What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr Palmer - Lion Hunter - NOW A POLE! (1 Viewer)

Jail Time For This Guy Here?

• Total voters
Is this the thread that we are supposed to show our fake outrage?
Dammit! Some guy I never heard of went to some wildlife refuge I never heard of and killed some lion I never heard of! I'm so pissed that I hope his business that I never heard of fails!(note: I don't care for hunting for "sport" but some of the reactions on the internet are way over the top.)
That's a good way to look at things.

Some Arab guy I've never heard of just convinced a bunch of Arab guys I've never heard of to crash some planes into a building a kill 5000 people I've never heard of. No need for outrage.
Wow, this must be some lion for him to be compared to the deaths of 2977 people plus drastically change the life of every American.

$54600 to shoot the lion.Why didnt I become a dentist. Holy #### he has that much disposable money
I'd never do a hunt like this (or any hunt involving mammels) but the countries do benefit significantly from the fees generated.
this is actually a misconception that has been raised and debunked in the course of the coverage of this sad event.
link? (not doubting you, but would be nice to see some actual evidence to the claim either way)

$54600 to shoot the lion.Why didnt I become a dentist. Holy #### he has that much disposable money
I'd never do a hunt like this (or any hunt involving mammels) but the countries do benefit significantly from the fees generated.
this is actually a misconception that has been raised and debunked in the course of the coverage of this sad event.
is that just for this case b/c Cecil generated a lot of tourist dollars or for trophy killing in general?

Dammit! Some guy I never heard of went to some wildlife refuge I never heard of and killed some lion I never heard of! I'm so pissed that I hope his business that I never heard of fails!(note: I don't care for hunting for "sport" but some of the reactions on the internet are way over the top.)

Some Arab guy I've never heard of just convinced a bunch of Arab guys I've never heard of to crash some planes into a building a kill 5000 people I've never heard of. No need for outrage.
Wow, this must be some lion for him to be compared to the deaths of 2977 people plus drastically change the life of every American.
A bit over the top, but I can understand the reply. Belittling people who give a #### about what happened isn't very becoming. Yes, many people overreacted, but I think much of the outrage is warranted.

I have no idea who gets paid and where the money goes etc. but this type of thing does seem pretty short sighted way to make a buck.

A bit over the top, but I can understand the reply. Belittling people who give a #### about what happened isn't very becoming. Yes, many people overreacted, but I think much of the outrage is warranted.
I'm not belittling them. Just pointing out that they only get offended and outraged when people tell them to get offended. If they were truly offended by lion hunting, they'd be outraged all the damn time. The Washington Posts says that 600 lions are killed each year by American hunters. Keep in mind, that's just American hunters (actually, the Post says it's 600 Rich American hunters.) So where's the outrage over the other 599? Seriously, the only time most people get outraged about it is when someone seems to find a facebook or twitter photo of the person standing next to the dead lion and says "This guy just murdered a lion! Let him have it." So I have doubts whether people are truly outraged or just want to join in the outrage. I suspect most of them have beliefs like mine that they don't like lion hunting but instead of just calmly stating their beliefs, they unleash all their anger and hatred from the safety of their laptop.

link? (not doubting you, but would be nice to see some actual evidence to the claim either way)
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/africa/zimbabwe-cecil-the-lion-killed/index.html

referred to here. Busy at work at the moment so don't have the time to unearth the primary research source material. However, not hard to imagine that any revenue obtained through trophy hunting does not have a meaningful impact on the local economy. I'm not saying that the local elite and government officials do not benefit, they almost certainly do. But that doesn't mean there is a net positive (meaningful) economic impact for the local population.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they lured the lion out of the protected area by dragging a dead animal behind the jeep, at night... and then shined a spot light on the lion and shot him with an arrow. It didn't kill the lion so they tracked him until they caught up with him then shot him. He cut his head off, skinned him, took the tracking collar off the lion and tried to destroy it.. then left the carcass to rot. Geez, what a scumbag.
Each sentence in this paragraph is more disgusting than the previous.

how should I know? people are telling me I shouldn't be. I'm so confused.

I am surprised to learn how much a dentist makes. That dude seem to make bank if he was paying $50000 for all these crazy trips.
A guy I know from my last church works at the local university and has gone on a couple of legitimate safaris. In fact, on one of them he met Mike Babcock (then of the Red Wings).

