What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DSLR Camera Guys (1 Viewer)

Anybody have the Nikon 18-300 that came out last year? http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-300mm-3-5-6-3G-AF-S-Nikkor/dp/B00JKUPRF4/

If so, worth the $900? Thinking of getting this for an upcoming trip to Alaska. I've got an 18-55 and 55-200 for zoom. This one seems to have good reviews, and thinking it would be nice not to have to switch lenses between glaciers/wildlife. Reviews indicate relatively light too.

ETA: Relatedly, for anyone who has done an Alaskan cruise, am I right that having a zoom with a good range is the most critical lens to have? I prefer a fixed lens, but my assumption is that flexibility will be more important.
Bumping this question in case my issue was posting it on a Sunday.
I bought almost the exact same lens (Nikon 18-300 3.5-5.6G-AF-S) about 3-4 weeks ago. I have used it only a few times, but so far, I am a fan. It is noticeably heavier than the 55-300, but I will take that trade-off versus having to change lenses periodically. I bought it mainly for the latter reason; I have missed countless photos due to not having the correct lens on the body, it seems.

The pictures themselves (again, only a limited amount so far) look good, both at the long end and short end of the lens. There really is no "lens creep" so far with this lens either.

YMMV. I am really only a vacation/leisure photographer, so if you're looking for a recommendation from someone with a lot of photo experience, that's not me.

Good luck.
I bought the 6.3 version (which is about 10oz lighter from what I understand). Really, really like it. It's barely larger than my older 18-200.

Great vacation / walking around lens.

I've been reading this thread from the beginning and it's been very informative. I've decided on the Nikon D7100 and a lot of questions have been answered here, especially on the many lens choices available.

:thumbup:
Good choice. Bought the same last year and really like it.

Bucky86 said:
I'm seriously considering the d3300. Anyone have this? Which lenses? I was thinking about a 35mm and one telephoto lense.
We're at the same point I think in buying a camera, and as much as this thread has helped, I'm still not sure. Are you buying it for any special event coming up? If I was buying this camera with nothing planned, I would probably walk around with a 35mm or 50mm prime for a few months. I picture it being a fun lens to have and one that will really help you learn the camera and composition.

I'm buying this camera mostly because we are going away in August to Victoria, BC and then up into Tofino and then Sonora. On a helicopter back to Vancouver. There was no way my POS point and shoot will cut this one. I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/1.8. Is this a good nighttime walking around lens or is the 50mm better?

I was set to get that and the 55-200 VRII but now I'm thinking the 200mm isn't enough. I'm imagining some incredible bald eagle and grizzly bear shots. So I should just go with the 18-300, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucky86 said:
I'm seriously considering the d3300. Anyone have this? Which lenses? I was thinking about a 35mm and one telephoto lense.
We're at the same point I think in buying a camera, and as much as this thread has helped, I'm still not sure. Are you buying it for any special event coming up? If I was buying this camera with nothing planned, I would probably walk around with a 35mm or 50mm prime for a few months. I picture it being a fun lens to have and one that will really help you learn the camera and composition.

I'm buying this camera mostly because we are going away in August to Victoria, BC and then up into Tofino and then Sonora. On a helicopter back to Vancouver. There was no way my POS point and shoot will cut this one. I was thinking of getting the 35mm f/1.8. Is this a good nighttime walking around lens or is the 50mm better?

I was set to get that and the 55-200 VRII but now I'm thinking the 200mm isn't enough. I'm imagining some incredible bald eagle and grizzly bear shots. So I should just go with the 18-300, right?
Nothing special in the immediate future. I am going to Costa Rica next February, but wanted to get some serious practice in beforehand. I've been reading this guys blog(which might have already been linked) and he seems to point towards the 35mm in most cases as many telephoto lenses start at 55, so it's pretty much double dipping in that sense if you go with a 50-200mm. He does talk up the 18-300 quite a bit however....
Bucky86 said:

Nothing special in the immediate future. I am going to Costa Rica next February, but wanted to get some serious practice in beforehand. I've been reading this guys blog(which might have already been linked) and he seems to point towards the 35mm in most cases as many telephoto lenses start at 55, so it's pretty much double dipping in that sense if you go with a 50-200mm. He does talk up the 18-300 quite a bit however....
Rockwell has done a great job promoting himself, he was quoted back on the first pages of this thread. I also like reading some of the first posts in this thread that talk about storage space. Cards now are storing twice as much at half the price as when this thread started.

KCitons said:
jamny said:
I've been reading this thread from the beginning and it's been very informative. I've decided on the Nikon D7100 and a lot of questions have been answered here, especially on the many lens choices available.

Cool! So you like it...any complaints?

KCitons said:
jamny said:

No complaints really. One thing I noticed right after I bought mine, was the difficulty finding an extra battery. I always carried an extra with my D60, but the price of the D7100 batteries was outrageous at the time. Luckily, this camera handles power much better and I haven't found myself running out before the end of the day.

There is a ton of features on the D7100. (I still learn things every time I use it) I downloaded the Dummies book, they have a specific one for the D7100 model. My first big trip was to Vegas, when my daughter swam with the dolphins at the Mirage. I was having trouble remember some settings, so having the E-book on my phone saved the day.

I have a Sigma 18-200 lens. It's 3.5-6.3f and is good for 80% of what I shoot outdoors. I also have the 35 mm 1.8f, that fills in when I am indoors. It does a great job in low light when paired with the D7100. The only other lens I use is an old (1970's) 50mm "pancake" lens. This one doesn't allow for any autofocus or metering. But it only cost me $30 on ebay and it's fun to play around with. I use it mostly for portraits, as the boca is better than the other two lenses.

Anybody have the Nikon 18-300 that came out last year? http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-18-300mm-3-5-6-3G-AF-S-Nikkor/dp/B00JKUPRF4/

If so, worth the $900? Thinking of getting this for an upcoming trip to Alaska. I've got an 18-55 and 55-200 for zoom. This one seems to have good reviews, and thinking it would be nice not to have to switch lenses between glaciers/wildlife. Reviews indicate relatively light too.

ETA: Relatedly, for anyone who has done an Alaskan cruise, am I right that having a zoom with a good range is the most critical lens to have? I prefer a fixed lens, but my assumption is that flexibility will be more important.
Bumping this question in case my issue was posting it on a Sunday.
I bought almost the exact same lens (Nikon 18-300 3.5-5.6G-AF-S) about 3-4 weeks ago. I have used it only a few times, but so far, I am a fan. It is noticeably heavier than the 55-300, but I will take that trade-off versus having to change lenses periodically. I bought it mainly for the latter reason; I have missed countless photos due to not having the correct lens on the body, it seems.The pictures themselves (again, only a limited amount so far) look good, both at the long end and short end of the lens. There really is no "lens creep" so far with this lens either.

YMMV. I am really only a vacation/leisure photographer, so if you're looking for a recommendation from someone with a lot of photo experience, that's not me.

Good luck.
I bought the 6.3 version (which is about 10oz lighter from what I understand). Really, really like it. It's barely larger than my older 18-200.

Great vacation / walking around lens.
I went ahead and bought the 6.3 version. It has been great so far. Looking forward to using it on vacation.

KCitons said:
jamny said:

No complaints really. One thing I noticed right after I bought mine, was the difficulty finding an extra battery. I always carried an extra with my D60, but the price of the D7100 batteries was outrageous at the time. Luckily, this camera handles power much better and I haven't found myself running out before the end of the day.

There is a ton of features on the D7100. (I still learn things every time I use it) I downloaded the Dummies book, they have a specific one for the D7100 model. My first big trip was to Vegas, when my daughter swam with the dolphins at the Mirage. I was having trouble remember some settings, so having the E-book on my phone saved the day.

I have a Sigma 18-200 lens. It's 3.5-6.3f and is good for 80% of what I shoot outdoors. I also have the 35 mm 1.8f, that fills in when I am indoors. It does a great job in low light when paired with the D7100. The only other lens I use is an old (1970's) 50mm "pancake" lens. This one doesn't allow for any autofocus or metering. But it only cost me $30 on ebay and it's fun to play around with. I use it mostly for portraits, as the boca is better than the other two lenses.
That's a good idea getting a pdf version of a book like that. I'll check it out.

Those are the two lenses I'm considering getting. Do you find yourself missing the little extra that an 18-300 would give you?

KCitons said:
jamny said:

That's a good idea getting a pdf version of a book like that. I'll check it out.

Those are the two lenses I'm considering getting. Do you find yourself missing the little extra that an 18-300 would give you?
as someone who used to own an 18-200, then went to an 18-300, I can attest that the 300 is so much better. Especially for any kind of wildlife / vacation / etc.

