What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees' scoring (1 Viewer)

Jello_Biafra

Footballguy
Just curious how your league is handling Brees' -26 yard run for a safety. I'm arguing that Brees should receive -2.6 points for the run, but the commish in my league is saying we don't have negative scoring. This makes no sense to me. If Brees had 30 yards rushing, then got -26 on his next run, he would have +4 yards, which the commish does not argue with. But he's saying that since he had no positive yardage, he gets a 0 for his rushing. Please tell me how your league scores this play, and if I'm out of line in asking that he have the points deducted from his score.

Just curious how your league is handling Brees' -26 yard run for a safety. I'm arguing that Brees should receive -2.6 points for the run, but the commish in my league is saying we don't have negative scoring. This makes no sense to me.
What makes no sense is that you didn't bring this up before the season started, or that you didn't bring it up after DOZENS of players had negative rushing yards after the first couple of weeks.Stop whining.

Brees, Drew NOS QB

vs Chargers Sun 1:00 p.m. ET

-2.60 -26 Rushing Yards

0.00 0 Interceptions

0.20 1 Rushes

-1.00 1 Fumbles

0.00 0 Fumbles Lost (to Opponent)

13.56 339 Passing Yards

3.00 339 Passing Yards

6.00 12 yd Passing TD

6.00 30 yd Passing TD

6.00 1 yd Passing TD

6.00 30 Completions

2.00 30 Completions

0.00 0 Sacks Against

39.16 Subtotal

if theres no negatives in the rules before the season... then it shouldn't count. Theres has been plenty of QBs that had Neg runs this season... just not for -26 yds

Just curious how your league is handling Brees' -26 yard run for a safety. I'm arguing that Brees should receive -2.6 points for the run, but the commish in my league is saying we don't have negative scoring. This makes no sense to me. If Brees had 30 yards rushing, then got -26 on his next run, he would have +4 yards, which the commish does not argue with. But he's saying that since he had no positive yardage, he gets a 0 for his rushing. Please tell me how your league scores this play, and if I'm out of line in asking that he have the points deducted from his score.
rtsports doesnt calculate it as negative pts in our league. Its always been like that.

Just curious how your league is handling Brees' -26 yard run for a safety. I'm arguing that Brees should receive -2.6 points for the run, but the commish in my league is saying we don't have negative scoring. This makes no sense to me.
What makes no sense is that you didn't bring this up before the season started, or that you didn't bring it up after DOZENS of players had negative rushing yards after the first couple of weeks.Stop whining.
We voted on just about every rule you could think of. I just assumed that if a player ended up with negative yardage, they would score negative points. If Jacobs has 20 yards he has 2 points. If he loses 5 on his next carry, he goes down to 1.5. Based on that, negative plays count. I wish you could point me to the dozens of players that had negative rushing yards the first couple of weeks, so I can see how they were scored. I'm in 6 leagues, and none of them say anything about negative yardage in the rules, yet Brees lost 2.6 in those leagues. BTW, if you think that this is whining, and you don't like my post, perhaps you should ignore it or just shut the #### up. Either way works for me.

rtsports doesnt calculate it as negative pts in our league. Its always been like that.
This league is on MFL, and is the only one of the 3 I play there that doesn't deduct the pts.

We voted on just about every rule you could think of. I just assumed that if a player ended up with negative yardage, they would score negative points.
Brees had -2 yards rushing in Week 1 and -1 yards rushing in Week 4. Why didn't you bring it up then?

We voted on just about every rule you could think of. I just assumed that if a player ended up with negative yardage, they would score negative points.
Brees had -2 yards rushing in Week 1 and -1 yards rushing in Week 4. Why didn't you bring it up then?
I didn't play against him so I didn't notice. Even in the leagues that I have Brees, I didn't notice that, but I did lose points this week and have no complaints about it. Thanks for the info, I'll check how week 1 and 4 were scored.

If negative scoring isn't in your rules then don't complain. Address it next season.

Sorry you lost by such a slim margin.

Your commissioner is misguided and should have addressed this the 1st time it happened. Negative points are the default - every league I've ever been in would give Brees negative points (like my current league where I own Brees, for example).

Obviously you should alter the rulebook next year to make this explicit, but it's a really obvious decision, UNLESS the rulebook explicitly says that a player can't have negative points.

