What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumervil to Ravens (1 Viewer)

Big news and negates the loss of Kruger and the talk of moving Upshaw into the pass rushing role. I haven't heard any details on money but saw five years for length.Broncos are said to be concentrating on John Abraham who has played 4-3 DE his career.

Ravens got much better.

If the Broncos get Abe they'll be ok but this loss stings.

Big news and negates the loss of Kruger and the talk of moving Upshaw into the pass rushing role. I haven't heard any details on money but saw five years for length.Broncos are said to be concentrating on John Abraham who has played 4-3 DE his career.

Ravens got much better.

If the Broncos get Abe they'll be ok but this loss stings.
I heard Denver's first choice is Freeney and Abraham would end up in NE, but who know on these kind of things.

How did the ravens not have the money for all their starters who left (krueger, ellerbe, reed, boldin) but were able to give him such a big contract? I confused

How did the ravens not have the money for all their starters who left (krueger, ellerbe, reed, boldin) but were able to give him such a big contract? I confused
They had the money for at least a couple of those guys but they didn't think they were worth the money. Looks like a good call.

They have the money, they chose not to spend it. Ellerbe and Kruger got something like 75mil between the two, the Ravens (rightly) thought they were worth less.

So Dumervill actually wanted out of Denver, yes/no?
Given the collective embarrassment surrounding the fax machine nonsense, I don't think you can put much stock in what either side said after that happened. They supposedly had a deal in place which you have to assume is what they both wanted...

Dumervil wanted to get paid the most he could get.
What I'm saying is if he wanted to stay in Denver, why not the next day go to the stadium and sign the same paperwork or bang out a new contract?
Because the Broncos had to eat a $4.9 million salary cap charge for the contract filing snafu. After that, it sounds like the Broncos were no longer able or willing to sign him for the $8 million he had verbally agreed to play for. He already was taking $4 million less by agreeing to play for $8 million.Had they resigned him for the same 1 year, $8 million, it would have cost them more against the cap (roughly $13 million total) then had they just left his contract alone ($12 million). Makes more sense now?

i wonder if this deal was in the works before the fax snafoo. :tinfoilhat:

if so, what advantage could dumerville or the ravens gotten from the resulting release?

i wonder if this deal was in the works before the fax snafoo. :tinfoilhat: if so, what advantage could dumerville or the ravens gotten from the resulting release?
Dumervil would not have been available. It could not have been pre-arranged, as he was under contract to Denver. So the benefit was they could sign him, when before he was totally off limits.Dumervil ends up playing for less money, so I am not sure what the benefit is. He did get a mult-year deal (instead of a 1 year deal), so I suppose you could say that was a plus. However, his annual average salary went from $12M in DEN to $7M in BAL.I think both sides would have been happy enough if he stayed in DEN, but the contract mishap made it nearly impossible for the Broncos to bring him back because of the salary cap hit they had to eat when they cut him.

i wonder if this deal was in the works before the fax snafoo. :tinfoilhat: if so, what advantage could dumerville or the ravens gotten from the resulting release?
Dumervil would not have been available. It could not have been pre-arranged, as he was under contract to Denver. So the benefit was they could sign him, when before he was totally off limits.Dumervil ends up playing for less money, so I am not sure what the benefit is. He did get a mult-year deal (instead of a 1 year deal), so I suppose you could say that was a plus. However, his annual average salary went from $12M in DEN to $7M in BAL.I think both sides would have been happy enough if he stayed in DEN, but the contract mishap made it nearly impossible for the Broncos to bring him back because of the salary cap hit they had to eat when they cut him.
That's not accurate. Doom's cap hit in Baltimore is $2.5m. Den could have afforded that, and from what I understand, their contract offer wad similar to Baltimores, which was similar to the original contract Elvis failed to fax back in time.No, its pretty clear that Doom is a Raven because he got butthurt that Elway had the audacity to follow through with his threat to release him if he didn't renegotiate. He would have gone back to Denver if everyone else low-balled him, but since Baltimore came through with a legit offer, he's gone.

That's not accurate. Doom's cap hit in Baltimore is $2.5m. Den could have afforded that, and from what I understand, their contract offer wad similar to Baltimores, which was similar to the original contract Elvis failed to fax back in time.No, its pretty clear that Doom is a Raven because he got butthurt that Elway had the audacity to follow through with his threat to release him if he didn't renegotiate. He would have gone back to Denver if everyone else low-balled him, but since Baltimore came through with a legit offer, he's gone.
Yes, his salary cap hit for THIS year is $2.5M, but obviously at some point it would escalate. Had the Broncos matched the Ravens offer, Dumervil would account for $7.5M against the cap ($5M in dead money and $2.5M from the new contract). But by doing that, they would have been setting themselves up for the same situation again (they would at some point want him to redo his deal and accept less money and try to clear cap room).

