for one another."

The NFL has been in contact with the team on the matter, but the suspension came from the team.

"We have been in contact with the team on this matter since last week and we will conduct a thorough review," the NFL said Sunday in a statement.

Honestly, I've always thought the idea of hazing was rather silly. It could be fun if light-hearted, but you are always gonna get morons who take it way too far, and that is when #### gets out of hand, and it sounds like that is what took place here. It should be interesting to see how this plays out and what effect it will have across the league as far as hazing in the future goes.

Honestly, I've always thought the idea of hazing was rather silly. It could be fun if light-hearted, but you are always gonna get morons who take it way too far, and that is when #### gets out of hand, and it sounds like that is what took place here. It should be interesting to see how this plays out and what effect it will have across the league as far as hazing in the future goes.
it'll certainly be highlighted front and center with the Dolphins playing on Monday Night Football next week. I'm sure Costas and every other national media sports personality will be spewing their views on the issue with their next game being nationally televised.

Users who are viewing this thread