What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] CSTU's Draft Strategy Review - LONG (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
I decided to post a review of my draft strategy in the HyperActive league Active conference similar to what EBF, HTF, and JAA did in their Hyper conference. The league setup is WCOFF scoring with 1 PPR for all players and we start 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 D and 3 Flex (RB, WR, TE).

The first trade I made was prior to the draft and it was to acquire the 1.09 pick. I had drawn the 1.01 pick in the draft, which I planned to use on LT, and saw that Jeff Pasquino wanted to trade his 1.09 and made this deal with him:

Cstu trades: 2.12 (24),3.01 (25), & 7.01 (73)

Fly Igglz Fly trades: 1.09 (9), 4.11 (47), & 8.11 (95)

I felt this was a reasonable to give up since I didn’t like the RB’s who would be available at #24. I also liked the picks in the 40ish range (4th round) and it didn’t bother me much to move down from #25 to #47.

My next trade was one I really didn’t expect to make. After the trade for the 1.09, Hawkeyeskin came to me asking if I’d trade the 1.01. Being a big Chargers fan I almost said no, but thought I’d see what the offer I’d get. Here’s the deal we agreed to:

Hawkeyeskin trades: 2.09, 4.07, 4.09, 7.09 and 2007 1st round pick

Tenacious D (cstu) trades: 1.01; 6.12; 10.12; 11.01; 12.12

This was a risky trade but one that I thought had enough value to make it worthwhile. It was also the start of my acquiring of 2007 1st round picks. I had planned to takes Kevin Jones with the 2.09 I had just acquired but Peens made me an offer for it to move down:

Cstu trades: 2.09

Peens trades: 3.09; 11.09, 2007 1st

Next, I traded down again with Jeff Pasquino giving him the 3.09 from Peens:

cstu trades: 3.09

Jeff Pasquino trades: 5.02; 14.11; 2007 1st

At this point I thought I was done trading since I had picks that I liked. However, Nightshift made me an offer to trade down again for the 5.02 acquired from Jeff Pasquino:

Steel Insane (Nightshift) trades: 6.09; 2007 1st, Cstu trades: 5.02

I made one last trade down:

Cstu trades: 7.09; 11.09, WhoDat trades: 9.05; 12.08; 2007 1st

After all that, I eventually ended up with the 4.07, 4.09, 6.09 and four 2007 1st round picks for the 1.01. Even I’m not sure how I made out overall and much of it will depend on what I get in the draft next year.

Ok, time to start the draft:

1.09 - Steven Jackson, RB – I traded for this pick since there were 9 RB’s I liked and would have been happy with any of them. I was particularly happy to get Jackson since he’s the youngest non-rookie RB and a great fit in PPR.

(5 out of the next 7 picks here and the core of my draft)

(no 2nd and 3rd round picks)

4.07 - Thomas Jones – I really expected one or two of the top 5 rookie RB’s to be here so I had to go with the best RB available. His situation is ok for this year and that’s mostly what I need with the draft picks I have next year.

4.09 - Deuce McAllister – Another RB with a bad long-term situation, but I think he can hold off Bush well enough this year to put up solid stats. I’ll probably use Deuce or TJ on a matchup basis.

4.11 - Carson Palmer – this is a pick I’m still not sure about in hindsight, but I think he’ll come back 100% eventually and felt he was worth grabbing here since I didn’t pick again until round 6. This was very close to being Eli since I planned to take Eli, Shockey, and Burress, but Burress when right before me.

4.12 - Jeremy Shockey – I needed to grab a TE here and I had Shockey rated #2 behind Gates. He’s young with a good young QB and should be solid as long as he stays healthy.

5.01 - Lee Evans – I needed a WR and had a very hard time choosing Evans over Santana Moss, but I’m not a big fan of Moss and Evans seems like he’s just about to break out. This is one of those pick where you go with your gut and hope for the best, probably not the smart move but I didn’t feel right going the other way.

6.09 - Ben Roethlisberger – Having drafted Palmer, who might not be ready to start the season, I wanted to make sure I had a solid starter. I also like Ben’s upside considering how well he has done his first two years. The offense will always be limiting, but I think he’ll get more chances to throw and be good for around top 10 every year. Little downside to this guy.

(3 picks in a row here)

8.11 - Antonio Bryant – At this point I needed some WR’s and I like what Bryant has done with poor QB play. He was brought in to be the #1 WR and has the potential to put up good numbers if Smith gets it together.

8.12 - Troy Williamson – One of my guys and I thought this was a good place to grab him. He’s very talented and has a year of getting used to the NFL behind him. I liked him better than any of the rookies or the WR’s who were left.

9.01 - Chris Brown – Why not grab a 3rd RB who is expected to lose his job to a rookie? At this point, Brown was value at a position dwindling in talent. I realized that my RB’s will need an overhaul next year, so I decided to just go with a player who should be the starter to begin the season and hope for the best.

9.05 - Philip Rivers – this is the guy I wanted and I reached a little to get him. Rivers is in a great position to succeed and I think he’ll do well. A homer pick since I basically traded away LT and wanted a Charger on my team.

(no 10th and 11th round picks)

12.08 - Cedric Houston – I’ve liked Houston since watching him in the Senior Bowl last year. He’s in a great situation to take over for Martin and was worth a pick here.

13.01 - Mewelde Moore – I do think Chester Taylor will do well with the Vikings, but Moore is almost his twin and could do well if Taylor is injured. He’s also young and could be traded somewhere to be a starter.

14.11 - Isaac Bruce – I loved getting Bruce here since I think he has at least a couple good years left and he’s the first veteran WR on my team. He will be a weekly starter for me.

14.12 - Vincent Jackson – Homer pick and I think Jackson is in a great situation and has chemistry with Rivers.

15.01 - Carolina Panthers – I had the Panthers as the #1 defense in this league because the defense scoring is skewed towards INT’s (2 points for INTand 1 for sacks) and they have a great secondary.

16.12 - Brandon Marshall ® - Interesting pick for me since I wasn’t interested in drafting rookies, but at this spot I thought I’d take a chance. I almost took DD’s backup Vernand Morency, but since he is actually older than DD I just didn’t see him taking the job away from him.

17.01 - Ashley Lelie – Bit of a wild card pick hoping Lelie goes to another team and maybe figured out how to be a reliable WR. Probably a waste, but he’s experienced and has plenty of talent

18.12 - Reggie Williams – Another 1st round disappointment so far, but he’s still only 23 and 4 years younger than Wilford. These picks are sort of like throwing out a bunch of bait hoping to catch something.

19.01 - Travis Henry – Henry is sort of a joke these days but he’s still fairly young and even though he’s expected to be the 3rd string RB, anything can happen.

20.12 - Brandon Stokely – Like with Bruce, Stokely is a guy I was very happy to get. I don’t expect a lot as long as Harrison and Wayne are healthy, but there’s always that chance.

21.01 - William Green – only hoping for a trade here, preferably to the Broncos. He has talent, but he’ll either be traded and do something this year or be dropped from my team.

22.12 - Mike Hass ® - He’s a guy I like and is as sure-handed as it gets. Good friends with Reggie Bush who actually put in a good word for the Saints to draft him.

23.01 - Minnesota Vikings – I like their secondary and they seem to be an up and coming defense.

24.12 - Bubba Franks - I wanted a 2nd TE and was surprised he was still around. He's only 28 and if he can stay healthy he should be able to put up good numbers with Favre back and Walker traded.

25.01 - Mike Nugent - More of a pick for the future since at the top kickers were gone. He's got the leg so if the Jets offense picks up this year he can put up middle of the road fantasy and maybe an occasional 50 yarder.

My team:

QB

4.11 - Carson Palmer

6.09 - Ben Roethlisberger

9.05 - Philip Rivers

RB

1.09 - Steven Jackson

4.07 - Thomas Jones

4.09 - Deuce McAllister

9.01 - Chris Brown

12.08 - Cedric Houston

13.01 - Mewelde Moore

19.01 - Travis Henry

21.01 - William Green

WR

5.01 - Lee Evans

8.11 - Antonio Bryant

8.12 - Troy Williamson

14.11 - Isaac Bruce

14.12 - Vincent Jackson

16.12 - Brandon Marshall ®

17.01 - Ashley Lelie

18.12 - Reggie Williams

20.12 - Brandon Stokely

22.12 - Mike Hass ®

TE

4.12 - Jeremy Shockey

24.12 - Bubba Franks

K

25.01 - Mike Nugent

D

15.01 - Carolina Panthers

23.01 - Minnesota Vikings

+5 extra 2007 1st round picks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like the team. :confused:

I think some people get a little trade happy and think they are benefiting their team by making a ton of trades, but I think your team would have been a lot stronger getting Tomlinson or LJ at 1.01, then taking best available RB and WR with the 2.12, 3.01.

