What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins Glad To Have Ricky Back (1 Viewer)

I must admit this small hands comment cracks me up.

The ONLY time I've ever been concerned about small hands was when I was looking for a proctologist.

Mr Expert on Ricky Williams BlueOnion . . . .

In 2002 he had 383 carries and fumbled 5 times.

In 2003 he had 392 carries and fumbled 5 times.

PLEASE tell me how that is a fumbling problem ???
Those are lost fumbles - he had 7 fumbles each of those years. Just clarifying.

Ricky week 6 - what'dya think?  Projections?
10-50-1
I'm not too concerned with Week 6, other then he get in there and look good for a handful of plays (and that Brown fails ;-) .Week 7 vs KC and Week 8 vs NO is the big "fish or cut bait" test. One of the two will bust out for big runs, and win the 75% job ESPECIALLY if the Fins win. Ricky has a nose for the end-zone, even in that 2003 year that all the pro-Brown posters seem to benchmark Ricky too... he scored 10 times.

Noticing this thread is stretching out as Brown-fans are hearing what they want to hear and negating pro-Ricky posts... and vice versa.

Ricky, week six:38 carries, 209 yards, 8 TDs.Who th eheck knows how he will be used - at least well enough to make any kind of prediction?

The ONLY time I've ever been concerned about small hands was when I was looking for a proctologist.

It's how many you lose that's more important... 5 lost, 7 fumbles... given his 390 attempts... the fumble-per-carry ratio isn't that bad... around 55 carries... Edge is a 60 carry, LT2 was at a fumble every 56.6 carries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Week 7 vs KC and Week 8 vs NO is the big "fish or cut bait" test.
:yes:This is exactly how I see it playing out - Ricky used very occasionally - but he will get his first carry EARLY so Saban can lay that issue to rest.Gut call - I predict the Dolphins' first offensive series we'll see a shared backfield - essentially, both starting.

BTW Otis is the Ronnie Brown bandwagon still full or did you lose a couple people this week?
:shrug: Weeks like this make for a nice weeding out of those who are not really dedicated to the cause.

That reminds me, I haven't watched the Big Old Stone highlight video yet today.

It's how many you lose that's more important... 5 lost, 7 fumbles... given his 390 attempts... the fumble-per-carry ratio isn't that bad... around 55 carries... Edge is a 60 carry, LT2 was at a fumble every 56.6 carries.
not to coaches - it's how many you put on the carpet that is important.That said, I was just beiong accurate, I think Onion was taking a stab at Ricky as a player with a fumbling problem and he's barking up the wrong tree - 7 per year is not a tremendous number of fumbles when he was carrying the ball a buttload of times.

BTW Otis is the Ronnie Brown bandwagon still full or did you lose a couple people this week?
:shrug: Weeks like this make for a nice weeding out of those who are not really dedicated to the cause.

Why would you lose any from the bandwagon - if they were on it, they already knew ricky was coming back this week.Personally, I don't care WHICH of the players gets the ball or the numbers - as long as they, together, become an unstoppable Dolphin rushing attack.

I never said he had a fumbling problem, I just asked the question how prevalent were the reports of Ricky Williams having small hands prior to his retirement. :shrug: Edited - As a huge fan of the Vikings and Culpepper, I am well aware of the importance of small hands. Culpepper (aka, 'nubbs') has very small hands and his fumbling is a known issue.
Yeah - I also remember hearing that Ricky had small hands, and was EXPECTED to have a fumbling problem, but he never actually had one.Here's my 2 cents on this, and it reflects a lot of what was said. (Disclaimer - I am a Brown owner, and a Williams hater for walking out on the team last year).

#1 - I expect BOTH backs to be used with Ricky in the traditional halfback role, and Brown to be used as a FB/H-back role. In that role, Miami could come out with Brown lined up as a TE and snap; line him up as a TE and shift him into a FB position playing play action or run; line him up as a FB and shift him out to a receiver position, short hand-off to the FB and so on. The presence of both Brown & Williams in the backfield AT THE SAME TIME would really create mis-matches on defense. Note that this would move Brown out of a traditoinal 20 carry game and put him more in line with 5-10 rushes but also 10 receiving targets. It would also mean Williams would be in the backfield more to block as opposed to running routs.

This makes sense to me especially because Brown is well known as a good blocker (best rookie blocker in this year's class iirr) and is reputed to have excellent hands.

#2 - Brown has been solid in his first 4 weeks. Not the first 2 really, but the last 2 he has been solid. Projecting his season out so far, he is on pace for about 300 carries for 1300 yards plus 44 receptions for 170 yards. Touchdowns will PROBABLY come. Compare that to Williams 2 years ago who got about 100 yards more on 25% more carries and had about the same number of receptions for about double the yards. I don't think the OL is that differnet this year from 2003.

Why is Brown not scoring TDs? Well, one thing is that Saban knows his team is weak, so is relying on "trickery" (like passing on 1st and goal from the 1) to win games. In Ricky's time with the Dolphins with Wandstat as coach, they would have run AT LEAST 3 times. I think Miami's been in a couple of those situations so far this year, so that's (potentially) a couple of TDs that Brown could have got. That would make the numbers for Brown and Williams very similar.

#3 - Williams may have been training, but he hasn't been in live NFL action for quite a while. I'd expect his role to start smaller (like maybe 5-10 carries vs. Tampa) and expanding by about 5 carries a week up to around 15-20 in 3 weeks. This is as he gets out of "in shape" and into "game shape", getting up to speed with the pro game again. Yes, players that get injured and take a year to come back often end up doing fine, but Williams has been out of football and NOT training or playing for a year... it will probably take him at least as long. I'd also go as far as to say that he's probably got a higher chance of becoming injured because of it.

But the bottom line for all of this - I do not think the return of williams will do anything but (a) lower Ronnie Brown's fantasy value and (b) increase Williams' fantasy value. My guess - Brown will average 60 yards and 0.3 TDs while Williams will average 70 yards and 0.4 TDs (yards & TDs are both rushing & receiving). Browns yards will come as much from the air as the ground while Williams' will be 80% ground.

One more thing (I forgot) - Fumbles will kill players value as long as the Dolphins are competitve (chasing the playoffs). IMO one fumble = 20% less carries the next game ;)
As Brown owner and a Phin homer, I have to agree. From a fantasy point of view, I hope that Ricky does not show any heart and gets benched, but from a homer point of view, the prospect of both of these backs on the field at the same time in the senarios that you point out gets me reved up. If both of these guys share the backfield and are both effective at the run and the pass, this will open things up for Chambers and McMike and Booker as well. Gus is showing to be a pretty good QB in this system as long as he does not have to reply on the big pass as he seems to under throw it a bit.My RB's are LT2, Caddy, J.Jones and Brown. With Caddy and JJ hobbled, Ricky is going to screw me. But as a Phin Fan, I am not surprised! LOL

I can't wait for the inevitable week where Ricky Williams has more fantasy points than Ronnie Brown and this board explodes with "RICKY WILLIAMS TO START???" "RBBC??!?!?" "RONNIE BROWN IS DONE!!!" and the like.

Someone mentioned this above but I cannot stress enough my belief that MISTAKES are going to be a HUGE determining factor regarding the split of carries. If one guy fumbles or misses blocking assignments, the other is likely to get more work the following week(s).

Mr.Expert, you're only counting lost fumbles. He fumbled 7 times both years. Over his career, Ricky has 34 fumbles in 70 games. Not the worst RB in the league..... well, actually that probably is the worst in the league.For comparison A.Green is known as a fumbler and has 33 fumbles in 111 career games.

Mr.Expert, you're only counting lost fumbles. He fumbled 7 times both years. Over his career, Ricky has 34 fumbles in 70 games. Not the worst RB in the league..... well, actually that probably is the worst in the league.For comparison A.Green is known as a fumbler and has 33 fumbles in 111 career games.
Instead of looking at the fumble:game ratio, try the fumble:carry ratio. It is much more meaningful in my opinion.Green: 1589 carries for 33 fumbles

Williams : 1589 carries for 34 fumbles

How freaky is that?

Instead of looking at the fumble:game ratio, try the fumble:carry ratio. It is much more meaningful in my opinion.
Alright Ricky has fumbled 34 times in 1820 career touches.Ahman has fumbled 33 times in 1956 career touches.

No matter what stat you use, you'll see that Ricky fumbles the ball more frequently than almost any other RB in the league.

Just for YOU Otis I have a new UPDATED Ricky & Ronnie video. Several Buffalo players were quoted last week that Ronnie was "a load" to bring down & tackle. This video shows some of Ronnie's runs this year. Check out how he abuses some defenders and then notice the speed of Ricky on some of his runs. Enjoy . . .http://media.putfile.com/RickyRonnieFinalCut2

Be sure to catch Ronnie absolutely destroying #23 (Clement) on the Bills.

I just traded Ricky for Hines Ward. I'm not sure if I fleeced the other owner or if I just got fleeced, but I am sure somebody got fleeced. Considering I drafted Ricky in the 10th round...Now that he is off my team, he is a lock for those 209 yards and 8 TDs. BTW:Dolphins | Brown/Williams Both Listed as StartersWed, 12 Oct 2005 15:39:38 -0700Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban said he is listing both RBs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams as starters heading into Week 6, but left open the possibility of changing his mind later this week.

DAVIE, Fla. - Nick Saban smiled Wednesday when he walked into an interview room and saw it filled with reporters and cameramen.“Wow,” the Miami Dolphins coach said. “What’s the occasion? Like I don’t know.”Ricky Williams’ first regular-season practice since 2003 drew a media horde. Coming back from a one-year retirement and four-game suspension at the start of this season for violating the NFL drug policy, Williams took some hits from the defense, and his conditioning seemed good, Saban said.Williams will play Sunday at Tampa Bay, sharing carries with rookie Ronnie Brown. They’ll line up together in the backfield at times.“It’s going to be great,” quarterback Gus Frerotte said. “We’re getting a fresh set of legs coming in. Ricky is ready to run, ready to play. He’s anxious and excited, although you couldn’t tell if you talked to him.”The notoriously shy Williams has declined interview requests until after he plays a game, but teammates said they’re glad to have him back.That includes Brown, the second overall pick in the April draft. He has rushed for 229 yards the past two games but said he’s happy to share playing time with the 2002 NFL rushing champion.“I’m excited,” Brown said. “It gives me an opportunity to be as fresh at the end of the game as I am when I start. I think that’s a pretty good thing.”With Brown and Williams, Saban said he considers running back a two-starter position for the Tampa Bay game.“We are going to start both guys, so you can’t ask me which one is starting,” Saban said with a smile. “I might change my mind between now and then, but I am just telling you that we are starting both. One might play center and one might play tight end or wideout, but we are starting them both.”

Week 7 vs KC and Week 8 vs NO is the big "fish or cut bait" test. 
:yes: This is exactly how I see it playing out - Ricky used very occasionally - but he will get his first carry EARLY so Saban can lay that issue to rest.

Gut call - I predict the Dolphins' first offensive series we'll see a shared backfield - essentially, both starting.
I am smart - s-m-r-t (where's that darned tooting your own horn smilie?)
Dolphins | Brown/Williams Both Listed as Starters

Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:39:38 -0700

Miami Dolphins head coach Nick Saban said he is listing both RBs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams as starters heading into Week 6, but left open the possibility of changing his mind later this week.

From CBS sportsline...The Sun-Sentinel reports Ricky Williams practiced with the team Wednesday for the first time this season. "He did a pretty good job," head coach Nick Saban said. "He didn't get tired and his conditioning seemed to be pretty good. The way that we'll use him in the game is relative to how [much] he can go and how he progresses during the course of the week." Analysis: Look for Williams to see around 10 carries against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He's not a recommended starter at this point, but that could change soon. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread