What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dolphins Now Willing To Trade Ricky (1 Viewer)

packersfan

Footballguy
Looks like the team has had a change of heart regarding moving Ricky. As a Williams owner in a keeper league I'd love to see him get traded. He showed this season he's still a very good RB and could be no worse than a Top 15 RB next season.

Link

How high in the draft would Ricky and their #1 (16th overall) get them?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also own him in a dynasty league. Wouldn't it be great if he was traded to Pittsburgh. :thumbup: Move over LJ

Now Ricky has value. It will still take a huge amount of chutzpah for a NFL GM to take a chance only 1 year removed from his search for inner peace, or the center of the universe, or the business end of a hooka, or whatever it was he was searching for when he dumped all over MIA - but MIA did allow Williams to show he can still be a solid force in the league when he's serious.

Over half the league could be in the running for a top running back:New EnglandArizonaSan FranciscoGreen BayCarolinaTennesseeMinnesotaDenverJacksonvilleNew York JetsHoustonDallas PittsburghClevelandIndySeattlePhiladelphia

I can't see any team giving up a 1st, 2nd or 3rd rd pick for Ricky for the following reasons . . .1. He's one positive drug test away from a year long suspension2. Every knows he just quit on his team last year. What will stop him from doing it again?3. He seems happy "sharing" the spot light with Ronnie right now. I don't think he wants to be "the" guy.I also think he's worth more to the Dolphins than a 4th rd pick. He's one of the weirdest dudes on the planet but that doesn't take away from the fact that he's a very good RB.Some team will have to make Saban a very good offer for him to consider it.

Unfortunately, my Phins will be stuck w/him. No one is going to give up anything that would make a trade worth doing.

I know that Miami would probably not trade within the division but as a Jet fan I would love Ricky, especially at that price tag! How about Jets deal the #4 pick for Miami's #16, Ricky and a 2nd rd pick. As for FF - Ricky in a feature role is instantly a decent #1 very solid #2 RB. Right now I have him as my #3 for cheap!!!

Is there any chance of a deal that would send Rick to MIN and Culpepper to MIA? I have no idea what cap hits would be involved.

Unfortunately, my Phins will be stuck w/him.
Fellow fin fan:There is NOTHING unfortunate at all about Ricky being a Doplhin next year. He makes peanuts and provides a very valuable insurance policy.

I hope he retires a Dolphin.

I also own him in a dynasty league. Wouldn't it be great if he was traded to Pittsburgh. :thumbup: Move over LJ
There is no way he'll end up with Pittsburgh for three reasons:1) The Steelers will not bring in a guy with William's history.

2) The Steelers would not offer anywhere near what others would likely offer

3) The Steelers are happy with Parker. They may be in the market for a brusier type back, but Parker will be the starter.

Fellow fin fan:There is NOTHING unfortunate at all about Ricky being a Doplhin next year. He makes peanuts and provides a very valuable insurance policy.

Given how he proved, in my opinion, to be the team's best RB this season I'd think Dolphin fans would be quite thrilled if he ended up staying put.

Miami is in an excellent position with Ricky. But I'm afraid the only thing they can do is trade him. Get what they can for him. It will not work to keep him. With Brown the guy of the future, with Ricky's value higher than ever, why not trade him for something? They will not get a 1st but they might get a 2nd or 3rd. The reason isn't because of Ricky's past, it's because RB's are a dime a dozen right now. There are more RB's then there are teams that "think" or "want" to pay for a RB. We saw it last year and it hasn't changed much since.So if Miami wants to create the best case scenario, trade him now and get something of value. They will look like geniuses for bringing him back and getting a good year and a good pick while saving a ton of money in the process. Meanwhile their top pick is happy and the fans feel good about recovering from a bad situation.

Saban also deserves a world of credit here too.And not just for taking a 4-12 team to a 9-7 record this year but also for bringing Ricky's value back from the dead. He was worth nothing a few short months ago.

The only team I see that would take a renagade like Ricky would be the RAIDERS and they already have Jordon so that is not going to happen. Moreover the FA market again will have plenty of RB talent whom have less baggage than Ricky which hurts his value.The Dolphins want at least a third rounder for him and few teams if any will be willing to lose out on that high of a draft choice for him.Ricky will be a Fin next year.

The Dolphins want at least a third rounder for him and few teams if any will be willing to lose out on that high of a draft choice for him.
So why not a conditional pick, like the one that the Dolphins gave up to get Ricky in the first place?Something like a 4th that could turn into as high as a 2nd depending on how Ricky performs and/or if he plays more than 1 season or something.

How about a trade involving Ricky and Farve. Throw in some picks either way and it fits.
I'm hoping that's sarcasm there. No way does Favre get traded. GB fans love the guy to much and the backlash would be huge if they did that. and Favre has been on the edge of retirement for years. Why trade for a guy who may only play one more season?

I also feel Ricky will be back with the Dolphins due (in large part) to his team-friendly contract.Doesn't that also work to his (and the Dolphins) benefit in possibly dealing him BECAUSE his contract is so minimal? (I'm asking this - not stating this.)

How about a trade involving Ricky and Farve. Throw in some picks either way and it fits.
:lmao: Yeah, I'm sure he'd be a huge hit in GB, and would love playing there in December.

The only team I see that would take a renagade like Ricky would be the RAIDERS
Actually, I seem to remember the Patriots taking a chance on an old, rebellious RB a few years ago. Eerily similar situations, though Miami has to be smart enough not to trade in the division.I would think they'd like to get a quarterback if possible, so who's available?

Jax - Garrard? Maybe, but Leftwich's injury history is troublesome

Jets - Pennington? Not likely, plus it's in the division

Oak - Collins? They don't need a RB

SD - Rivers/Brees? See Oak

Ten - Volek? Smells of AJ Feeley

Arz - Warner? Could work, they definitely need a RB

Atl - Schaub? See Jax

Det - Harrington? Maybe but they're probably not done with KJ so soon

GB - Favre? Looks ideal but most think Favre won't go anywhere else

Min - Culpepper? I could see this happening, especially with the new owner trying to make changes

NO - Brooks? Good for Miami, bad for NO

TB - Griese? Been done before

So my short list in order of likelihood would be:

Minnesota

Arizona

Jacksonville

Green Bay

The Dolphins want at least a third rounder for him and few teams if any will be willing to lose out on that high of a draft choice for him.
So why not a conditional pick, like the one that the Dolphins gave up to get Ricky in the first place?Something like a 4th that could turn into as high as a 2nd depending on how Ricky performs and/or if he plays more than 1 season or something.
:goodposting: I was about to give up and say quite simply that none of these things were going to happen. You've had the best idea yet.

I'm hoping that's sarcasm there. No way does Favre get traded. GB fans love the guy to much and the backlash would be huge if they did that. and Favre has been on the edge of retirement for years. Why trade for a guy who may only play one more season?
You mean like Ricky? ------- I agee with you though, no way they trade Favre for Ricky. That'd be the biggest gaffe in league history, the best character player of my generation for the worst (OK, maybe not the worst, but if the packers go for Ricky, they have to sign T.O. too.)

As a Green Bay fan, I would like to see the Packers get him. No way they would trade Favre to do it, but maybe a 3rd or 4th round pick.I wouldn't be suprised if the Vikings made a move to get him either.

The gist of it is that Saban said that anyone on the team can be had if the price is right. He also intimated that Ronnie's Growth as a RB could be hindered if Ricky was still around. Miami is sitting pretty here. If someone gives Miami a good pick for RW, then it is a win win as long as ricky doesn't go off again. If no one steps up, then Miami gets to keep a strong quick RB as a backup to Ronnie brown without it costing a lot.Miami's Offensive needs are on the line and at QB. If trading RW can solve either of those problems (GARRARD!) (or with a Draft pick that allows us to draft an OT), then he has helped us either way.Fact is that the only player Miami won't trade is Zach Thomas. Even JT can be had for a price.

The gist of it is that Saban said that anyone on the team can be had if the price is right. He also intimated that Ronnie's Growth as a RB could be hindered if Ricky was still around.
I'd agree with that. You've got to feed the big dog, and having 2 big dogs on the team means that nobody's happy. Brown & Williams both need 20+ touches a game.

Given how he proved, in my opinion, to be the team's best RB this season I'd think Dolphin fans would be quite thrilled if he ended up staying put.
This Fin Fan hopes we get any kind of decent trade offer :bye:

The Vikings SEEM to be in a good position to go after RWilliams, but people seem to be forgetting the two reasons they won't:1) They already have a guy that's been suspended for a year, and wouldn't want 2 on the roster that could be gone for a year each (not saying OSmith would necessarily come back, but even just that having happened to Minn recently makes this unlikely, IMO).2) The team owner is very much about a new cleaned up code of conduct. Why would they bring in an admitted pot-smoker when they are trying to IMPROVE team image. People may point to KRob, but he was brought in on a zero-tolerance type 1 year deal, and they wouldn't be able to get Ricky on the same type of deal - you can't trade Cpep or high picks away for a guy that you are gonna put a zero-tolerance policy on.Minn SEEMS like a good fit, but I doubt it. Now if Linehan somehows ends up back in Minn, maybe then he convinces the owner to take a chance on Ricky, but the trade would not involve Culpepper then either.

There is no way he'll end up with Pittsburgh for three reasons:1) The Steelers will not bring in a guy with William's history.

