What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (1 Viewer)

An emerging frosh at WR at Cal is Kenny Lawler Jr. He has 5 TDs in the past two weeks, three of them on highlight-reel catches (if Cal were on anyone's highlight reel at this point). He reminds me a lot of Marvin Jones, great body control and ability to adjust to the ball.
Wow, that's a damn fine catch right there. Doesn't look the fastest in those other highlights, but definitely someone to keep an eye on with that size and WR skills.

Another True Freshman WR without eye popping statistics but who already looks the part is Stacy Coley from Miami. This play alone is all I need to see to think he's gonna be a legit NFL prospect. Catches a screen pass with his hands, makes a couple nice sharp cuts, then runs so fast he makes the defenders look like they're running in quicksand.
I love Coley. With a couple more years, hopefully he can become more consistent and improve on those early drops he had. I mentioned the other day that I'd rather roster him as a devy prospect than Morris or Duke. Didn't expect to say that at the start of the season.

Also, Xue can correct me, but I think Lawler is a redshirt freshman, so he'd be eligible for the 2015 class, just like Jameis Winston.

Is this all leading up to a point?
:goodposting:
Bump.

Xue, what were you getting at with the youtube video and the subsequent posts? Seemed like you were ready to drop a point, and never did.
The point is why are we looking for the next Adrian Peterson? There are other successful RBs in the NFL and CFB. Why aren't we looking for the next LeSean McCoy, Marshawn Lynch, Jonathan Stewart, Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jamaal Charles, and Matt Forte? Or even the next Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon?

Is this all leading up to a point?
:goodposting:
Bump.Xue, what were you getting at with the youtube video and the subsequent posts? Seemed like you were ready to drop a point, and never did.
The point is why are we looking for the next Adrian Peterson? There are other successful RBs in the NFL and CFB. Why aren't we looking for the next LeSean McCoy, Marshawn Lynch, Jonathan Stewart, Giovani Bernard, Doug Martin, Ray Rice, Maurice Jones-Drew, Jamaal Charles, and Matt Forte? Or even the next Todd Gurley or Melvin Gordon?
Gotcha! Thanks. I thought it was an extension of another conversation that I just couldn't find.You make a good point, but it's human nature to always yearn for the next BIG thing, not the next pretty big thing. And then, possibly, to see what one wants to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Dan Greenspan writes that USC sophomore RB Javorius Allen has "erupted" since former coach Lane Kiffin was dismissed.
Allen, who was buried on the depth chart and rarely played under Kiffin, has collected 268 rushing yards, 98 receiving yards and six touchdowns over the past two games. Senior RB Silas Redd has been ruled out versus Stanford on Saturday due to a right knee injury and leading rusher Tre Madden is limited by a hamstring issue, so Allen will once again be a focal point of the Trojans' offense. "He was way down there low, I promise you that," interim head coach Ed Orgeron said on an NFL.com podcast. "He had been on our service team for about two years, but you got to give Tommie Robinson credit. I had been in the meetings ever since Tommie came. He said, 'Coach, I think Buck is going to be a really good player.' He (Allen) is a great testimony to when your time comes you better step up, and he has stepped up in a tremendous fashion."

Source: NFL.com

I haven't seen any of his games and he's not playing the stiffest competition but Colorado St. Sophmore RB Kapri Bibbs has put up monster numbers the past 5 games.

He was splitting time the first 6 games and had 65 carries for 429 yards & 6 TD's. The last 5 games he's carried the full load and put up 1010 yards and 19 TD's.

220/1439/25 so far this season

Rotoworld:

The Orlando Sentinel reports FSU redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston could avoid suspension even if he is charged with a felony.
Florida State's policy is to suspended any player indefinitely if they are charged with a felony. However, language does exist in the code of conduct regarding automatic suspensions if "extraordinary circumstances" are present. No "extraordinary circumstances" were noted by the Orlando Sentinel, but that is up to the discretion of the school's administration. The language does seem vague and allows for some wiggle room. Winston has not been charged with a crime at this time.

Source: Orlando Sentinel

Rotoworld:

Florida state attorney Willie Meggs told the Tallahassee Democrat that there will be no announcement made Friday regarding FSU redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston's sexual battery case.
Meggs met with his staff on Friday. According to the Democrat, the group still needs to "determine what else must be done before deciding whether to press charges against" the Seminoles star. Meggs reportedly met with Winston's accuser on Thursday. "I'm going to try to have all of our I's dotted and T's crossed," Meggs said. "Hopefully, don't overlook anything we could do." Winston's semen was found in the alleged victim's underwear. Winston's attorney Tim Jansen claims that the sex was consensual. Meggs told ESPN.com's Mark Schlabach that a decision on whether or not to charge Winston will come Tuesday at the earliest.

Source: Tallahassee Democrat

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt writes that UCLA LB/RB freshman Myles Jack's versatility is "unbelievable."
"To have an 18-year-old player come in and play two ways, digesting plays on both offense and defense and having great success, is really something special. It shows you that Jack not only has amazing athletic ability, but also is a tough, intelligent player," Brandt wrote. The long-time talent evaluator mentioned only four players who he could remember in the last 30 years that played both ways at a level as high as Jack currently is: Stanford's Owen Marecic; Michigan's Charles Woodson; Purdue's Rod Woodson; and Purdue's Leroy Keyes. "My first evaluation of him, mainly from his games against Arizona (120 rushing yards, 1 TD) and Washington (59 rushing yards, 4 TDs), is that he's probably a better linebacker than a running back," writes Brandt.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

The Associated Press reports a decision on whether to charge Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston is not expected this week.
This means Winston will almost certainly play against Florida next weekend. Expect more information to leak out in the next few weeks. Florida State's policy has been to suspend athletes indefinitely if charged with a felony. We aren't saying Winston will or won't be charged, and these type of situations are always tricky subjects to comment on.

Source: Dan Wetzel on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Heisman trustees would determine what, if anything, happens if Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston is charged after voting ends, according to ESPN's Brett McMurphy.

McMurphy was told as much from a Heisman Trophy coordinator. This seems like new territory for the award, even though there was some questions around Cam Newton's campaign during the 2010 season. Other reports state a decision on possibly charging Winston will not occur until after the ACC Championship and Heisman ceremony.

Source: Brett McMurphy on Twitter

So with Cooper having a down year due to injuries, who are some other possible future dynasty studs at WR? Seems like most of the well known guys can declare this year. There don't seem to be any mega-studs coming down the pipeline.

So with Cooper having a down year due to injuries, who are some other possible future dynasty studs at WR? Seems like most of the well known guys can declare this year. There don't seem to be any mega-studs coming down the pipeline.
Dorial Green-Beckham?

Dorial Green-Beckham?
He's starting to flash that potential he always had, but he's always been pretty overhyped, it seems like. I wouldn't consider him a super-star prospect.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Deontay Greenberry

Mekale McKay

Jaelen Strong

Sammie Coates

Yeah not many true sophomore or freshman WRs doing much statistically this year. One guy I quite like is true freshman Stacy Coley on Miami. In the last 4 weeks, the kid has two 60+ yard TD receptions off screens and one 70+ yard TD rush. He needs to keep developing his WR skills, but his speed and YAC ability is just sick.

Yeah not many true sophomore or freshman WRs doing much statistically this year. One guy I quite like is true freshman Stacy Coley on Miami. In the last 4 weeks, the kid has two 60+ yard TD receptions off screens and one 70+ yard TD rush. He needs to keep developing his WR skills, but his speed and YAC ability is just sick.
I like Coley a lot and I'm still a big believer in Cooper. Others: DGB, Nelson Algohor, Stefon Diggs, Laquon Treadwell, Ricky Seals-Jones, and Marquez North.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Excluding the 2014-eligibles, I'm pretty underwhelmed with the WR prospects in CFB right now. Stefon Diggs is a can't-miss talent, but his lack of ideal #1 WR size may relegate him to more of a supporting role in the NFL and FF. I'm monitoring three true freshmen right now: Marquez North (Tennessee), Ricky Seals-Jones (Texas A&M), and Damore'ea Stringfellow (Washington). Interesting prospects, but there's nobody out there who has the slam dunk Blackmon or Crabtree look to me at the moment. The 2013 high school class had some promising prospects and maybe it's just going to take a few years for them to peak.

I'm shocked Treadwell is not getting more love. I've seen a couple of scouts/draftniks calling him the best WR in college already.

I've said a bit about Oregon RB Thomas Tyner here and elsewhere. Explosive back. Not the most elusive in tight quarters, but very dangerous as a one-cut slasher and has shown very surprising plus skills as a receiver.
Ran for 140 yards on 22 carries last night. I did not see the game, but apparently he looked like a beast. I will check out his carries once someone uploads the game to YouTube. He's up to 689 yards on the season at 6.3 YPC. Could be a candidate for Pac-12 OPOY in 2014 if he can stay healthy. Freakish combination of power and speed.

I'm sure Treadwell will be a high pick in most dev drafts where he's eligible. Really highly rated out of high school and he has had a pretty good debut season on the whole. Best WR in NCAA seems like a huge stretch at this point, but I think he's on everybody's 2016 short list right now.

I'm sure Treadwell will be a high pick in most dev drafts where he's eligible. Really highly rated out of high school and he has had a pretty good debut season on the whole. Best WR in NCAA seems like a huge stretch at this point, but I think he's on everybody's 2016 short list right now.
He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.

He reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin.
The low YPC is a bit of an eye sore. 8.3 yards per catch. Yikes. Isn't that about what Lache Seastrunk averages every carry? :)

That stuff can be skewed by usage though and he's only just a freshman. Merely being on the field and making any good plays at all is a pretty decent accomplishment for a true freshman WR. I can't say that any of Treadwell's game highlights have really blown me away, but he's definitely on my watch list.

find it interesting that watching today both A. Cooper and Green-Beckham have played to the hype.
Cooper has been playing with/recovering from a really tough injury (turf toe). He's already proven he can produce. In my opinion, despite the huge difference in physical profiles, DGB has a LOT more to prove than Cooper.

Who is saying this? From the games I've seen, granted only a few. He's looked like the second best WR on Ole Miss. The potential is there, but he's no where near the best WR in college football right now.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Deontay Greenberry

Mekale McKay

Jaelen Strong

Sammie Coates
I love Strong and Coates. I pimped Coates in the NCAA thread a bit and people think I'm crazy.

Who is saying this? From the games I've seen, granted only a few. He's looked like the second best WR on Ole Miss. The potential is there, but he's no where near the best WR in college football right now.
Random unnamed scout

jurb26 said:
ConnSKINS26 said:
Deontay Greenberry

Mekale McKay

Jaelen Strong

Sammie Coates
I love Strong and Coates.I pimped Coates in the NCAA thread a bit and people think I'm crazy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fUv5N7yOM

Looked at Coates a couple weeks ago and wasn't super impressed. He seems to be pretty one-dimensional. Just a deep threat. He's on my watch list, but as of right now I think he's more of a day 3 flyer type of guy than a solid top 100 prospect. Maybe next year he will get more targets and show more facets of his game.

Looked at Coates a couple weeks ago and wasn't super impressed. He seems to be pretty one-dimensional. Just a deep threat. He's on my watch list, but as of right now I think he's more of a day 3 flyer type of guy than a solid top 100 prospect. Maybe next year he will get more targets and show more facets of his game.
Just because he's been used as such and so good at it doesn't mean he limited to being a deep threat. Roddy White was a deep threat in college. Coates is somewhere between Torrey Smith and Watkins and I think he plant-and-cuts slightly better than those two. Has shown some ability to high-point and catch away from his body when needed:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8381141

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9622559

From a totals standpoint, his production isn't much, but from a percentage standpoint he's already accounting for 36% of his team's receiving yards and 35% of receiving TDs.

He's on my radar. I would not spend a top 12-14 devy pick on Coates today, but maybe he would be a candidate in a deeper draft. As of right now all of my dev leagues only have a one round dev draft, so it's hard for me to justify taking chances on guys that seem a little more volatile. I'd like to participate in some leagues that go a little deeper.

Here is my way too early 2015 WR rankings:

Legend (as of 2015 Draft): *=JR, **=rSO
  1. Amari Cooper*
  2. Deontay Greenberry*
  3. Mekale McKay*
  4. Stefon Diggs*
  5. Jaelen Strong*
  6. Sammie Coates*
  7. Kelvin Benjamin*
  8. Quinshad Davis*
  9. Martavis Bryant
  10. Ty Montgomery
  11. Dorial Green-Beckham*
  12. Nelson Agholor*
  13. Kenneth Scott*
  14. Austin Hill*
  15. Amara Darboh**
  16. Breshad Perriman*
  17. Geno Lewis**
  18. Andre Davis
  19. Kenny Lawler**
  20. Deon Long*
  21. Titus Davis
  22. Cody Latimer
  23. Antwan Goodley
  24. Kasen Williams
  25. Sterling Shepard*
  26. Leonte Carroo*
  27. Davaris Daniels*
  28. Ezell Ruffin
  29. Dres Anderson
  30. Tyler Lockett
  31. Devante Davis
  32. Willie Snead*

One guy who is eligible this year but definitely will not come out is junior running back David Cobb of the Gophers. He didn't really play at all first two years and wasn't supposed to be the starter this year but looked good in limited action early and took over as the starter. He now has 1,111 yards and 7 TDs on 219 carries for an average of 5.1 ypc. He's also caught 16 passes for another 162 yards.

He's got good size at 5-11 and 225 pounds.

I'm not saying he's going to be a stud. In fact, at this point, I'm sure he wouldn't even get drafted. But he could have an even bigger year next year, and then who knows. The Gophers' passing offense is terrible, so defenses continually load the box, but he's still produced.

He seems to me to have great vision, has produced even when hurt (like this weekend against Michigan State's top-ranked defense), breaks a lot of tackles and is faster than you think. He's very physical but is also pretty nifty in the hole, seems to make something out of nothing quite often.

He could be one of these "out of nowhere" guys next year.

Last time I "made a call" on a local guy no one had heard of was Eric Decker. :homer:

Cobb is having a big season. I haven't seen any of his actual games yet. Just some highlight runs. He looks like a decent prospect. Maybe not a top 100 pick, but he could be a candidate there with another strong season next year and should be a strong contender for day three if nothing else.

Here is my way too early 2015 WR rankings:

Legend (as of 2015 Draft): *=JR, **=rSO
  1. Amari Cooper*
  2. Deontay Greenberry*
  3. Mekale McKay*
  4. Stefon Diggs*
  5. Jaelen Strong*
  6. Sammie Coates*
  7. Kelvin Benjamin*
  8. Quinshad Davis*
  9. Martavis Bryant
  10. Ty Montgomery
  11. Dorial Green-Beckham*
  12. Nelson Agholor*
  13. Kenneth Scott*
  14. Austin Hill*
  15. Amara Darboh**
  16. Breshad Perriman*
  17. Geno Lewis**
  18. Andre Davis
  19. Kenny Lawler**
  20. Deon Long*
  21. Titus Davis
  22. Cody Latimer
  23. Antwan Goodley
  24. Kasen Williams
  25. Sterling Shepard*
  26. Leonte Carroo*
  27. Davaris Daniels*
  28. Ezell Ruffin
  29. Dres Anderson
  30. Tyler Lockett
  31. Devante Davis
  32. Willie Snead*
I would rank Goodley and Montgomery higher. Whether or not they have great football skills, they at least have the athletic ability to play in the NFL.

For all the talk of 2015 being a good dev class, I think this WR group is an obvious weakness. Looks like a really pedestrian class to me.

Montgomery has hands of stone. He should be lower, not higher. Looks like DHB/Williamson to me.

Montgomery has hands of stone. He should be lower, not higher. Looks like DHB/Williamson to me.
He's definitely not a natural receiver, but saying he has hands of stone might be a bit harsh. He had two very bad drops in the USC game. For the most part, he has been decent at catching the ball this year though. My sense is that he thinks too much and tightens up in the split second before the ball arrives. That's a bad quality and probably something that will be with him for the rest of his career, but there are some decent NFL receivers who have spotty hands. If you want to make a favorable comparison, I'd say Montgomery could end up being similar to someone like Pierre Garcon.

He's a lot stronger than Troy Williamson and probably DHB too. And while I wouldn't describe him as an elusive player, his size/speed combo makes him dangerous after the catch. He averages 31.3 yards per kickoff return, which is probably among the best in the country. He may not be a natural receiver with the ball in the air, but he's a good route runner and he knows what to do once he catches it.

I think Marqise Lee is the best WR prospect in the Pac-12, but I'd put Montgomery in the next tier with names like Richardson, Strong, and Cooks. He can be a 2nd-3rd round pick in the draft when he comes out (most likely 2015). He is definitely a better athlete than football player, so expect him to be one of those guys who looks lost early in his career before settling down and finding a way to contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread