What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dr. Strangecap or How I Learned to Stop Worrying (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
different perspective on the flip side & silver lining of a seemingly upside down world of a capless league, from the always interesting & compelling POV of rafael vela's cowboys blog... just scroll down to section titled... dr. tradelove (thread title inspiration)...

http://blog.theboys.com/

BTW, another section on VY & wonderlic-gate had some sensible rejoinders to the knee-jerk reactionaries who want to throw his body of work in the dumpster (in this context the onion sendup in the different perspective on VY wonderlic thread elsewhere in shark pool is hilarious) based on a classroom test (marino got a 14, for context that there may not be a powerful correlation & linkage between classroom tests & on-field capability/performance... drew henson got a 42, for instance, so evidently tests such as these aren't necessarily that useful a "predictive" tool in EITHER direction)... maybe other just as meaningful (or meaningless) inferences might be drawn from connection of shoe size to NFL success or lack thereof...

in vela's opinion piece is a link to an espn pg 2 article in which the guy who wrote tipping point was interviewed... he was flogging his new book blink, about how some of the best decisions are made underneath our conscious awareness... it seemed germane (to me anyway) on the issue of VYs draft grade & projected pro potential... i never read the tipping point, but am interested in blink based on this...

seacrest out

Last edited by a moderator:
No cap? The dude that owns my Seahawks is one of the richest men on the planet. I can deal with that.

No cap? The dude that owns my Seahawks is one of the richest men on the planet. I can deal with that.
All NFL owners are rich, and the players would actually have to live in Seattle.Not sure that's going to be the hot destination.

I'm thinking a no-cap nfl will destroy itself within 5 years. Its F'in greed!!!!! They all are making money!! The don't watch out they are going to screw up a very good thing.

At least the Cowboys are rich!!!!!!

I'm thinking a no-cap nfl will destroy itself within 5 years. Its F'in greed!!!!! They all are making money!! The don't watch out they are going to screw up a very good thing.

Geez, the NFL was great before the cap too. This isn't going to be the end of anything.

I'm thinking a no-cap nfl will destroy itself within 5 years.  Its F'in greed!!!!!  They all are making money!!  The don't watch out they are going to screw up a very good thing.

Geez, the NFL was great before the cap too. This isn't going to be the end of anything.
The same 5 teams also played in 75% of them.That's not fun at all unless you're a fan of one of those 5 teams.

I'm just glad they extended the start of free agency an extra 3 days. There's a small light at the end of this tunnel.... which is better than a brick wall.

All NFL owners are rich, and the players would actually have to live in Seattle.Not sure that's going to be the hot destination.
I'm not and i own the Packers.

I'm thinking a no-cap nfl will destroy itself within 5 years.  Its F'in greed!!!!!  They all are making money!!  The don't watch out they are going to screw up a very good thing.

Another result of a capless NFL would be teams looking for the cities willing to give them the premo deals. I'm not sure the league would have as much pull in a free market as they seem to have now.no more football in Green Bay

Players go where the money is. They'll live and play in Green Bay now, why wouldn't they live in Seattle for more?

Not sure you know what you're talking about...Positives:* Few locations in NFL cities can offer the ocean, forest, wildlife, mountain ranges, big city atmosphere, and a unique local culture all nearby.* If the big city isn't for you, there are definitely locations nearby with the small town feel.* Mecca for the technology industry (Microsoft, Intel, Boeing, etc).* Multi-cultural draw with the arts (music and theatre) and dining locations.* Major tourist draws such as Mount Raineir, Pike Place Market, Monorail, and the Space Needle. Lesser known draws such as Seattle Science Center, Northwest Trek, Point Defiance Zoo, and things like the Mystery Dinner Train (take your loved one on a train ride that provides a moving/scenic dinner, participate in a murder mystery role play with your fellow dinner attendees, and a trip to a winery).* Some people enjoy fairly consistant weather (50 to 80 degrees, with a few weeks into the 30s and 100s). * Doesn't everyone read books, drink foofoo coffee, take oceanside walks, and believe in preserving the snowy owl? For better or worse, Seattle doesn't come across as a blue collar town.. even though there are plenty of mills, fisheries, and farming communities.* Like the colors green and blue (like the Seahawk's logo)? They represent the forest and the ocean. It's one of the prettiest locations in the country to live. The perks of living between 2 major mountain ranges (Olympics and the Cascades), along with the Puget Sound. Negatives:* Easily in the top 5 in the USA for cost of living. Need to be making the big bucks to live near Seattle/Redmond, which isn't tough for the stars, but the lesser players it can bite into their league minimum salaries. * Has the image of raining all the time... can be overcast alot, but places like the NorthEast, Midwest, and northern California actually get more rainfall per year. Just keep telling people it rains alot... it keeps the naive away.* Can be considered over-crowded since there is a strip of continuous city landscape along the coast from the Canadian border (Bellingham) all the way down to slightly south of Olympia (look at a map). But the big city area is thin and spread out north to south, not east to west. * Commuting distances and driving can suck depending upon work/home locations.* The occasional minor earthquake every 5-7 years. But they doesn't occur as often as hurricanes, snow storms, or tornadoes for other locations in the country. * Won't find suntanned, bikini clad, summer break getaways here. Those are only cool draws for the early 20 year olds (and guys that still wish they were in their early 20s).------------------------------------------Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic....

If your city is really that great it doesn't need a sales pitch.
Even places like Miami or San Diego (lived there) have their sales pitches.
Seattle is a nice city, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Miami or SD. There is a reason it has the highest suicide rate in the nation... the weather is God-awful depressing (albeit it is very beautiful for about two months). And I don't know where on earth you are coming up with top 5 most expensive places to live. It's not even in the top 10 (I guess that's a positive).Players go where the money is though and Seattle is nice enough. I don't think we go uncapped though. The NFL has a good thing going. It doesn't make sense to mix it up.

There's not going to be an uncapped year...this is like debating what the world would be like if the seas dried up or if $1,000 bills started to grow on trees.

There's not going to be an uncapped year...this is like debating what the world would be like if the seas dried up or if $1,000 bills started to grow on trees.
So that $1000 bill tree I bought is a fraud?Man I am cheesed now...

There really is no debate. The small market teams would only have $100 trees and would not be able to compete.

its slightly more likely than those scenarios...odd that just about every major sports news outlet devoted so much time in recent days to the potential ramifications of something as likely to occur as santa clause conquering martians... :)

no more football in Green Bay
:no:

Seattle is a nice city, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Miami or SD. There is a reason it has the highest suicide rate in the nation... the weather is God-awful depressing (albeit it is very beautiful for about two months). And I don't know where on earth you are coming up with top 5 most expensive places to live. It's not even in the top 10 (I guess that's a positive).

Players go where the money is though and Seattle is nice enough. I don't think we go uncapped though. The NFL has a good thing going. It doesn't make sense to mix it up.
You must provide some links/evidence/proof when making statements like that.Hyperbole like that won't earn you any respect.

Seattle is a nice city, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Miami or SD.  There is a reason it has the highest suicide rate in the nation... the weather is God-awful depressing (albeit it is very beautiful for about two months).  And I don't know where on earth you are coming up with top 5 most expensive places to live.  It's not even in the top 10 (I guess that's a positive).

Players go where the money is though and Seattle is nice enough.  I don't think we go uncapped though.  The NFL has a good thing going.  It doesn't make sense to mix it up.
You must provide some links/evidence/proof when making statements like that.Hyperbole like that won't earn you any respect.
It looks like Seattle is off the hook, but another Washington city isn'thttp://www.citymayors.com/features/us_stresscities.html

I'm sorry but having no draft will single handedly kill the NFL. The draft has become one of the most popular things about the game and has always been the best way to retool a team. Stripping that will lead to dominance of only certain teams and lead to the destruction of the NFL.

its slightly more likely than those scenarios...odd that just about every major sports news outlet devoted so much time in recent days to the potential ramifications of something as likely to occur as santa clause conquering martians... :)
This already occurred...http://imdb.com/title/tt0058548/

Please discuss your plan for this. :thumbup:

Seattle is a nice city, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Miami or SD.  There is a reason it has the highest suicide rate in the nation... the weather is God-awful depressing (albeit it is very beautiful for about two months).  And I don't know where on earth you are coming up with top 5 most expensive places to live.  It's not even in the top 10 (I guess that's a positive).

Players go where the money is though and Seattle is nice enough.  I don't think we go uncapped though.  The NFL has a good thing going.  It doesn't make sense to mix it up.
It looks like Seattle is off the hook, but another Washington city isn'thttp://www.citymayors.com/features/us_stresscities.html
Seattle was ranked 11th, but I was wrong about the suicide rates. They are high, but they are not number one. In fact, it looks like they have been declining so I apologize to all the people of Seattle here. I don't know where I picked that up. I actually like Seattle as a city (although I do find the weather depressing).

An uncapped NFL would be a disaster. The Steelers would turn into the Pirates and I wouldn't have a single sport worth watching.

Users who are viewing this thread