What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumervil released (1 Viewer)

moleculo

Footballguy
Elvis Dumervil has been released by the Broncos despite reaching an agreement with the team around 1:25 p.m. Friday.

The Broncos say Dumervil's agent Marty Magid didn't get a restructured contract signed in time and the team had no choice but to release him. The team didnt' get the fax with Dumervil's signature until 2:07 p.m., seven minutes and one second after the deadline.

Read more: Broncos release Elvis Dumervil because new contract too late - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_22799752/clock-ticks-elvis-dumervils-future-broncos-or-elsewhere#ixzz2NdslS9LI

Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

first I was all :D :headbang: :pickle: :clap: but now I'm all :angry: :jawdrop: :yucky: :X :wall: :rant: :hot:

So how many millions do you think that agent just lost as a result of that FUBAR?! Not just their cut of this deal, but other players telling him the equivalent of "you're clownin', dawg." :unsure:

Isn't Dummervill just going to essentially sign the same deal again? Or think he'll actually play the market now?

Isn't Dummervill just going to essentially sign the same deal again? Or think he'll actually play the market now?
I think after releasing him, Denver's accumulated several million in cap penalties. Doubt he'll be able to sign with Denver for the 8 million originally reported now.

Different cap ramifications. Broncos might not offer the same deal anymore. Might decide to offer him less too...just as a "dumb### tax" on his agent and Dumervil for putting them all in that position until the 11th hour. Who knows.

good lord, this infuriates me to no end. broncos cannot sign him at this point, he's gone. My understanding is that Broncos were pressed up agaisnt the cap as of this morning. Now, they have roughly $8M in cap space, which is what Elvis negotiated for. Now, signing him for that same amount means he costs $12M against the cap, putting broncos exactly up against the cap again.

damnit, this sucks.

Saints looking to swoop in -- fan favorites on the chopping block to free space. Dumervil fits the new 3-4 too well to let this opportunity go by.

I'll bet the last 10 minutes before deadline in the room with Dumerville and his agent team must have been comical to see.

"Paper jam in the fax machine! Paper jam in the fax machine! It's not working! Oh God!!"

I'll bet the last 10 minutes before deadline in the room with Dumerville and his agent team must have been comical to see."Paper jam in the fax machine! Paper jam in the fax machine! It's not working! Oh God!!"
:lmao:Exactly what I was thinking.Dumervil won't be back in Denver. I expect Freeney to be heading to Denver at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
good lord, this infuriates me to no end. broncos cannot sign him at this point, he's gone. My understanding is that Broncos were pressed up agaisnt the cap as of this morning. Now, they have roughly $8M in cap space, which is what Elvis negotiated for. Now, signing him for that same amount means he costs $12M against the cap, putting broncos exactly up against the cap again.damnit, this sucks.
I feel :X ... WTF?

Jeff Darlington ‏@JeffDarlington

Broncos urgently attempted to get contract sent by Dumervil's agent, even suggesting other post-1980s technological means to doing so.

:lmao:

I'll bet the last 10 minutes before deadline in the room with Dumerville and his agent team must have been comical to see."Paper jam in the fax machine! Paper jam in the fax machine! It's not working! Oh God!!"
Does anyone else hear a busy signal?

Saints OLB Junior Galette tweets:

JUNIOR GALETTE @JuniorG93#Elvis Come over to New Orleans my #Haitian Brother Our People Need This!! #WHODAT #ZoeNation
I wonder if the Haitian connection will matter much? Jonathan Vilma, still on the Saints after a recent restructure, is also Haitian.

so Elvis wants to be a bronco. His old contract was basically like this:

2013: $8M

2014: $10M ($3.5M guaranteed)

2015: $8.2M

so here's how a new contract could work:

$6m signing bonus

2013: $2m

2014: 10M

2015: 8.2M

2016: 8M

essentially extends his contract by one year. Same 2013 money including signing bonus. counts rougly $8.3m against the cap this year.

also, insist Elvis get new representation.

Go get him Saints
Have to cut somebody good and valuable to make room, but it's a great gamble. Trying to think of some players whose release could make it feasible. Jabari Greer? Pierre Thomas (gasp!)? Devery Henderson?EDIT: Would be nice for Brees to defer some base salary as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
so Elvis wants to be a bronco. His old contract was basically like this:2013: $8M2014: $10M ($3.5M guaranteed)2015: $8.2Mso here's how a new contract could work:$6m signing bonus2013: $2m2014: 10M2015: 8.2M2016: 8Messentially extends his contract by one year. Same 2013 money including signing bonus. counts rougly $8.3m against the cap this year.also, insist Elvis get new representation.
I don't see him accepting that unless there's some major guaranteed money in the years 2,3,4 of that deal.

"If you'd like to make a call please hang up and try again. If you need help, hang up and then dial your operator. Thank you."

How stupid can you get?

Denver upped their offer earlier in the day to sweeten the pot. They gave Elvis and his agent a 1:00 pm deadline to accept it. They didn't get back to them, so Elway and Co. began to decide what plan B was. At about 1:30 pm the agent calls back and said they wanted the deal, but didn't get the paperwork filed until 7 minutes past the deadline. Denver had to release him prior to 2:00 pm or take the whole hit. So he is released prior to 2:00 pm.

Now Denver faces close to a 5 million dollar dead money hit against the cap this year because of an agent's mistake.

There needs to be some kind of punishment against an agent for doing this (whether it be on purpose or accidental) Plus I can guarantee he just lost his client a chunk of money because other teams had clearly indicated by their lack of interest, they were not going to match Denver's offer.

I don't see him back in Denver unless he takes an even larger cut to make up for the money he just cost the team.

Users who are viewing this thread