KCitons said:
jamny said:

JWB has a more accurate opinion on the 18-300. Keep in mind, there will always be something out of range of your lens or another larger lens you could purchase to give you extra range. Most pros will tell you the best zoom is your feet.

Part of the reason I went with the Sigma 18-200 was the reviews in relation to the D7100 and the cost. Since I wasn't looking to sell or publish my photos, the Sigma was good enough for me. Everyone has different budgets and opinions. :shrug:

KCitons said:
jamny said:

JWB has a more accurate opinion on the 18-300. Keep in mind, there will always be something out of range of your lens or another larger lens you could purchase to give you extra range. Most pros will tell you the best zoom is your feet.

Part of the reason I went with the Sigma 18-200 was the reviews in relation to the D7100 and the cost. Since I wasn't looking to sell or publish my photos, the Sigma was good enough for me. Everyone has different budgets and opinions. :shrug:
agreed - you can go deep down the rabbit hole.

I like wildlife photography (along with the usual vacation / family / etc), so the most zoom is always welcome. I also find the convenience of the walking around lens excellent for most situations (I have a 50mm prime and a 11-22 wide angle as well.)

Pulled the trigger on the D5500. Went to the store and played around with the D3300 and this. The girlfriend really liked the flip out touchscreen and felt it would make it easier for her to take shots since she's kinda short.

Charging the battery now and can't wait to give it a spin. I picked up a 35mm prime lenses and am going to use my older 18-135mm for now.

Heading to Disney in November.

Taking the D3100 we've had for several years.

Last year I bought the new 18-140mm Nikon lens. I am assuming that should be good enough as a walk around lens.

But wondering if I should but the 35mm for at night or dark rides.

Worth swapping the lens?

Or just keep the 18-140 on and not worry about it?

Thanks

Last year I bought the new 18-140mm Nikon lens. I am assuming that should be good enough as a walk around lens.

Worth swapping the lens?

Thanks
In my experience, the 35mm (and 50mm - that's what I have) are decent for low light, but that doesn't mean dark (or night). You will still need a flash or to crank up the ISO. Plus, they aren't VR, so there are a lot of blurry shots with it. My favorite "I should fame that" shots are with my 50mm, but the "keep vs garbage" ratio is much higher too.

For me, my 50mm is more of a portrait lens - I usually don't even take it on vacation. I wouldn't use it for a situation where you get one or two chances to take the pic.

Worth swapping the lens?

Thanks
In my experience, the 35mm (and 50mm - that's what I have) are decent for low light, but that doesn't mean dark (or night). You will still need a flash or to crank up the ISO. Plus, they aren't VR, so there are a lot of blurry shots with it. My favorite "I should fame that" shots are with my 50mm, but the "keep vs garbage" ratio is much higher too.

For me, my 50mm is more of a portrait lens - I usually don't even take it on vacation. I wouldn't use it for a situation where you get one or two chances to take the pic.
I should have clarified, not just for night. But the Xmas parade, Xmas lights at Hollywood Studios, etc.

I think the 35 would be a great option for those situations. But I am looking for advice from people much more knowledgeable than me.

Worth swapping the lens?

Thanks

I should have clarified, not just for night. But the Xmas parade, Xmas lights at Hollywood Studios, etc.

I think the 35 would be a great option for those situations. But I am looking for advice from people much more knowledgeable than me.
It should be fine then.

ETA: My previous comments need to be in the context that I am shooting with a D80. The ISO/lower light performance of newer cameras is likely better, regardless of the lens. At least from what I am reading.

I need to upgrade my camera. That D5500 looks sweet :)

Personally, on a trip like that, I'd rather have a lens with wide range of zoom available vs. the better f/stop with a prime lens. On our Disney trip, I had a 18-200, but most shots were in the 18 to 55 range. The only occasion where I used the longer zoom range was on the Safari ride.

If you're going to Disney just to get a good picture of the castle/fireworks and willing to camp out at a prime spot for hours, then, yeah having the best lens for the job is worthwhile. If you're with family and tooling around, I wouldn't want to carry anything more than necessary and the tradeoff probably isn't worth it.

The other low light situation there is with character meet/greets. My pictures with flash used turned out better than trying to keep play the high ISO / low f-stop game.

After all that, I've never been there during Xmas time, so do whatever the #### you want.

Personally, on a trip like that, I'd rather have a lens with wide range of zoom available vs. the better f/stop with a prime lens. On our Disney trip, I had a 18-200, but most shots were in the 18 to 55 range. The only occasion where I used the longer zoom range was on the Safari ride.

