What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins Now Willing To Trade Ricky (1 Viewer)

I also feel Ricky will be back with the Dolphins due (in large part) to his team-friendly contract.

Doesn't that also work to his (and the Dolphins) benefit in possibly dealing him BECAUSE his contract is so minimal? (I'm asking this - not stating this.)
I have a feeling his agent will make a big push for that contract to be not so friendly. Ricky still is 1.1 million in debt.

most injured position in football = RB.

That statement means it is better to hold onto Ricky unless blown away by an offer and, conversely, that the need for RBs will still be there after teams "settle" their RB situations in the draft.
This is may be true, but it's also true that owners have a problem with their #1 pick splitting time or being a backup.

What do Williams' cap numbers look like for next year?Perhaps Miami would take considerably less than people expect based on the way the numbers work (freeing up salary, etc.).

The Vikings SEEM to be in a good position to go after RWilliams, but people seem to be forgetting the two reasons they won't:

1) They already have a guy that's been suspended for a year, and wouldn't want 2 on the roster that could be gone for a year each (not saying OSmith would necessarily come back, but even just that having happened to Minn recently makes this unlikely, IMO).

2) The team owner is very much about a new cleaned up code of conduct. Why would they bring in an admitted pot-smoker when they are trying to IMPROVE team image. People may point to KRob, but he was brought in on a zero-tolerance type 1 year deal, and they wouldn't be able to get Ricky on the same type of deal - you can't trade Cpep or high picks away for a guy that you are gonna put a zero-tolerance policy on.

Minn SEEMS like a good fit, but I doubt it. Now if Linehan somehows ends up back in Minn, maybe then he convinces the owner to take a chance on Ricky, but the trade would not involve Culpepper then either.
:goodposting:

That statement means it is better to hold onto Ricky unless blown away by an offer and, conversely, that the need for RBs will still be there after teams "settle" their RB situations in the draft.
This is may be true, but it's also true that owners have a problem with their #1 pick splitting time or being a backup.
The two are not incongruous - Saban could keep Ricky and still give Brown 18+ touches and the starting role. Brown may not be a workhorse back like Edge or LJ next year, yet he could still be the main running back weapon.

What do Williams' cap numbers look like for next year?

Perhaps Miami would take considerably less than people expect based on the way the numbers work (freeing up salary, etc.).
Ricky gets peanuts.That's why I think he' so valuable to other teams.

They can get an elite level RB (albeit with some issues) for a VERY low salary cap hit.

That is of course if Ricky doesn't demand a renegotiated contract. If that happens, all bets are off.

dolphins will be lucky to get a 3rd round draft choice.most likely a 4th and then maybe a 3rd depending on ricky's numbers in 2006.

What do Williams' cap numbers look like for next year?

Perhaps Miami would take considerably less than people expect based on the way the numbers work (freeing up salary, etc.).
Ricky gets peanuts.That's why I think he' so valuable to other teams.

They can get an elite level RB (albeit with some issues) for a VERY low salary cap hit.

That is of course if Ricky doesn't demand a renegotiated contract. If that happens, all bets are off.
Ricky's agent is Leigh Steinberg. Good luck with him not trying to renegotiate for Ricky.

Looks like the team has had a change of heart regarding moving Ricky. As a Williams owner in a keeper league I'd love to see him get traded. He showed this season he's still a very good RB and could be no worse than a Top 15 RB next season.

Link
can you imagine Ricky in Pittsburgh?!?! wow..how about Carolina next year!!or GB..or Jax, perhaps Denver ( mike anderson is long in the tooth), how about Cleveland, or NE, or NYJ...Ricky could make a big splash elsewhere..He'd be a top 10 pick overall, if he goes to Pittsburgh or NE, with the way they both love to run the ball..

I'm a ronnie brown owner in a keeper league, so this is great news that they want to trade him!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

The two are not incongruous - Saban could keep Ricky and still give Brown 18+ touches and the starting role. Brown may not be a workhorse back like Edge or LJ next year, yet he could still be the main running back weapon.
If he proved to be the superior RB. I don't believe he proved that this season. I think as the season went on it became more and more clear Williams was the team's best RB and was deserving of getting more carries. Now don't get me wrong, I like Ronnie Brown a lot but as long as Williams is there and productive it's going to be VERY difficult for Saban to keep him off the field. The RBBC situation definitely worked and there's no question you want to have depth at RB if you can have it. But the Dolphins have a lot invested in Brown and they may believe it's in their best interest to give him the best chance possible to succeed -- and the only way that will happen is if Williams is moved. So Miami could end up taking less than market value just to get something of value for Williams and, more importantly, open up the RB situation so Brown can clearly be the main guy in the backfield next season.

I'd be surprised if Ricky Williams weren't a Dolphin next year, if not the next two seasons. He's making minimum money and last week we said he's fine with that. Running back in the NFL is, in most cases, a two-man job, and Ricky Williams is a heck of a sidekick/insurance policy for Ronnie Brown. It's doubtful, considering Williams' age, standing with the drug program, and personality that a team is going to offer Miami a trade package that justifies sacrificing quality depth at such an important position. It makes too much sense to hold on to him.

Why not trade ronnie? Would it mess up the cap real bad?
I just can't see how they would say they're given up on their 1st round pick, which was a top 5. Too much is invested in him to just walk away. OTH-Ricky is easy to walk away from. It's easy for all parties involved. Doesn't mean they will do it but it's the easiest way to make it happen.

Why not trade ronnie? Would it mess up the cap real bad?
I can't believe it's only been like 18 months and people are already forgetting that Ricky walked out on the team like a week before training campe to go smoke weed.

Why not trade ronnie?  Would it mess up the cap real bad?
I can't believe it's only been like 18 months and people are already forgetting that Ricky walked out on the team like a week before training campe to go smoke weed.
It's sports. As long as you produce people have short memories. It's when you don't produce people act like you're the scum of the Earth.Reference the sex boat. That wouldn't have been a big deal if the Vikings were winning.

Users who are viewing this thread