What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumbest picks you've seen in your drafts this year (1 Viewer)

Now I'm a huge Packer fan as is my entire league but check out this guys starting line-up....

QB: Aaron Rodgers

RB: Eddie Lacy

RB: Alfred Morris

WR: Jordy Nelson

WR: James Jones

RB/WR: Rashard Mendenhall

TE: Jermichael Finley

This is a 10 team 2 keeper league FWIW...I'm not even going to put the bench in but needless to say it's embarrassing ( Ace Sanders, Issac Redman, Santonio Holmes to name a few of his better players)...The best part about this team is the fact that he constantly ripped everyone else for drafting horribly.
thank goodness he wasn't a raiders or jets fan..lol

Another guy took:

DeMarco Murray, McFadden, & Mathews in back to back to back rounds
Depending on the rounds, this might not be bad at all.
2, 3, 4
Who'd he take in the first? This might be the winner.
Forte
I don't understand the drafting 4 rb's in a row thing--but I have to say that i play in 5 leagues--and this is not a rare strategy this year. In most of the leagues I play in--demarco tends to go in the 2nd/3rd, mcfadden in the 3rd/4th and matthews probably in the 4-6th rounds--so although I wouldn't endorse this strategy-- I don't think it's completely out of this world idiotic.
A guy in my league simply cannot resist. RBs are like fly paper to him. Invariably he leaves himself weak elsewhere (often QB) but rather than making him live with his mistake, someone in the league will trade him a QB - often late enough in the year that he's been able to decide which RB(s) are expendable and make a run with a better QB.
So its a good strategy then?
I'm not a big fan of a draft strategy that relies on needing to execute a trade with an as yet unknown owner for an as yet unnamed QB. If the league generally had a fluid trade market, maybe but this one doesn't.

jvdesigns2002 said:
Landro21 said:
Now I'm a huge Packer fan as is my entire league but check out this guys starting line-up....

QB: Aaron Rodgers

RB: Eddie Lacy

RB: Alfred Morris

WR: Jordy Nelson

WR: James Jones

RB/WR: Rashard Mendenhall

TE: Jermichael Finley

This is a 10 team 2 keeper league FWIW...I'm not even going to put the bench in but needless to say it's embarrassing ( Ace Sanders, Issac Redman, Santonio Holmes to name a few of his better players)...The best part about this team is the fact that he constantly ripped everyone else for drafting horribly.
thank goodness he wasn't a raiders or jets fan..lol
Jets fans are so frustrated that they don't even want to roster their players.

Guy in one league picked 1.9, took Vick Ballard. This was last week of July with Bradshaw already there. If AB is not healthy, it will look pretty good, but I would hate using a rookie/FA pick in the top 10 on a guy that only sees significant playing time if another guy gets injured...

Another one was me. I wanted to get Lattimore and Michael in this draft. I had the 7th overall pick and the 2.02. I drafted Michael first, but the guy who picked right behind me had just signed Gore during our Free Agency signing day a couple hours earlier. Had I taken Lattimore first, I could've gotten Michael at 2.02. Kicking myself on that one...

10 team PPR league.

QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2 Flex, K, D

Didn't take a WR until the 8th round & 2 high QB's back to back...

01.02 [SIZE=medium]Doug Martin[/SIZE]

02.09 [SIZE=medium]Jimmy Graham[/SIZE]

03.02 [SIZE=medium]Reggie Bush[/SIZE]

04.09 [SIZE=medium]David Wilson[/SIZE]

05.02 [SIZE=medium]Frank Gore[/SIZE]

06.09 [SIZE=medium]Colin Kaepernick[/SIZE]

07.02 [SIZE=medium]Cam Newton[/SIZE]

08.09 [SIZE=medium]DeSean Jackson[/SIZE]

09.02 [SIZE=medium]Cecil Shorts[/SIZE]

10.09 [SIZE=medium]Vincent Brown[/SIZE]

11.02 [SIZE=medium]Ben Tate[/SIZE]

12.09 [SIZE=medium]Kenny Britt[/SIZE]

13.02 [SIZE=medium]Michael Floyd[/SIZE]

14.09 [SIZE=medium]Brian Hartline[/SIZE]

15.02 [SIZE=medium]Joique Bell[/SIZE]

16.09 [SIZE=medium]Greg Little[/SIZE]

17.02 [SIZE=medium]Randy Bullock[/SIZE]

18.09 [SIZE=medium]Tampa Bay[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
10 team PPR league.

