What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorial Green-Beckham (1 Viewer)

RC94 said:
He's like the scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz - he needs a brain.
I think he's more like the Tin man.  Never played to his size, lacks that heart.  Or hell, maybe it's courage.  Could he be all three characters?

I think he's more like the Tin man.  Never played to his size, lacks that heart.  Or hell, maybe it's courage.  Could he be all three characters?
He definitely seems to lack heart.  He has a lot of shortcomings and I think most are linked to his 10-cent head and his lack of work ethic, which can also be linked to a lack of heart.  Mainly I was just looking to use a funny analogy, but if a player with his size and speed can't make it at all in the NFL, it's got to be for a number of reasons, most of which are related to intangibles.

He definitely seems to lack heart.  He has a lot of shortcomings and I think most are linked to his 10-cent head and his lack of work ethic, which can also be linked to a lack of heart.  Mainly I was just looking to use a funny analogy, but if a player with his size and speed can't make it at all in the NFL, it's got to be for a number of reasons, most of which are related to intangibles.
Why lack heart? AFAIK he's been a good boy in the NFL. In Ten we were all hypersensitive and he did just fine with personality issues.

I've never wholly understood why players can't grasp a playbook. I remember Andrew Turzilli (fellow tall rook when Titans had small tall lineups) spending tons of time studying with DGB. He did pretty well late in his rookie year. I understand pro plays are complex but this is all they do. It's your living. Can't you grab a friend, a former teacher, or...your wife and go to a local field and memorize things? Practice routes? etc? Many HS coaches make squat- throw one some money to tutor you? 

People like him bother me because I can't understand it on a personal level. He's blessed and gifted. How hard is it to admit your deficiency and get someone to help? It's just so odd when it's not speed or ability to catch etc.

On the other side, I've seen guys that I swear just run the same slant route or deep route. He's a giant monster of a WR. A team can't use that?

Last but not least- I don't like how the Eagles don't appreciate their WRs. Every one seems to fall out of favor. He hasn't accomplished anything so I get him, but in totality, who have they held onto? Thanks for everything, let's give you some $ so our QB has a nice target? Who was first? Desean? Maclin? I'd bet there's another one or two cut by September. They better get that settled down for their young QB

Yah, maybe he simply wasn't a good football player.

That's a reason that every WR in the NFL isn't a failed college small forward. 

All he ever was more than most was tall.  

Why lack heart? AFAIK he's been a good boy in the NFL. In Ten we were all hypersensitive and he did just fine with personality issues.

I've never wholly understood why players can't grasp a playbook. I remember Andrew Turzilli (fellow tall rook when Titans had small tall lineups) spending tons of time studying with DGB. He did pretty well late in his rookie year. I understand pro plays are complex but this is all they do. It's your living. Can't you grab a friend, a former teacher, or...your wife and go to a local field and memorize things? Practice routes? etc? Many HS coaches make squat- throw one some money to tutor you? 

People like him bother me because I can't understand it on a personal level. He's blessed and gifted. How hard is it to admit your deficiency and get someone to help? It's just so odd when it's not speed or ability to catch etc.

On the other side, I've seen guys that I swear just run the same slant route or deep route. He's a giant monster of a WR. A team can't use that?

Last but not least- I don't like how the Eagles don't appreciate their WRs. Every one seems to fall out of favor. He hasn't accomplished anything so I get him, but in totality, who have they held onto? Thanks for everything, let's give you some $ so our QB has a nice target? Who was first? Desean? Maclin? I'd bet there's another one or two cut by September. They better get that settled down for their young QB
To someone of average intelligence, yes, it seems ridiculous a player cannot grasp a playbook. However many of these guys are just flat out dumb. They've likely gotten by on simple playbooks not as complex as the NFL where often times you are basing your route/play on the defense as it develops. Many of these guys run from X to O and that's it. Asking them to make decisions is like asking your mechanic to perform heart surgery on you. Many of these guys are freak athletes and made it this far because of their pure athleticism. However, at the NFL level suddenly everyone is a freak athlete. Level the athleticism playing field and now you're stuck with smarts. If yuo don't have smarts you won't make it. 

To your last point, I think the Eagles do appreciate their WRs. So they didn't' give Jackson a heap loads of money... where would that have gotten PHI the last few years? Nowhere. they let DGB go because he's dead weight and they appreciate the talent they have behind/in front of him and felt they were better off giving up on a lost cause and going with guys with more promise. For all we know they pulled out all the stops to try and help him, afterall they had millions invested in him, and he just didn't pan out. The best thing a team can do is understand when their money invested becomes bad money. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how many reports there were around the media, but he was known for being a prima donna and a pothead in HS.  Million dollar skillset with a ten cent head.
Meh, i live there. I went to the same HS but graduated well before he attended. I followed his stuff fairly closely locally, if that was a rumor then fine, but i sont recall it being reported at all. 

I think a lot of people assume he was a bad kid and whatever because he did a lot ( a lot...) of dumb stuff in college. Im sure he wasnt a saint as a HS kid, just saying im fairly close to whatever sources wouldve reported that and likely wouldve seen or heard it, and didnt. 

My .02

To someone of average intelligence, yes, it seems ridiculous a player cannot grasp a playbook. However many of these guys are just flat out dumb. They've likely gotten by on simple playbooks not as complex as the NFL where often times you are basing your route/play on the defense as it develops. Many of these guys run from X to O and that's it. Asking them to make decisions is like asking your mechanic to perform heart surgery on you. Many of these guys are freak athletes and made it this far because of their pure athleticism. However, at the NFL level suddenly everyone is a freak athlete. Level the athleticism playing field and now you're stuck with smarts. If yuo don't have smarts you won't make it. 

To your last point, I think the Eagles do appreciate their WRs. So they didn't' give Jackson a heap loads of money... where would that have gotten PHI the last few years? Nowhere. they let DGB go because he's dead weight and they appreciate the talent they have behind/in front of him and felt they were better off giving up on a lost cause and going with guys with more promise. For all we know they pulled out all the stops to try and help him, afterall they had millions invested in him, and he just didn't pan out. The best thing a team can do is understand when their money invested becomes bad money. 
I had said I understood the Eagles cutting DGB. I can't think of the last WR to stick there. I've gone back 6-7 years on ourlads and still don't really see anyone. Over the years, I've noticed a lot of teams do this and it's gotta stop when you get a QB you love. The team has to give him a WR corps he knows and one guy he adores. They have to do minimal changes to get better. I said the same with the Titans (DGBs other team) and Mariota. OK you've added a zillion WRs this year, now stop. Maybe add one per year, but the way both teams can have 3 of the top 4 be new players, that's gotta stop. Mariota's had Whis' offense, Mularkey's 3 TE one, and many are projecting a change this year. Mariota's always had to deal with this change while recovering from injury too. Pederson gave Wentz and his inexperienced QBs a small almost sample of his KC flavored offense last year. It'll be more complex this year. The QBs will always be this tease for the offensive coordinator to alter the offense every offseason to try and tailor it to their strengths. That's enough for the young guns. A common point with almost every famous QB is some stability in the WR corps. Both teams, probably both GMs, need to start to consider that.

Bri said:
I had said I understood the Eagles cutting DGB. I can't think of the last WR to stick there. I've gone back 6-7 years on ourlads and still don't really see anyone. Over the years, I've noticed a lot of teams do this and it's gotta stop when you get a QB you love. The team has to give him a WR corps he knows and one guy he adores. They have to do minimal changes to get better. I said the same with the Titans (DGBs other team) and Mariota. OK you've added a zillion WRs this year, now stop. Maybe add one per year, but the way both teams can have 3 of the top 4 be new players, that's gotta stop. Mariota's had Whis' offense, Mularkey's 3 TE one, and many are projecting a change this year. Mariota's always had to deal with this change while recovering from injury too. Pederson gave Wentz and his inexperienced QBs a small almost sample of his KC flavored offense last year. It'll be more complex this year. The QBs will always be this tease for the offensive coordinator to alter the offense every offseason to try and tailor it to their strengths. That's enough for the young guns. A common point with almost every famous QB is some stability in the WR corps. Both teams, probably both GMs, need to start to consider that.
I agree with the idea that continuity is underrated, but only the greats get it done with a bunch of ??? at wr. Manning and Brady made ok WRs great, I don't think wentz is going that route. Luck has Hilton and the rest haven't really panned out, so what? Keep rolling out the same $@&)heads out there week in and week out? 