2) The Steelers would not offer anywhere near what others would likely offer

3) The Steelers are happy with Parker. They may be in the market for a brusier type back, but Parker will be the starter.
Agreed.

Miami is in an excellent position with Ricky. But I'm afraid the only thing they can do is trade him. Get what they can for him. It will not work to keep him. With Brown the guy of the future, with Ricky's value higher than ever, why not trade him for something?
I agree this is true, but not necessarily before the 2006 season.He will have the same amount of value, IMO, and remain a nice piece of insurance for 2006, if they look to move him during the 2006 season or after.

The Vikings SEEM to be in a good position to go after RWilliams, but people seem to be forgetting the two reasons they won't:

1) They already have a guy that's been suspended for a year, and wouldn't want 2 on the roster that could be gone for a year each (not saying OSmith would necessarily come back, but even just that having happened to Minn recently makes this unlikely, IMO).

2) The team owner is very much about a new cleaned up code of conduct. Why would they bring in an admitted pot-smoker when they are trying to IMPROVE team image. People may point to KRob, but he was brought in on a zero-tolerance type 1 year deal, and they wouldn't be able to get Ricky on the same type of deal - you can't trade Cpep or high picks away for a guy that you are gonna put a zero-tolerance policy on.

Minn SEEMS like a good fit, but I doubt it. Now if Linehan somehows ends up back in Minn, maybe then he convinces the owner to take a chance on Ricky, but the trade would not involve Culpepper then either.
:goodposting:

Miami is in an excellent position with Ricky. But I'm afraid the only thing they can do is trade him. Get what they can for him. It will not work to keep him. With Brown the guy of the future, with Ricky's value higher than ever, why not trade him for something?
I agree this is true, but not necessarily before the 2006 season.He will have the same amount of value, IMO, and remain a nice piece of insurance for 2006, if they look to move him during the 2006 season or after.
You make a good point Bu I was thinking he would be easier to trade before teams are settled on their RB's. Before the draft affords them the better options for a win-win trade with another team. Another scenario is making a head up player for player trade. Not sure who but it's another possibility. One possibility would be Cpep for Williams. If Minn wants to get rid of Cpep bad enough they might consider this. After all Saban said he wants to upgrade the QB position and Linehan and Cpep have worked together before.

I also own him in a dynasty league.  Wouldn't it be great if he was traded to Pittsburgh. :thumbup:    Move over LJ
Pittsburgh's next star RB will be LenDale White.
I doubt LenDale drops to the 3rd round.
Most think he won't declare for the draft to begin with, and instead will remain at 'SC with its still-potent offense as their feature back for his senior year. Smart move if he does it IMHO.

most injured position in football = RB.That statement means it is better to hold onto Ricky unless blown away by an offer and, conversely, that the need for RBs will still be there after teams "settle" their RB situations in the draft.I do agree that trading UP in this draft by packaging Ricky with the first to try to get into the top-12 is something the team should strongly consider - the phins need offensive tackles badly, and trading into the top-12 should garner a franchise LT - also a very fine QB should be available anywhere in the top-12. Finally, the phins need a young LB of the future- a DJ Williams type - and they need him now.Sitting pat at #16 might see the team lose their chance at all the elite players at all three positions.

As a Ricky/Chambers owner, I'd love to see Ricky for Culpepper. It won't happen, but it would be great for my fantasy team.

I also own him in a dynasty league.  Wouldn't it be great if he was traded to Pittsburgh. :thumbup:    Move over LJ
Pittsburgh's next star RB will be LenDale White.
I doubt LenDale drops to the 3rd round.
Most think he won't declare for the draft to begin with, and instead will remain at 'SC with its still-potent offense as their feature back for his senior year. Smart move if he does it IMHO.
I think he stays at SC - a year as "the man" at SC = top12 spot in 2007 draft. Coming out now, he might not even get drafted in the 1st two rounds

You make a good point Bu I was thinking he would be easier to trade before teams are settled on their RB's. Before the draft affords them the better options for a win-win trade with another team. Another scenario is making a head up player for player trade. Not sure who but it's another possibility. One possibility would be Cpep for Williams. If Minn wants to get rid of Cpep bad enough they might consider this. After all Saban said he wants to upgrade the QB position and Linehan and Cpep have worked together before.
There is absolutely no chance of this happening for several reasons, most of which Maelstrom has already pointed out. The main reason is that the Vikings are committed to C-Pep, now and in the future. He is the QB, end of story. Brad Johnson is 37 years old and a step above mediocre...behind him there is nothing. So the need for a QB far outweighs the need for a RB.The Vikes are far more likely to spend some of the 20 million or so that they'll have under the cap for a free agent RB, or an injury rehab project.

Users who are viewing this thread