Last edited by a moderator:
0If negative scoring isn't in your rules then don't complain. Address it next season.Sorry you lost by such a slim margin.
Actually, I didn't lose yet. Thanks for the replies. I rechecked the scoring for this league and saw that players that had negatives in the past, did not lose points, so I see where I was wrong. I will definitely bring it up in the offseason, as I think if it's in the boxscore, it should be counted in a players totals. Thanks again for the people that set me straight.

Your commissioner is misguided and should have addressed this the 1st time it happened. Negative points are the default - every league I've ever been in would give Brees negative points (like my current league where I own Brees, for example). Obviously you should alter the rulebook next year to make this explicit, but it's a really obvious decision, UNLESS the rulebook explicitly says that a player can't have negative points.
The rules say nothing of the sort, and that was my argument. It doesn't matter now, because if it didn't count for a player with -2, it shouldn't count for a player with -26. Obviously, it should be changed for next year.

Your commissioner is misguided and should have addressed this the 1st time it happened. Negative points are the default - every league I've ever been in would give Brees negative points (like my current league where I own Brees, for example). Obviously you should alter the rulebook next year to make this explicit, but it's a really obvious decision, UNLESS the rulebook explicitly says that a player can't have negative points.
Every league I've been in is exactly the opposite. Our rules state nothing at all about negative points, but the scoring for negative rushing yards or passing yards does not go under zero. I think the rule book should have to state that scoring can go negative, not the other way around.Just looked again, our scoring is set for 0 to 999 yards, not -999 to 999. So if his is the same, why should scoring under 0 count? Scoring never sees that value.

I agree with two_dollars that the default setup is for negative total yardage to result in 0 points, not negative points.

Also, to the OP, the issue in this case is not accurately characterized as "negative plays count for player X so they should count for player Y" as you wrote. The issue is do negative total yardage figures produce negative fantasy points.

Many people have seen games go from wins to losses (or ties) based on QB kneeldowns when the total rushing yardage goes from 21 to 19 yards. The difference between this scenario and the Brees run is that the cumulative rushing yardage total was still positive after the negative play.

Wow, my league is different from almost everyone's then, as Brees did lose 2 points for his -26 yard run today in my league.

Wow, my league is different from almost everyone's then, as Brees did lose 2 points for his -26 yard run today in my league.
Ditto. Which I'm fine with.Hypothetical: if your league subtracts points for fumbles or INTs, should a player be allowed to have negative points? Let's say that Brad Johnson throws an INT on his first play (worth -2 points) and gets pulled from the game immediately. Should he have 0 points or -2 points? In my league he would have -2 points. Not sure if our rulebook states this explicitly, but it was just taken as a given. We allow negative points on a play, so why wouldn't we allow negative points for an entire game?

Your commissioner means your league doesn't allow for sub-zero scoring. Of course you can add and subtract yardage. That should be something you've understood since 1st grade when you first start simple math. Once his yardage falls below 0, the lowest you can score in your league is 0.

Ditto. Which I'm fine with.Hypothetical: if your league subtracts points for fumbles or INTs, should a player be allowed to have negative points? Let's say that Brad Johnson throws an INT on his first play (worth -2 points) and gets pulled from the game immediately. Should he have 0 points or -2 points? In my league he would have -2 points. Not sure if our rulebook states this explicitly, but it was just taken as a given. We allow negative points on a play, so why wouldn't we allow negative points for an entire game?
Last week Hilliard had -1.10 as his score. He fumbled on his only catch and those were his only stats.

Your commissioner means your league doesn't allow for sub-zero scoring. Of course you can add and subtract yardage. That should be something you've understood since 1st grade when you first start simple math. Once his yardage falls below 0, the lowest you can score in your league is 0.
We learned negative numbers in math, as well.

In one of my leagues, McClain for Baltimore got -2 points for the game in week 6 because of a fumble and no yards. We don't have fractional points, so there's not much history for people getting at least -10 yards which would be -1 point, but Brees is not being docked for those -2 points today in my league, even though it seems we allow negative points.

I lost to the Brees owner 121-120...

In my experience, if your league didn't specifically account for it, then you should defer to the ruling of your website or service.

Jello_Biafra said:
[scooter] said:
Jello_Biafra said:
We voted on just about every rule you could think of. I just
that if a player ended up with negative yardage, they would score negative points. If Jacobs has 20 yards he has 2 points. If he loses 5 on his next carry, he goes down to 1.5. Based on that, negative plays count. I wish you could point me to the dozens of players that had negative rushing yards the first couple of weeks, so I can see how they were scored. I'm in 6 leagues, and none of them say anything about negative yardage in the rules, yet Brees lost 2.6 in those leagues. BTW, if you think that this is whining, and you don't like my post, perhaps you should ignore it or just shut the #### up. Either way works for me.

Careful what you wish for. You may holler and get the fellas to vote in negative yards---and your QB may bite you in the ###.

Look, if zero is the baseline, and it's the same for everyone, what's the big deal? In my league, E-James ran for 17 and got a (-1) for his day, thanks

to a fumble. But that--and an INT are the only way we go the other side of zero.

Like they say in Nascar, it's just one of them racin' deals.

Jello_Biafra said:
Michael Fox said:
lion_crazz said:
Last week Hilliard had -1.10 as his score. He fumbled on his only catch and those were his only stats.
Yeah, he's on my roster. Wait, so did he score -1.10 in your league? If so, then your commish is being totally inconsistent. :rolleyes:

[scooter] said:
Jello_Biafra said:
:rolleyes:

Jello_Biafra said:
Michael Fox said:
lion_crazz said:
Yeah, he's on my roster. Wait, so did he score -1.10 in your league? If so, then your commish is being totally inconsistent. :confused:
Thats not inconsistent. The commish is saying that you can't get negative for yardage, not that you can't have negative overall scoring. That should be obvious considering Brees still wouldn't have negative overall scoring.

My league allows negative points for turnovers but NOT for negative yards. Which does seem kind of odd. But I checked our league software and I don't think it's even capable of calculating negative points for yardage. :goodposting:

Jello_Biafra said:
[scooter] said:
Jello_Biafra said:
We voted on just about every rule you could think of. I just assumed that if a player ended up with negative yardage, they would score negative points. If Jacobs has 20 yards he has 2 points. If he loses 5 on his next carry, he goes down to 1.5. Based on that, negative plays count. I wish you could point me to the dozens of players that had negative rushing yards the first couple of weeks, so I can see how they were scored. I'm in 6 leagues, and none of them say anything about negative yardage in the rules, yet Brees lost 2.6 in those leagues. BTW, if you think that this is whining, and you don't like my post, perhaps you should ignore it or just shut the #### up. Either way works for me.
You're looking at that the way you want to in order to make your point against Brees. Its the final total yards ruhing Jacobs ends up with that defines his fantasy points. With "live" scoring now, yes you see his points go backwards but in reality his fantasy points are based on what he ends up with. It isn't how hge got there its just where he ends up.If you're league does not subtract points for negative yards than your commish is right. Brees gets zero points for his rushing stats since he didn't "earn" any.

Jello_Biafra said:
[scooter] said:
Jello_Biafra said:
You're looking at that the way you want to in order to make your point against Brees. Its the final total yards ruhing Jacobs ends up with that defines his fantasy points. With "live" scoring now, yes you see his points go backwards but in reality his fantasy points are based on what he ends up with. It isn't how hge got there its just where he ends up.If you're league does not subtract points for negative yards than your commish is right. Brees gets zero points for his rushing stats since he didn't "earn" any.
He isn't looking at it in his way to make his point. He is just saying that if you are going to count negative yardage as negative points for players who also had enough positive yardage to offset this negative yardage scoring and end with a positive total .... then you should also count it for players who end up with a negative total (and not instead make it so that these players cannot get less than zero pts for their yardage).Like many have said already, this needs to be specifically addressed by the league rules. IMO, it has NOTHING to do with your website (except for the very limited cases these days in which the website cannot handle final negative scoring...MFL handles it just fine if programmed correctly). Since we are through week 8 of the NFL season already, if it is not specifically addressed by the league rules, then your league should make note to change it for NEXT season and you should just defer to how your website has been calculating it to date for the remainder of this season.

I couldn't agree more that a -5 yd run in the middle of Jacobs' game should count exactly the same as a -26 yd run by Brees (regardless of whether or not each player finished with a positive or negative rushing total). I just don't think now is the time to make such a change if you haven't done it that way up to this point of the season.

Jello_Biafra said:
Of course he should get -2.6 pts. Pretty obvious to me. Like any other position, if a player runs for 30 yards, and then gets minus on another play, his total includes the minus yardage. My league on ESPN does it this way, and I wouldn't be happy if I was in a league that didn't. Pretty gay.

Jello_Biafra said:
Your commish is saying that you don't have negative scoring?Is this correct?If it is not true that your league does not have negative scoring, then your commish should eb called out.If it is true that your league does not have negative scoring, then your league does not have negative scoring, and your characterization of the rule as "commish is saying" is disingenuous.Don't forget to pack a wife.

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:
I'd like to see the play. Was it a bad snap?
It was an intentional safety. You can see it here:http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf8c01

Seems like a pretty stupid call to me. If Rivers hits that Hail Mary at the end, it's immediately added to Sean Payton's growing collection of idiotic game-costing play calls.
Agreed. They were trying to avoid a blocked punt because they just signed a new punter. But in doing so they left themselves more vulnerable to a kick return TD or a hail-mary TD.

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:
It was an intentional safety. You can see it here:http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf8c01

Seems like a pretty stupid call to me. If Rivers hits that Hail Mary at the end, it's immediately added to Sean Payton's growing collection of idiotic game-costing play calls.
Agreed. They were trying to avoid a blocked punt because they just signed a new punter. But in doing so they left themselves more vulnerable to a kick return TD or a hail-mary TD.
And a TD which would have beat them rather than simply tie them.

I use RTsports and it calculates negative yards. Its probably the way your commish set up the league, not the website.

Often QBs don't get negative yards due to kneel downs. Yeah the Brees play might irk you but what if you lost some every week your QB won?

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:

How are they more vulnerable to these things now?

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:

1. no longer have the option of punting out of bounds (it's a 5-yard penalty on a safety kick)2. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = more vulnerable to kick return TD

3. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = lower likelihood of touchback on kick

4. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = opponent has better field position = shorter distance for hail mary

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:

1. no longer have the option of punting out of bounds (it's a 5-yard penalty on a safety kick)2. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = more vulnerable to kick return TD

3. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = lower likelihood of touchback on kick

4. kicking from the 20 instead of the 50 = opponent has better field position = shorter distance for hail mary
and if said hail mary is completed, you now lose instead of being tied.

Think about how funny it would have been if Brees tripped on the way back to the end zone and they turned the ball over at the 10 or so.

Bri said:
Often QBs don't get negative yards due to kneel downs. Yeah the Brees play might irk you but what if you lost some every week your QB won?
Say what? Every league I have been in during the past 10 years, QB's get negative yards for kneel downs. Why wouldn't they? It's an official play during the game, and they are the ball carrier.

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:

Why would they kick off from the 50? They were on the 26 when they took the safety so the punter would have been on the 11 having to get the kick off under pressure. Instead he is kicking from the 20 with no pressure. Points 2-4 move to the other side of the fulcrum. In addition to the better field position, free release of punt coverage, and no rush (better enabling a directional kick), they also were able to take time off the clock. All of these things make them less vulnerable to a hail mary.

Team ROFLCOPTERS said:

Why would they kick off from the 50? They were on the 26 when they took the safety so the punter would have been on the 11 having to get the kick off under pressure. Instead he is kicking from the 20 with no pressure. Points 2-4 move to the other side of the fulcrum. In addition to the better field position, free release of punt coverage, and no rush (better enabling a directional kick), they also were able to take time off the clock. All of these things make them less vulnerable to a hail mary.
Sorry, my mistake on the 50 part. But the bottom line is that they were forced to kick inbounds after the safety, which gave the Chargers a free runback.Also, punt coverage is easier than kickoff coverage, so it was more likely that they'd score on the safety kickoff.

While, initially, I agreed with those sentiments. In reality, it did end up being quite a dangerous sequence of events.

If anything, I thought he should run as far to the sidelines as possible to take the maximum amount of time off the clock. Then, possibly, you would've been able to only have to stop them on the kick.

In all my leagues for years you get negative points for negative yards..Peyton Manning is good at that, he doen't rush a lot but does kneel down at end of games a lot (when winning of course)..lost at least two games over the years due to his habit.

Had Brees this week 8 got -2.60 points for that -26 rush yards..still won though. If its written in the rules have to go by it..as for this OP problem..the commish told him its not a written rule in his league. Case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread