What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Marcus Lattimore value (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
So, good news comes out on Lattimore today. Seems like he is really killing it in his recovery and would be eligible to play for the 9ers free missing the first 6 games on PUP. Where does this place him in the pecking order of this rookie Rb class for dynasty purposes? What are the sharks thinking?

Out of these RBS who would you draft Lattimore before in a dynasty league:

Lacy

Bernard

L bell

M ball

Z Stacey

Last edited by a moderator:
I have moved into the 1.8 and 1.9 draft slots. I plan on drafting him and christine. I feel both of them will have much better careers than ball, stacey, and bell. Lynch and Gore both have alot of tread on there tires and both teams have awesome offensive lines. It is probably one of the best places they could have gone. Give them a year or two to settle in and they should be money. both are extremely talented RBs if lattimore cabn get over his injury and christine grows up I see both being top 10 within 3 years

Ok so sounds like you still wouldn't draft him over lacy or Bernard, correct? I guess you'd have to be pretty ballsy to do that eh?

Why would ball vs Lattimore change between may and now? Only player value that changed was bell.

Why would ball vs Lattimore change between may and now? Only player value that changed was bell.
I feel like balls value has dropped since he has had a bad preseason. He can't pass protect and that does not bode well for his playing time with manning under center. He isn't that dynamic of a runner and can't beat out hillman or the lead role.

In may people viewed ball as a bell cow for the broncos in 2013. Not so anymore. There is even talk of Moreno getting more pt than ball BC he can pass pro

I thought ball was over valued in may.

Looks like the tide has reversed as many read too much into preseason.

Buy low window may be opening...

Call this crazy but here are my rankings in tiers:

Lacy

---------

Bernard

Michael

Lattimore

Bell

Ball

Explanation:

Lacy has shown in pre-season and so far the others on the roster haven't. Also, many had him as the top talent in the draft at the position. Could be a 3 down back. Negatives: Injury history and pass first focus for GB.

Bernard has shown in camp and is clearly more talented than BGE. Might not be a true bell cow but he can catch. In my opinion, team may move to more spread looks like NE due to personnel which would fit his skill set. Negatives: Might not be a short or goal line back and may never see 300 + carries.

Michael is another in the debate for most talented back in the class and garners this ranking on that. Plus, Seattle has a run first philosophy and a franchise QB. Ahead of Lattimore because of health. Seattle is also a top team getting better. Negatives: Character and presence of Lynch.

Lattimore had sick hype. McGahee and ADP have proved that devastating injuries can be overcome. Garners this ranking on talent and ability to be a feature. Should take the torch from Gore if he recovers and other backs on roster are COPTop O line with run first mentality and a franchise QB in place. Negatives: Duh.

Bell is maybe not special but he doesn't have much comp for a job.

Ball is maybe not special and he has some comp.

Lacy

---------

Bernard

Michael

Lattimore

Bell

Ball
I don't thin that's crazy. I don't know too much about michael but I do believe that Lattimore is at the right spot on your list. 2014 will be his time in the sun and he should be the feature back for a run first offense with a great I oline and defense.

As long as he comes back to form and stay healthy (big ifs, I know) he will price to be one of the best backs in the league in that situation.

Worth the gamble IMO

Lacy

---------

Bernard

Michael

Lattimore

Bell

Ball

Explanation:

Lacy has shown in pre-season and so far the others on the roster haven't. Also, many had him as the top talent in the draft at the position. Could be a 3 down back. Negatives: Injury history and pass first focus for GB.

Bernard has shown in camp and is clearly more talented than BGE. Might not be a true bell cow but he can catch. In my opinion, team may move to more spread looks like NE due to personnel which would fit his skill set. Negatives: Might not be a short or goal line back and may never see 300 + carries.

Michael is another in the debate for most talented back in the class and garners this ranking on that. Plus, Seattle has a run first philosophy and a franchise QB. Ahead of Lattimore because of health. Seattle is also a top team getting better. Negatives: Character and presence of Lynch.

Lattimore had sick hype. McGahee and ADP have proved that devastating injuries can be overcome. Garners this ranking on talent and ability to be a feature. Should take the torch from Gore if he recovers and other backs on roster are COPTop O line with run first mentality and a franchise QB in place. Negatives: Duh.

I would put Lacy behind Bernard and Lattimore ahead of Michael.

Lacy

---------

Bernard

Michael

Lattimore

Bell

Ball

Explanation:

I would put Lacy behind Bernard and Lattimore ahead of Michael.
Obviously my list is based on upside potential and a guy being able to be a stud, not just a guy. I think in dynasty you're focusing more on talent as a player's team will build around a true talent.

I like Lacy's bellcow factor more than Gio's but you might want to take Gio for health over a long haul. Lacy's toe could create a JStew situation. I think Gio is a pretty good stud but I don't see him as a 300 carry runner.

Lattimore and Michael are a tough call but I chose Michael because he has less to come back from. Both have sick talent though.

Obviously my list is based on upside potential and a guy being able to be a stud, not just a guy. I think in dynasty you're focusing more on talent as a player's team will build around a true talent.

I like Lacy's bellcow factor more than Gio's but you might want to take Gio for health over a long haul. Lacy's toe could create a JStew situation. I think Gio is a pretty good stud but I don't see him as a 300 carry runner.

Lattimore and Michael are a tough call but I chose Michael because he has less to come back from. Both have sick talent though.
It could go either way between Lacy and Bernard - Bernard feels a bit safer to me due to Lacy's toe. I expect him to be like McCoy who can put up top 5 numbers without reaching 300 carries.

Agree about Lattimore and Michael, there's no question that Michael is immensely talented but I like Lattimore's character to overcome adversity.

So, good news comes out on Lattimore today. Seems like he is really killing it in his recovery and would be eligible to play for the 9ers free missing the first 6 games on PUP. Where does this place him in the pecking order of this rookie Rb class for dynasty purposes? What are the sharks thinking?

Lacy

Bernard

L bell

M ball

Z Stacey
Link to article/speculation he will come off PUP?

If we're talking dynasty then doesnt Randle have to be in the discussion?

With Murray having a 50/50 chance of being re-signed as a FA at end of 2013, Randle looks like he may take the David Wilson pathway to starting in 2014; he'll have to fight through the two back above him, but if Murray is vaporized from the competition...then he should be the odds on favorite next summer depending on the level of player they bring in to back-fill Murray

...RE Lattimore: we should like him and take a chance if the price is right, but he looked slower and slower as his college career went on and he has a big time injury rap sheet.

No guarantee he is any better than Dunbar. He's not David Wilson or Lamar Miller. He's a mediocre prospect with a decent short term opportunity.

I would still put Latt behind Ball/Bell/Gio/Lacy/Michael. Great story, and rooting for him, but still expecting a rocky road.

Best case scenario for Lattimore is if he can get some spot duty playing time towards the end of this season to get his feet wet in the nfl and so the 9ers know whether or not he can be the answer at RB after gore's contract is up in 2014. They will need some clarity on whether or not Lattimore has gotten his burst back and how he performs in a real game situation.

Health permitting, look for that to happen, and if it does and he impresses you are looking at the new features back for the best running team in football for 2014. By that time the ship will have sailed and it would be too costly to acquire Lattimore.

It's now as a stash for a year or never imo

Lacy

Bernard

L bell

M ball

Z Stacey
Stacy Every other back is well ahead of Lattimore.

I put Lattimore on the trade block a week ago and I haven't even gotten a single sniff. Nothing at all. He's basically trading for a draft pick at this point that you have to burn a roster spot on. Pretty dumb to draft him in retrospect.

Lattimore got picked 15th overall in my dynasty league alllowing me to pick Michaels at 16. The draft was done just prior to preseason.

I put Lattimore on the trade block a week ago and I haven't even gotten a single sniff. Nothing at all. He's basically trading for a draft pick at this point that you have to burn a roster spot on. Pretty dumb to draft him in retrospect.
I like L. James to take over at some point for the 49ers. Lattimore is a huge risk to sit on your roster for years with no production.

I like L. James to take over at some point for the 49ers. Lattimore is a huge risk to sit on your roster for years with no production.
He clogs up a spot and it isn't like Hunter is some slouch either. I really regret the pick. I am considering cutting him to be quite honest.

James averaged a little over 2 YPC in the preseason.

And Gore is still under contract in 2014, so he would have to have a bad year for any of this to play out. The 49ers have a great o-line and Gore is likely to be solid. Huge risk to take any 49ers RB. So many good ones.

And Gore is still under contract in 2014, so he would have to have a bad year for any of this to play out. The 49ers have a great o-line and Gore is likely to be solid. Huge risk to take any 49ers RB. So many good ones.
Gore isn't going to be able to play forever. He's 30 now. I don't think he's the starting back in 2014. I would think he gets used up this season.

No guarantee he is any better than Dunbar. He's not David Wilson or Lamar Miller. He's a mediocre prospect with a decent short term opportunity.

I would still put Latt behind Ball/Bell/Gio/Lacy/Michael. Great story, and rooting for him, but still expecting a rocky road.
If you say no to Randle for that reason then Lattimore shouldn't be on the list. Both James and Hunter have shown flashes and there is no guarantee he beats the out.

Lattimore is a gamble on many fronts, but if you have a pick where you don't love the other players then maybe you're willing to take that gamble. I am, but not with an early pick. Will he be healthy? Will he not be prone to re-injury after all the issues he has had already? Will he be able to beat a talented veteran out for the starting job? Will he be able to beat our the talented younger RBs for the starting job? You've got all that stacked against him, but if the answers to those questions are "yes" then you could potentially have a top 10 fantasy RB on your team.

Like I said, he's a swing for the fences gamble, and there are good times to make that gamble.

Gore isn't going to be able to play forever. He's 30 now. I don't think he's the starting back in 2014. I would think he gets used up this season.
I agree. I do not think that Gore will be the starter in 2014, but he continues to surprise year after year. They could keep working in the young guys and reduce his reps then everyone would be worthless as a fantasy play.

It is crazy how his value is all over the place. I have an open roster spot and I have thrown out so picks or players for guys like Lattimore. The Lattimore owner told me he was untouchable unless he got a top 12 back in return.

He clogs up a spot and it isn't like Hunter is some slouch either. I really regret the pick. I am considering cutting him to be quite honest.
If you drafted Lattimore in a dynasty rookie draft the only option is stash and wait. It's not the craziest idea. Everyone is so in love with Christine michael but do you think that michael will see the field in 2013 enough to be serviceable for your fantasy team if lunch stays healthy all year?

As far as I know turning is still the primary backup to lynch still.

So people who are drafting michael are drafting him on an injury prayer or 2013 and hopeful throat he win the starting job in 2014.

Aside from health (which is the significant difference BW Lattimore and michael) he is basically in the same boat as Lattimore situationally.

Lattimore is way way ahead in his rehab and the injury was not nearly as bad as originally feared when it happened. He has no nerve or cartlidge damage in his knee. So it's basically coming back from torn ligaments. After watching olayers like jamaal charles and peterson come back as string or stronger from knee ligament tears, we all now know that the surgical advancements in this area now are such that ligament years are not career ending for young players.

The 9ers did their homework on Lattimore an I'm sure that is why they chose him in the 4th round. They know its a risk by its a calculated one.

They also know that Lattimore would have been the best Rb available in the 2013 draft had it not been for the injury. So if he truly does come back to form it will be a steal for the ages.

They also drafted him with this apparent embarrassment of riches at Rb that you guys speak of in gore, hunter, and James. They passed up on talented wrs and other positions that they need help in to grab Lattimore in the 4th. If they felt that confident in hunter or James to be their future bell cow they probably wouldn't have drafted Lattimore there. Why take that risk if you've got you future Rb already on the roster?

Lattimore's style is very similar to Gore's and is a perfect fit for SF run game.

Of course it's taking a chance to draft Lattimore. I took Cordarelle Patterson with the 4th pick in my rookie draft this year, there is a risk associated with that too. There's always the probability that highly touted rookies never become anything in the NFL. You guys know the list of them...it's long.

Once lacy, bell, ball, and Bernard are gone in your rookie draft, the only one I could see drafting ahead of Lattimore would be michael and that's only BC michael is healthy.

No guarantee he is any better than Dunbar. He's not David Wilson or Lamar Miller.
Sure, he's not guaranteed that. Agree. Neither is Lattimore. And Randle is not a first round talent like Wilson either...agree there too.

But Randle will get a legit shot and maybe a start perhaps sometime in the November time-frame and we'll see what happens after he's had 6 months of practice under his belt. He could pop or he could fizzle or he could be meh. Like so many rookie that came before him, Wilson popped when he started getting his chances in November/December and now it's mostly his show because ABrad was $$$ and injury prone. That same pathway seems to be available to Randle and is worth a spot on most deep dynasty rosters.

If you drafted Lattimore in a dynasty rookie draft the only option is stash and wait. It's not the craziest idea. Everyone is so in love with Christine michael but do you think that michael will see the field in 2013 enough to be serviceable for your fantasy team if lunch stays healthy all year?

As far as I know turning is still the primary backup to lynch still.

So people who are drafting michael are drafting him on an injury prayer or 2013 and hopeful throat he win the starting job in 2014.

Aside from health (which is the significant difference BW Lattimore and michael) he is basically in the same boat as Lattimore situationally.

Lattimore is way way ahead in his rehab and the injury was not nearly as bad as originally feared when it happened. He has no nerve or cartlidge damage in his knee. So it's basically coming back from torn ligaments. After watching olayers like jamaal charles and peterson come back as string or stronger from knee ligament tears, we all now know that the surgical advancements in this area now are such that ligament years are not career ending for young players.

The 9ers did their homework on Lattimore an I'm sure that is why they chose him in the 4th round. They know its a risk by its a calculated one.

They also know that Lattimore would have been the best Rb available in the 2013 draft had it not been for the injury. So if he truly does come back to form it will be a steal for the ages.

They also drafted him with this apparent embarrassment of riches at Rb that you guys speak of in gore, hunter, and James. They passed up on talented wrs and other positions that they need help in to grab Lattimore in the 4th. If they felt that confident in hunter or James to be their future bell cow they probably wouldn't have drafted Lattimore there. Why take that risk if you've got you future Rb already on the roster?

Lattimore's style is very similar to Gore's and is a perfect fit for SF run game.

Of course it's taking a chance to draft Lattimore. I took Cordarelle Patterson with the 4th pick in my rookie draft this year, there is a risk associated with that too. There's always the probability that highly touted rookies never become anything in the NFL. You guys know the list of them...it's long.

Once lacy, bell, ball, and Bernard are gone in your rookie draft, the only one I could see drafting ahead of Lattimore would be michael and that's only BC michael is healthy.
I agree they drafted Lattimore with the intention of him being the feature back; or at least lead back.

Hunter is undersized and has the heel injury. He has some pop but he's more of a backup type.

James is very explosive but again is undersized.

Both these guys are not your typical 250+ carry, pound it between the tackles guys. Lattimore, in college, was.

I'd expect Lattimore to still be behind Gore on the depth chart for 2014 assuming Lattimore can return and nothing happens to Gore this season.

Here's the way I lay it out:

2014:

Feature Back:

1. Gore

2. Lattimore

--- Hunter/James

I'd expect Hunter/James to be involved but if Gore were to go down, Lattimore steps in for Gore. I just don't see Hunter or James as features and if Gore and Lattimore are both hurt then I see full blown RBBC.

2015:

This is Lattimore's gig ( speculatively) . Perhaps they bring back Gore on a 1 year deal if he has anything left in the tank.

Hunter / James in picture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm projecting Lattimore as the questioned (can he be Mcgahee?) , unquestioned feature in 2015 for a franchise that is super adept at running the football and is geared toward long term success with the existing talent base, coaching, and front office.

I'm projecting Lattimore, assuming he is healthy, to be a RB 1.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Factors still determining my projection on his upside that I'd love to hear you guys chime in on:

1. Goal Line carries: Will C.K.'s running prowess limit TD potential?

2. Will he be strong enough for 250 carries? In the past I would have said yes, as he's a bellcow type, but will his health limit him? Over/Under 250 carries in 2015?

3. Pass Catching: Is he a threat in this area that he will catch passes on first and second down? Will he be taken out on third down passing situations in favore of Hunter or James?

4. If healthy, I see Lattimore as a feature. What kind of development do we see from Hunter and James? Do they limit him to later RB1 production?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lot of variance in projecting Lattimore because his ceiling is so high and his floor is so low.

I don't think Gore survives his cap number next season. They need a lot of money to extend some players namely Kaepernick.

Beerguzzler said:
I don't think Gore survives his cap number next season. They need a lot of money to extend some players namely Kaepernick.
This is true. Gore's contract was not Drew's best work. Gore will be an easy cut next year, although I wouldn't rule out him returning at a low rate if he's productive this year.

It is crazy how his value is all over the place. I have an open roster spot and I have thrown out so picks or players for guys like Lattimore. The Lattimore owner told me he was untouchable unless he got a top 12 back in return.
I own him in every league but that's crazy. I value him as a middle-late 1st in next year's draft.

Beerguzzler said:
This is true. Gore's contract was not Drew's best work. Gore will be an easy cut next year, although I wouldn't rule out him returning at a low rate if he's productive this year.
It looks like a great contract for the 49ers - they got 3 years out of him for $5.5M a year and can cut him next year with no cap hit.

Willis McGahee had a solid career. That said, I never thought he ever looked like the player he was at Miami in the NFL. I predict Lattimore will have the same type of solid if unspectacular career arc.

Willis McGahee had a solid career. That said, I never thought he ever looked like the player he was at Miami in the NFL. I predict Lattimore will have the same type of solid if unspectacular career arc.
You may be right but the #1 back in S.F. has produced very well. Maybe he's not A.D.P. but he doesn't have to be. Besides, McGahee was a top back for fantasy.