If you want the trophy game hunting to end over in Africa, here's a much simpler (but probably less satisfying) way to achieve besides shouting death threats and such at him over the internet. Call your congressperson and senators and make the case for a bill that would ban the importation on killed trophyanimals. Because most of these hunters aren't going to hunt if they can't keep the trophy.

If you want the trophy game hunting to end over in Africa, here's a much simpler (but probably less satisfying) way to achieve besides shouting death threats and such at him over the internet. Call your congressperson and senators and make the case for a bill that would ban the importation on killed trophyanimals. Because most of these hunters aren't going to hunt if they can't keep the trophy.
Sounds good. In the meantime this dentist turd should continued to be mocked.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/29/africa/zimbabwe-cecil-the-lion-killed/index.html

referred to here. Busy at work at the moment so don't have the time to unearth the primary research source material. However, not hard to imagine that any revenue obtained through trophy hunting does not have a meaningful impact on the local economy. I'm not saying that the local elite and government officials do not benefit, they almost certainly do. But that doesn't mean there is a net positive (meaningful) economic impact for the local population.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/us/conservation-hunting-right-or-wrong/index.html

Another article from CNN with both pros and cons.

Yeah because that's really stopped the ivory trade.

So they lured the lion out of the protected area by dragging a dead animal behind the jeep, at night... and then shined a spot light on the lion and shot him with an arrow. It didn't kill the lion so they tracked him until they caught up with him then shot him. He cut his head off, skinned him, took the tracking collar off the lion and tried to destroy it.. then left the carcass to rot. Geez, what a scumbag.
Real tough guy. That's his technique for big game hunting? Ginormous POS.

Yeah because that's really stopped the ivory trade.
Big difference is that ivory is still in demand in many, many places. Having a stuffed and mounted lion in the living room is pretty much an American thing.

To be fair, we don't know if Palmer himself did that or knew of it or if it was something the guides did on their own (remember, they have a vested interest in Palmer quickly killing a lion.)

I'm not belittling them. Just pointing out that they only get offended and outraged when people tell them to get offended. If they were truly offended by lion hunting, they'd be outraged all the damn time. The Washington Posts says that 600 lions are killed each year by American hunters. Keep in mind, that's just American hunters (actually, the Post says it's 600 Rich American hunters.) So where's the outrage over the other 599? Seriously, the only time most people get outraged about it is when someone seems to find a facebook or twitter photo of the person standing next to the dead lion and says "This guy just murdered a lion! Let him have it." So I have doubts whether people are truly outraged or just want to join in the outrage. I suspect most of them have beliefs like mine that they don't like lion hunting but instead of just calmly stating their beliefs, they unleash all their anger and hatred from the safety of their laptop.
"Empathy rarely extends beyond line of sight" I think is fairly apt here.

Just because the world is littered with atrocities that people can't see doesn't mean they can't get upset over the ones they do. People are raped every second of every day across the world and you're not going on a tirade about it, but if you saw it happen or saw a video of it you would probably be pretty ticked (see: Ray Rice and domestic abuse compared to someone like Brandon Marshall). To be fair, I kind of agree with you on this point that things we see are given too much weight compared to things we don't, but I think that's probably a part of human psychology.

Further, there are clearly other issues at play here that make it worse. The fact that he killed the lion illegally and the brutal way in which he did it both among them, but also largely because of the fame of the lion. And yes, most people here had never heard of Cecil, but while this may or may not be a strange concept to you, some people are capable of understanding how important something is to lots of other people even if it wasn't something that was beloved by them personally.

To be fair, we don't know if Palmer himself did that or knew of it or if it was something the guides did on their own (remember, they have a vested interest in Palmer quickly killing a lion.)
What part wouldn't he have known about or been directly involved with?

Sounds good. In the meantime this dentist turd should continued to be mocked.
:goodposting:

Dude's practice is ruined, his dental web page has 2900 negative yelp reviews from people that have never stepped foot in his office.

He'll have to sell the practice and move. He shouldn't have killed the lion, but he was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time as many many people do this without getting their lives ruined.

I've been to Zimbabwe when I tagged along with my dad who did some big game hunting (i have no interest in hunting of any sort, but I do fish and have killed some fish). What you don't see is that the money he paid went to feed a lot of starving children in that country.. and provide jobs for people that would otherwise have nothing.. so while I don't condone it, I do see it's place.

Bad story all around.. bad publicity for hunting, for dentistry, a lion is dead, and a man and his family are ruined.

There's something about dentists and hunting...

My mother-in-law's husband (we don't refer to him as "father-in-law") is a dentist and a big game hunter. He owns a vineyard and has all of his "big kills" on display. He travels the world looking for big animals to kill. He has a freaking polar bear in his tasting room, and doesn't realize the turnoff this is to the environmentally conscious public (this is Central Coast California). He's a blow-hard with a bushy mustache who smokes cigars, drinks scotch, and loves telling everyone how awesome he is.

These are guys with basically "#### you" money and I truly believe it is a form of compensation for penis envy.
My dad hunts, has been to Africa twice. Has a basement full of heads.

However, he doesn't smoke, drink scotch, or proclaim his awesomeness.

But there are a TON of dentists that hunt. ( I don't hunt, but i do enjoy fishing)

Understood, and agree for the most part. People are apathetic for the most part. 'Murica, #### yeah!

People will say over the top things on the internet for sure.If this guy is my dentist though I wouldn't give the POS another dime to fund his fetish hunts.
Which is stupid. Anyone who's ever met a big game hunter knows that they hunt big game, because they'll tell you all about it. They're just as upfront about telling you as any Crossfit person or vegan is about their lifestyle. If it took internet outrage for you to finally stop funding his expeditions, then you don't truly detest what he does, but just wanna jump on the hate bandwagon and pretend like you care about an issue which you really didn't care about.
I know they brag to friend and family but I doubt this dentist was telling each and every one of his patients about all of the animals he killed.
I dunno. My experience with dentists is that they sure like to talk a lot. I've had them tell me about their vacations, how their kids are doing in school, what type of car they're thinking about (usually a very expensive one) and so on.
Where is the resident Dentist to speak on such things?
Although I can't speak for him, I'd wager he'd rather drop 50 large on a nice set of fake #### and some wet napkins rather than take out Born Free on safari.

This is one of the reasons I'm very uncomfortable showing any signs of wealth in my own personal life. People for whatever reason are VERY uncomfortable with the idea that their health care professionals are highly compensated, whereas they somehow don't give a crap if about CEO, big shot lawyer, engineer, actuary, etc. is highly compensated.

yeah, he's got that much disposable money.. and probably a lot more than that because he's been on multiple multiple of those hunts. He's probably spending that almost every single year.

But there's also a good chance he's a live at or above his means type as well.. as many doctors/dentists/lawyers are.

So I'll just continue to live low and then retire into wealth like a fart in the wind at 53... because no one sees the size of your investment accounts.. only the car you drive, the home you live in, and occasionally your vacations.. but i'd never talk about those at the office

BillyBarooo said:
There's something about dentists and hunting...

My mother-in-law's husband (we don't refer to him as "father-in-law") is a dentist and a big game hunter. He owns a vineyard and has all of his "big kills" on display. He travels the world looking for big animals to kill. He has a freaking polar bear in his tasting room, and doesn't realize the turnoff this is to the environmentally conscious public (this is Central Coast California). He's a blow-hard with a bushy mustache who smokes cigars, drinks scotch, and loves telling everyone how awesome he is.

These are guys with basically "#### you" money and I truly believe it is a form of compensation for penis envy.
My dad hunts, has been to Africa twice. Has a basement full of heads.

However, he doesn't smoke, drink scotch, or proclaim his awesomeness.

But there are a TON of dentists that hunt. ( I don't hunt, but i do enjoy fishing)
i bet you eat those fish too? or give them to someone that will?

bad news all around in this story, agreed. But this guy deserves whatever is coming to him in the form of his business, his lifestyle, and his legal standing. Def not condoning any physical violence
yes, i eat the fish. I enjoy fish.

And most of the dentists I know that hunt are generally small game hunters and either eat or donate what they kill.

This is one of the reasons I'm very uncomfortable showing any signs of wealth in my own personal life. People for whatever reason are VERY uncomfortable with the idea that their health care professionals are highly compensated, whereas they somehow don't give a crap if about CEO, big shot lawyer, engineer, actuary, etc. is highly compensated.

yeah, he's got that much disposable money.. and probably a lot more than that because he's been on multiple multiple of those hunts. He's probably spending that almost every single year.

But there's also a good chance he's a live at or above his means type as well.. as many doctors/dentists/lawyers are.

So I'll just continue to live low and then retire into wealth like a fart in the wind at 53... because no one sees the size of your investment accounts.. only the car you drive, the home you live in, and occasionally your vacations.. but i'd never talk about those at the office
You're doing it the right way.

Dude's practice is ruined, his dental web page has 2900 negative yelp reviews from people that have never stepped foot in his office.

He'll have to sell the practice and move. He shouldn't have killed the lion, but he was clearly in the wrong place at the wrong time as many many people do this without getting their lives ruined.

I've been to Zimbabwe when I tagged along with my dad who did some big game hunting (i have no interest in hunting of any sort, but I do fish and have killed some fish). What you don't see is that the money he paid went to feed a lot of starving children in that country.. and provide jobs for people that would otherwise have nothing.. so while I don't condone it, I do see it's place.

Bad story all around.. bad publicity for hunting, for dentistry, a lion is dead, and a man and his family are ruined.
I thought so too but it's bull####. Most/all of the money stays with the company and federal government. Very little gets through to the local people.

I thought so too but it's bull####. Most/all of the money stays with the company and federal government. Very little gets through to the local people.
Hell, in this case they were poaching, so the money went directly to his accomplices.

Interesting. When I was there with my dad I saw the jobs that people had in the hunting camps.. they were very thankful for those jobs... without them they would be starving.

so maybe the lion fee doesn't goto the people, but the hunting camps are providing much needed jobs.

lol, well, thanks for ruining this thread too

You're doing it the right way.
I think it also has to do with being the person that directly charges you the money.

People hate paying someone they perceive as being rich.

And most dentists are a small business in that way.

For instance my sister is an anesthesiologist. The person getting the surgery probably doesn't even know her name and they don't have a conversation with them about how much this or that costs... whereas I have to manage questions about cost all the time when we discuss options...fix or pull, implant or bridge or nothing. same with pathologists/radiologists. anonymous.

If i could do it over again I'd be a doctor that was anonymous. Direct to public providers is a rough way to go

He'll have to sell the practice and move.
Odd question, and not the place for it - but I'll ask anyway. What's he going to sell it for now with this news? It's not worth anything. I don't really understand the value of the practice even without this news. I've seen exactly one dentist my entire life. I go that that practice to see him specifically. When he fully retires (he's only partially retired now), I'll at least be in the market for a new dentist - perhaps at this same practice, or perhaps a new one. Even without this bad news of this particular dentist, how does one value a dental practice?

What part wouldn't he have known about or been directly involved with?
It's entirely conceivable that he didn't know something was up until he actually killed the lion and saw the collar. Remember, the guides get paid pretty well to bring the hunters to a lion (or whatever they are hunting) and probably get a nice bonus from the hunter if they do it quickly because the hunters really don't want to be sitting around for days or weeks trying to find something to shoot. So I wouldn't be surprised if the guides regularly drag a carcas from a spot where they know there are lions (in this case on prohibited grounds) to lure them to a specific spot where they can bring the hunter and boast "Look at my wonderful tracking skills. I found you a lion in just one day! You pay me well and mention my services to all of your rich american hunting friends, yes?"

Don't know if that is what happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Odd question, and not the place for it - but I'll ask anyway. What's he going to sell it for now with this news? It's not worth anything. I don't really understand the value of the practice even without this news. I've seen exactly one dentist my entire life. I go that that practice to see him specifically. When he fully retires (he's only partially retired now), I'll at least be in the market for a new dentist - perhaps at this same practice, or perhaps a new one. Even without this bad news of this particular dentist, how does one value a dental practice?
the practice is essentially the customer list and that is worth money........

Assuming that they will remain with this practice after this news.

value of the equipment, the brand, and the business momentum (active patients)

So in this particular case the person in question has a bad rep. Their website has been taken offline.

I"m not sure if there were other dentists in the location... but if so their livlihoods will be affected as well.

This could get really ugly and in this case it could just be worth the equipment.

Again, this guy will be bankrupted by this most likely.

Maybe he deserves it after the sexual harassment suit, the animal slaying etc.

Not sure.. he doesn't sound like an upstanding guy

Assuming that they will remain with this practice after this news.
i am no dentist, but in financing deals like this, there is no practice. the assets are purchased, including customer list, which is techincially an intangible asset/possibly considered goodwill on a FS. a local dentist would have to step in, since the patients are local. they would likely receive a letter stating that the practice has been sold and their records have been moved to dds x. the question is the retention rate and reputational risk.

i would think the latter can be mitigated imo.

Let's say these #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar. And let's say they alert local authorities and admit an honest mistake. Does it come to this?

Let's say these #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar. And let's say they alert local authorities and admit an honest mistake. Does it come to this?
Right now Tom Brady is asking the same question about his cell phone.

Yes, because getting pleasure out of killing animals like this requires a sick mind.

Users who are viewing this thread