What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dorin Dickerson: Interesting Dynasty Prospect (1 Viewer)

Hoss_Cartwright

Footballguy
A converted TE to WR has nice size and did produce very good combine numbers. He played WR as a freshman at Pittsburgh, then converted to defense as a reserve linebacker his sophomore year. Then he played TE his junior and senior seasons. Dickerson had 45 receptions for 508 yards (11.3 avg.) and 10 touchdowns during his senior season. At the combine, Dickerson ran a 4.40 in the 40 yard dash and his vertical jump was 43 ½ inches. His size 6'3" 230 lbs compares to Andre Johnson's size. Now I'm not saying that Dickerson has the same talent as Johnson, but there are some similarities other than size here that you can't ignore. Dickerson possesses the same speed as Johnson and a better vertical jump. Houston could sure use a better WR #2 than Jacoby Jones or Kevin Walter and Dickerson could be the one for the job long term. There are many WR prospects on many teams that we all stash as a lottery ticket, but a lot of those prospects have their own deficiencies or lousy QB situation, which is one area in fantasy football we can't ignore as much as we want to. You could do worse than Matt Schaub throwing the ball, so he could have a lot of FF value if given the chance in Houston. Not sure if Jacoby Jones will sign elsewhere in 2011, but if he does you should keep an eye on Dickerson as a possible sleeper. In leagues with large rosters (24+) you should be able to find a spot at the end of your bench for someone like Dickerson.

He has been traded twice in one of my dynasty leagues in the last month, evidently there are some people out there that think he can be productive.

Even if Jacoby Jones leaves, Dickerson will probably be no better than 4th in the pecking order behind AJ, Daniels, and Walter.

He has been traded twice in one of my dynasty leagues in the last month, evidently there are some people out there that think he can be productive.Even if Jacoby Jones leaves, Dickerson will probably be no better than 4th in the pecking order behind AJ, Daniels, and Walter.
I don't think Walter is anything special.

He has been traded twice in one of my dynasty leagues in the last month, evidently there are some people out there that think he can be productive.Even if Jacoby Jones leaves, Dickerson will probably be no better than 4th in the pecking order behind AJ, Daniels, and Walter.
Special enough to keep Jacoby Jones from being a starter so far (which may not be saying a lot).

Special enough to keep Jacoby Jones from being a starter so far (which may not be saying a lot).
Precisely why I think both Jones and Walter are easily replaced.

I don't think anyone thinks Walter is special.He is, though, a big reliable target that knows the offense and is an above average run blocker.The reliable/knows the offense angle generally trumps all but the most elite physical talents.

Walter is not a physical speciman, but he had the best hands in the league over the last 3 years(Fitzgerald was #2).http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/

Walter is not a physical speciman, but he had the best hands in the league over the last 3 years(Fitzgerald was #2).http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/
....but you have to admit it wouldn't be a stretch to replace him. I'm not saying he will, but Dickerson could be someone to keep an eye on. It's not like he has to replace a stud WR #2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dickerson is a raw but rare talent. The current coaching staff will give him every opportunity to earn a spot on the field. If he does win that spot I want him on the end of my roster. It's either him or the likes of Gaffney. I'll take the upside potential of Dickerson....or you can wait until he has that first 6-100yd 1TD game and spend big $$$ for him. You can always waive him and try the next talent.

the time to buy on this guy is now, but I am not sure he'll replace Walter this year. Walter is just too reliable and signed to 2014 or something like that. Dickerson is a great handcuff for AJ owners though. Need an injury for him to get his shot.

I am curious what this emoticon means.Thanks.
I means I am posting but have nothing useful to add. On the plus side for me the thread will now be marked when I'm logged in so I remember that I clicked on this thread and added nothing to the conversationOn the old forum (the one that didn't hurt your eyes) after you posted in a thread it would have a black dot on it. At one point the corner would be white hence the hilarious :seahorn:.Get it? White corner. Have to wait till I stop laughing...Ok, done. Now we get that weird looking paper-clipped note on threads that we have been replied to

'Shane Falco said:
'MTskibum said:
'GoodLloydHaveMercy said:
I means I am posting but have nothing useful to add. On the plus side for me the thread will now be marked when I'm logged in so I remember that I clicked on this thread and added nothing to the conversationOn the old forum (the one that didn't hurt your eyes) after you posted in a thread it would have a black dot on it. At one point the corner would be white hence the hilarious :seahorn:.Get it? White corner. Have to wait till I stop laughing...Ok, done. Now we get that weird looking paper-clipped note on threads that we have been replied to
:blackdot:

'Shane Falco said:
'MTskibum said:
:goodposting: nothing to add but I miss Old Yella :blackdot:

'Shane Falco said:
'MTskibum said:
:goodposting: nothing to add but I miss Old Yella :blackdot:
haha honestly I thought it just meant that I was bumping the thread so that I could come back and read it later because I was supposed to be working... nothing really to add except that K-Walt has always been a late rd sleeper for me that I can use in a pinch for bye weeks or an occasional start here or there... I dont expect that to change much this yr but I will be keeping an eye on Dickerson (if we have a preseason)... especially if they decide to let Jacoby Jones walk. Im a sucker for tweaners like Aaron Hernandez... guys with TE size but WR skills.

Houston is ripe for another receiving option, even with a healthy AJ and Daniels. Not sure if Dickerson will be the guy, but you have to give him a look if you are in dynasty. I liken this offense to that of the Colts...not as good of course, but they are fine beating teams 28-24, versus a "grind it out" kinda game. Their running game is more sophisticated than that of the Colts (regardless who is running the ball), but they also air it out; enough so, that it warrants another WR to put up 800 yard - 7 TD seasons. Walter did just that for a couple of years, but when you look at his age and that of Johnson, this team is primed for a younger WR.

So Kevin Walter, who is 6'3 220 and known for his toughness and run blocking, is not considered a big, physical guy?
pretty sure, I didn't say that :rolleyes: Also pretty sure I said "I have no reason or insight" so probably from the information I have gleaned since last years draft is telling me he is bigger and more physical than Walter.And IMO- Walter is a guy that most people keep trying to write off and replace so it slants opinion and makes people think that they want to replace him. Sorry to insult you Mr. Walter ;)

I always like stashing raw athlete-types with some upside over guys who are safer but with low ceilings. But in this case...

Is there much history of college TEs converting into fantasy relevant WRs? I'm sure there are some, but it doesn't seem natural. I remember this guy from back when he was being recruited out of HS. Dickerson is a guy who always seemed like a good athlete in shorts, but could never find a real position until he played sort of a hybrid TE late in his college career. He was recruited as a RB/LB, but was never physical or explosive enough for either. Even at the college level, he never jumped out at you as having college WR explosiveness, even though his computer numbers were pretty decent. He was not physical enough to be a good blocker as a college TE. So I wonder if he really is the kind of athlete that can get open as an NFL WR, or if he really plays as physically as his size. Seems like a classic tweener to me.

Just throwing this out there for dynasty owners of Dorin Dickerson to watch. According to Nick Scurfield, Kubiak said he was impressed by WR Lestar Jean and is going to move him up and get him more reps.

It bears watching, as I haven't heard a lot of great things about Dickerson so far in camp though he's been the 4th WR so far and had chances with the 1st string in 4 WR sets.

Jean could be the kind of enormous red zone target that the Texans haven't really had at WR.

Just throwing this out there for dynasty owners of Dorin Dickerson to watch. According to Nick Scurfield, Kubiak said he was impressed by WR Lestar Jean and is going to move him up and get him more reps. It bears watching, as I haven't heard a lot of great things about Dickerson so far in camp though he's been the 4th WR so far and had chances with the 1st string in 4 WR sets.Jean could be the kind of enormous red zone target that the Texans haven't really had at WR.
You forget about a guy named Andre Johnson? :confused:

Just throwing this out there for dynasty owners of Dorin Dickerson to watch. According to Nick Scurfield, Kubiak said he was impressed by WR Lestar Jean and is going to move him up and get him more reps. It bears watching, as I haven't heard a lot of great things about Dickerson so far in camp though he's been the 4th WR so far and had chances with the 1st string in 4 WR sets.Jean could be the kind of enormous red zone target that the Texans haven't really had at WR.
:lol:

No I didn't. Dre is obviously good in the red zone, though I don't think he gets used in the red zone like a Moss or a Plaxico as much. That is I think he tends to get open and then get thrown to where he's just one option, instead of lobbing it up for him right off the snap with the expectation he's going to use his size to win the battle.That said, it was probably poor wording. Another enormous red zone target if you will.

This made me decide to put my recollections about the Texans red zone targets to the test, because memory can be a tricky thing after all.

Looking at red zone targets (i.e. anything inside the 20) from 2007 through present, AJ has 3 of the top 4 slots for red zone targets per season for the Texans, and by a fair margin generally over the rest of the team, that I'd say is probably consistent with how often he's targeted on the rest of the field. Most years he draws about 50-70 more targets a year than the next most targeted receiver on the Texans.

But looking at the same data set for targets inside the ten, AJ drops back to even at best with the rest of the receivers and TEs in number of targets, which is in line with what my impressions were:

NAME POS YR TARG REC RECYD YD/REC FD RECTD Andre Johnson wr 2007 5 4 23 5.75 4 4Owen Daniels te 2007 5 3 12 4 3 3Kevin Walter wr 2007 4 3 15 5 2 2Andre Davis wr 2007 4 2 13 6.5 0 0David Anderson wr 2007 1 1 7 7 1 1Joel Dreessen te 2007 1 1 10 10 1 1Jeb Putzier te 2007 1 1 7 7 1 1Kevin Walter wr 2008 10 5 24 4.8 3 3Andre Johnson wr 2008 9 5 21 4.2 2 2Owen Daniels te 2008 8 4 13 3.25 3 2David Anderson wr 2008 4 2 9 4.5 2 2Andre Davis wr 2008 2 0 0 0 0Joel Dreessen te 2008 1 0 0 0 0Andre Johnson wr 2009 6 3 19 6.3333 3 2Joel Dreessen te 2009 4 1 5 5 0 0Owen Daniels te 2009 4 3 10 3.3333 3 3Kevin Walter wr 2009 4 2 12 6 2 2Jacoby Jones wr 2009 2 2 18 9 2 2David Anderson wr 2009 1 0 0 0 0Jacoby Jones wr 2010 7 3 20 6.6667 3 3Kevin Walter wr 2010 6 3 17 5.6667 3 3Andre Johnson wr 2010 5 3 16 5.3333 3 3Owen Daniels te 2010 4 2 8 4 2 2Joel Dreessen te 2010 2 2 6 3 2 2James Casey te 2010 2 0 0 0 0
Dre missed 3 games last year and 7 in 2007 which I didn't adjust for, nor did I adjust for other players who missed significant time like Owen Daniels has. But even in the years he played a full 16 games he wasn't thrown to inside the 10 like he was head and shoulders the best end zone target. In 2009 he barely had more targets than Daniels who missed half the season.

Compare that to how a Randy Moss got targeted on the Patriots inside the 10:

NAME POS YR TARG REC RECYD YD/REC FD RECTD Randy Moss wr 2007 20 15 65 4.3333 11 10Jabar Gaffney wr 2007 9 4 19 4.75 3 2Ben Watson te 2007 8 6 36 6 6 5Wes Welker wr 2007 7 4 10 2.5 3 3D Stallworth wr 2007 5 1 7 7 1 0Kyle Brady te 2007 4 3 8 2.6667 2 2M Rivers te 2007 1 0 0 0 0Randy Moss wr 2008 13 3 27 9 3 3Wes Welker wr 2008 5 2 13 6.5 1 1Ben Watson te 2008 4 3 16 5.3333 2 2David Thomas te 2008 3 1 2 2 0 0Jabar Gaffney wr 2008 1 1 5 5 1 1Randy Moss wr 2009 13 5 26 5.2 5 5Wes Welker wr 2009 4 3 17 5.6667 2 2Ben Watson te 2009 3 3 18 6 2 2Joey Galloway wr 2009 2 0 0 0 0Julian Edelman wr 2009 2 1 9 9 1 1Wes Welker wr 2010 13 8 46 5.75 5 4Rob Gronkowski te 2010 10 9 46 5.1111 7 7Aaron Hernandez te 2010 7 6 24 4 6 6Deion Branch wr 2010 5 2 11 5.5 1 1Brandon Tate wr 2010 3 1 4 4 1 1Alge Crumpler te 2010 2 2 14 7 2 2Julian Edelman wr 2010 2 0 0 0 0Randy Moss wr 2010 1 1 7 7 1 1
Obviously a difference, where in some years Moss got nearly as many of those targets as the rest of the team combined.

Not saying Jean is the next Randy Moss obviously, nor even saying he is as good of a red zone target. But I'm saying there is the opportunity on the Texans for a tall receiver to carve out a niche as a primary end zone target. That said he's listed as the same size as Andre Johnson is, though I swear side by side that Jean looked as tall as Toliver who is listed at 6'5".

Dickerson was signed to the Pats practice squad towards the end of the season. Could the Pats put him on the outside to utilize his size and speed? Anything to see here? He's young, he has a great combo of size and speed, does he have a shot or is he fool's gold?

Dickerson was signed to the Pats practice squad towards the end of the season. Could the Pats put him on the outside to utilize his size and speed? Anything to see here? He's young, he has a great combo of size and speed, does he have a shot or is he fool's gold?
When a season ends the practice squad is eliminated and if the team is still interested in keeping them those players typically sign what is called reserve/future contracts. The Patriots did not offer Dickerson such a contract, so as of now he's a free agent.

What I would question is the two places who cut him...the Texans needed a developmental WR and he could not make the squad (really did not get any significant playing time in the pre-season). The Steelers have been aces at finding young Wrs over the last few years (Wallace, Sanders, Brown) and they had Dickerson on practice squad a few weeks and let him go. On the other hand, the one position where the Patriots have trouble is young WRs. Good @ finding veterans, but the Pats have been through a ton of young WRs with no significant parts.

I like reading a lot of Hoss' posts because he brings up a lot of good thinking subjects on various players. On this one though, I think its a topic to just put to bed. Playing in large dynasty leagues with big rosters, Dorin Dickerson has been a guy that myself and others have been stashing for a few seasons now and I have been following his "news" for two+ years and honestly, I just don't see it. I picked him up for all the same reasons Hoss mentioned but sometimes I think you just don't get the opportunity or maybe the team just doesn't see enough to believe in a guy during the week's practice and meetings. Whatever it is, Dickerson just never gets any good momentum going his way.

Comparing him to a guy that gets one toe in a door and runs with it (like Cruz or Colston, etc) and I just am at the point where I think that, given the number of games that WRs and TEs have missed for the Texans the past few years and given that the texans went out and signed guys like Mason instead of using what they had, or moving guys like Casey around instead of giving Dickerson some run...I just think its not meant to be.

I like reading a lot of Hoss' posts because he brings up a lot of good thinking subjects on various players. On this one though, I think its a topic to just put to bed. Playing in large dynasty leagues with big rosters, Dorin Dickerson has been a guy that myself and others have been stashing for a few seasons now and I have been following his "news" for two+ years and honestly, I just don't see it. I picked him up for all the same reasons Hoss mentioned but sometimes I think you just don't get the opportunity or maybe the team just doesn't see enough to believe in a guy during the week's practice and meetings. Whatever it is, Dickerson just never gets any good momentum going his way.Comparing him to a guy that gets one toe in a door and runs with it (like Cruz or Colston, etc) and I just am at the point where I think that, given the number of games that WRs and TEs have missed for the Texans the past few years and given that the texans went out and signed guys like Mason instead of using what they had, or moving guys like Casey around instead of giving Dickerson some run...I just think its not meant to be.
Just for the record.....I've already jumped ship. Sometimes you just have to move on.

Some smart team needs to sign him and convert him to Safety/Linebacker to cover the new age TE's. He played Outside Linebacker one year at Pitt and was committed to the change before switching back.

'Xue said:
Some smart team needs to sign him and convert him to Safety/Linebacker to cover the new age TE's. He played Outside Linebacker one year at Pitt and was committed to the change before switching back.
Considering that he is hanging around by a thread, it really won't cost a team much give it a looksee considering his background. More likely he is an athlete w/o a true position and will never be anything significant. Concerns me that he has played seemingly every position on the field and even in college his team would not just let him be long enough to make or not make it.

Dickerson got a tryout in a Bills mini-camp and they ended up signing him today. "The club reportedly envisions Dickerson as an “off the line tight end/H-back prospect,” and is listing him as a fullback for the time being."

I think he's gonna get a Marcel Reece/James Casey type of role with the Bills. Don't get the feeling he will be fantasy relevant.

'Xue said:
I think he's gonna get a Marcel Reece/James Casey type of role with the Bills. Don't get the feeling he will be fantasy relevant.
From what I hear, they'd like to actually ideally design a role just for him similar to Aaron Hernandez's.

'Xue said:
From what I hear, they'd like to actually ideally design a role just for him similar to Aaron Hernandez's.
Hearing the same thing. I know he's not the football player Hernandez is, but he is a better athlete I think. I know it doesn't mean much, but he is bigger, faster, stronger for whatever it's worth. At the combine I think the dude ran a 4.4, jumped over 40" and put up other ridiculous stats. He was drafted as a WR but played TE at Pitt. Maybe the position change was too difficult and what the Bills want to do with him will fit his skill set better. Who knows, I like his potential though.

Users who are viewing this thread