What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dominican Republic? (2 Viewers)

True.
I like to snorkel so if "beach" includes reefs and such, then only Hawaii compares to the Caribbean.
Agreed. The water in California and Florida don't compare to Hawaii and most of the Caribbean. Although I generally agree that the DR is not fantastic. Especially when you factor in that most of the Punta Cana area doesn't have the crystal clear water like most of the Caribbean.

Agreed. The water in California and Florida don't compare to Hawaii and most of the Caribbean. Although I generally agree that the DR is not fantastic. Especially when you factor in that most of the Punta Cana area doesn't have the crystal clear water like most of the Caribbean.
Can’t argue anything about typical Punta Cana area water but FWIW when wife and I went it was stunning, postcard quality clear blue water. As I said earlier, I love the sun and beach. Haven’t been to a lot at all, did spend a day at Venice Beach in CA and a few FLA beaches and they were not comparable to our week at a DR beach in Punta Cana. But, maybe the atmosphere biases my comparison.

Having said all that, it’s highly unlikely we will go back there.

True.
I like to snorkel so if "beach" includes reefs and such, then only Hawaii compares to the Caribbean.
there's a big world out there with reefs and oceans and whatnot. 

Can’t argue anything about typical Punta Cana area water but FWIW when wife and I went it was stunning, postcard quality clear blue water. As I said earlier, I love the sun and beach. Haven’t been to a lot at all, did spend a day at Venice Beach in CA and a few FLA beaches and they were not comparable to our week at a DR beach in Punta Cana. But, maybe the atmosphere biases my comparison.

Having said all that, it’s highly unlikely we will go back there.
Same for me, DR water was as nice as I've seen elsewhere in Caribbean or Mexico. I have no vested interest in someone booking DR tomorrow or crossing it off their list for life, but our family enjoyed it and we would go back once this illness thing is sorted out. 

We loved Punta Cana.  Beach was amazing and the food and drinks were good.  We like Negril, Jamaica better.  Beach, food and drink are better, but the price was 40% more.

So, super fun development... American was late arriving, and therefore leaving Atlanta, which means we’ve missed the last flight from Miami to DR tonight (on any airline). I understand they’ll likely offer meal/hotel vouchers here in MIA, but what other compensation should I be asking for? We’re losing a night, and likely half a day tomorrow in DR. Any chance we get some credit for the time and room night that we’ll be losing in DR?

PS- we’re sitting on the runway because either AA or MIA apparently can’t get their #### together.

The plot thickens... our original flight from MIA to DR pulled away from the gate and got on the runway when it too experienced a mechanical issue. We’re we in line for rebooking when we were told to run to the gate. So we made it on the plane but are now stuck at the gate due to an absent push crew.

The poor people who actually made the flight in time have now been on the plane for about 2 hours.

Went to Punta Cana about 6-7 weeks ago. Stayed at an all-inclusive for 4 nights. Other than masks at the airport and staff wearing masks it was business as usual. Had a great time. :shrug:  

Same!

Headed down Wednesday for 2 weeks. My wife is Dominican & has family all over the island. We'll be traveling everywhere except Santo Domingo where the Covid rates are high and curfew is early. Golf at Corales & Punta Espada Friday & Saturday. Been brushing up on my domino's....it's serious business in DR. Ya tu sabes!!

Same!

Headed down Wednesday for 2 weeks. My wife is Dominican & has family all over the island. We'll be traveling everywhere except Santo Domingo where the Covid rates are high and curfew is early. Golf at Corales & Punta Espada Friday & Saturday. Been brushing up on my domino's....it's serious business in DR. Ya tu sabes!!
how early is curfew?

Sitting at PUJ for the trip home now. Overall, we had a pretty nice trip. The best thing we did was take an excursion to Saona Island. Easily the prettiest beach I’ve ever seen. Portions of Pirates of the Caribbean and Survivor were apparently filmed there.

Worst thing we did was a deep sea fishing charter. The boat was terrible, and the seas were extremely choppy. A lot of the rails were loose, and the ladder was only secure on one side, so when the boat was moving violently, you’d go to grab a rail and it would just come with you. Incredibly dangerous. When we got back, I talked to the guy that booked it for us. He said that all the good boats were refusing to go out because it was too rough, so he booked us on what he could get. Thanks a pant load....

As far as covid, it was no big deal. We wore masks when we went shopping and in the airport. Other than that, no real impact. Things did shut down around 10pm or so, but we weren’t impacted.

For those coming to Punta Cana soon, the beaches and water are loaded with seaweed. Some of the hotels clear their beaches, but it comes right back, but there’s not much they can do to clean the water. The beaches in Bayahibe and Saona were clear though, since that’s the Caribbean side.

Last thing- as we were starting to pack up yesterday, my wife realized her passport was gone. We searched everywhere, called around, checked the beach, etc. we were resigned to putting out daughter in the flight home alone, and then taking the 3 hour trip to the Capital to handle things at the US Embassy. We decided to search one more time before reporting it stolen. While we were searching, I came across the card of one of the taxi drivers we used. I hit him up on What’s App, and sure enough, it had fallen between the seats in his cab. We had him pick us up and take us to the airport today, and I gave him about $100 extra as a thank you. He saved our asses.

10p-5a Monday-Friday, 9p-5a Sat & Sun. A GB I spoke to said the curfew in Santo Domingo starts at 6p in some areas. Looking forward to @Tecumseh  checking in.
As far as the curfew goes, it seems that the touristy provinces have the later curfew. Makes sense from an economic perspective, plus I would imagine a higher likelihood of tourists being vaccinated. That said, the vaccination rate for DR is roughly 50%, and they are launching another push this week.

Users who are viewing this thread