Day-before- Labor Day Draft:

12 team, 6 man keeper/dynasty. Had our rookie/thrown back vet draft today. --- Got Lattimore at 3.05.

What's up with the low dynasty rankings for Lattimore? I realize he's had some terrible injuries but the 49ers believe in him and there's not much standing in his way for a starting job in great RB offense.

I understand not having him in the top 30 but not ranking him above proven bums like McFadden and Stewart, who are already 27 - over 4 years older than Lattimore.

Do people truly value him less than a 28 year old Joique Bell or a 29 year old MJD? :confused:

What's up with the low dynasty rankings for Lattimore? I realize he's had some terrible injuries but the 49ers believe in him and there's not much standing in his way for a starting job in great RB offense.

I understand not having him in the top 30 but not ranking him above proven bums like McFadden and Stewart, who are already 27 - over 4 years older than Lattimore.

Do people truly value him less than a 28 year old Joique Bell or a 29 year old MJD? :confused:
You are undervaluing Hunter.

Check post 37 for a timeline abstract I wrote on Lattimore. http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=687071&p=15870043 Very interested in this guy, a great target, so if you want to get the ball rolling, go.

Also, James has showed very little so far in his career and I remember a speculative rumor he was on the block a while back so with the picks the 9ers have I could see them drafting a mid to late round back to compete or displace James who's primary contribution has come on special teams.

That's the only difference I see in that abstract so far. Gore is slowing down and expensive plus not signed past 2014. Plus, their backs are against the wall with paying all their talent and maybe reupping Kaep for 18M a year. They may have to go very cheap at the position and if they do I could even see them jumping semi high in the 2014 2015 draft to compete for the feature and/or to platoon with Lattimore who they probably shouldn't trust 100% to be a bellcow given his injury history.

However, the scenario of Lattimore being the #1 back in the run haven of SF in 2014 is a possibilty indeed. Like, like, like. I want to be invested in that train before it leaves the station and get the sick value. How bout you?

I like Hunter plenty but I see his upside ceiling as at most a 1A type of back given his size, injury, and lack of elite talent. I'm not saying he can't or won't be a 225-250 type back for a stop gap year or two but teams want a stud at any position and I see more stud potential in Lattimore than Hunter. He certainly was the stud of college football his freshman year. He was named the top freshman as a true freshman. Really sad that we maybe won't have gotten to see a HOF type of guy in the NFL. Still, we're looking at a McGahee type career trajectory as a ceiling perhaps. Elite blue chip that went on to have a very solid career.

Thing about it is, with the success of SF as a team, their run based offense with a studly O line, and a great coach and front office, it won't take elite performance even from their feature back to throw up stud FF numbers. This is where the appeal comes from Lattimore in dynasty. In my opinion, he's a SICK value right now given his ADP in dynasty. Look forward past 2013 and there is tantalizing upside for sure.

Let's play a game for a moment, willing suspension of disbelief. How bout we imagine Lattimore generally remains healthy and performs like a young, post injury and recuperation Willis McGahee for SF.

2014 is Gore's year but due to age, salary, diminishing skills, career ending injury, or outright retirement, is not back for 2015.

Lattimore is NOT his freshman year self but let's say he's 85% of his prime to give a number.

Now, look over the NFL briefly and rank the backs you'd take ahead of him for fantasy.

Projection, it's what we do.

Foresight, it's what dynasty is about. Everyone wants their team to be like the real life Walsh era 49ers.

I like Hunter plenty but I see his upside ceiling as at most a 1A type of back given his size, injury, and lack of elite talent. I'm not saying he can't or won't be a 225-250 type back for a stop gap year or two but teams want a stud at any position and I see more stud potential in Lattimore than Hunter. He certainly was the stud of college football his freshman year. He was named the top freshman as a true freshman. Really sad that we maybe won't have gotten to see a HOF type of guy in the NFL. Still, we're looking at a McGahee type career trajectory as a ceiling perhaps. Elite blue chip that went on to have a very solid career.

Thing about it is, with the success of SF as a team, their run based offense with a studly O line, and a great coach and front office, it won't take elite performance even from their feature back to throw up stud FF numbers. This is where the appeal comes from Lattimore in dynasty. In my opinion, he's a SICK value right now given his ADP in dynasty. Look forward past 2013 and there is tantalizing upside for sure.
I don't doubt Lattimore's upside, but Hunter isn't going anywhere and he would get most of the carries should Gore go down. Lattimore's value may reside more in 2016 or 2017 than 2014 or 2015.

Users who are viewing this thread