Yes, his salary cap hit for THIS year is $2.5M, but obviously at some point it would escalate. Had the Broncos matched the Ravens offer, Dumervil would account for $7.5M against the cap ($5M in dead money and $2.5M from the new contract). But by doing that, they would have been setting themselves up for the same situation again (they would at some point want him to redo his deal and accept less money and try to clear cap room).
From what I've read, broncos and ravens offers were nearly identical. Broncos would have back-loaded it just as easily as Baltimore. The unfaxed contract called for Elvis to count $8m vs the 2013 cap anyways. If the money was close, elvis was leaving. That's what happened.

Dumervil wanted to get paid the most he could get.
What I'm saying is if he wanted to stay in Denver, why not the next day go to the stadium and sign the same paperwork or bang out a new contract?
Because the Broncos had to eat a $4.9 million salary cap charge for the contract filing snafu. After that, it sounds like the Broncos were no longer able or willing to sign him for the $8 million he had verbally agreed to play for. He already was taking $4 million less by agreeing to play for $8 million.Had they resigned him for the same 1 year, $8 million, it would have cost them more against the cap (roughly $13 million total) then had they just left his contract alone ($12 million). Makes more sense now?
A lot, thanks.

Last I heard the Broncos were offering the same money for the first two years with similar money deferring the cap hit with a signing bonus like the ravens did. He took the money and the five year contract with incentives. From his prospective Baltimore had a better offer and he could give a finger to Denver.

Raven's fans will find out that he is over rated. Most of his sacks are against the inferior to mediocre teams in the NFL. (in his defense, when half your games are against the AFC west that kinda hard to avoid)When he does get sacks against the upper echelon teams, half of those are in garbage time. Elvis is kind of a one trick pony. He's a decent pass rusher (although he disappears for long periods of time) he is a liability in the running game.

Raven's fans will find out that he is over rated. Most of his sacks are against the inferior to mediocre teams in the NFL. (in his defense, when half your games are against the AFC west that kinda hard to avoid)When he does get sacks against the upper echelon teams, half of those are in garbage time. Elvis is kind of a one trick pony. He's a decent pass rusher (although he disappears for long periods of time) he is a liability in the running game.
He's replacing the Ravens leader in sacks who only had 15.5 sacks the past three years to Dumervil's 37.5. That's the #1 job of a 3-4 OLB. Besides, Kruger wasn't great against the run either.

Elvis Dumervil contract: Former Broncos DE took less to be with Ravens

I have the details to the five-year contract Elvis Dumervil signed with the Baltimore Ravens.

And upon closer inspection, Dumervil wasn’t fibbing when he said it wasn’t about the money.

Let’s compare the Ravens’ contract to the Broncos offer. First the Ravens:

2013: $1 million salary; $7.5 million signing bonus = $8.5 million (fully guaranteed)

2014: $1 million salary; $3.5 million option bonus (injury-only guarantee) = $4.5 million

2015: $4 million salary

2016: $4 million salary

2017: 5 million salary

TOTALS

1 year: $8.5 million

2 years: $13 million

3 years: $17 million

5 years: $26 million ($5.2 million/yr average)

Full guarantee: $8.5 million

Escalators: $7 million; incentives: $2 million

BRONCOS

2013: $5 million salary; $3 million signing bonus = $8 million (fully guaranteed)

2014: $5 million ($2 million fully guaranteed)

2015: $5 million

TOTALS

1 year: $8 million

2 years: $13 million

3 years: $18 million ($6 million/yr average)

Full guarantee; $10 million.

Escalators: At least $2 million; $1 million each of first two years with 12 sacks.

CONCLUSION:

Most agents and executives within the industry would say the Broncos offered a slightly better deal because they had more unconditional guaranteed money and a better three-year average. The escalators for both the Ravens and Broncos were built around a 12-sack season.

Moreover, don’t forget the Broncos paid Dumervil $31.2 million the previous three years; $28 million in the past two. And throughout the free-agent process, the Broncos had a better deal on the table than the Ravens in year one and two. If it was about the money, Dumervil would have signed back with the Broncos before Sunday.

This was not about the money. This was about a broken relationship between the Broncos and Dumervil, and the Ravens showering Dumervil with love.
like I said above - this is about Elvis being butthurt that Elway asked him to restructure to market value, and then proceeding with cutting him when Elvis failed to get his response in on time.

Users who are viewing this thread