If you're going to Disney just to get a good picture of the castle/fireworks and willing to camp out at a prime spot for hours, then, yeah having the best lens for the job is worthwhile. If you're with family and tooling around, I wouldn't want to carry anything more than necessary and the tradeoff probably isn't worth it.

The other low light situation there is with character meet/greets. My pictures with flash used turned out better than trying to keep play the high ISO / low f-stop game.

After all that, I've never been there during Xmas time, so do whatever the #### you want.
I am far from a pro. Just a typical family man trying to capture some decent photos.

As I originally said, I feel the 18-140 is going to be fine 90% of the time.

But the 35 is tempting me. It's such an inexpensive lens for how great the reviews are.

I love my 35mm. When on vacation, I usually have the zoom on my camera so I don't miss shots, but I switch to the 35mm pretty regularly. It's a lot better for lower light situations than the zoom. When I was in Italy, I got a few great photos with my 35mm walking around Venice, etc. at night that I would not have been able to get with the zoom lens.

Payne said:
Brony said:

I am far from a pro. Just a typical family man trying to capture some decent photos.

As I originally said, I feel the 18-140 is going to be fine 90% of the time.

But the 35 is tempting me. It's such an inexpensive lens for how great the reviews are.
If you like photography in general, it's almost a no-brainer buy. You will enjoy it, even if you don't find yourself changing lenses in the middle of Space Mountain.

Plus, lenses are forever. Camera bodies come and go, but as long as you buy another Nikon, you're good.

Worth swapping the lens?

Thanks
I may be off on this, but at WDW, you are in some ways better covered by Memory Maker. The rides will give you shots (and a couple movies) automatically if you are staying onsite and have the band, and wherever you see a photographer, you get a shot and it is included. You download the pics and they are yours in your computer. It's worth every penny, especially since you can link everyone in your group on one MM.

I'm not saying you don't want your camera, but you may not want to bring it every day everywhere. If you are going to the Christmas Party, you may want to bring it to take your own shots, or to a firework show or something.

Shoot in Aperture Priority mode (A) at the lowest number the camera (lens) will allow. Then crank up ISO to the highest the camera will go without signifcant noise (probably ~3200). If it's still blurry, you need more light or a tripod or use a flash. This applies to any camera.

If I'm shooting indoors, I'll ask my subject to stand next to a window if it's daylight and I'll shoot so I'm aiming parallel to the window. If it's night time, there's not a light bulb in my house that won't result in a crappy picture. I use flash indoors if at night.

Shoot in Aperture Priority mode (A) at the lowest number the camera (lens) will allow. Then crank up ISO to the highest the camera will go without signifcant noise (probably ~3200). If it's still blurry, you need more light or a tripod or use a flash. This applies to any camera.

If I'm shooting indoors, I'll ask my subject to stand next to a window if it's daylight and I'll shoot so I'm aiming parallel to the window. If it's night time, there's not a light bulb in my house that won't result in a crappy picture. I use flash indoors if at night.
What about outdoors?
same advice he gave. A / low number / high ISO.

Dark is your enemy, indoors or out.

Anyone ever used the string method for steadying the camera in low light? I never have, but may be worth a try.

Anyone ever used the string method for steadying the camera in low light? I never have, but may be worth a try.
I think it's hooey, but I am sure results vary wildly just as handheld results vary wildly even when using identical form.

This was one of the best purchases I have ever made and is so small/light and quick to use I have even used it in places where I am pretty sure monopods aren't allowed...

http://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-P-326-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B004QC6VAG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433914905&sr=1-3&keywords=6+section+monopod

I think it's hooey, but I am sure results vary wildly just as handheld results vary wildly even when using identical form.

This was one of the best purchases I have ever made and is so small/light and quick to use I have even used it in places where I am pretty sure monopods aren't allowed...

http://www.amazon.com/SIRUI-P-326-Section-Carbon-Monopod/dp/B004QC6VAG/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1433914905&sr=1-3&keywords=6+section+monopod
Dad, is that you? Haven't heard that phrase since I was a kid.

Would I be better off getting one those Gorillapod's built for DSLR's? When I travel I doubt I'll ever really need a full-sized tripod, but it would be nice to be able to pop it on something small to set up a cool shot for sunset.
you could, but just be sure it can safely hold the weight of your camera.

Would I be better off getting one those Gorillapod's built for DSLR's? When I travel I doubt I'll ever really need a full-sized tripod, but it would be nice to be able to pop it on something small to set up a cool shot for sunset.
you could, but just be sure it can safely hold the weight of your camera.
Reviews say it can.
Customer reviews for the SLR-Zoom and the Focus model look above average.

http://joby.com/gorillapod

ETA: the Joby reps are quick to respond to negative comments with helpful information.

A beanbag might be equally as effective and also easier to travel with than the Gorillapod.

I think it's hooey, but I am sure results vary wildly just as handheld results vary wildly even when using identical form. This was one of the best purchases I have ever made and is so small/light and quick to use I have even used it in places where I am pretty sure monopods aren't allowed...

I have been using one just like it for a couple of years and its fantastic.

Just brought home my D7100 with a 35mm 1.8 prime. :pickle:
:thumbup: Weather has been #### by me. Overcast all morning and never really burns off.
Had the day off today so finally got to dig into it. I took probably 500 pics just learning settings. It's scary good. But it's very comfortable. Very happy with it.
Out of 500 pics, there has to be at least one worth sharing. :thumbup:
Not really and I've deleted them all except for one batch that I put on my computer just to look at a little closer. Just generic stuff walking around the house and a park in the neighborhood. I'd take like 20 shots of a tree or some clouds using all possible settings. Getting used to motion shots with cars driving by, etc. Gonna be working here on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm psyched about that.

What do you guys usually use to transfer pics? Connect you computer to camera or with a card reader?

BTW - Nikon is having a 10% off sale on refurb equipment this weekend. I bought the 18-200 VRII for $449. Can't wait to get that but the 35mm prime has been fun to learn with.

I always use a card reader to pull the pictures from the memory cards. I usually have a 64gb/32gb combo in the camera, as I shoot both RAW (64gb) and jpeg fine (32gb). I have a second set of cards that I carry with me in case the first set gets full. Or when I get home, I swap them out and the camera is ready for the next outing.

Took a three day weekend into NYC this weekend and made a point to visit B&H Photo, Video & Audio.

My life will never be the same.

Hahahaha!

That store is AMAZING!

More photo gadgets then you can dream of. Such a fun place to go to.

And more security on hand than the 911 Memorial & Museum.

Anyone know anything about the Olympus PEN E-PL6? Amazon has it for $299 with free shipping right now and it seems like it's just what the doctor ordered for me to buy my wife for our upcoming EurotripTM

She's looking for something smaller and more compact that takes very high quality photos that she can theoretically blow up to 8x11 or possibly larger without getting grainy. Seems like the newer mirrorless jobs are really the only way to go to satisfy both criteria. Bummer is that she won't get powerful zoom without and expensive telephoto lens (which she ain't getting) but it looks to me like the tiny sensors on these bridge/superzoom cameras aren't going to give you a much crisper shot than a point & shoot or cell phone camera, both of which we already have, no?

Anyone know anything about the Olympus PEN E-PL6? Amazon has it for $299 with free shipping right now and it seems like it's just what the doctor ordered for me to buy my wife for our upcoming EurotripTM

She's looking for something smaller and more compact that takes very high quality photos that she can theoretically blow up to 8x11 or possibly larger without getting grainy. Seems like the newer mirrorless jobs are really the only way to go to satisfy both criteria. Bummer is that she won't get powerful zoom without and expensive telephoto lens (which she ain't getting) but it looks to me like the tiny sensors on these bridge/superzoom cameras aren't going to give you a much crisper shot than a point & shoot or cell phone camera, both of which we already have, no?
Don't know about that particular model, but past Olympus mirrorless (OMD E510) got really good reviews. If you're not planning on buying a kajillion lenses to go with it, seems like a good buy.

Don't know about that particular model, but past Olympus mirrorless (OMD E510) got really good reviews. If you're not planning on buying a kajillion lenses to go with it, seems like a good buy.
When it comes to lenses, she's getting the Spaulding treatment, she'll get nothing and LIKE IT !

Seriously, though - the mirrorless/micro four-thirds cameras shoot much nicer looking, sharper photos than bridge/superzoom cameras, correct?

When it comes to lenses, she's getting the Spaulding treatment, she'll get nothing and LIKE IT !

Seriously, though - the mirrorless/micro four-thirds cameras shoot much nicer looking, sharper photos than bridge/superzoom cameras, correct?
I don't have first hand experience, but since the mirrorless sensors are 3-4X that of those little #### cameras, image quality is much better. "It's the best. I bought it from a ____"

I don't have first hand experience, but since the mirrorless sensors are 3-4X that of those little #### cameras, image quality is much better. "It's the best. I bought it from a ____"
:lmao:

OK, I thought so, and image quality is more important to her than high-zoom capability. I'm hoping there isn't a tremendous learning curve with the micro four thirds cameras because she's never used anything but a point & shoot in her life and knows nothing about photography. And isn't likely to spend hours and hours learning before our trip.

Just brought home my D7100 with a 35mm 1.8 prime. :pickle:
:thumbup: Weather has been #### by me. Overcast all morning and never really burns off.
Had the day off today so finally got to dig into it. I took probably 500 pics just learning settings. It's scary good. But it's very comfortable. Very happy with it.
Out of 500 pics, there has to be at least one worth sharing. :thumbup:
Not really and I've deleted them all except for one batch that I put on my computer just to look at a little closer. Just generic stuff walking around the house and a park in the neighborhood. I'd take like 20 shots of a tree or some clouds using all possible settings. Getting used to motion shots with cars driving by, etc. Gonna be working here on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm psyched about that.

What do you guys usually use to transfer pics? Connect you computer to camera or with a card reader?

BTW - Nikon is having a 10% off sale on refurb equipment this weekend. I bought the 18-200 VRII for $449. Can't wait to get that but the 35mm prime has been fun to learn with.
So I've taken over 1700 pics in just over a week. :lmao:

Drilled down to most of the settings. Gonna work on bracketing tomorrow. Still not much in the way of good pics to show for it although I did walk around Williamsburg the other day. It was really overcast. so I'm looking forward to going back. Pics aren't great but I'm better since then!

Some cool stuff there Jamny. I noticed only a few were night pics. Were you using the 18-200 with those shots?

Some cool stuff there Jamny. I noticed only a few were night pics. Were you using the 18-200 with those shots?
The pics with this camera were only like the first 10 or so. Most of the ones after were with my little Sony P&S (HX9V)

All the Williamsburg picks were with the 35mm.

Just got my 18-200 a couple of days ago/ Love it so far!

So I bought this camera in preparation for a trip to Vancouver Island and I notice this on the website of one of the places we are staying:

Nikon & Canon lenses - the following long-range zoom lenses are also available for your use.
• Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
• Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II

:excited:

If anyone is interested, I am selling off a lot of my gear. It's good stuff and I've taken great care of it. I'll still be shooting digital, but I have more cameras and equipment right now than I use and I need to clean house a bit. The main thing I'm selling is my Nikon D600 & the kit lens (Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED). I also have a speedlight, D60 body, and a couple nice Nikon DX lenses (35mm and 75-300mm). I have original boxes, manuals, accessories for most of this stuff. Asking $1500 for the D600 & lens (otherwise, $1100 for the D600 body only, $450 for the lens only) and haven't really thought about price for the rest of the stuff.

I bought the Nikon 18-140mm lens that has received a lot of great reviews. Other than casting a small shadow on the bottom of the pictures if set all the way to 18mm, it takes fantastic pictures in well light areas and very good pictures with average lighting.

However, it also doesn't seem to focus on an entire room or area all the time.

For instance, on Christmas I was taking pics of my kids opening their gifts.

The lens wanted to focus on one part of the room instead of focusing on the entire room. Let's say my daughter was holding up a gift.

The focus was on what she was holding and her face would be slightly blurry.

I feel this must be a setting that needs to be changed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Nikon D3100 body

Haven't posted in here for a while. Last fall I upgraded some gear to shoot my boys football. I tweaked what I had, and this is the kits I am now shooting:

Canon 60D

Canon 70-200 F4L

Canon 300 F4L

1.4 TC

Sigma 10-22 3.5-5.6

Canon 18-200 4.5-5.6 IS

The 300 Prime has a huge learning curve to it....Loving shooting sports though

I bought the Nikon 18-140mm lens that has received a lot of great reviews. Other than casting a small shadow on the bottom of the pictures if set all the way to 18mm, it takes fantastic pictures in well light areas and very good pictures with average lighting.

However, it also doesn't seem to focus on an entire room or area all the time.

For instance, on Christmas I was taking pics of my kids opening their gifts.

The lens wanted to focus on one part of the room instead of focusing on the entire room. Let's say my daughter was holding up a gift.

The focus was on what she was holding and her face would be slightly blurry.

I feel this must be a setting that needs to be changed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: Nikon D3100 body
Try upping the aperture.

Users who are viewing this thread