What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drafting Question (1 Viewer)

When drafting with 16-teams, does that give you a false sense of value in smaller leagues (such as 1

• 16 teams don't mess me up, I can adapt just fine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Smaller drafts are affected. All my drafts look better than 16-teamers, but the competition has bet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
For those of us that are in Survivor Leagues, drafting here helps to gauge value for the coming season.

Also, we sort of can gauge where players will fall and prep us for other leagues.

Now, most other leagues are 12-teamers, so my question is this - Do you get a false sense of having a much better team than you may have, comparatively, because you draft in a 12-team league than a 16?

That is to say, when you draft with only 11 other owners, your team will (of course) look better. But do you get a false sense of having a great team because of the reduced number of teams?

How does drafting in 16-, 12- and other size leagues affect each other for you?

Not so much a false sense of how good my team is, but positional values can be different.

In WSL, I personally value QBs more than usual, because of the 16 teams vs. 12, especially the QB2's.

RBs aren't affected that much, WRs are, but not as much as QBs.

Fantasy player values are inherently attached to the number of teams in a given league. I would assume that in determining a players value most of us would use a formula that included the number of teams within a league. Values will, without a doubt, be different for a 12-team league vs. a 16-team league. A knowledgable FF'er will be aware of this when playing/participating/drafting in different size leagues.

I've found that player values are not interchangable between different size leagues and I refrain from comparing them to any great extent. The FBG mocks are a good way to hone my skills (if I have any at all) and to get a feel for what other FF'ers think about certain players (in relation to those player's peers). This is all relative to timing though. The WSL's are an early indication of how things are looking. Later, the SSL's and the MBSL's give a much truer indication due to the fact that they are held much closer to the start of the NFL's regular season.

I do not get a "false sense" when drafting in 12-teamers. I've already adjusted my player values accordingly, prior to the draft.

Fantasy player values are inherently attached to the number of teams in a given league. I would assume that in determining a players value most of us would use a formula that included the number of teams within a league. Values will, without a doubt, be different for a 12-team league vs. a 16-team league. A knowledgable FF'er will be aware of this when playing/participating/drafting in different size leagues. I've found that player values are not interchangable between different size leagues and I refrain from comparing them to any great extent. The FBG mocks are a good way to hone my skills (if I have any at all) and to get a feel for what other FF'ers think about certain players (in relation to those player's peers). This is all relative to timing though. The WSL's are an early indication of how things are looking. Later, the SSL's and the MBSL's give a much truer indication due to the fact that they are held much closer to the start of the NFL's regular season.I do not get a "false sense" when drafting in 12-teamers. I've already adjusted my player values accordingly, prior to the draft.
I think you're missing the point - and if I stated the question wrong, my bad.What I'm trying to gauge here is that if you like your team in a 16-team draft, you'll LOVE your team in a smaller league. That's human nature - you'll feel like you're loaded with talent and that you have tons of players "falling to you".That's what I was trying to say.Now how you adjust your own self for smaller leagues, that's an interesting question.

What I'm trying to gauge here is that if you like your team in a 16-team draft, you'll LOVE your team in a smaller league. That's human nature - you'll feel like you're loaded with talent and that you have tons of players "falling to you".That's what I was trying to say.
I would agree with the "players falling to me" aspect. Seems to reason with 4 less drafters.

I use the SLs to gage opinions on players at the same positions.

I don't feel stacked because I take into account where the tiers are and my comparison to the other teams.

I find myself asking how certain am I that TO was the better choice than Wayne and similar questions more often in 12 eamers.

In a 16 team, survivor, best ball, I'm more concerned that I filled the holes on my teams to avoid 0's.

The 16 team drafts give me an idea of how people are feeling about guys and why. It helps me adjust my draft rankings and not hesitate on a waiver decision in a smaller league because I have some info on them.

The dominator helps adjust comparisons between positions as league size, scoring and starter/benches vary.

While I do generally feel that I've "stolen" more players in 12 teamers, I generally attribute that more to my level of competition more then the league size. Most of my 12 teamers are against far weaker competitors then the typical survivor league 16 team draft.

I answered that it doesn't affect me, because I don't think it does FOR THE REASONS YOU HAVE NOTED. IE: I use these drafts to get a better feel for player values relative to their peers, but obviously there is a huge difference in positional importance based on league rules and size.

I suspect most of our survivor league players will have similar thoughts....

My $ leagues are 10 team - so vs. the 16 team survivor stuff - yeah, my team looks stacked
While true, I've played in enough different leagues where I no longer compare my teams.I've played in 24 team leagues, 20, 16, 14, 12, 8 and even a 4 team league - BTW, the 4 team league wasn't much fun.

Users who are viewing this thread