What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty League Reset - Has anyone tried? (1 Viewer)

seems unfair to the team that was able to build a "dynasty" in a dynasty league.
It is unfair to that team.  The reasoning behind (from what I gathered from the other post description) is that the league wanted to avoid imbalance in power where one team dominates all others.  A three peat kind of shows an imbalance so although it is unfair to the 3-peat team it does remove the possible imbalance by starting over. 

It was just what that league was concerned with.  If all owners know about it and are ok with it it's part of the cost of putting together a great team in that league.

It is unfair to that team.  The reasoning behind (from what I gathered from the other post description) is that the league wanted to avoid imbalance in power where one team dominates all others.  A three peat kind of shows an imbalance so although it is unfair to the 3-peat team it does remove the possible imbalance by starting over. 

It was just what that league was concerned with.  If all owners know about it and are ok with it it's part of the cost of putting together a great team in that league.
Then play keeper instead of dynasty.  Reset kind of defeats the purpose of dynasty.  Or better yet, play redraft.

Then play keeper instead of dynasty.  Reset kind of defeats the purpose of dynasty.  Or better yet, play redraft.
I get it.  Just different preferences.  I am not in a league like that.  It seems like an interesting way to get chances at a reset but as I have found out I am in the minority when it comes to wanting to reset a dynasty league at some point down the road. 

Introduce a mechanism to create some forced roster turnover without blowing the whole thing up
This is what I was going to add in. 10 years ago I really thought that contract leagues, salary caps, and auctions would be much more prevalent by now in dynasty. There's no longer an excuse about the technology not being able to handle it.

This is what I was going to add in. 10 years ago I really thought that contract leagues, salary caps, and auctions would be much more prevalent by now in dynasty. There's no longer an excuse about the technology not being able to handle it.
This is a contract league with a salary cap.  The purpose of the reset would not be for player turnover.  It is for the opportunity of another start up draft having more knowledge to league workings after being in place for 15 years.

I know its easier to just start a new league and that seems to be the prevalent view for most dynasty players (which it totally understandable).  

I think the idea is interesting and don't mind the random reset.  Seems like I am on an island with that though. 

ETA:  For me I don't really want another league and that might be why I don't have an issue with this while most of you seem to just be fine with joining another league to get the start up experience.
1st of all, I am not a fan of your idea, as proposed. However, I understand the wanting to shake it up feeling.

A possible idea would be, put an end date on the current league. 3,4,5 years, whatever. At the same time, have a new startup, and that way, it doesnt completely screw teams in the other league, scratches the startup/new thing itch, and makes the not wanting to be in multiple leagues less bad. Thoughts?

*if this was proposed already, sorry. only read so far before replying

Last edited by a moderator:
1st of all, I am not a fan of your idea, as proposed. However, I understand the wanting to shake it up feeling.

A possible idea would be, put an end date on the current league. 3,4,5 years, whatever. At the same time, have a new startup, and that way, it doesnt completely screw teams in the other league, scratches the startup/new thing itch, and makes the not wanting to be in multiple leagues less bad. Thoughts?

*if this was proposed already, sorry. only read so far before replying
This would lead to a lame duck year or two which is the biggest thing I was hoping to avoid.  I also don't see this as being any different than just stopping one league and starting another.  That is the idea I am trying to accomplish but without a hard stop so that there isn't a lame duck year. 

I know, it's a strange idea.  I seem to be a loner on this island.  Hahhaaha

This would lead to a lame duck year or two which is the biggest thing I was hoping to avoid.  I also don't see this as being any different than just stopping one league and starting another.  That is the idea I am trying to accomplish but without a hard stop so that there isn't a lame duck year. 

I know, it's a strange idea.  I seem to be a loner on this island.  Hahhaaha
Sounds like you should just find an owner to replace you and leave that league. Then join another *shrugs*

Sounds like you should just find an owner to replace you and leave that league. Then join another *shrugs*
Definitely the easiest way to go.  I am just surprised that there is so little desire to have a league reset after 10-15 years of playing.  

(Yes, I understand the point of dynasty but I don't think that changes much if you were to reset ever 10-15 years).  

Definitely the easiest way to go.  I am just surprised that there is so little desire to have a league reset after 10-15 years of playing.  

(Yes, I understand the point of dynasty but I don't think that changes much if you were to reset ever 10-15 years).  
How can you argue it doesnt change much? If it doesnt change much, then why do you want to reset?

How can you argue it doesnt change much? If it doesnt change much, then why do you want to reset?
I only want a reset to do a startup draft again knowing how the league evolved.  I think after 10-15 years of building/maintaining things get a bit stale.  Shuffle up and re-deal with what everyone has learned.  

It is a change in so far that you get a new team but you still are trying to build and keep a franchise.  That doesn't change.  You are not going to redraft every year.  

Users who are viewing this thread