What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: NON-Draft eligible College prospects (3 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

Baylor redshirt junior QB Bryce Petty told reporters he will "definitely" return to school for the 2014 season.

Many considered Petty one of the top quarterback prospects and guessed he would enter the draft if Baylor continued their undefeated streak. Petty then displayed some flaws in his game when pressured by Oklahoma State, which evaluators appreciated seeing since he was able to succeed in an offense that minimized pressure. He will enter next season as one of the top prospects at the position.

Source: Ricardo LeCompte on twitter

EBF said:
I would rank Goodley and Montgomery higher. Whether or not they have great football skills, they at least have the athletic ability to play in the NFL.For all the talk of 2015 being a good dev class, I think this WR group is an obvious weakness. Looks like a really pedestrian class to me.
They're both similar in development right now, but I prefer Montgomery because he isn't just running "go" routes most of the time. He isn't very sudden in his routes, but he shows good awareness for the soft spots in zone.

I don't think this 2015 class is "pedestrian". Most of these guys haven't played much. With most of the top producers being Juniors and Seniors leaving in 2014, many of these unknowns will break out.

This is how good the 2015 RB class could be:

Legend (as of 2015 Draft): *=JR, **=rSO
  1. Todd Gurley*
  2. Mike Davis*
  3. Kenyan Drake*
  4. Karlos Williams
  5. Jay Ajayi*
  6. Duke Johnson*
  7. Keith Marshall*
  8. DJ Foster*
  9. TJ Yeldon*
  10. Javorius Allen*
  11. Tre Madden*
  12. Josh Robinson*
  13. Jonathan Williams*
  14. Trey Williams*
  15. Akeel Lynch**
  16. Tevin Coleman*
  17. David Cobb
  18. Dominique Brown
  19. Corey Grant
  20. Jeremy Langford
  21. Byron Marshall*
  22. Rod Smith
  23. Shock Linwood**
  24. Terron Ward*
  25. Travis Greene*
  26. Josh Ferguson*
  27. Paul James*
  28. Jerome Smith
  29. Imani Cross*
  30. Henry Josey

Nice to see you've come around on Gurley. He's a stud and the best RB prospect in a few years IMO. Duke seems a bit low to me. I'd place him in the top 3 behind Gurley and Davis.

Drake ahead of Yeldon will get some disapproval I'm sure, but I agree. Yeldon doesn't look as good this year as he did last IMO.

I like Madden and would move him up a few spots.

This is how good the 2015 RB class could be:

Legend (as of 2015 Draft): *=JR, **=rSO
  1. Todd Gurley*
  2. Mike Davis*
  3. Kenyan Drake*
  4. Karlos Williams
  5. Jay Ajayi*
  6. Duke Johnson*
  7. Keith Marshall*
  8. DJ Foster*
  9. TJ Yeldon*
  10. Javorius Allen*
  11. Tre Madden*
  12. Josh Robinson*
  13. Jonathan Williams*
  14. Trey Williams*
  15. Akeel Lynch**
  16. Tevin Coleman*
  17. David Cobb
  18. Dominique Brown
  19. Corey Grant
  20. Jeremy Langford
  21. Byron Marshall*
  22. Rod Smith
  23. Shock Linwood**
  24. Terron Ward*
  25. Travis Greene*
  26. Josh Ferguson*
  27. Paul James*
  28. Jerome Smith
  29. Imani Cross*
  30. Henry Josey
:hifive:

I'm not that high on the 2015 RB class right now. Gurley would be my #1. Yeldon probably still my #2.

Mike Davis and Keith Marshall have shown some flashes. Not sure I'd spend a top 10 devy pick on either player though.

Gordon going back for another year would give that group a nice boost.

Right now only two 2015 RBs are in the top 14 RBs in my all-class NCAA player rankings. Only 2 2015 WRs are in my all-class top 20 WRs as well, although guys like Goodley and Montgomery returning to school would bring that number up a bit.

I'm almost hoping Gordon returns to school. Almost. Just because I have the 1.01 rookie pick and 1.01 devy pick in one league and the only guy that looks even slightly appealing for the 1st overall devy pick right now is Winston, if he's not a rapist. And I'd kind of hate to take a QB there. If Gordon was eligible for my devy pick, I'd pull the trigger with a lot more confidence, and have my 1.01 rookie pick for someone else.

It's all selfish, just kind of thinking out loud.

Nice to see you've come around on Gurley. He's a stud and the best RB prospect in a few years IMO. Duke seems a bit low to me. I'd place him in the top 3 behind Gurley and Davis.

Drake ahead of Yeldon will get some disapproval I'm sure, but I agree. Yeldon doesn't look as good this year as he did last IMO.

I like Madden and would move him up a few spots.
I've always had Gurley #1. I just think a few guys behind him are closer than most think.

I'm very high on Drake. He's the closest thing to LeSean McCoy I've seen in terms of build and quickness, cutting, and the stutter step. Runs with great forward lean and pad level for someone built like a WR. Also, has some bow-leggedness in him.

Duke, Marshall, and Foster are my top "all-purpose" (dislike the term COP) backs. Though, Duke looks like he has the build to be a feature back. Marshall looks thin in the lower body and he might always be banged up like a Felix Jones. Foster is a better version of Ka'Deem Carey and looks more explosive than Grice.

Yeldon looks great in pass protection, is very shifty, and has good burst, but I just feel he might end up being uninspiring in the NFL. He looks uncoordinated at times, especially when he gets tackled. Flails his arms a lot. Doesn't show great effort to catch passes away from his frame.

Between Madden and Allen, I prefer Allen. Looks like the more explosive one in that duo. Both have great hands though.

I'm almost hoping Gordon returns to school. Almost. Just because I have the 1.01 rookie pick and 1.01 devy pick in one league and the only guy that looks even slightly appealing for the 1st overall devy pick right now is Winston, if he's not a rapist. And I'd kind of hate to take a QB there. If Gordon was eligible for my devy pick, I'd pull the trigger with a lot more confidence, and have my 1.01 rookie pick for someone else.

Gurley?

Gurley?
Taken last year. Along with Yeldon, Duke Johnson, and Cooper.

I put together a game reel for Thomas Tyner vs. Oregon State. The quality is piss poor because the only version of the game up on YouTube is also super low res. It should still be enough to get a decent look at his skill set. I've talked a bit about this player already. He ran a 10.35 in the 100m as a high school sophomore. He was a 5 star RB prospect in the 2013 prep class. Making a big impact right away at Oregon with 689 rushing yards at 6.3 YPC. This game shows some of his strengths and weaknesses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfBXIl6zgA

Earlier in the season, the Ducks were using him on a lot of sweeps/stretch plays. Basically just handing him the ball and letting him use his speed to get around the corner. Good examples of that below:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9776729

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9742072

What was nice about the Oregon State game is that he was forced to do more grunt work with Byron Marshall out injured. Lots of inside carries and short yardage stuff. I had questions about that facet of his game given how Oregon was using him earlier in the season, but I thought he responded pretty well against Oregon State. Flashed some decent footwork behind his blockers. Broke a couple tackles. Ran with good forward lean and consistently fell forward. Oregon lists him at 201, but his trainer said he was at 210 in the offseason and the announcers this past weekend said he's 211. I believe it because he runs with some authority.

In terms of weaknesses, I think he has questionable ability in space. I've seen most of his carries this season and I can't recall too many times when he truly made a man miss in the second level of the defense. He doesn't seem to have those bouncy full speed east-west cuts in his arsenal. He's more of a north-south one cut slasher. He has good footwork behind the line of scrimmage, but when he gets into the second level he's less adept at evading. You see that occasionally in the game where he gets into space only to crash into the defenders rather than elude them. He seems to have really long legs relative to his height and while he still runs with some agility despite this (almost like Matt Forte), it pops up as a problem on screen passes or when he's asked to make really harsh cuts.

On the balance, I think he's a pretty compelling prospect though. I've looked at most of the obvious 2013 freshmen and I've yet to see anyone who's clearly and decisively better. So if you're in a dev draft with 2016 players eligible I would at least consider him as one of the top RB options. I'll also give a shout out to Khalfani Muhammad, who had a nice freshman year at Cal after being one of the top prep sprinters in the nation last year. If he can rock up his frame a bit like Jahvid Best did he could end up being a nice prospect too. Here's one of his better runs from this season:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9988538

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the 2015 RB class looks really, really good. Gurley, Tevin Coleman (kid's legit), Mike Davis, Kenyan Drake, Jay Ajayi, Karlos Williams, Duke Johnson, TJ Yeldon, Javorious Allen, and Keith Marshall all possess prototypical NFL size and have great college production, and the large majority of them have proven to be capable receivers out of the backfield as well. I think the 2015 RB class looks WAY better than the 2014 class did at this point last year, and has the potential to be one of the best RB classes in a long time.

I'll also give a shout out to Khalfani Muhammad, who had a nice freshman year at Cal after being one of the top prep sprinters in the nation last year. If he can rock up his frame a bit like Jahvid Best did he could end up being a nice prospect too. Here's one of his better runs from this season:http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9988538
I still think Brendan Bigelow is a better runner than Muhammad. Bigelow got benched after fumbling five times but he's more dynamic on the field.

I'll also give a shout out to Khalfani Muhammad, who had a nice freshman year at Cal after being one of the top prep sprinters in the nation last year. If he can rock up his frame a bit like Jahvid Best did he could end up being a nice prospect too. Here's one of his better runs from this season:http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9988538
I still think Brendan Bigelow is a better runner than Muhammad. Bigelow got benched after fumbling five times but he's more dynamic on the field.
Bigelow doesn't look as explosive as last year. Running a bit "tight". I was a big fan before the season, but I'm leaning toward Muhammad as well. For a little guy, he runs angry. If he can get up to 190, I see another Ameer Abdullah.

Rotoworld:

Florida State redshirt freshman QB Jameis Winston will not be charged by Florida police.

Florida state attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement, which confirmed a previous report by ESPN radio's. Jeff Cameron noted the accuser posted a .046 blood alcohol level and did not have any drugs in her system after the sexual assault accusation was made. Meggs added that there were several people in the room when the event occurred. Florida State will travel to Charlotte tonight for the ACC Championship game, which will be played on Saturday against Duke.

Source: Sportscenter on Twitter

Baylor's Bryce Petty leads strong senior QB class next season

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Eastern Illinois' Andrew Manley could be a "wild card" in the 2015 QB class.

Brandt does list Manley at New Mexico State, however. "He's a pro-style passer who isn't playing a lot at New Mexico State because the Aggies' system doesn't quite match his skills.," Brandt writes. "He is a strong-armed, drop-back quarterback playing on an option team." Brandt also called NC State quarterback Jacoby Brissett, a Florida transfer, a wild card in the class as well.

Source: NFL.com
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Florida junior QB Jeff Driskel could be the No. 2 senior passer behind Bryce Petty next season.

This is all under the assumption that Driskel returns from season ending knee surgery. "At 6-4, 240 pounds, he's a big guy who throws the ball well and is a very good athlete; he was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 29th round this June," Brandt writes. Our own Josh Norris thinks Driskel panics under pressure far too often, and it is an area that needs considerable improvement.

Baylor redshirt junior QB Bryce Petty reiterated he will return to school for the 2014 season.

"I will definitely be back next year," Petty told KWTX-TV. This is the second time in the last few days that Petty has declared his intention of staying. Initial expectations believed numerous non-seniors would declare, but that number has seemingly dropped in recent days.

Source: ABC News

Alright, so Winston is home free from this, whatever happened.

Time to decide, despite being a QB and thus generally devalued in most formats, how high he should go in Devy drafts. Seems like a Luck-level can't-miss prospect.

i'll give you the standard attorney answer: it depends (mainly on roster, scoring and which players are available)

if we are talking a blank canvas/league, I would have him and Mariotta a Tier above Hundley/Hogan/Hackenberg.

the "problem" is I can easily find 6-8 RBs and maybe 4 or 5 WRs that I would rather have.

side bar: last year I took Teddy at 1.12 in a 14 teamer with only one round... past on him a couple times because I (and everybody else in my league) preferred other prospects.

Xue said:
CalBear said:
EBF said:
Bigelow doesn't look as explosive as last year. Running a bit "tight". I was a big fan before the season, but I'm leaning toward Muhammad as well. For a little guy, he runs angry. If he can get up to 190, I see another Ameer Abdullah.
Here's a TD against Colorado:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9989357

I was sitting behind the play, and that lateral move he made at the 15 was amazing. Completely meaningless at that point in the game, but he's still got some oomph.

Vincesanity said:
What's a good site for dynasty leagues with Devy drafts?
You mean a good site to host them? Has to be MFL, where you can "create" players. That's how my leagues handle it.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Alright, so Winston is home free from this, whatever happened.

Time to decide, despite being a QB and thus generally devalued in most formats, how high he should go in Devy drafts. Seems like a Luck-level can't-miss prospect.
In my recent devy article, I ranked the class of '15. I had them:

1. Gurley

2. Cooper

3. Yeldon

4. Winston

5. Diggs

6. M Davis

7. Funchess

8. Drake

9. Algohor

10. Gray

You could take Winston #1 overall in certain formats (superflex, 2 QB). In other leagues he might not even justify a top 10 pick. It's going to hinge pretty heavily on your scoring system and league setup. I have trouble getting value for QBs in many of my leagues, so I would not be inclined to use a top 5 devy pick on one in most cases. Winston does look like the BPA in that class though. Certainly a better prospect relative to his position than just about anyone else at QB/RB/WR.

Yeah, that's where I'm coming from. Just relative to his position, he's a veritable slam-dunk prospect, so there's no risk really.

Devy's are such a crap shoot overall, but usually the top few give you a chance at an obvious stud. With Gurley, Yeldon, Cooper taken I don't see someone that makes me confident that I'll have a valuable asset a year or two from now--which is why I might just trade the pick if I get a good offer.

And I'm a guy who does NOT value QB's at all unless they're top-5 set and forget studs. There just aren't any guys that I see right now as great devy picks, unless Gordon goes back to school. Maybe if DGB keeps it up. He's got the pedigree, hype, athleticism, and now finally starting to have the production of a top devy pick.

NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes Florida junior QB Jeff Driskel could be the No. 2 senior passer behind Bryce Petty next season.

This is all under the assumption that Driskel returns from season ending knee surgery. "At 6-4, 240 pounds, he's a big guy who throws the ball well and is a very good athlete; he was drafted by the Boston Red Sox in the 29th round this June," Brandt writes. Our own Josh Norris thinks Driskel panics under pressure far too often, and it is an area that needs considerable improvement.

I have enormous respect for Gil Brandt.

But.

This is asinine.

Looks like DGB killed it tonight. How'd he look doing it? Is he just using his superior height/straight-line speed to beat defenses in a way that won't work in the NFL? Or is he looking good running routes and after the catch?

Looks like DGB killed it tonight. How'd he look doing it? Is he just using his superior height/straight-line speed to beat defenses in a way that won't work in the NFL? Or is he looking good running routes and after the catch?
I wouldn't say he killed, but he was good. He had a big play on a blown coverage. Showed some wheels to take it to the house but it was a loan coverage and he was wide open. He had 2 drops in the game, 1 was tough the other not so much. I like him but think he's got a lot to prove to be in the top WR of that class conversation.

How high are people on Diggs? Trying to find a slam-dunk WR in college football that isn't coming out this year, and I just can't zero in on one that I feel great about.

How high are people on Diggs? Trying to find a slam-dunk WR in college football that isn't coming out this year, and I just can't zero in on one that I feel great about.
Amari Cooper is your guy.

He's best pure talent in the 2015 WR class by some distance. He has can't-miss skills. Great quickness, speed, field vision, body control, and receiving skills. The only sticking point is that he's a relatively small guy. Probably only about 6'0" 190. The NFL is a very physical league and you just don't see a lot of WRs that size dominating over a long time frame. Can he take a hit? Can he handle physical press coverage? If you want a safe pick, I think he's very likely to become a solid contributor in the NFL. I don't see him as that Crabtree/Dez/Blackmon top 10 kind of lock though because of his small frame.

Matt Miller said on twitter tonight that Kelvin Benjamin (FSU) reminds him of Alshon Jeffery. I don't think Benjamin is draft eligible but the point is well taken. The below video reminds me of Jeffery's TD on tonight's MNF game where he was double teamed in the corner of the end zone.

Jeffery on MNF http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000295975/Alshon-jetpacks

Benjamin http://youtu.be/WsBWdiRUGAk

Matt Miller@nfldraftscout2h
Maybe Kelvin Benjamin at FSU. RT @bacox87: are there any WRs comparable to Alshon in this upcoming draft?

He's best pure talent in the 2015 WR class by some distance. He has can't-miss skills. Great quickness, speed, field vision, body control, and receiving skills. The only sticking point is that he's a relatively small guy. Probably only about 6'0" 190. The NFL is a very physical league and you just don't see a lot of WRs that size dominating over a long time frame. Can he take a hit? Can he handle physical press coverage? If you want a safe pick, I think he's very likely to become a solid contributor in the NFL. I don't see him as that Crabtree/Dez/Blackmon top 10 kind of lock though because of his small frame.
He seems to me to be a lot like Cobb. Maybe better. In the right situation, that could have massive PPR value.

He seems to me to be a lot like Cobb. Maybe better. In the right situation, that could have massive PPR value.
Plays like Steve Smith and built like Robert Woods is how I would best describe Diggs. I also like his teammate Deon Long. Not quite the same type of dynamic player, but has some serious athleticism himself.

Plays like Steve Smith and built like Robert Woods is how I would best describe Diggs. I also like his teammate Deon Long. Not quite the same type of dynamic player, but has some serious athleticism himself.
I have definitely seen him go up and come down with balls he had no business catching, especially in the endzone, and thought of Steve Smith.

Matt Miller said on twitter tonight that Kelvin Benjamin (FSU) reminds him of Alshon Jeffery. I don't think Benjamin is draft eligible but the point is well taken. The below video reminds me of Jeffery's TD on tonight's MNF game where he was double teamed in the corner of the end zone.

Jeffery on MNF http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000295975/Alshon-jetpacks

Maybe Kelvin Benjamin at FSU. RT @bacox87: are there any WRs comparable to Alshon in this upcoming draft?
Benjamin is a RS sophomore and is expected to declare, based on everything I've read.

jeter23 said:

Benjamin is a RS sophomore and is expected to declare, based on everything I've read.
As do I. I believe that he's already 23 years old. He graduated HS at 20 years old. In fact, his senior year, he wasn't allowed to play in the playoffs because Florida says you can't play after you turn 19 years and 9 months. Add 3 years since he's a RS sophomore and you get 23.

jeter23 said:

Good to know. ESPN did not note he was a redshirt.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Charles Davis believes Baylor redshirt freshman RB Shock Linwood is a LaDainian Tomlinson clone.

Linwood was the Bears third running back but saw the field for 125 carries this season, resulting 862 yards and eight touchdowns. Davis spoke to LT about Linwood, and the future hall of famer called the young runner "a legit item." Linwood is expected to see more carries next season, since Lache Seastrunk could declare for the draft.

Source: Fox Sports

jeter23 said:

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout2h

As do I. I believe that he's already 23 years old. He graduated HS at 20 years old. In fact, his senior year, he wasn't allowed to play in the playoffs because Florida says you can't play after you turn 19 years and 9 months. Add 3 years since he's a RS sophomore and you get 23.
What's his story? What held him back for two years in HS?

I have definitely seen him go up and come down with balls he had no business catching, especially in the endzone, and thought of Steve Smith.
Totally different body type. He's more of a springy, long-legged guy. Agile, but not as compact as someone like Randall Cobb in terms of body type. Even though they use him on a lot of catch-and-run plays, I think he might end up being more of a pure outside guy. I'm not sure you'd want him taking 4-5 shots over the middle every week. If I had to give one comparison, I'd say he's like Dez Bryant minus 20-30 pounds. Very similar movement and receiving skills. Just doesn't have the strength. He can go up and get the ball though:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9645931

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Vnvd0r9Sc

http://youtu.be/rk9vJy8BgXw?t=2m3s

It's kind of a shame that he isn't bigger because with more height and strength he would be a flawless prospect, but those guys are rare for a reason. He still has a chance to be a 1st rounder and I don't see him falling out of the 2nd.

You're right, I forgot about Cooper. I was being a bit self-serving as I already own Cooper in my devy league haha.
Cooper looks so ordinary this year. His effort to extend or hold on to tough catches just isn't there. Kevin Norwood has looked a lot better.

You're right, I forgot about Cooper. I was being a bit self-serving as I already own Cooper in my devy league haha.
Cooper looks so ordinary this year. His effort to extend or hold on to tough catches just isn't there. Kevin Norwood has looked a lot better.
It's definitely the injury, he'll be back next year.

Rotoworld:

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn told reporters he expects the school to throw more in 2014, thanks to the addition of JUCO WR recruit D'haquille Williams.
The Tigers are lacking boundary weapons this season, but it isn't like quarterback nick Marshall is a reliable passing threat just yet. Tre Mason might jump to the NFL, but Auburn will surely continue to rely on the ground game and utilize play action off of that next season.

Source: Ryan Black on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread