What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Dolphins at Defending World Champion Kansas City Chiefs (+3.5, 44) - Yep We Are Cuttin’ Glass Over Here Today! *** (1 Viewer)

Deep down, we all knew this was going to be the outcome. Miami's been the biggest fakers in the league this year. I love watching frauds get exposed.

I didn't see that game as an indictment of MIA.

Brutalized by injuries, and on the road to the defending world champs in historic cold.

They probably got a bit too much hype earlier in the year, but that isn't their fault. They still have cheat code speed on offense, they need to beat the good teams next year, and they know for sure that home field advantage next January might be nice
The loss to the Titans is the one that they'll look back on and know that was when they blew it. They win that game, they win the division (if everything else still plays out the same way) and get the 2 seed.

So Mahomes takes a hit to the head that shatters his helmet and they not only bring him a new one with no timeout needed but they don’t send him to be evaluated for concussion right away. That dude has some kind of pull in this league.
He seemed fine. Not every whack to the head causes a concussion -- that's why they wear helmets.
I didn’t see the hit. But the argument of “he seemed fine” is one of the excuses that teams have used for years to avoid guys missing time from concussions.

So Mahomes takes a hit to the head that shatters his helmet and they not only bring him a new one with no timeout needed but they don’t send him to be evaluated for concussion right away. That dude has some kind of pull in this league.
He seemed fine. Not every whack to the head causes a concussion -- that's why they wear helmets.
I didn’t see the hit. But the argument of “he seemed fine” is one of the excuses that teams have used for years to avoid guys missing time from concussions.
That's why they have independent neurologists on the field observing player behavior.

That's why they have independent neurologists on the field observing player behavior.
Did they bring Mahomes into the tent? Check him on the sidelines? Seriously asking — as already noted, I didn’t see “it” happen. Completely possible they checked him out thoroughly.

I agree, complete malpractice by the NFL to not make him come out for evaluation.

Great photo of the moment of impact.

1. What an amazing shot by the photographer Emily Curiel
2. That’s pretty clearly a pretty vicious hit to the head that could have caused a concussion (hopefully he’s also evaluated throughout the week as sometimes concussions crop up later)
3. I’m guessing the helmet did a great job there in dispersing the impact much like today’s modern cars absorb a bunch of the impact by shattering rather than transferring that impact to the human body.

Sure, but I’ve seen players sent off the field for a heck of a lot less than a hit that shatters a helmet.

To be fair the weather was so effing cold last night that the plastic on that helmet just had to be brittle anyway. On top of that, it looked to me that the plastic itself is not really the barrier that protects the head like the old helmets used to.

It looked like a thin plastic skin just acting as a covering. And honestly if it takes the impact and breaks, I'm guessing it may be a design feature in that particular helmet.
That could definitely be a factor, I’ve never seen anything like it happen before. There’s no doubt they win that game no matter what, he just has a masterful pull with the refs.

Did they bring Mahomes into the tent? Check him on the sidelines? Seriously asking — as already noted, I didn’t see “it” happen. Completely possible they checked him out thoroughly.
No, they did not bring him into the tent which I think is inexcusable. He even ran a couple plays with that piece missing from the helmet. Then they stopped play to let him swap helmets. They didn't charge KC a timeout either.

I think Mahomes did not have a concussion, and would have expected him to be cleared pretty quickly to return. But given the violence of the hit (I don't think I have ever seen a helmet crack before in an NFL game) they had to at least do an evaluation. Plus stopping the game without requiring a KC timeout was also inexcusable to me.

It certainly isn't the reason Miami lost the game, but those officials should be severely criticized for that sequence.

To be fair the weather was so effing cold last night that the plastic on that helmet just had to be brittle anyway. On top of that, it looked to me that the plastic itself is not really the barrier that protects the head like the old helmets used to.

It looked like a thin plastic skin just acting as a covering. And honestly if it takes the impact and breaks, I'm guessing it may be a design feature in that particular helmet.
Just when you thought you had seen it all,Patrick Mahomes plays with a hole in his helmut.
And how many plays did he run before it was noticed?
3 I think. Maybe it was 2.

Yep - probably would have been concussed if the helmet didn’t break.

That said, it was absolutely leading with the helmet and should have been 15. Probably will be a fine.

I for one do not want the officials pulling a team's QB off the field in a playoff game just because he got hit and shows no signs of being concussed.

It's good that we protect players, but some of you guys are going way too far with this.

I agree, complete malpractice by the NFL to not make him come out for evaluation.

Great photo of the moment of impact.

1. What an amazing shot by the photographer Emily Curiel
2. That’s pretty clearly a pretty vicious hit to the head that could have caused a concussion (hopefully he’s also evaluated throughout the week as sometimes concussions crop up later)
3. I’m guessing the helmet did a great job there in dispersing the impact much like today’s modern cars absorb a bunch of the impact by shattering rather than transferring that impact to the human body.
Great image. Reminds me of those old videos where they'd show the two team helmets crashing into each other.

Users who are viewing this thread