You team looks very average, but maybe it's just me. With 4 picks in the 4th, you were taking left over scraps at RB and din't even draft a WR. You should have gotten your 2 RB's then went WR/WR and waited on QB and TE later in the draft. I think you gimped your WR's. :confused:

Good read though.

Thanks.

After all that, I eventually ended up with the 4.07, 4.09, 6.09 and four 2007 1st round picks for the 1.01.  Even I’m not sure how I made out overall and much of it will depend on what I get in the draft next year. 
That's what we call theft.Think about it. What is LaDainian Tomlinson really worth? He's a great player, but he only gives you a 5-6 point/week advantage at one starting position. That's not really that great. Drafting Shockey immediately makes up for about half of that number. I'm not a big fan of the Deuce or TJ picks, but I love the Palmer and Roethlisberger picks. In a dynasty, there's no doubt in my mind that the trio of Palmer, Roethlisberger, and Shockey is worth much more than LaDainian Tomlinson. Factor in six first round picks and this is highway robbery. You won't hit with all six of those picks, but you should be able to land one or two stars and maybe another one or two solid performers. You almost acquired an entire team for one player. It may take a while to pay dividends, but if you're patient then you're going to come out smelling like roses.

I think some people get a little trade happy and think they are benefiting their team by making a ton of trades, but I think your team would have been a lot stronger getting Tomlinson or LJ at 1.01, then taking best available RB and WR with the 2.12, 3.01.

You team looks very average, but maybe it's just me. With 4 picks in the 4th, you were taking left over scraps at RB and din't even draft a WR. You should have gotten your 2 RB's then went WR/WR and waited on QB and TE later in the draft. I think you gimped your WR's. :confused:

Good read though.

Thanks.
You have to remember that this is a PPR league and the top WR's went quick. Yes, I could have drafted Javon Walker and Burress instead of TJ and Deuce, but with the 5 top rookie RB's taken and not much left I wanted to get two RB's who can produce this year and have somebody in case something happens to Steven Jackson. TJ and Deuce were the 27th and 28th RB's taken and either guy could end up starting somewhere else next year. Also, with all the 1st round picks I should be able to pick up a good rookie RB or two next year.

Also, I did take WR (Evans) basically in the 4th since I had three picks in a row at the 4/5 turn.

Good read though.

Thanks.
I think the part missed when looking at this team is that he has half of the picks in next year's first round of the rookie draft along with those trades. This was part of his plan. It is a risky plan, but I hand it to him for following it.

I don't like the team.   :confused:

You team looks very average, but maybe it's just me.  With 4 picks in the 4th, you were taking left over scraps at RB and din't even draft a WR.  You should have gotten your 2 RB's then went WR/WR and waited on QB and TE later in the draft.  I think you gimped your WR's.   :confused:

Good read though.

Thanks.
I think the part missed when looking at this team is that he has half of the picks in next year's first round of the rookie draft along with those trades. This was part of his plan. It is a risky plan, but I hand it to him for following it.
I dislike the idea of trading for additional future 1st rounders in an initial draft by trading down.You are essentially strengthening the team you are trading with in the short-term, thereby lessening the value of the 1st rounders you are trading for.

(In theory this assumes the trades were equal in value.....in practice, we all know trades are not equal)

Not bashing CSTU's strategy, but in theory, this should result in you strengthening others and worsening yourself.

EDIT to fix my post

The problem is that you don't know what those rookie picks are going to be worth. For all we know, it could be 1.07 through 1.12. So you are looking at drafting QB's, WR's and taking a chance on the left over RB's. Your WR's aren't that great to begin with, and now you will draft some rookie WR's that will take time to develop. Now if this was an IDP league I might be singing a different song.

IMO I think you can draft a solid team no matter what slot you draft from without going trade crazy, and you traded out of the most desirable position, the 1.01.

Oh btw, please tell the Peens to get his ### back over to SNAFFL.

TIA. :)

The problem is that you don't know what those rookie picks are going to be worth. For all we know, it could be 1.07 through 1.12. So you are looking at drafting QB's, WR's and taking a chance on the left over RB's. Your WR's aren't that great to begin with, and now you will draft some rookie WR's that will take time to develop. Now if this was an IDP league I might be singing a different song.

IMO I think you can draft a solid team no matter what slot you draft from without going trade crazy, and you traded out of the most desirable position, the 1.01.

Oh btw, please tell the Peens to get his ### back over to SNAFFL.

TIA. :)
Obviously that's worst case scenario and I'd be kicking myself if it happened but the likelyhood is very low. Even if the picks I have are of solid teams, things happen and a couple of them could end up as top 5 picks.

Good read though.

Thanks.
I dislike the idea of trading for additional future 1st rounders in an initial draft by trading down.You are essentially strengthening the team you are trading with in the short-term, thereby lessening the value of the 1st rounders you are trading for.

(In theory this assumes the trades were equal in value.....in practice, we all know trades are not equal)

Not bashing CSTU's strategy, but in theory, this should result in you strengthening others and worsening yourself.
I could have moved up in later rounds instead of trading for future picks, but the fact of the matter is that I like a lot of the players who should be coming out next year. Getting a shot at those guys was preferable to me than moving up in the draft, especially since there were guys I wanted who I thought were under the radar. I have no doubt that teams were strengthened in the short-term, but I thought I was able to draft a competitive team and have a lot of young talent who should develop by next year. There will also be people who want a certain player in the draft next year who will be willing to trade some of their established players to get their guy.

Drafting Shockey immediately makes up for about half of that number. I'm not a big fan of the Deuce or TJ picks, but I love the Palmer and Roethlisberger picks. In a dynasty, there's no doubt in my mind that the trio of Palmer, Roethlisberger, and Shockey is worth much more than LaDainian Tomlinson.
I don't agree. First of all, I assume that 1.01 was LJ, not LT. The KC RB over the past few years has been a VBD monster. For example last year, Larry Johnson outscored RB24 by about 12 PPG in MOX. That is sick. And he only started half the season.A top 3 QB is usually worth 3 PPG, and a top 3 TE is worth about the same (a little more in PPR, but then LJ is worth more in PPR too).

LJ is a solid bet to dominate Ben/Carson/Jeremy in VBD, and that's just with 1 starting position.

Of course there are issues around longetivity etc. but you don't win titles for longetivity, just for excellence in a given year.

Put it this way--in redraft nobody in their right mind would trade away LJ for a *guaranteed* top 3 QB and a *guaranteed* top 3 TE. Not even close. THere's a reason why LJ and SA owners were usually in the superbowl last year and Shockey / Palmer owners often sat at home.

Dynasty isn't redraft, but in this case I don't think the 10-year-career aspects of Palmer/Roethlisberger make a big difference. I would have stuck with 1.01 personally.

Drafting Shockey immediately makes up for about half of that number. I'm not a big fan of the Deuce or TJ picks, but I love the Palmer and Roethlisberger picks. In a dynasty, there's no doubt in my mind that the trio of Palmer, Roethlisberger, and Shockey is worth much more than LaDainian Tomlinson.
I don't agree. First of all, I assume that 1.01 was LJ, not LT. The KC RB over the past few years has been a VBD monster. For example last year, Larry Johnson outscored RB24 by about 12 PPG in MOX. That is sick. And he only started half the season.A top 3 QB is usually worth 3 PPG, and a top 3 TE is worth about the same (a little more in PPR, but then LJ is worth more in PPR too).

LJ is a solid bet to dominate Ben/Carson/Jeremy in VBD, and that's just with 1 starting position.

Of course there are issues around longetivity etc. but you don't win titles for longetivity, just for excellence in a given year.

Put it this way--in redraft nobody in their right mind would trade away LJ for a *guaranteed* top 3 QB and a *guaranteed* top 3 TE. Not even close. THere's a reason why LJ and SA owners were usually in the superbowl last year and Shockey / Palmer owners often sat at home.

Dynasty isn't redraft, but in this case I don't think the 10-year-career aspects of Palmer/Roethlisberger make a big difference. I would have stuck with 1.01 personally.
This is a start 1 RB league. Last year, the weekly average of the top 12 RBs was 20.1 points. LJ and LT both averaged 23.1 points. That's a 3 point advantage over the average RB1.The weekly average of the top 12 QBs was 18.57 points. Palmer's average was 20.0 points. That's a 1.4 point advantage over the average QB1.

The weekly average of the top 12 TEs was 11.13 points. Shockey's average was 13.3 points. That's a 2.17 point advantages over the average TE1.

The advantage that Palmer and Shockey give you adds up to 3.6 points, which is more than the 3 point advantage that LJ and LT would give you.

Obviously it's not quite as simple as that. RBs tend to go earlier in drafts, meaning it's tougher to find a quality RB starter in the late rounds than it is to find a quality QB or TE starter.

Nevertheless, I think Palmer/Roeth/Shockey clearly has more actual value than LJ or LT. This is especially true when you consider that RBs tend to be injury prone and have short careers.

As far as the KC situation goes, who says things are going to stay the same? Edwards is definitely a run-first coach, but Kansas City's offensive nucleus is extremely old. Fast forward a year or two and you could be looking at a team in shambles, rendering LJ another Kevin Jones or Willis McGahee.

Good read bud. It is boom or bust. May all of those future 1st round rook picks be early ones. Onions my friend.

Oh...I am guessing that is Cutler at 9.03? Just curious to where he went.

This is a start 1 RB league. Last year, the weekly average of the top 12 RBs was 20.1 points. LJ and LT both averaged 23.1 points. That's a 3 point advantage over the average RB1.The weekly average of the top 12 QBs was 18.57 points. Palmer's average was 20.0 points. That's a 1.4 point advantage over the average QB1.

The weekly average of the top 12 TEs was 11.13 points. Shockey's average was 13.3 points. That's a 2.17 point advantages over the average TE1.

The advantage that Palmer and Shockey give you adds up to 3.6 points, which is more than the 3 point advantage that LJ and LT would give you.

Obviously it's not quite as simple as that. RBs tend to go earlier in drafts, meaning it's tougher to find a quality RB starter in the late rounds than it is to find a quality QB or TE starter.

Nevertheless, I think Palmer/Roeth/Shockey clearly has more actual value than LJ or LT. This is especially true when you consider that RBs tend to be injury prone and have short careers.

As far as the KC situation goes, who says things are going to stay the same? Edwards is definitely a run-first coach, but Kansas City's offensive nucleus is extremely old. Fast forward a year or two and you could be looking at a team in shambles, rendering LJ another Kevin Jones or Willis McGahee.
This is a start 1 RB with a flex option to start possibly 3 more league

This is a start 1 RB league. Last year, the weekly average of the top 12 RBs was 20.1 points. LJ and LT both averaged 23.1 points. That's a 3 point advantage over the average RB1.
This is misleading. To get the true average of points per game for LJ, you need to only count the ones he started. In the games he started, he averaged around 30 points/game using most scoring systems.

That was exactly my thinking. The chance of injury with RB's is so high that I didn't like putting all my eggs in one basket, so I looked at it as diversifying my risk. If someone loses LT or LJ then their team is likely done for the year. LT owners with Turner would be ok, but Turner cost a late 6th or early 7th pick. Essentially, I traded LT, Turner, and 3 picks in the 10-12 rounds (Holmes, Drew and Sinorice Moss) for Palmer, Shockey, Ben and 4 #1's next year.I might have made my team a little weaker this year by trading the 1.01, but with 4 #1's next year I stand a good shot at having a strong team next year.

im in a similar situation. Our league draft is in 2 weeks and Ive done a ton of trading. Like you I have 5 future 1st rounders. Here are my picks(as of now)

any suggestions on how i should draft, this is a non ppr, with regular scoring, starting 1qb 2rbs 3wrs 1te 1flex 1k 1d

anybody's help id appreciate.

