What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Marqise 'albino tiger' Lee, Patriots (4 Viewers)

Rumor was that the Browns were trying to trade into the end of the 1st, again, for a WR. Lee to them tomorrow would make that offense very exciting.

I thought he would've been a solid pick for Carolina.

Would provide a nice contrast for Cleveland working the short and intermediate routes.

Last edited by a moderator:
RotoWorld

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports USC WR Marqise Lee slipped out of the first round due to "red flags on his injured knee."
Lee played through a recurring knee injury last season for the Trojans, seeing his stock fall by the wayside after many projected him as a future top-ten or even top-five overall pick. Per Pauline, there were "whispers" Lee's condition was "worse than USC was letting on." Pauline concedes Lee should be drafted "quickly" on day two. The Browns at No. 35 look like a prime landing spot.

Marqise Lee ready to step up as Jaguars' No. 1 receiverBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

NEW YORK -- Mike Evans can learn from Vincent Jackson in Tampa Bay, and Odell Beckham will join Victor Cruz with the New York Giants, but Marqise Lee won't have the benefit of learning from an established No. 1 receiver as a Jacksonville Jaguar.

But after waiting a day longer than he hoped to be drafted as the club's second-round pick, the former Southern Cal star has no doubt he has the physical skills to be the No. 1 receiver the Jaguars have sorely lacked since ... well, perhaps Jimmy Smith, depending on how one defines a go-to pass catcher.

The only trick for Lee, he said, will be mental.

"My goal is simple. Learn the playbook as fast as possible when I get in there, so I can have the opportunity to become that receiver they're looking for," Lee said. "If I don't learn that playbook, I'll be struggling, too."

Asked if the mental adjustment is all he'll need to establish himself as the Jaguars' top wideout, he replied, "I can honestly say yes."

Stanford coach David Shaw, who was a guest analyst on NFL Network Friday, saw enough of Lee in the Pac-12 to be a believer.

"I went back and watched the 2012 film. On the 2012 film, he's a top-10, top-15 pick in my opinion. And I believe he's the same guy," said Stanford coach David Shaw told College Football 24/7. "I don't know that he was healthy all year. He didn't have the same explosion, didn't play quite as much. But when that kid's healthy he's one of the best in the country."

Jaguars GM David Caldwell indicated that first-round pick Blake Bortles would ideally sit the bench for a season before stepping in as a starter in 2015. With former Jaguars first-round pick Justin Blackmon behaving his way out of the NFL, however, Lee's learning curve will be much more sharp.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Inside Slant: NFL Draft Day 2 matches

By Kevin Seifert | ESPN.com

Excerpt:

It's true that receiver Marqise Lee had the highest drop percentage in the country last season for USC, failing to secure 8.6 percent of the catchable passes thrown his way. But, overall, Lee was a highly reliable receiver during his career.

His quarterbacks completed 69.7 percent of the throws they targeted him on, connecting for 29 touchdowns and just one interception. Every time a ball was thrown in his direction, the Trojans averaged 10.3 yards gained.

More than anything, the Jacksonville Jaguars needed a receiver they could count on to make the routine catch. Last season, Jaguars quarterbacks had a league-worst 45.4 QBR on passes thrown to receivers. That included an average of 6.8 yards per target. Lee and the Jaguars were a good match at No. 39 overall.

Jacksonville Jaguars used scouting and stats in harmony during 2014 NFL draft

Doug Farrar

Excerpt:

Marqise Lee, WR, USC — Second round, 39th overall pick

Then, it was tine to circle back and take the player who seemed to personify Jacksonville’s need to wed these seemingly disparate (to some, at least) concepts of scouting and stats.

Again, many of Jacksonville’s own metrics are proprietary and therefore confidential, but by more public measures, Lee’s 2012 season was particularly amazing. His 118 catches led the nation, his 1,721 receiving yards ranked second, his 14 touchdown catches tied for third most and he finished third in the nation with 2,683 all-purpose yards. He averaged 16.7 yards every time he touched the ball, and the average length of his 2012 touchdowns was 40.8 yards.

He had 16 plays of 40-plus yards, 11 of 50-plus yards and seven of 70-plus yards, and more than half of his 2012 receptions (63 of 118, 53.4 percent) were for first downs. He accounted for 38.2 percent of USC’s all-purpose yardage in 2012, more than any Heisman-winning wide receiver has ever enjoyed. Khan added that Lee averaged more than a first down per target through his career (10.27 yards) and that he averaged 13.28 yards per catch on third and fourth down.

So, you can see why the Jags were willing to look past a slightly disappointing 2013 season in ways other NFL teams were not.

“One of the most interesting things about Marqise in 2013 is that he had suffered a [knee] injury that doesn’t show as recurring as a major red flag on any player in the future,” Khan said. “It limited his production, and he wasn’t able to play a full slate of games, and I think when you piece it together, his 2013 season wasn’t reflective of the great player. And when he finally had a long break to recover from his injury, he went out in the final game of the season in the [Las Vegas Bowl] game against Fresno State and put up the kinds of numbers [seven catches for 118 yards and two touchdowns] you’d expect to see from him in 2012.

“For Dave, his evaluation as the general manager — based on his scouting expertise, this was an elite receiver, and from a statistical standpoint, I would concur. His drop rate increased in 2013, but his career drop rate is very low, and I don’t think the player you saw in that slate of games in 2013 is indicative of the player we drafted.”

I think a lot of these guys just make #### up half the time. Half the league is out? Must be tough to draft players if you a flag like an MCL sprain takes a top talent right off your board. Which football player hasn't ever been injured?

I was bummed after the Jags took Robinson as well in the 2nd but after considering the situation I'm not concerned about Robinson at all.

Lee is the explosive talent (despite his 4.5 40) that you want to own.

I think a lot of people have outsmarted themselves by evaluating Marqise Lee so low. He has good game tape to go along with great college production in a big time program.

If you can dunk, just dunk. Don't try a fade away jumper.

Mentioned a few times before in this thread, but I'm getting a very similar vibe to Keenan Allen.

I'm not saying Keenan Allen's come along every year, but it does seem like there are players every year, especially at the WR position, that seem to slide for poor post-season performance, especially at the combine.

He's a different type of player, but Alshon Jeffery's situation was similar. His sophomore season it was argued whether Jeffery or AJ Green was the better WR - he was legitimately in that company. Then following a disappointing junior season and poor post-season (complete with speculation about everything from his weight to his work ethic) Jeffery slides to the second round.

Last year we saw Keenan Allen put up an extremely poor post-season performance, but he was recovering from injury as well. Once healthy, he was right back to being one of the best WRs in the draft.

Sure feels pretty similar to Lee, whose 2012 had him mentioned lock-step with Watkins. I was ecstatic as a Panthers fan to see him on the board when they picked... instead they took Benjamin which literally saw me spike my phone into the floor. Feels a lot like Carolina got Brian Quick and Jacksonville snagged this year's Alshon/Allen.

Agree to an extent, but some of the flaws are legitimate. He's small and he drops passes. Those problems likely aren't going away.

Where you can draft Lee right now in Rookie drafts is incredible value. Blackmon looks like he is done as a Jaguar, they invested the future in Blake Bortles and also brought in Allen Robinson and they have Cecil Shorts to help the young guys a long. I admit he did drop alot of passes last year at USC but it is hard to ignore what he did the two years before. In 2012 he had a 118 catches and seemed to have a great connection with QB Matt Barkley. Not sure what the excuse is in 2013, QB play? nagging injuries? USC's slow team start? Thinking ahead to the NFL and lack of focus?

If Lee can develop a similar connection with Bortles that he had with Barkley at USC he has potential to rebound nicely at the NFL level. 2014 could be a little up and down as the Jaguars offense is in transition but in 2015 the prospects are rather intriguing.

I'm thinking this could play out as a situation where standard and PPR are offer greatly different values. Lee seems like a home run threat who will offer less consistent scoring but better standard scoring potential while Robinson is the opposite. Robinson looks like the more consistent move the chains type of guy who could catch more balls but score less and have less yds. Thoughts?

Rotoworld:

Marqise Lee - WR - Jaguars

Second-round pick Marqise Lee is practicing at Z receiver at Jaguars OTAs.

Justin Blackmon's old position, "Z" is wide open for Lee to take and become a rookie starter. He's got a better chance at an every-down job in year one than fellow second-rounder Allen Robinson, who is behind Cecil Shorts. The Jaguars will use Lee as their "motion" receiver, and line him up occasionally in the slot. Lee has an outside shot to flirt with WR4 fantasy value as a rookie.

Source: Yahoo Sports

Jun 1 - 2:29 PM

I normally don't like rookie receivers in re-draft, but Marqise has caused an exception. He has a good chance to begin his career in similar fashion to Keenan Allen. Of course this will help in dynasty as well, if you need an immediate starter or want to flip him.

Lee has the necessary athletic profile to succeed, plus the technical polish expected of a 3 year starter at USC. He isn't what you would call a raw prospect. Jacksonville installs a new offense this year, so Lee won't be behind his teammates in knowing his assignments. Assuming he can pick up the offense quickly, I see no reason he won't start in year one. The Jaguars certainly don't have a tons of talent standing in his way. Early reports say the team already has him slated as the starter opposite Cecil Shorts.

His passer represents a mystery, though. I prefer a decent established quarterback for receivers, but I tend to overlook concerns about lacking one. There's no sense being scared of the dark. If Lee gets on the field and gets open, like I predict, I assume the rest takes care of itself.

I normally don't like rookie receivers in re-draft, but Marqise has caused an exception. He has a good chance to begin his career in similar fashion to Keenan Allen. Of course this will help in dynasty as well, if you need an immediate starter or want to flip him.

Lee has the necessary athletic profile to succeed, plus the technical polish expected of a 3 year starter at USC. He isn't what you would call a raw prospect - he's poised to succeed early in his career. Jacksonville installs a new offense this year, so Lee won't be behind his teammates in knowing his assignments. Assuming he can pick up the offense quickly, I see no reason he won't start in year one. The Jaguars certainly don't have a tons of talent standing in his way. Early reports say the team already has him slated as the starter opposite Cecil Shorts.

His passer represents a mystery, though. I prefer a decent established quarterback for receivers, but I tend to overlook concerns about lacking one. There's no sense being scared of the dark. If Lee gets on the field and gets open, like I predict, I assume the rest takes care of itself.
Rookie wide receivers rarely make any impact in re-draft leagues. Combine that with the fact that the last half dozen USC WRs have been complete bust, and I don't think he is worth more than a last pick before your Defense and Kicker.

As for the "athletic", "polished", "poised to succeed [in NFL]" talk, I remember people saying the exact same things about Mike Williams. How did that turn out?

Lee has the necessary athletic profile to succeed, plus the technical polish expected of a 3 year starter at USC. He isn't what you would call a raw prospect - he's poised to succeed early in his career. Jacksonville installs a new offense this year, so Lee won't be behind his teammates in knowing his assignments. Assuming he can pick up the offense quickly, I see no reason he won't start in year one. The Jaguars certainly don't have a tons of talent standing in his way. Early reports say the team already has him slated as the starter opposite Cecil Shorts.

Rookie wide receivers rarely make any impact in re-draft leagues. Combine that with the fact that the last half dozen USC WRs have been complete bust, and I don't think he is worth more than a last pick before your Defense and Kicker. As for the "athletic", "polished", "poised to succeed [in NFL]" talk, I remember people saying the exact same things about Mike Williams. How did that turn out?
Woods looks like a good WR. BMW and Jarrett were big and slow, physically and athletically they don't have much in common, so their failure shouldn't be an indictment on Lee.

He does have a funky catching technique (the high drop numbers mesh with the skill deficiency), so could have upside with NFL positional coaching. Of course, doing things the wrong way for 20+ years can be ingrained in muscle memory and refractory to dramatic improvement.

Lee is dangerous and a playmaker with the ball in his hands (that's the "catch", getting it in his hands), he has been compared to Greg Jennings.

Health is the key. If he played in 2013 like he did in 2012 (and QB turnover probably contributed to part of the production and statistical drop off), he could have been a top 15-20 pick, maybe higher, which makes him an intriguing upside play. I do like Bortles eventually, which could be another positive indicator (or not, for some).

Rookie wide receivers rarely make any impact in re-draft leagues. Combine that with the fact that the last half dozen USC WRs have been complete bust, and I don't think he is worth more than a last pick before your Defense and Kicker.

As for the "athletic", "polished", "poised to succeed [in NFL]" talk, I remember people saying the exact same things about Mike Williams. How did that turn out?
Your logic leaves a lot desired, like a premature ejaculation.

Sorry, but Mike Williams, and Dwayne Jarrett have nothing to do with Marqise Lee. I would certainly listen to an argument against Lee, but it requires some information about the player in question, not other players from the same school.

I think the position flexibility of Lee being able to play all of them means he will always have a role in the offense.

I think the talk about his drops is overblown.

