What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DONE DEAL: Randy Moss to Vikings trade (1 Viewer)

Wow.. only 36% of their offensive sets have been 3-wr wide this year, didn't realize it was that low. If Moss goes I think wes welker becomes a legit WR1 in PPR leagues and aaron hernandez becomes a top 5 TE. Edelman and Woodhead actually become playable in bigger PPR leagues..
Welker has never played on the Pats without Moss opposite him. I wouldn't say it's a given that his numbers improve since he'll have the opposing team's top corner on him now.
Yes, it will be interesting to see how this effects Welker...could be tough on him.
Agreed, logic would think so ... being a Moss owner I am abit giddy right now ...

Adam_Schefter Filed to ESPN: When the Randy Moss-to-Minnesota trade is completed later, Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return from Vikings. 4 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter
Holy crap. So this is real then.

So the Vikings get a 5th rounder and a conditional pick for Reynaud and Rosenfels...and then get Moss for a third...I'll take it.

MN is ruining their franchise with this.

First they bring back Favre. The guy is banged up. Old. He had his chance last year. It's pretty clear the magic is gone.

Now Moss? An aging malcontent superstar. Signing him to a contract extension sure makes sense.

From a fantasy standpoint...all good. From an actual NFL "build your team" standpoint...Idiotic. Childress wont last too much longer.

And meanwhile, NE does what it does best...buy low and sell high. In 2020, we'll look back at moves like this, Seymour, etc. and say, "So that's how they remained in the hunt for two decades despite the salary cap era."

KY

So Belichick gets Moss for a 4th, takes 3 years of stud production, and then ships him out for a 3rd once he starts #####ing about his contract. :moneybag:
:no:
:moneybag:
Drink it up. Just like Seymour, you are going to think dealing away an important part of the team will be genius when all it does it delay Super Bowl contention, yet another year. Dumb move.
Hmmm. Last year, the Pats brass and BB saw what they had and calculated where they were and how likely they would be true SB contenders. They determined that they weren't and shipped off Seymour (which as time goes by will start to look a lot better than it did at the time). I tend to think the Seymour trade made sense as he wasn't coming back and they got a decent pick in return.In doing the same analysis this year, I don't think the Pats are an elite team and while they probably will make the playoffs they wouldn't get all that far from there. With Moss, the difference is he was going to be a major problem going forward and it sounds like jettisoning him will be addition by subtraction. I don't really think getting a third rounder for him should be much of a coup. NE might as well hire Theo Epstein as a consultant and have him host a bridge year press conference.This move is curious in that the Pats may be stockpiling picks and a good team down the road, but Brady may be at the end of the line by the time they are back to being a force (if they get to that point).

It's still Randy Moss, guys. It's Tom Brady who's over. His wife is out there tagging eurotrash in front of TMZ paps.

So Belichick gets Moss for a 4th, takes 3 years of stud production, and then ships him out for a 3rd once he starts #####ing about his contract. :moneybag:
:(
Drink it up. Just like Seymour, you are going to think dealing away an important part of the team will be genius when all it does it delay Super Bowl contention, yet another year. Dumb move.
:no:The Seymour deal was an absolute steal for NE.

MN is ruining their franchise with this.

First they bring back Favre. The guy is banged up. Old. He had his chance last year. It's pretty clear the magic is gone.

Now Moss? An aging malcontent superstar. Signing him to a contract extension sure makes sense.

From a fantasy standpoint...all good. From an actual NFL "build your team" standpoint...Idiotic. Childress wont last too much longer.

And meanwhile, NE does what it does best...buy low and sell high. In 2020, we'll look back at moves like this, Seymour, etc. and say, "So that's how they remained in the hunt for two decades despite the salary cap era."

KY
We all know that it's the "Not For Long" league and the window to win titles is very slim. Giving up a 2nd, who will most likely bust, for an elite player like Moss is a no-brainer for the Vikes at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I pick up Edelman or Tate? I want to beat our league on this.
If the Pats go back to a spread the ball around approach like they did pre-Moss, there won't be anyone putting up huge numbers. Tate will probably get a lot more playing time, but I don't think he comes close to putting up Moss-like numbers.I suspect NE will play Hernandez a ton and get Gronkowski on the game more as well. So more two TE sets and fewer 3 and 4 WR formations.

Maybe its already been speculated in this thread, but any way the Pats now flip a pick or two to SD for Jackson? Maybe this was their plan for the offseason, let Moss walk and sign the younger guy. Why not do it now if you think Moss will be a malcontent?

Maybe its already been speculated in this thread, but any way the Pats now flip a pick or two to SD for Jackson? Maybe this was their plan for the offseason, let Moss walk and sign the younger guy. Why not do it now if you think Moss will be a malcontent?
No.

My understanding is that Moss won't have a bye week this year, though it could be argued that he had one last week.

Sorry . . . didn't want to be left out . . .

What about Sidney Rice? Does his presence hurt Moss' value? Do you think Rice could be part of this deal and him going to NE?

So Belichick gets Moss for a 4th, takes 3 years of stud production, and then ships him out for a 3rd once he starts #####ing about his contract. :shrug:
:no:
:lmao:
:lmao:The Seymour deal was an absolute steal for NE.
Yep. New England Patriots are the NFL draft pick world champions.

What about Sidney Rice? Does his presence hurt Moss' value? Do you think Rice could be part of this deal and him going to NE?
Rice isn't going to be on the fieldfor at least another 4 weeks if that. Reports are he is still on crutches and he should've been off them a couple weeks ago (there is another thread detailing this in the Pool). If anything it might just make Rice's value worse.

Rice isn't going to be on the fieldfor at least another 4 weeks if that. Reports are he is still on crutches and he should've been off them a couple weeks ago (there is another thread detailing this in the Pool). If anything it might just make Rice's value worse.
This might be an awful sign of where Rice's rehab is. Already behind where they'd hoped he'd be.

This move is curious in that the Pats may be stockpiling picks and a good team down the road, but Brady may be at the end of the line by the time they are back to being a force (if they get to that point).
Right. This is the problem. BB struck gold with Brady and unless he's mainlining HGH every night (well, we just don't know whether he is or not) then he will begin his senescence sooner than later. The guy is 33 right now, for christsakes. So BB would rather spend that time getting more draft picks? Or using Brady to his fullest? What would you do?

Excellent next 4 week schedule for entertainment.

Favre-Moss vs Jets

Favre-Moss vs Cowboys

Favre-Moss vs Packers

Favre-Moss vs Patriots.

there is history in every one of those.

They couldn't have scripted it any better.

Interesting thread. Mixed feelings... It's wrong to just think we wouldn't go far in the playoffs, move him now etc.. It's not the Bills we're talking about here. Teams gel and get on a roll, wild card teams win SB's. I agree that the "Brady Window" does have a limit. Patriots are worse with this trade- on Sunday. I still think they must really like Tate and probably Price too. Maybe one or 2 big plays to one of those guys is all they need. I don't believe it's all about getting the complainer out of town.

Interesting interview with Jonathan Kraft before the Monday night game on local radio. He was prepared to talk about the defense and the moves they'd made recently, which, before the huge defense and special teams plays Monday, were getting panned badly around here. His point was that, after 2007, it was clear to everyone in the organization (and outside) that they needed to get younger on defense, so they committed to getting quality players and potential starters in the last two drafts. Yes, they picked up guys like Gronkowski and Hernandez, but picks like Mayo, McCourty, Chung and Meriweather have been emerging.

Apparently 50% of the Patriots' defensive snaps have been played by players under the age of 25. The league average is about 23%. And we saw huge plays from Chung and Ninkovic this week, which could be a sign that they're making progress.

Another interesting stat is that the Patriots have more coaches this year than they did in previous years, like 2007. So while there has been a lot of criticism that they don't have a proper offensive and defensive coordinator, the players are still get coached, and Belichick is spending time teaching the younger guys as appropriate. The rare show of emotion on Monday night suggests that maybe he's getting along with the younger guys a little better, too.

A trade like this - if it nets a potential starting player in next year's draft - plus Oakland's first, and the other picks they've accumulated - could really set them up for the talent infusion they need on defense, especially at corner and pass rush, and running back or the offensive line. The 2010 Pats are built around Welker, Hernandez, Gronk, Tate, Crumpler, and Green-Ellis. That's not quite a murderer's row, but it's a quality bunch and capable of moving the ball well each week. The 2011 Pats will spend their draft picks opportunistically to fill gaps, and be able to move up and down to get the talent they want.

Not a huge fan of getting rid of Moss, but I do agree with the plan. This team is getting younger and is positioning themselves to make one more serious run towards the end of Brady's window. They want cheap young players, surround them with the best veterans available, and follow the 2001-2004 model for filling in the gaps in free agency because they won't be buried under big contracts to Seymour, Asante, Moss and others. It's sad to see them go, but I get it.

NE might as well hire Theo Epstein as a consultant and have him host a bridge year press conference.This move is curious in that the Pats may be stockpiling picks and a good team down the road, but Brady may be at the end of the line by the time they are back to being a force (if they get to that point).
This may indeed be a bridge year. I doubt very much they'll compete for a championship, but they're in good position to get to the playoffs and see what happens.I believe they have the most 1st and 2nd year players in the NFL right now. They have a ton of picks stockpiled. Brady can play for MANY more years...just look at Favre for crying out loud.This is how you ensure a team is competitive for many, many years.MN moves? Not so much.KY

Moss has 9 catches for 139 yards and 3 TDs through 4 games. That's lime 1 game of production from vintage Moss. There's one of two possibilities here:

1) His chirping about being in his last year of his contract is an indication that he's been dogging it in NE like he did to the Vikings and Raiders when he was unhappy or

2). Age has caught up to him and he's just done as an elite receiver

IMO, I think #2 is more likely the culprit and may be why Moss was so concerned about getting one more contract right now. He knows his career is essentially over and that after teams see his performance this year, he'll have no shot at one more decent contract.