Championship caliber team

10 team PPR league.

this is not a bad team at all. I imagine he could get a decent wr for either cam or kaep---and he's stacked everywhere else. I don't think this was a dumb draft at all. Tampa bay d against the jets will be huge this week. He has bell handcuffing bush--which is solid. Desean will be the clear wr on phi--so he's quietly a nice wr--and shorts will get tons of targets until blackmon comes back. I'd take this team in a second.

10 team PPR league.

this is not a bad team at all. I imagine he could get a decent wr for either cam or kaep---and he's stacked everywhere else. I don't think this was a dumb draft at all. Tampa bay d against the jets will be huge this week. He has bell handcuffing bush--which is solid. Desean will be the clear wr on phi--so he's quietly a nice wr--and shorts will get tons of targets until blackmon comes back. I'd take this team in a second.
Yeah, I like this team. Particularly because he can start 2 flexes. He'll be able to start all 4 of his top RBs every week.

10 team PPR league.

Yeah, I like this team. Particularly because he can start 2 flexes. He'll be able to start all 4 of his top RBs every week.
If I can start up to 4 RB's, I do the same thing. I go all RB's all the time. I like that squad...

10 team PPR league.

If I can start up to 4 RB's, I do the same thing. I go all RB's all the time. I like that squad...
So has this "dumbest picks" thread been hijacked and diverted to Boast-town?

I'm not clear if he was posting his own team to show how stupid everyone else in his league is or if he was posting someone who he thought drafted stupidly. If it was the latter, he's obviously wrong as others have pointed out. That's a solid team.

10 team PPR league.

01.02 Doug Martin

02.09 Jimmy Graham

03.02 Reggie Bush

04.09 David Wilson

05.02 Frank Gore

06.09 Colin Kaepernick

07.02 Cam Newton

08.09 DeSean Jackson

09.02 Cecil Shorts

10.09 Vincent Brown

11.02 Ben Tate

12.09 Kenny Britt

13.02 Michael Floyd

14.09 Brian Hartline

15.02 Joique Bell

16.09 Greg Little

17.02 Randy Bullock

18.09 Tampa Bay
wow great team

one guy in my 20 year 12 redraft with a slight more empahsis on D's (but 1st D usually taken in 6-7th round) Drafted 3 D's by end of the 6th (SEA/SF/CHI) (trading his 7/8 for a 6 to take CHI). They were the 1st 3 d's off the board.

I have seen quite a few people this year draft their backup QB before they even have their 2nd RB or WR. I know people are thinking they will just use these QBs as trade chips, but more often than not these guys just end up with 2 stud QBs on their roster all year with the ability to just start 1. People see a big name like RG3 and they end up taking him as their 2nd QB, when guys like Eddie Lacy or Eric Decker are still on the board. Obviously these are casual owners, but I would think it would be common sense that you need to fill out your starting RBs before you get a 2nd QB.

I have seen quite a few people this year draft their backup QB before they even have their 2nd RB or WR. I know people are thinking they will just use these QBs as trade chips, but more often than not these guys just end up with 2 stud QBs on their roster all year with the ability to just start 1. People see a big name like RG3 and they end up taking him as their 2nd QB, when guys like Eddie Lacy or Eric Decker are still on the board. Obviously these are casual owners, but I would think it would be common sense that you need to fill out your starting RBs before you get a 2nd QB.
yeah--but on another note--I see many more occasions where people are drafting 3-4 rb's in leagues that only allow 2-3 to start before they draft a starting wr or a starting qb--so in a sense-- just as many people (if not more) are hoarding rbs--and that's no better. I just find it funny that the people who tend to hoard rb's get mad when other teams grab a second qb by the time they draft their first-- what are other owners supposed to do--let these guys draft all of the best rb's and wr's--and still allow them to get quality qb's? Call a spade a spade-- somebody drafting 2 quality qbs is no more dumb that somebody drafting 4-5 running backs before drafting a starting qb. For some reason-- it just seems like the running back addicts have this sense of entitlement that anybody who doesn't let a quality qb fall to them doesn't know what they are doing.

Yahoo 20 dollar public league

Guy took Michael Turner in the 2nd round. Claimed he hit the button on a accident.

3rd round he took Leshoure

4 rounds later he took Aaron Hernandez

Afterall all this he claim he will win the league.

For our live in-person draft (redraft-PPR), one of the guys rolls up with a magazine. During the draft he proceeds to draft:

Maclin

Pitta

Crabtree

Harvin

I kid you not. In his defense, he took them at exceptional values if they were healthy :)

I felt a little sad because the magazine had to be a little older since it didn't have the injury status, and so he had probably been studying that magazine for a couple months.

I was eating at Wild Wings and these guys were drafting next to me. 10 team league, and they got a huge draft board and buckets of beer as a promotion. I didn't pay too much attention to them until one guy loudly was bragging about talking to Erin Andrews on the phone the night before (he had on a Fox Sports shirt). The guy then immediately drafted a defense. I started paying attention to the draft board, and they were in the 6th round. 8 teams had defenses and guys like Kenbrell Thompkins, Sudfeld, and Julius Thomas were gone. I kind of laughed, and then I realized all of them were having fun, so who am I to laugh at them. Some people aren't as competitive as all of us and just want to have fun. Isn't that what it's all about? Who cares who people draft and their reason behind it.

Girlfriend's family league, 4 pts/passing TD, PPR, 14 teams.

SIX QBs in the first round, including Kaep and Luck.

I drafted from the three spot, got Doug Martin and Dez with my first two picks. GF drafted from the 12 spot and got Foster and Rice. :hifive:

Drafting the other night and I took Jason Witten in the 5th, Tony Romo in the 7th. Cowboys fan in the league comes on drunk from the club, wants Cowboys on his squad. Offers me Cam Newton for Tony Romo straight up. Deal I say, other league members trying to tell him they'll give more for Cam but he only wants Romo.

Post-draft he decides he must have Witten as well, I say I'll only do this deal: Witten/Kendall Wright/NYG for Antonio Brown/Greg Olsen/Houston. He takes it, league is calling me shady and some people don't like it but I know they'd have all taken the deal if they had Witten.

He has since traded for Murray

His lineup includes: Tony Romo, DeMarco, Bryant, Austin, Witten, Cowboys DEF and Dan Bailey, when the Cowboys go off he is going to be unstoppable but bad weeks for the Cowboys will be doubly bad for him lol! Oh and Dunbar on the bench lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
Work league - 12 team ppr - Guy in the 9 spot took Brees in the first followed by Matt Bryant in the 2nd. Yahoo gave him an A.

His team is

1. (9) Drew Brees(NO - QB) 2. (16) Matt Bryant(Atl - K) 3. (33) Reggie Bush(Det - RB) 4. (40) Larry Fitzgerald(Ari - WR) 5. (57) Jason Witten(Dal - TE) 6. (64) Lamar Miller(Mia - RB) 7. (81) Mike Wallace(Mia - WR) 8. (88) Stevie Johnson(Buf - WR) 9. (105) Houston(Hou - DEF) 10. (112) Eli Manning(NYG - QB) 11. (129) Mark Ingram(NO - RB) 12. (136) Emmanuel Sanders(Pit - WR) 13. (153) Brandon Pettigrew(Det - TE) 14. (160) Aaron Dobson(NE - WR) 15. (177) Jacoby Jones(Bal - WR) But I think this guy's was worse

1. (12) Matt Forte(Chi - RB) 2. (13) Jimmy Graham(NO - TE) 3. (36) Matthew Stafford(Det - QB) 4. (37) Victor Cruz(NYG - WR) 5. (60) Ryan Mathews(SD - RB) 6. (61) Wes Welker(Den - WR) 7. (84) BenJarvus Green-Ellis(Cin - RB) 8. (85) Mike Williams(TB - WR) 9. (108) Vincent Brown(SD - WR) 10. (109) Ben Roethlisberger(Pit - QB) 11. (132) Cordarrelle Patterson(Min - WR) 12. (133) Pierre Thomas(NO - RB) 13. (156) Fred Jackson(Buf - RB) 14. (157) Brandon LaFell(Car - WR) 15. (180) Tennessee(Ten - DEF) Same league, Roddy was the second receiver off the board at 2.02. James Jones went 5 picks before Nelson. 1st Defense went in the 6th, same guy took a backup D in 7, and so on...

I had my last draft tonight. Local league with some guys that really didn't have a clue. There were three idiotic picks tonight.

1. One dude took Rodgers in the 3rd round and then took Brady in the 5th.

2. #1 was bad, but not as bad as someone taking..... Willis McGahee as his 2nd RB.

3. Someone took Welker as their #1 WR and Decker as their #2.

Sad to say, but I'm not making any of this up.
I can top that...number one overall pick took AP. Not so bad right? But then he followed that up with Rodgers, Brees, Gore, and Brady!!! Then took Vick in the 7th. Pretty crazy, but what is even crazier is the fact that his team doesn't look bad and according to FBG projections, he will have the #2 scoring team. Unreal...

For our live in-person draft (redraft-PPR), one of the guys rolls up with a magazine. During the draft he proceeds to draft:

Maclin

Pitta

Crabtree

Harvin

I kid you not. In his defense, he took them at exceptional values if they were healthy :)

I felt a little sad because the magazine had to be a little older since it didn't have the injury status, and so he had probably been studying that magazine for a couple months.
That's one guy you can count on that won't use a mag anymore...

Maclin

Pitta

Crabtree

Harvin

That's one guy you can count on that won't use a mag anymore...
We had a guy do the exact same thing.....except his freind (the commish) kept telling him they were injured and letting him draft other players.

I'm actually really pissed off about it, I've been in this league for a long time and back when I was younger I didn't spend as much time preparing. There were several times throughout the years where myself and others drafted injured players and nothing was said until a pick or two later and we were not allowed to change it....My brother and I have been dominating this league now for the last 7 years, if one of us made those picks the room would have been silent!

This guy said he didn't have time to prepare and bought a mag on the way to the draft....I don't feel bad for him, if you are dropping 200 bucks for a league and don't spend ANY time at all keeping up with football news that's not my problem, we're all busy.

10 team PPR league.

Championship caliber team
Agreed. Got almost all my late WR targets. Awesome team.

Had a local friend show me his 10 team draft. while lots WTF (especially QB), the best was some clown taking EJ Manuel in 6th round ahead of the Romo, Stafford tier. considering that guy is going undrafted more than not, even he somehow is that good, zero reason to take anywhere before round 14/15.

Work league - 12 team ppr - Guy in the 9 spot took Brees in the first followed by Matt Bryant in the 2nd. Yahoo gave him an A.

His team is

1. (9) Drew Brees(NO - QB) 2. (16) Matt Bryant(Atl - K) 3. (33) Reggie Bush(Det - RB) 4. (40) Larry Fitzgerald(Ari - WR) 5. (57) Jason Witten(Dal - TE) 6. (64) Lamar Miller(Mia - RB) 7. (81) Mike Wallace(Mia - WR) 8. (88) Stevie Johnson(Buf - WR) 9. (105) Houston(Hou - DEF) 10. (112) Eli Manning(NYG - QB) 11. (129) Mark Ingram(NO - RB) 12. (136) Emmanuel Sanders(Pit - WR) 13. (153) Brandon Pettigrew(Det - TE) 14. (160) Aaron Dobson(NE - WR) 15. (177) Jacoby Jones(Bal - WR)But I think this guy's was worse

1. (12) Matt Forte(Chi - RB) 2. (13) Jimmy Graham(NO - TE) 3. (36) Matthew Stafford(Det - QB) 4. (37) Victor Cruz(NYG - WR) 5. (60) Ryan Mathews(SD - RB) 6. (61) Wes Welker(Den - WR) 7. (84) BenJarvus Green-Ellis(Cin - RB) 8. (85) Mike Williams(TB - WR) 9. (108) Vincent Brown(SD - WR) 10. (109) Ben Roethlisberger(Pit - QB) 11. (132) Cordarrelle Patterson(Min - WR) 12. (133) Pierre Thomas(NO - RB) 13. (156) Fred Jackson(Buf - RB) 14. (157) Brandon LaFell(Car - WR) 15. (180) Tennessee(Ten - DEF)Same league, Roddy was the second receiver off the board at 2.02. James Jones went 5 picks before Nelson. 1st Defense went in the 6th, same guy took a backup D in 7, and so on...
While far from perfect, both of those team have reasonable to good starting line-ups. Now, the depth for both is silly bad, but if either avoids major injuries, at least should be a pain to try to bet in a given week

His team is

1. (9) Drew Brees(NO - QB) 2. (16) Matt Bryant(Atl - K) 3. (33) Reggie Bush(Det - RB) 4. (40) Larry Fitzgerald(Ari - WR) 5. (57) Jason Witten(Dal - TE) 6. (64) Lamar Miller(Mia - RB) 7. (81) Mike Wallace(Mia - WR) 8. (88) Stevie Johnson(Buf - WR) 9. (105) Houston(Hou - DEF) 10. (112) Eli Manning(NYG - QB) 11. (129) Mark Ingram(NO - RB) 12. (136) Emmanuel Sanders(Pit - WR) 13. (153) Brandon Pettigrew(Det - TE) 14. (160) Aaron Dobson(NE - WR) 15. (177) Jacoby Jones(Bal - WR)But I think this guy's was worse

1. (12) Matt Forte(Chi - RB) 2. (13) Jimmy Graham(NO - TE) 3. (36) Matthew Stafford(Det - QB) 4. (37) Victor Cruz(NYG - WR) 5. (60) Ryan Mathews(SD - RB) 6. (61) Wes Welker(Den - WR) 7. (84) BenJarvus Green-Ellis(Cin - RB) 8. (85) Mike Williams(TB - WR) 9. (108) Vincent Brown(SD - WR) 10. (109) Ben Roethlisberger(Pit - QB) 11. (132) Cordarrelle Patterson(Min - WR) 12. (133) Pierre Thomas(NO - RB) 13. (156) Fred Jackson(Buf - RB) 14. (157) Brandon LaFell(Car - WR) 15. (180) Tennessee(Ten - DEF)Same league, Roddy was the second receiver off the board at 2.02. James Jones went 5 picks before Nelson. 1st Defense went in the 6th, same guy took a backup D in 7, and so on...
I'm assuming that is a misclick and he meant to take Dez?

In one of my locals someone took Monte Ball in the 2nd and another guy took Percy Harvin in the 4th.

$100 10 team league, start 1 QB, standard scoring (4 pt TDs, 1 pt per 25 yrds)-

Same team takes Rodgers THEN Brees at the 1/2 turn :excited: :excited: :excited: (Jamaal Charles fell to 2.2 in large part due to this)

Same draft, another team goes Torrey Smith @ 5.02 -- ahead of Gronk, Colston, Jordy Nelson, Lamar Miller, Nicks....
Like I said before the season drafting Torrey Smith in the 5th round not even close to being dumb and look at all the guys you listed he has done better than Gronk, Colston, Miller and Nicks...Nelson is probably a push.

Users who are viewing this thread