2011 62 yargets 47 receptions 75.8% catch rate

2012 168 targets 118 receptions 70.2% catch rate

I think he has really been overlooked. Recency bias.

Some other interesting stuff about Lee here (where I got the target data from)- http://www.footballstudyhall.com/2013/2/12/3979728/college-football-receiver-data-marqise-lee-harry-douglas

The idea behind RYPR is to figure out who were the most truly dangerous receivers in the country in a given year. (In this sense, "RYPR" is a pretty good, menacing name, huh?) It combines your yards per target data with a look at the frequency with which your team passed and the quality of the passing game as a whole. It isn't a measure of pure productivity, necessarily, but pure per-target quality. Here are the Top 10 seasons from 2005-12 according to RYPR:

1. Harry Douglas, 2006 Louisville
2. Marqise Lee, 2012 USC
3. Kendall Wright, 2011 Baylor
4. Greg Salas, 2010 Hawaii
5. Jordan White, 2011 Western Michigan
6. Alshon Jeffery, 2010 South Carolina
7. Justin Blackmon, 2010 Oklahoma State
8. Austin Collie, 2008 BYU
9. Danario Alexander, 2009 Missouri
10. Robert Meachem, 2006 Tennessee

Douglas was not as much of a name brand as Lee or Wright, but ... he averaged 18.1 yards per catch with a 69 percent catch rate on one of the nation's best passing teams that year. It is difficult to shoot that down, especially considering he was targeted a disproportionate amount of time on passing downs.

Meanwhile, here is your RYPR Top 10 for 2012:

1. Marqise Lee, USC
2. Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas
3. Terrence Williams, Baylor
4. Stedman Bailey, West Virginia
5. DeAndre Hopkins, Clemson
6. Noel Grigsby, San Jose State
7. Amari Cooper, Alabama
8. Tavarres King, Georgia
9. Justin Hunter, Tennessee
10. Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt
corrected 2011 catch rate for Lee.

Jaguars WR Marqise Lee (ankle) said he's "pretty much cleared."
Lee missed the final chunk of the offseason program due to a sprain. He'll take it slow for a few days, but is expected to be unleashed when the pads go on for the first time Sunday. Lee is penciled in as the starter opposite Cecil Shorts.

Source: jaguars.com
Jul 23 - 8:22 AM

Rotoworld:

Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell stated rookie Marqise Lee could play snaps at slot receiver with Ace Sanders on suspension.

Sanders is out four games. The Jags appear to envision Lee as a Roddy White-like movement receiver with the ability to play both Z and slot. Lee is a candidate to lead Jacksonville in receptions as a rookie. He's a WR4/5 flier.

Source: Florida Times Union

Jul 25 - 4:34 PM

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Marqise Lee is lining up "all over the field" at Jaguars camp, and OC Jedd Fisch is "finding ways to feed him the ball."

"Marqise has that speed factor," coach Gus Bradley observed. "He has a chance to break one and is extremely quick. Hes freakish in his skill set in some of the things he does." With Allen Robinson at X receiver and Cecil Shorts (hamstring) on the shelf, Lee is working as the Jags' movement Z wideout and getting reps in the slot. He's got a legitimate shot to lead the team in 2014 targets.

Jul 30 - 9:00 PM

Rotoworld:

Second-round pick Marqise Lee is lining up "all over the field" at Jaguars camp, and OC Jedd Fisch is "finding ways to feed him the ball."

"Marqise has that speed factor," coach Gus Bradley observed. "He has a chance to break one and is extremely quick. Hes freakish in his skill set in some of the things he does." With Allen Robinson at X receiver and Cecil Shorts (hamstring) on the shelf, Lee is working as the Jags' movement Z wideout and getting reps in the slot. He's got a legitimate shot to lead the team in 2014 targets.

Jul 30 - 9:00 PM

For a rookie WR who was drafted relatively high and with such a strong amount of immediate opportunity, it sure is quite on the Lee front.

Once i seen how small, light, and slow he is I don't like his chances. Not to mention his drops. Allen Robinson is the one to own on that team but i dropped him down in my rankings too because Bortles sucks ###. Sucks for Robinson and Lee.

Once i seen how small, light, and slow he is I don't like his chances. Not to mention his drops. Allen Robinson is the one to own on that team but i dropped him down in my rankings too because Bortles sucks ###. Sucks for Robinson and Lee.
Sell high after the stellar rookie year with Henne?

;)

A couple of things here. 1. Normally draft post potion is a difficult thing to argue for or against because the window is almost always open for the position of "well Player A was only drafted ahead of Player B because they happened to have the earlier pick. Player B was the top guy on their board over Player A and he would have been their choice of the 2 anyway." It's a convenient defense that may or may not ring true and can never really be proven. The issue is, the same team drafted both players in this case and they did in fact choose Lee over Robinson. It's a pretty simple conclusion that Jack in this case likes Lee more. They showed this by drafting him over Robinson.

2. Lee is currently ahead of Robinson on the depth chart and he is in line to start. Robinson is not. This is further confirmation that Lee might be better than Robinson. At the very least he is in the eyes of Jack. Currently, that is all that matter.

3. Henne is the starting QB and it's been reported that his job is safe right now. Coaches speak? Maybe. Still it's highly unlikely that Henne doesn't at least start the season. If the wheels fall off anything goes. So Bortles being the suck is basically irrelevant right now.

4. How do you know Bortles is the suck? He's a rookie and rookies will often struggle but he's not being pressed to action. Why not wait and see if he suck before penalizing him as well as the other players on the team for it?

A couple of things here.1. Normally draft post potion is a difficult thing to argue for or against because the window is almost always open for the position of "well Player A was only drafted ahead of Player B because they happened to have the earlier pick. Player B was the top guy on their board over Player A and he would have been their choice of the 2 anyway." It's a convenient defense that may or may not ring true and can never really be proven. The issue is, the same team drafted both players in this case and they did in fact choose Lee over Robinson. It's a pretty simple conclusion that Jack in this case likes Lee more. They showed this by drafting him over Robinson.

2. Lee is currently ahead of Robinson on the depth chart and he is in line to start. Robinson is not. This is further confirmation that Lee might be better than Robinson. At the very least he is in the eyes of Jack. Currently, that is all that matter.

3. Henne is the starting QB and it's been reported that his job is safe right now. Coaches speak? Maybe. Still it's highly unlikely that Henne doesn't at least start the season. If the wheels fall off anything goes. So Bortles being the suck is basically irrelevant right now.

4. How do you know Bortles is the suck? He's a rookie and rookies will often struggle but he's not being pressed to action. Why not wait and see if he suck before penalizing him as well as the other players on the team for it?
Lee is not ahead of Robinson on the depth chart. They don't play the same "position".

They may have chosen Lee ahead of Robinson because they wanted to secure a Blackmon replacement. Robinson becoming a Shorts replacement may have been secondary.

I have seen some Lee blurbs while searching for Robinson news. Generally speaking, everything I've read has been fairly positive about both players. Robinson felt some tightness in his hamstring today, so he was pulled from practice early. I don't think it's a major tear, but it's the same hamstring that gave him trouble in OTAs, so not good news all the same.

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=917300-jaguars-marqise-lee,-allen-robinson-look-good

Jacksonville Jaguars WRs Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson have looked comfortable and consistent in the early part of training camp, according to John Oehser.

Also this:

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=917491-jaguars-allen-robinson-drawing-praise

Updating a previous report, Jacksonville Jaguars WR Allen Robinson (and fellow rookie WR Marqise Lee) have seen plenty of opportunity at training camp with WR Cecil Shorts (hamstring) and WR Ace Sanders (personal) sidelined. Robinson has been showing off his size, physical nature and good heads, drawing the praise of general manager Dave Caldwell and head coach Gus Bradleye. "What I like about him are his strong hands," head coach Gus Bradley said Wednesday, July 30. "He makes catches away from his body."

Fantasy Tip: Robinson was seeing reps with the first-team offense even before Shorts went down, and he appears to be heading for a much more meaningful role than originally anticipated. Right now, consider Robinson a deep sleeper on a team with a young and inexperienced quarterback. Adding Robinson in the final rounds on draft day is a good move, but don't rely upon him as a starter, or anything close to it, just yet.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2014-07-30/story/jaguars-rookie-receivers-catching-fast-after-injury-plagued

Jaguars receivers Allen Robinson and Marqise Lee are catching plenty of passes in training camp.

The two rookies are also starting to catch a lot of compliments.

After a disappointing offseason program in which both players missed the last two weeks with injuries, Robinson and Lee have put together five solid practices to start camp.

The two second-round picks are thriving as they take on larger roles with Cecil Shorts (hamstring injury) and Ace Sanders (personal reasons) out.

The 6-foot-3, 210-pound Robinson is showing the kind of physical nature that allowed him to account for 177 catches with 2,474 yards and 17 touchdowns at Penn State. The Jaguars traded up nine spots with San Francisco to take Robinson with the 61st overall pick.

“He can take advantage of smaller corners,” Jaguars general manager Dave Caldwell said. “He uses his body really well. He catches the ball well outside his cylinder. He can run after the catch very well. When he gets the ball he usually runs North and South.”

Robinson has made several catches in traffic during camp and was able to pull down a 15-yard touchdown catch from Chad Henne on a short post route during Wednesday’s practice.

“What I like about him are his strong hands,” Jaguars coach Gus Bradley said. “He makes catches away from the body.”

Robinson has been a mainstay in getting reps with the starters even prior to Shorts’ injury. So far, he hasn’t acted like the transition to the NFL is too steep. Robinson doesn’t turn 21 until Aug. 24. Still, he isn’t focusing his spot on the depth chart.

“I can’t pay too much attention to that,” Robinson said. “I’ve got to continue to focus on my craft. This system suits my skill set well. I’m getting acclimated and keeping my head in the playbook. The main thing is just taking care of my body, so I can go out there and compete every day. I don’t want to have to take any days off.”

Jaguars cornerback Will Blackmon is entering his eighth season in the NFL. He was excited when the Jaguars took the pair on May 9 and his expectations have been met to this point.

“With Allen, he’s a great combination of that new breed of size and speed,” Blackmon said. “You say ‘OK, he’s a big, strong receiver, so he’s going to try to body me, box me out and get jump balls.’ But, at the same time, he’s able to run by you.”

Blackmon also raves about Lee, who brings a different element to the offense. Lee’s exceptional athleticism has been obvious in camp.

“Lee has just got so much raw ability,” Blackmon said. “He’s so quick and fast. He doesn’t even realize it yet. He can easily get a step on us and take off, because he’s so fast up the field.”

At Southern California, Lee caught 248 passes for 3,655 yards and 29 touchdowns. Bradley described Lee following Wednesday’s practice with a term reserved for the elite of the elite — freakish.

“Marqise has that speed factor,” Bradley said. “He has a chance to break one and is extremely quick. He’s freakish in his skill set in some of the things he does.”

The Jaguars are clearly putting Lee’s abilities to use in a versatile fashion. Lee (6-0, 192 pounds) has lined up all over the field for the Jaguars so far in camp and offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch is finding ways to feed him the ball.

Lee, the 39th overall pick in the draft, hasn’t even fully recovered from an ankle injury that caused him to miss time in June.

“It’s coming along,” Lee said. “I’m still getting treatment and rehab, but it’s coming back gradually. I’ve got to keep it strong to go through an entire season.”

Jaguars quarterback Chad Henne believes the college systems Robinson and Lee played in have aided in their rapid progression. Robinson played at Penn State under coach Bill O’Brien, who is now guiding the Houston Texans. Lee was a standout at USC under former Oakland Raiders coach Lane Kiffin, now the offensive coordinator at Alabama.

“Those offenses are pro-style offenses, which leads into the NFL and different terminology,” Henne said. “That’s what good coaching backgrounds at those colleges will do. Those coaches really benefited them.”

Lee is not ahead of Robinson on the depth chart. They don't play the same "position".

They may have chosen Lee ahead of Robinson because they wanted to secure a Blackmon replacement. Robinson becoming a Shorts replacement may have been secondary.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. Lee is ahead of him on the depth chart, regardless of the position they play. Lee is first string, Robinson second string. Maybe Robinson moves up but that's where it stands now. Jack made a decision to a place Lee in the vacated Blackmon role, the most important role in the offense for WR. They could have easily made the decision to place Robinson there had they felt he was the better player. This again seems to validate they like him more as a player.

We all know you hate Lee and I'm sure you will look for any way possible to twist this, but there really isn't a whole lot of validity to it.

I don't see a need to turn this into a Lee vs. Robinson debate. A passing game can easily support two good receivers. Their career trajectories will ultimately depend a lot more on how well they perform than on what the other WRs on the roster are doing. So I'd suggest that Lee will determine Lee's future and Robinson will determine Robinson's future. Therefore there's really no need to worry about what the other one is doing.

That being said, when a team takes a player ahead of another at his position, all it generally indicates is that they had him rated higher at one moment in time. The Saints drafted Antonio Pittman in the 4th round the same year they signed Pierre Thomas as a UDFA. Thomas outperformed Pittman in training camp and made the team. Pittman was cut. At that point, did it matter that they had Pittman rated higher in April of that year? No. What matters is how well the players perform once they're actually in the NFL environment. Draft position is a good predictor of that, but not infallible. See Arrelious Benn vs. Mike Williams and Bryant Johnson vs. Anquan Boldin for two notable examples.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. Lee is ahead of him on the depth chart, regardless of the position they play. Lee is first string, Robinson second string. Maybe Robinson moves up but that's where it stands now.Jack made a decision to a place Lee in the vacated Blackmon role, the most important role in the offense for WR. They could have easily made the decision to place Robinson there had they felt he was the better player. This again seems to validate they like him more as a player.

We all know you hate Lee and I'm sure you will look for any way possible to twist this, but there really isn't a whole lot of validity to it.
Twist? How about this? Lee gets the "easy" targets because he's less talented. He needs to be "forcefed" the ball in that offense just like Kendall Wright does. Robinson will be used more downfield because he's more talented.

Lee is first string only because Cecil Shorts doesn't play Z. There isn't anyone else talented enough to play Z over Lee. Those are facts. At X, Shorts has proven very capable that they can't just automatically hand Robinson the job there. Robinson isn't playing Z because he can do a lot more than catch 5-yard passes. Ironically, Robinson was very good on screens in college.

"The vacated Blackmon role" is the most important role in the offense for a WR because???

In the 3 complete games in 2013 that Shorts and Blackmon played together Shorts had the edge in targets: 34 to 28. Shorts left the Denver game in the 1st quarter due to injury and Blackmon got 20 total targets.

If Lee was more talented why isn't he playing outside exclusively? Let's see Lee play outside at the X and Robinson in the slot and see who's more talented.

The narrative could easily be: Robinson is first string because he plays Z. Lee has to fight Shorts because they want him at X.

I don't see a need to turn this into a Lee vs. Robinson debate. A passing game can easily support two good receivers. Their career trajectories will ultimately depend a lot more on how well they perform than on what the other WRs on the roster are doing. So I'd suggest that Lee will determine Lee's future and Robinson will determine Robinson's future. Therefore there's really no need to worry about what the other one is doing.

That being said, when a team takes a player ahead of another at his position, all it generally indicates is that they had him rated higher at one moment in time. The Saints drafted Antonio Pittman in the 4th round the same year they signed Pierre Thomas as a UDFA. Thomas outperformed Pittman in training camp and made the team. Pittman was cut. At that point, did it matter that they had Pittman rated higher in April of that year? No. What matters is how well the players perform once they're actually in the NFL environment. Draft position is a good predictor of that, but not infallible. See Arrelious Benn vs. Mike Williams and Bryant Johnson vs. Anquan Boldin for two notable examples.
My intent isn't to turn it into a Lee vs. Robinson thread. The intent was simply to point out that Lee has the better opportunity at this current time. Others have mentioned Robinson is the guy to own. That's fine if you feel that way but Lee is the guy starting and the guy it appears will get more looks out of the gate. If you feel Robinson will surpass him that's all well and good. That's not what I'm talking about. Yes, teams change their position on players once they have a more tangible NFL body of work to go off of. We don't have that yet though. We have the draft position and the early indications Jack has shown based on the OTAs and camp decisions. Right now, those decisions and the draft indicate they like Lee more.

The reason I bumped the thread is that Lee seems to be flying under the radar a great deal. He's a high 2nd round pick who is already in line for serious opportunity. That is important information as we approach fantasy drafts. Opportunity is a crucial aspect to rookies making an impact.

Yeah, Lee has a better opportunity at this time but I think you're overstating it. Robinson will get plenty of looks in 3WR sets and Lee will probably go to slot in that case.

If Shorts is out for an extended period in regular season (and that chance certainly exists given Shorts injury history). And it would not surprise me if the Jags decided not to re-sign Shorts and open the door for Robinson next year.

To me Lee is going to be the dynamic big-play receiver. Jags have already said they are goign to put Lee in motion a lot to spring him off the line with a clean release. Robinson will be the tough catch on 3rd and 8 to move the chains guy. Possession receiver has such a negative connotation that I don't want to use it for ARobinson since he can do some YAC damage himself but you get the point.

Users who are viewing this thread