Here's an update after year 1 to see how the strategy is going and to help those thinking about doing something similar...

First of all, I finished 7-5 and barely missed the playoffs. It was in fact the team that ended up with LT who won the league (JohnnyU) so that left a sour taste in my mouth having basically traded him away. On the positive side I ended up with the 4,5,6,8,10 and 11 picks in the draft from the trading last year (6th pick was mine).

I made some good as well as poor moves last year. The worst was dropping Henry well before the season since I never expected him to win the starting job and then not taking a trade to get him back for Williamson. I did however pick up Cotchery who was a huge help to my WR deficient team.

Trades I've made this offseason:

Gave up Baskett for BMW

Gave up Deuce and the 1.04 for Alexander

Gave up 1.10 and 1.11 for Chad Jackson, 2.05 and a 2008 1st

Gave up Lelie, 3rd and 4th for Maurice Morris

Gave up Thomas Jones for Chester Taylor

Gave up 1.06 for a 2008 1st

Gave up Cotchery and Bruce for Ahman Green

I still have the 1.05 (Meachem), 1.08 (M. Bush) and 2.05 (traded down to 2.11 for A. Pittman) picks.

NOW...would I do the same strategy again? Probably not knowing the season LT had and the likelihood of getting deep into the playoffs just with him alone. That said I think it possible to build a very solid dynasty team with good long-term outlook by trading down in an initial draft.

To anyone thinking about trading the top pick, it's a tough decision. A lot of it comes down to how risk-averse you are and you willingness to work with other owners to get the most out of your picks. It's certainly a strategy that will take 2+ years to find out if it is successful, but it does give you a chance to hit it big in rookie drafts even if your initial draft doesn't work out very well.

Current roster:

QB: Palmers, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Clemens

RB: Steven Jackson, Alexander, Ahman Green, Chester Taylor, C.Brown, M.Morris, Pittman ®, Hunt ®

WR: Evans, V.Jackson, B.Marshall, Bryant, Chad Jackson, BMW, Williamson, Reg.Williams, Meachem ®

TE: Shockey

K: Elam

After all my trading, what I had now for the 1.01 (LT):

Alexander

Chester Taylor

Roethlisberger

Meachem

Michael Bush

Chad Jackson

+ 2 2008 1sts

I definitely did a lot of trading in the last year and had a terrible season due to a horrible start by Lee Evans and the fact that my best RB, SJax, missed a lot of year - ended up with the worst record at 3-9.

Current team:

QB: Palmer, Roethlisberger, Rivers

RB: SJax, Portis, McFadden, M. Bush, Cadillac, Chris Johnson

WR: Holt, D. Avery, Marshall, Evans, Driver, J. Nelson, S. Moss, D. Thomas, Chad Jackson, V. Jackson, Meachem, Demetrius Williams, Arman Shields

TE: Shockey, D. Keller

K: Gostkowski

D: Packers

How did the rookie draft go and what ere the trades?
Early last season - traded away Alexander + 2008 2nd (2.01) for Holt + 2008 1st (good team that hit the skids right after I made the trade and ended up with the 1.03)Traded away Ahman Green for Cadillac right after his injury

Traded away Chester Taylor for Demetrius Williams

Traded away 1.03 and 1.13 for Portis and S. Moss

Traded away 3.01 and 3.07 for Driver

Link to the draft

I have seen nothing here that this was a successful approach in the end. Even though I like the idea, this one did not work for lots of reasons

Your original draft other than Stephon Jackson Brandon Marshall was weak. Draftiing 3 QB's in my mind was a mistake in the end. Palmer being the biggest one or that you have not traded any of them. You have shown that taking the WR's instead of the RB's in the 4th was huge mistake in PPR also. RB's die a quick death in FF. Looking back at the LT deal and you lost severely. Picking up Alexander on the down and the only good player is Big Ben and he is not something you needed with the other 2 QB's.

Your team is looking good now but not because of the original idea because of good deals you have made with owners. Even though you lost alot also along the way.

IN the end I like this idea but dont go RB in the end if attempting it. RB is the easiest thing to get in the rookie draft IMO. Go with the WR's like Burress instead.

Users who are viewing this thread