Great move by the Patriots if so. This isn't 2002 Randy Moss they're trading away. It's more like Denver or Seattle Jerry Rice.

Apparently 50% of the Patriots' defensive snaps have been played by players under the age of 25. The league average is about 23%. And we saw huge plays from Chung and Ninkovic this week, which could be a sign that they're making progress.
Its been 5 years on Ninko. Turns 27 in 3+ months. This is his fourth stop.

:shrug:The Seymour deal was an absolute steal for NE.
Yep. New England Patriots are the NFL draft pick world champions.
Right, because the Patriots would've gone from one and done to SB champions last year if only they had Seymour.

This move is curious in that the Pats may be stockpiling picks and a good team down the road, but Brady may be at the end of the line by the time they are back to being a force (if they get to that point).
Right. This is the problem. BB struck gold with Brady and unless he's mainlining HGH every night (well, we just don't know whether he is or not) then he will begin his senescence sooner than later. The guy is 33 right now, for christsakes. So BB would rather spend that time getting more draft picks? Or using Brady to his fullest? What would you do?
Listen to what you're saying...Brady is 33.How old is Favre?QBs are playing until they're 40...and they are performing at a high level. The Pats "window" with Brady is a lot larger than people think.This year is the transition year for the NE D. Tons of young talent trying to learn the system. It will happen. Maybe we don't see this gel until the end of the year, but this D will continue to improve. Now add all the picks coming.And watch for the next NE "buy low" opportunity. It's rinse and repeat with these guys.THe present and future look pretty damn good to me.KYP.S. And oh how the loss of L. Mankins hurts sooooo much. NE has done this to numerous players at this point...and I dare anyone to come up with two names that show that it's bitten them in the butt.

Moss has 9 catches for 139 yards and 3 TDs through 4 games. That's lime 1 game of production from vintage Moss. There's one of two possibilities here:1) His chirping about being in his last year of his contract is an indication that he's been dogging it in NE like he did to the Vikings and Raiders when he was unhappy or2). Age has caught up to him and he's just done as an elite receiverIMO, I think #2 is more likely the culprit and may be why Moss was so concerned about getting one more contract right now. He knows his career is essentially over and that after teams see his performance this year, he'll have no shot at one more decent contract.Great move by the Patriots if so. This isn't 2002 Randy Moss they're trading away. It's more like Denver or Seattle Jerry Rice.
As a Packer fan I hope its #2.As a Packer fan and knowing how Randy has killed us...I doubt it is.From the FF standpoint...well, I have Brady on a bye this week and Favre is my backup...so this should help.Other league, I was scrounging to fill in a spot for Randy this week as I am thin at WR behind he and Boldin...so this should help.This definitely makes them stronger...if Rice comes back at all and that offensive line holds up...they should be strong contenders.

Listen to what you're saying...Brady is 33.How old is Favre?QBs are playing until they're 40...and they are performing at a high level. The Pats "window" with Brady is a lot larger than people think.This year is the transition year for the NE D. Tons of young talent trying to learn the system. It will happen. Maybe we don't see this gel until the end of the year, but this D will continue to improve. Now add all the picks coming.And watch for the next NE "buy low" opportunity. It's rinse and repeat with these guys.THe present and future look pretty damn good to me.KYP.S. And oh how the loss of L. Mankins hurts sooooo much. NE has done this to numerous players at this point...and I dare anyone to come up with two names that show that it's bitten them in the butt.
EXACTLY. And Brady has said recently (read: while married to Gizelle) that he intends to play until he's 40.

MN is ruining their franchise with this.First they bring back Favre. The guy is banged up. Old. He had his chance last year. It's pretty clear the magic is gone.Now Moss? An aging malcontent superstar. Signing him to a contract extension sure makes sense. From a fantasy standpoint...all good. From an actual NFL "build your team" standpoint...Idiotic. Childress wont last too much longer.And meanwhile, NE does what it does best...buy low and sell high. In 2020, we'll look back at moves like this, Seymour, etc. and say, "So that's how they remained in the hunt for two decades despite the salary cap era."KY
This team was in the NFC title game. They need an elite WR since Rice is out till who knows when.Your post is way off base. They are trying to win it right now. I would thrilled if I were a Viking fan.They are now a contender again.

Brady is NOT Favre. Brady had 1 great season and that was WITH Moss.

Brady is a very good game manager going forward. Elite status no more.

Another silver lining is now we get to find out how much Welker benefited from Moss on the other side.

I know the answer but I hope Welker's production does not get hurt with teams being able to focus their number one CB on him now.

Crap!!!

per Adam Schefter:

Trade is done: Randy Moss to Minnesota for a third-round pick. Details on ESPN's Sportscenter at 9 a.m.

This is a terrible on field move for the Patriots. Bottom line. The guy occupies double-teams and opens up the middle of the field against most defenses. Statistical production or not, he's a game-changer.

As a Patriots fan, I can't stand this trade.

Users who are viewing this thread