Bri said:

Transcendent QBs make all players around them better and mediocre WRs look great.  It's easy to carry the same WRs with those guys.  Remember how Favre made FBOC Freeman and Schroeder look?  Brees hasn't played with the same receivers for extended periods.

But I hope you aren't lumping Wentz in with those guys.  PHI ought to be trying to upgrade WRs around him, even if the risks don't pan out sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bri said:
Well, Wentz has been there for 1 year and all of the WRs were crap.  So they cut the deadweight and brought in Jeffrey and Smith and draft 2 WRs.  Maclin and DeSean have nothing to do with any of it.  Doubling down on the terrible corps from last year would be a waste of time.

Well, Wentz has been there for 1 year and all of the WRs were crap.  So they cut the deadweight and brought in Jeffrey and Smith and draft 2 WRs.  Maclin and DeSean have nothing to do with any of it.  Doubling down on the terrible corps from last year would be a waste of time.
This guy gets it.  Iisten to him

Meh, i live there. I went to the same HS but graduated well before he attended. I followed his stuff fairly closely locally, if that was a rumor then fine, but i sont recall it being reported at all. 

I think a lot of people assume he was a bad kid and whatever because he did a lot ( a lot...) of dumb stuff in college. Im sure he wasnt a saint as a HS kid, just saying im fairly close to whatever sources wouldve reported that and likely wouldve seen or heard it, and didnt. 

My .02
I am involved in the HS football in the area (I actually started this thread).  I can confirm that he was caught at parties with drugs a couple of times, but never got hit with anything personally and was known for running with the wrong crowd, but nothing ever attributed directly to him, thus no reports.  Also, heard rumors he didn't watch any film or really prep for games but just relied on his physical ability.  Nothing concrete there, just rumor mill stuff.

A lot of people (me included) were hoping it was just a maturity thing and that he'd grow out of it, but he seemed to just double down in college.  Honestly, I'm not surprised he isn't getting it done in the pros.  Being local, we'd always hoped he would meet his potential, but it just isn't happening.

I wrote start to consider that, we're not disagreeing

Not sure why some people are surprised, he wasn't even good in college. He lived and was drafted due to hype.

Tex

Ex-Eagles WR Dorial Green-Beckham passed through waivers unclaimed.

He's now an unrestricted free agent. The 40th overall pick in the 2015 draft, Green-Beckham has experienced a dramatic and steep fall with no teams willing to even bring him to camp at his $944K base salary. Green-Beckham should resurface on a minimum-salary deal, but he can now officially be declared a bust. After a discouraging 2016 season in Philadelphia, Green-Beckham reportedly turned in a pathetic performance at Eagles OTAs and minicamp, loafing and making repeated mistakes. His heart was never in it.

Related: Eagles, Titans

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Jul 5 - 5:01 PM

Seems like maybe he should just stay in house every December. 
guy is a legit moron

I live in the same town. If he hasnt figured out that the police follow him around when he comes home, then I guess he is just going to end up in jail at some point *shrugs*

Former NFL WR Dorial Green-Beckham was formally charged with resisting arrest and possessing 10 grams or less of marijuana on Thursday.

The charges stem from a December arrest in Springfield, Missouri. Police allege Green-Beckham fled the scene during a drug raid, escaping out the window before officers tased and apprehended him. Both charges are misdemeanors. The former Titans and Eagles wide receiver was just released from jail after serving a 90-day sentence for DWI, which violated his probation. The 2015 second-rounder hasn't played an NFL down in almost three years.

SOURCE: Springfield News-Leader

Jun 30, 2019, 8:55 AM ET

I saw this on rotoworld and thought, why is this guy still getting attention from sports outlets?  He barely played, sucked when he did, hasn't in years, and has no shot of returning.

Can't we just never mention him again?

Users who are viewing this thread