What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr Palmer - Lion Hunter - NOW A POLE! (1 Viewer)

Jail Time For This Guy Here?

• Total voters
People for whatever reason are VERY uncomfortable with the idea that their health care professionals are highly compensated, whereas they somehow don't give a crap if about CEO, big shot lawyer, engineer, actuary, etc. is highly compensated.
I think you have this wrong. People are okay with health care professionals being highly compensated. People are uncomfortable with the obvious conflict of interest some health care professionals have between making money and providing responsible care. Most people want a doctor (or dentist) not a sales guy trying to buy a bigger yacht caring for them. Seems pretty simple. :shrug:

So they lured the lion out of the protected area by dragging a dead animal behind the jeep, at night... and then shined a spot light on the lion and shot him with an arrow. It didn't kill the lion so they tracked him until they caught up with him then shot him. He cut his head off, skinned him, took the tracking collar off the lion and tried to destroy it.. then left the carcass to rot. Geez, what a scumbag.
Each sentence in this paragraph is more disgusting than the previous.
Real tough guy. That's his technique for big game hunting? Ginormous POS.
To be fair, we don't know if Palmer himself did that or knew of it or if it was something the guides did on their own (remember, they have a vested interest in Palmer quickly killing a lion.)
What part wouldn't he have known about or been directly involved with?
It's entirely conceivable that he didn't know something was up until he actually killed the lion and saw the collar. Remember, the guides get paid pretty well to bring the hunters to a lion (or whatever they are hunting) and probably get a nice bonus from the hunter if they do it quickly because the hunters really don't want to be sitting around for days or weeks trying to find something to shoot. So I wouldn't be surprised if the guides regularly drag a carcas from a spot where they know there are lions (in this case on prohibited grounds) to lure them to a specific spot where they can bring the hunter and boast "Look at my wonderful tracking skills. I found you a lion in just one day! You pay me well and mention my services to all of your rich american hunting friends, yes?"Don't know if that is what happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
Is this the explanation that puts it in the good light, esshh. And the part where they skin it and cut the head off for you?Pretty odd way to spend 50k but it's a free country. Just like when I find out this is the freaky #### you like to do for fun I will give my money to someone else to get my teeth fixed.

People for whatever reason are VERY uncomfortable with the idea that their health care professionals are highly compensated, whereas they somehow don't give a crap if about CEO, big shot lawyer, engineer, actuary, etc. is highly compensated.
I think you have this wrong. People are okay with health care professionals being highly compensated. People are uncomfortable with the obvious conflict of interest some health care professionals have between making money and providing responsible care. Most people want a doctor (or dentist) not a sales guy trying to buy a bigger yacht caring for them. Seems pretty simple. :shrug:
Yeah! Like how do I know the dermatologist performing a skin cancer screening, isn't just racking up the biopsies so he/she can buy a summer home?

Let's say these #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar. And let's say they alert local authorities and admit an honest mistake. Does it come to this?
OK,

These #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar.

They alert local authorities and admit an honest mistake.

Is this the thread that we are supposed to show our fake outrage?
A lot of real outrage here. No need to fake it.
Now I'm seeing outrage directed at Jimmy Kimmel for showing outrage. It's an outrage chain. People are complaining that "Jimmy Kimmel cries and makes a big deal when an African lion gets shot, but he doesn't say a word when an African-American gets shot."

LINK

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's say these #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar. And let's say they alert local authorities and admit an honest mistake. Does it come to this?
OK, These #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar.

Would you take that chance in Africa?

OK,These #######s recognize the error of their ways after they kill the lion and find the GPS collar.

Would you take that chance in Africa?
You ARE there hunting aren't you. I mean that's exactly where you chose to be. Now you don't want to accept responsibility?

I've never hunted in my life so I have no idea what people get out of it... but I do know A LOT of people enjoy hunting so maybe we should pump the breaks on the whole "these people are murderous psychopaths."

Why does it have to be any type of debate this guy is a big schmuck. There are other schmucks certainly and there are much bigger atrocities every minute.

Can we just acknowledge that there's one less closeted ######## out there?

Where's the higher species line where it's no longer OK to kill that animal? I'm assuming that nearly everyone complaining about hunting mammals has killed an insect or two.

Where's the higher species line where it's no longer OK to kill that animal? I'm assuming that nearly everyone complaining about hunting mammals has killed an insect or two.
There's no line. It's subject to both context and societal changes, just like any other issue of morality. I've never understood why people feel the need to ask for context-free bright line rules when it comes to these kind of things.

Now I'm seeing outrage directed at Jimmy Kimmel for showing outrage. It's an outrage chain. People are complaining that "Jimmy Kimmel cries and makes a big deal when an African lion gets shot, but he doesn't say a word when an African-American gets shot."

LINK
What would he do if it was an African-American Lion?

Why does it have to be any type of debate this guy is a big schmuck. There are other schmucks certainly and there are much bigger atrocities every minute.

ok, the guy's a schmuck. Does being a schmuck warrant statements like "he needs to be extradited, charged, &, preferably, hanged" or "Let us hope that Walter Palmer,who "bravely" killed a magnificent lion in Zimbabwe with a compound bow and arrows,meets a similar fate soon." or "I'd put a cross bow bolt through Walter Palmer then track him from 40 hrs, shoot him, behead him, skin him and sleep peacefully." Or all of the yelp reviews even though they never been to business? Or all the criticism being lashed out at Yelp now for deleting those reviews?(because clearly, them removing the reviews means they are in favor on the hunter's actions. Seriously, that is how people are now portraying it.)

Look at the bright side. At least the lion had a somewhat quick death. Probably much better than being wounded by a younger male and dying of exposure & starvation.

There's no line. It's subject to both context and societal changes, just like any other issue of morality. I've never understood why people feel the need to ask for context-free bright line rules when it comes to these kind of things.
You coulda just said, "Directly above cow."

EDIT: Unless in India. Then definitely below cow.

because some of us navigate the world using reason and logic

ok, the guy's a schmuck. Does being a schmuck warrant statements like "he needs to be extradited, charged, &, preferably, hanged" or "Let us hope that Walter Palmer,who "bravely" killed a magnificent lion in Zimbabwe with a compound bow and arrows,meets a similar fate soon." or "I'd put a cross bow bolt through Walter Palmer then track him from 40 hrs, shoot him, behead him, skin him and sleep peacefully." Or all of the yelp reviews even though they never been to business? Or all the criticism being lashed out at Yelp now for deleting those reviews?(because clearly, them removing the reviews means they are in favor on the hunter's actions. Seriously, that is how people are now portraying it.)
Agreed the Internet can be crazy. Going to put the blame on dentist anyway.

This dentist probably burns them with a magnifying glass then has some kid mount the head as a little trophy.

Yes. He is an ass and deserving of the rebound.

You know its always going to be an over swinging pendulum. But better then no rebound at all.

Disregarding context is irrational and illogical.

Disregarding context is irrational and illogical.
:yes:

I truly feel sorry for you and hope you seek professional psychological help then. No shtick. I don't see how anyone can excuse some of the behavior that is being demonstrated on the internet against this guy.

I'm of the mindset that if you want to hunt, it should be for food. What this guy did is extremely stupid, because lions are listed as vulnerable on the list that keeps track of endangered species. Lions are much cooler alive, anyway. Take a photo or video, it'll last longer, and people won't get upset with your stupid behavior.

I'm of the mindset that if you want to hunt, it should be for food. What this guy did is extremely stupid, because lions are listed as vulnerable on the list that keeps track of endangered species. Lions are much cooler alive, anyway. Take a photo or video, it'll last longer, and people won't get upset with your stupid behavior.
oddly,I don't think anyone in here has come out in favor of the dentist hunting the lion.

You know its always going to be an over swinging pendulum. But better then no rebound at all.
I truly feel sorry for you and hope you seek professional psychological help then. No shtick. I don't see how anyone can excuse some of the behavior that is being demonstrated on the internet against this guy.

oddly,I don't think anyone in here has come out in favor of the dentist hunting the lion.
Just tossing my opinion in, that's all.

that wasn't in your original statement. but point remains, the behavior of a lot of the people is inexcusable. There are very few people I would say are deserving of death threats. Those would be people like Bin Laden (and let's be honest, those were rather hollow, because unlike Palmer, he didn't have his home address and place of work blasted all over the internet.). Palmer is no where near that category.

Its what the DENTIST caused. Nobody else. By being an ###, he caused this.

As someone said, he even tried to avoid legal responsibility in Africa. #### him.

I find the whole internet viral villain thing to be fascinating. 48 hours ago this guy was just a no name dentist living his life. Today he's one of the most hated men in the country and other parts of the world. It must be crazy going through that. The first few minutes you realize things have changed and then everything that comes after that. Wake up Monday and nobody knows who you are and by Tuesday night you're part of Jimmy Kimmel's monologue. Crazy. Right up there with the Asians in the library girl or the Chik-Fila drive thru guy. Life changed instantly.

If I am this guy I go completely into hiding for a few months. Some activist somewhere is thinking they could become a hero by taking this guy out. I'm not saying it will happen but would anyone be shocked if someone tried to kill this guy?

So, I guess I get labeled a freak if I value the life of that lion more than that poor excuse of a human? Human>Animal, above and beyond? We can systematically and brutally exploit other species, but that's alright, cause, hey, we're king of the mountain?

Ok, flame away...

As someone said, he even tried to avoid legal responsibility in Africa. #### him.
I dunno, call me crazy, but I think people are in control of their own actions.
That's a different subject.

People are responsible for themselves, And sometimes that responsibility gets rebound from others.

Do the internet guys who threaten someone deserve some of their own rebound? Sure.

But that asshole of a Dentist is getting his just deserts. He brought all of it on himself.

When you KILL (rape/torture/etc) something and do it in such a horrible fashion, you often get such deserved feedback.

So, I guess I get labeled a freak if I value the life of that lion more than that poor excuse of a human? Human>Animal, above and beyond? We can systematically and brutally exploit other species, but that's alright, cause, hey, we're king of the mountain?

Ok, flame away...
No.

This is The outrage of The moment and will die out soon, as with all of them. i give it 3-4 days till The next outrage. rinse repeat. its what this country does. maybe a girl falls in a well tomorrow?

$54600 to shoot the lion.Why didnt I become a dentist. Holy #### he has that much disposable money
This is one of the reasons I'm very uncomfortable showing any signs of wealth in my own personal life. People for whatever reason are VERY uncomfortable with the idea that their health care professionals are highly compensated, whereas they somehow don't give a crap if about CEO, big shot lawyer, engineer, actuary, etc. is highly compensated.

yeah, he's got that much disposable money.. and probably a lot more than that because he's been on multiple multiple of those hunts. He's probably spending that almost every single year.

But there's also a good chance he's a live at or above his means type as well.. as many doctors/dentists/lawyers are.

So I'll just continue to live low and then retire into wealth like a fart in the wind at 53... because no one sees the size of your investment accounts.. only the car you drive, the home you live in, and occasionally your vacations.. but i'd never talk about those at the office
You're doing it the right way.
I think it also has to do with being the person that directly charges you the money.

People hate paying someone they perceive as being rich.

And most dentists are a small business in that way.

For instance my sister is an anesthesiologist. The person getting the surgery probably doesn't even know her name and they don't have a conversation with them about how much this or that costs... whereas I have to manage questions about cost all the time when we discuss options...fix or pull, implant or bridge or nothing. same with pathologists/radiologists. anonymous.

If i could do it over again I'd be a doctor that was anonymous. Direct to public providers is a rough way to go
I'm all for people making as much money as they can, but dental offices also blur the line between health care provider and sales professional better than any business I can think of.

They should be the case study in every business class on rebooking, upselling, client retention, etc. Let me book you back in 6 months from now (before I've even finished this apointment), How about this cometic upgrade? Hey look at this new $200 toothbrush... from a business perspective, I'm envious but can see why people would begrudge handing over so much money to this particular profession, as opposed to a more specialized doctor.

People are responsible for themselves, And sometimes that responsibility gets rebound from others.

Do the internet guys who threaten someone deserve some of their own rebound? Sure.

But that asshole of a Dentist is getting his just deserts. He brought all of it on himself.

When you KILL (rape/torture/etc) something and do it in such a horrible fashion, you often get such deserved feedback.
Nope sorry. I believe one of the key things to being better than someone is acting better than them. You start talking about doing the same thing that the person (even if you ultimately don't go through with it) you've lowered yourself to that person's level and are no better than they are.

Nope sorry. I believe one of the key things to being better than someone is acting better than them. You start talking about doing the same thing that the person (even if you ultimately don't go through with it) you've lowered yourself to that person's level and are no better than they are.
Who said these guys posting on the net were better then him?

If Subway is smart they send Jared to Africa and get video of him protecting other lions, maybe taking a bullet for one of them. "Jared is able to protect these glorious animals because he's in shape thanks to all the Subway he eats." He goes from pedo to hero almost instantly. Back on tv by Friday pitching those crappy subs. Maybe have a commercial where he's feeding a cold-cut trio to a lion while petting him.

The people on the internet. And really, people like you that are pinning their actions on someone else.

LINK
Yeah, but nobody wants to see lions get shot.

I hunt, fowl and herbivores only, and only if they are plentiful (read not endangered or threatened species). I do so for food. This is not the only way I obtain food, but it is one way.

I also enjoy rare, exotic, and predatory animals in their natural habitat. I search these out. When I do it is with a camera only. I like that there are wild and dangerous things in the wild, and I do not want to reduce that population one iota.

I find the whole internet viral villain thing to be fascinating. 48 hours ago this guy was just a no name dentist living his life. Today he's one of the most hated men in the country and other parts of the world. It must be crazy going through that. The first few minutes you realize things have changed and then everything that comes after that. Wake up Monday and nobody knows who you are and by Tuesday night you're part of Jimmy Kimmel's monologue. Crazy. Right up there with the Asians in the library girl or the Chik-Fila drive thru guy. Life changed instantly.
Great article on the bolded. Here's a passage...

In the early days of Twitter, I was a keen shamer. When newspaper columnists made racist or homophobic statements, I joined the pile-on. Sometimes I led it. The journalist A. A. Gill once wrote a column about shooting a baboon on safari in Tanzania: “I’m told they can be tricky to shoot. They run up trees, hang on for grim life. They die hard, baboons. But not this one. A soft-nosed .357 blew his lungs out.” Gill did the deed because he “wanted to get a sense of what it might be like to kill someone, a stranger.”

I was among the first people to alert social media. (This was because Gill always gave my television documentaries bad reviews, so I tended to keep a vigilant eye on things he could be got for.) Within minutes, it was everywhere. Amid the hundreds of congratulatory messages I received, one stuck out: “Were you a bully at school?”

Still, in those early days, the collective fury felt righteous, powerful and effective. It felt as if hierarchies were being dismantled, as if justice were being democratized. As time passed, though, I watched these shame campaigns multiply, to the point that they targeted not just powerful institutions and public figures but really anyone perceived to have done something offensive. I also began to marvel at the disconnect between the severity of the crime and the gleeful savagery of the punishment. It almost felt as if shamings were now happening for their own sake, as if they were following a script.

Eventually I started to wonder about the recipients of our shamings, the real humans who were the virtual targets of these campaigns. So for the past two years, I’ve been interviewing individuals like Justine Sacco: everyday people pilloried brutally, most often for posting some poorly considered joke on social media. Whenever possible, I have met them in person, to truly grasp the emotional toll at the other end of our screens. The people I met were mostly unemployed, fired for their transgressions, and they seemed broken somehow — deeply confused and traumatized.

I really have no problem with the bolded. You act outside of the societal norms in this day and age, and you will get called out on it. If you don't like the repercussions, don't go shooting vulnerable species.

I really have no problem with the bolded. You act outside of the societal norms in this day and age, and you will get called out on it. If you don't like the repercussions, don't go shooting vulnerable species.
:yes:

The people on the internet. And really, people like you that are pinning their actions on someone else.
Nobody ever said that. Except you... talking about your beliefs :P .

Users who are viewing this thread