What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Marqise 'albino tiger' Lee, Patriots (1 Viewer)

If you've never seen him play and only look at combine numbers I can see how you could arrive at that conclusion. Put on the OSU bowl game and tell me he isn't fast or have lateral agility.
You want people to watch Watkins career high game? Of course someone looks good in their best collegiate game. Should I refer everyone to Marqise Lee's game vs Arizona his junior season when he went 16 receptions for 345 yards then?

I think the problem, too many people have the Ohio State game stuck in their heads.
Agreed..........and I believe you can't go wrong with either Lee or Watkins they both will do great at the next level.

Lee's Zona bust out was impressive, but that was some poor defense. Regardless, this is nothing new, people each year look at combine performance and start to drastically change their opinions on players. Look at Allen last year. Take off the combine goggles.

I'm a Lee fan, but I don't think he has the ceiling of Watkins, and I don't think they're comparable. Watkins is electric. Lee is more of a smooth finese guy. That ability to score from anywhere on the field is the difference between them. Lee has also had issues staying healthy in college. His body type is somewhat scary for a guy with the inability to stay healthy. It's not going to get any easier in the NFL for him. He doesn't break tackles and seems to go down at first contact quite often. I like to see more game speed on guys who are on the shorter side. Lee's body catching tendencies are troubling as well. You rarely see Sammy do that. I think there are quite aa few things that separate the two of them.

Recency bias, I think not. There is a pretty big separation of talent between the two IMO. I can't find one thing Lee does better than Sammy, yet there are multiple things Sammy does better than Lee.

I'd say Lee is more fluid and elusive than Watkins. I agree with most of your post though.

Watkins was somewhat disappointing at the combine in the drills, but for a player with his bulk he has rare speed.

Watkins looks like a guy that can excel in any system whereas Lee might be a system guy. For instance, Watkins on the Jets could excel where Lee would hope for mediocrity. Either on the Eagles would be a beast. That said, considering the talent, what's between the ears and in the chest would probably differentiate between the top 6 or so WRs.

Watkins looks like a guy that can excel in any system whereas Lee might be a system guy. For instance, Watkins on the Jets could excel where Lee would hope for mediocrity. Either on the Eagles would be a beast. That said, considering the talent, what's between the ears and in the chest would probably differentiate between the top 6 or so WRs.
What about his game makes you say that?

Average size and strength. He may come down with a contested ball on occasion but he will benefit going to a team that gives him the ball in space.

I really liked him before the combine. I know that sounds bad but he had the most questions to answer there for me. I like his tape. Reminds me of Reggie Wayne. I think he's going to be a good/great WR but his upside will be limited because of his size. I know it's boring to say but the combine showed he's just not big enough to line up wide and impose his will on defenses. Still he's a super fluid athlete. That skill is very underrated. He's a low ceiling high floor WR. He'd be deadly playing with a true #1 like Calvin in Detroit.
Good post. To go along with this, I expected to see better (4.4X) speed given his smaller size. I was impressed at how he made a few diving catches on bad throws on combine day. His jumps were great, so he showed explosiveness for sure.

Seems like to get Lee, you would need to draft him in the 1.03 to 1.06 range of rookie dynasty drafts. If that is true, it does seem pricey for a player that doesn't fit the size/speed/weight profile of a WR1 a la Gordon, Dez, Fitz, Jeffrey, etc.
The good news is you can get him cheaper than before the 2013 season when he was the consensus 1.1.

I view Watkins and Lee as pretty close to the same, but I can get one at a fraction of the cost. That's the Shark move.
It's not a Shark move if that's where his talent grades out. The Shark move was to sell him in Devy leagues.

Watkins and Lee are nowhere close. The Shark move is to let others reach for Lee while you snatch up Cooks, Beckham, and Jarvis Landry. The Shark move is to draft Josh Huff even later, who is a cheaper version of Lee.
Shark move and Jarvis Landry don't belong in the same sentence.

This is the same conversation people had about Jeffrey a few years back. I've watched enough film on Lee over the years to know he's a good player. I have him higher than the rest, which tells me he's a current buy at 1.3 or later.

Did u see the leaping out Lee caught at the combine? The gauntlet? Watkins lost in more categories, than he beat Lee in.
What categories did Watkins lose in?

Lee looked the same at the Combine as he did in games:

http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/leecombinebodycatch.gif

http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/leecombinedeepbodycatch.gif

http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/leecombinedrop.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zIMcdCXGls

Vertical: Lee=38, Watkins=34

Broad Jump: Lee 10'7, Watkins= 10'6

Short Shuttle: Lee= 4:01, Watkins= 4.34(only 4 WRs did worse at the combine)

Watkins only won in the 40: Watkins= 4.43, Lee=4.52

Size: Watkins= 6' 3/4 211, Lee= 5'11 3/4 192

Add in that Watkins had a 6.95 in the 3 cone(19th best at the combine among WRs).

I think Watkins was very disappointing at the combine and that's why Lee is the shark move to grab him later. You seem to be driving the ship on Lee being out of the top 10, yet you didn't post those two catches. But if you searched through all of them at the combine to find a couple bad ones, I know you viewed them. Lee is far from perfect, but he's underrated at the moment.
So by this logic, there are a number of other WRs who won over Watkins AND Lee right?

Lee only looks good when he HAS to catch away from his body. It's obvious he couldn't physically make those two catches "underhand". Even Stephen Hill looks great when he catches away from his body. When the ball is coming right at Lee's body, he loses technique. He's no different than Hill or Heyward-Bey.

Watkins' 3-cone was sufficient and was what everyone should have expected. Many WRs run around 7.00 in the 3-cone. That's about average. Pointing out that he was 19th best is meaningless. His shuttle was about what I expected as well. He's not going to be a slot receiver, so what does it matter?

Steve Smith (Panthers) put up an atrocious 4.25 shuttle and 7.24 3-cone: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=60492&draftyear=2001&genpos=WR

I bet he has horrible short area quickness/explosion.

Robert Herron put up a 4.27 shuttle. I bet you he has horrible short area explosion or agility: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io-p8u6GJvs

Oh, I bet you didn't even see this in the video you posted: http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marqiseleeloosehips2.gif

It's not a reach of you take the WR with a high ceiling that projects to be a #1 WR. Lee doesn't fit this profile.

Lee might be TOO elastic for his own good: http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marqiseleeloosehips.gif

This is the main reason he can't stop/plant-and-cut very hard in his routes: http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/leeloosehips.gif
What tha heck is with that leg?
That is very strange indeed.

So, I agree with others that Lee is seemingly being overlooked by some because of the injury plagued season last year...

However I can't get behind the people who seem to think that he's just as good (or even better) than Watkins. Watkins didn't do all that well at the combine but his performance on the field last season looked much better than anything Lee did 2 years ago IMO. I like Lee as the #2 WR in this class, but to pass on an opportunity to take Watkins because you'll be getting Lee later would be a mistake if you ask me... Watkins is a can't miss talent IMO. Lee, not so much.
If you have to pay $20 for a burger that tastes about the same as a $5 burger....which one do you go after?

People are very enamored with Watkins and i'm not quite sure why. Why is he a can't miss talent? He isn't tall, he isn't a burner(i'm talking 4.3's), he doesn't have good lateral agility(look at his 3 cone and short shuttle), got most of his stats off of screens, and has a drug offense under his record.
Your analysis is flawed if you think the 40 time is the end-all-be-all of "speed". Watkins' 10-40 and 20-40 are very close to Cooks.

There are plenty of WRs with great 3-cone and shuttle times who can't do squat on a football field. Michael Campanaro for example put up a great Combine, yet looked so sluggish at the Senior Bowl. "Combine scouting" at it's finest.

It's not a reach of you take the WR with a high ceiling that projects to be a #1 WR. Lee doesn't fit this profile.

Lee might be TOO elastic for his own good: http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marqiseleeloosehips.gif

This is the main reason he can't stop/plant-and-cut very hard in his routes: http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/leeloosehips.gif

So, I agree with others that Lee is seemingly being overlooked by some because of the injury plagued season last year...

However I can't get behind the people who seem to think that he's just as good (or even better) than Watkins. Watkins didn't do all that well at the combine but his performance on the field last season looked much better than anything Lee did 2 years ago IMO. I like Lee as the #2 WR in this class, but to pass on an opportunity to take Watkins because you'll be getting Lee later would be a mistake if you ask me... Watkins is a can't miss talent IMO. Lee, not so much.
If you have to pay $20 for a burger that tastes about the same as a $5 burger....which one do you go after?

People are very enamored with Watkins and i'm not quite sure why. Why is he a can't miss talent? He isn't tall, he isn't a burner(i'm talking 4.3's), he doesn't have good lateral agility(look at his 3 cone and short shuttle), got most of his stats off of screens, and has a drug offense under his record.
Your analysis is flawed if you think the 40 time is the end-all-be-all of "speed". Watkins' 10-40 and 20-40 are very close to Cooks.

There are plenty of WRs with great 3-cone and shuttle times who can't do squat on a football field. Michael Campanaro for example put up a great Combine, yet looked so sluggish at the Senior Bowl. "Combine scouting" at it's finest.
Check out my pre-combine report on Watkins...it says THE SAME THING...the combine confirmed what I thought.

Xue has shown a great deal of bias with Lee for a while IMO. This is nothing new.
Constructive criticism is not "bias". Until Lee learns to be a technician at the WR position, he will have to rely on his athleticism alone. An athleticism that I have acknowledged plenty of times before. Let's not kid ourselves into thinking he possesses good WR skill. His routes are marginal and hands are even worse. He rarely ever uses fakes, double moves, and or stutter steps in his routes.

He can be very good against off-coverage and in space. Without knowing situation and only evaluating his talent as objectively as possible, he's nowhere near Watkins and much closer to Beckham and Cooks, though behind them.

Take off the blinders guys.

Check out my pre-combine report on Watkins...it says THE SAME THING...the combine confirmed what I thought.
I appreciate your pre-combine work but can't agree with your rankings. I think you're putting too much weight on the speed/agility numbers for Watkins. He screams speed and agility on the field IMO. For me, when I watch Watkins and Lee side by side I think it's clear who's talent shows up the most... put Evans up against Lee and Watkins and it's the same. Evans just doesn't have IT for me. To each their own I suppose.

Xue, I think you go a bit overboard with some guys and "take them out of your top 10" just to do it and be a contrarian. Does Lee's rubber band knees really trump his college production and clear WR ability?

I appreciate your pre-combine work but can't agree with your rankings. I think you're putting too much weight on the speed/agility numbers for Watkins. He screams speed and agility on the field IMO. For me, when I watch Watkins and Lee side by side I think it's clear who's talent shows up the most... put Evans up against Lee and Watkins and it's the same. Evans just doesn't have IT for me. To each their own I suppose.

Xue, I think you go a bit overboard with some guys and "take them out of your top 10" just to do it and be a contrarian. Does Lee's rubber band knees really trump his college production and clear WR ability?
There are simply other WRs with much higher ceiling as well as very good production. Lee's lack of WR skill trumps his lack of size.

All else being equal give me the bigger version of a player. In this draft, the bigger version of Lee is Donte Moncrief. Don't be fooled by "total" stats. Based on metrics, Moncrief and Lee are pretty close.

http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marqiselee-vs-dontemoncrief.png

Moncrief is a body-catcher that had a great combine. Lee is a body-catcher that had a great combine, sans his overall 40.

Moncrief doesn't play big. Lee doesn't play big.

Moncrief has a great vertical but doesn't use it well because he body-catches. Lee has a great vertical but doesn't use it well because he body-catches.

Do you see a pattern here? It doesn't get anymore objective than that.

Even watching tape, Moncrief has a better idea of routes than Lee. He displays more feel of the position than Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are simply other WRs with much higher ceiling as well as very good production. Lee's lack of WR skill trumps his lack of size.

All else being equal give me the bigger version of a player. In this draft, the bigger version of Lee is Donte Moncrief. Don't be fooled by "total" stats. Based on metrics, Moncrief and Lee are pretty close.

http://lifesyourcupfb.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/marqiselee-vs-dontemoncrief.png

Moncrief is a body-catcher that had a great combine. Lee is a body-catcher that had a great combine, sans his overall 40.

Moncrief doesn't play big. Lee doesn't play big.

Moncrief has a great vertical but doesn't use it well because he body-catches. Lee has a great vertical but doesn't use it well because he body-catches.

Do you see a pattern here? It doesn't get anymore objective than that.

Even watching tape, Moncrief has a better idea of routes than Lee. He displays more feel of the position than Lee.
That's more substance than "He's not in my top 10". I still think you're a bit harsh on Lee but it's nice to see where you're coming from.

I like Moncrief, but he doesn't have anywhere near the open field ability or suddenness of Lee. Much stiffer athlete.

Moncrief will work best as a pure deep threat. He's a lot bigger and faster than Lee. Different type of player.

Probably not much point debating Lee with the biggest anti-Lee poster on the forums, but if you pull up the Oregon State, Fresno State, and Stanford games on Draft Breakdown then I think you'll see some nice suddenness and YAC skills. The guy can ball. The work he does on comebacks is really impressive. He'll be a good NFL player. Probably not a great one.

At some level the concrete tangibles put a ceiling on what a player can be and Lee is no Dez/VJax/Fitz there (due to size more than speed).

Watkins can't match Lee from a fluidity/open field running standpoint. Kind of an awkward lower body. But then again Lee can't match Watkins from a height/weight/speed standpoint, as Sammy is legitimately in rare company when you consider his body mass/speed combo. I'd rather have Watkins, but Lee is better in some respects. Often times when you're ranking prospects you have to decide between guys who have great tools in a bad frame and guys who have flawed tools in a great frame. A lot of the debates at WR this year will come down to that, as most of the guys with great athletic ability are smaller in stature (i.e. Cooks, Beckham, Lee) while most of the bigger guys have some kind of glaring flaw in their movement and/or skill set (i.e. Benjamin, Evans, Moncrief).

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee met with the Ravens this week.
Lee also met with team officials at the combine. "I liked talking with the Ravens," Lee said at the combine. "That was a fun, good meeting. We'll see if they pick me in May, you never know." The former Biletnikoff winner had a 38-inch vertical leap, a 10-7 broad jump and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.52 second at the combine. He's a projected first-round selection.

Source: Baltimore Sun

I like Moncrief, but he doesn't have anywhere near the open field ability or suddenness of Lee. Much stiffer athlete.

Moncrief will work best as a pure deep threat. He's a lot bigger and faster than Lee. Different type of player.

Probably not much point debating Lee with the biggest anti-Lee poster on the forums, but if you pull up the Oregon State, Fresno State, and Stanford games on Draft Breakdown then I think you'll see some nice suddenness and YAC skills. The guy can ball. The work he does on comebacks is really impressive. He'll be a good NFL player. Probably not a great one.

At some level the concrete tangibles put a ceiling on what a player can be and Lee is no Dez/VJax/Fitz there (due to size more than speed).

Watkins can't match Lee from a fluidity/open field running standpoint. Kind of an awkward lower body. But then again Lee can't match Watkins from a height/weight/speed standpoint, as Sammy is legitimately in rare company when you consider his body mass/speed combo. I'd rather have Watkins, but Lee is better in some respects. Often times when you're ranking prospects you have to decide between guys who have great tools in a bad frame and guys who have flawed tools in a great frame. A lot of the debates at WR this year will come down to that, as most of the guys with great athletic ability are smaller in stature (i.e. Cooks, Beckham, Lee) while most of the bigger guys have some kind of glaring flaw in their movement and/or skill set (i.e. Benjamin, Evans, Moncrief).
Before last year I compared him to Torry Holt. I would have liked for him to have had a better junior year but he has that kind of talent.

Lee: 6-0, 192, 4.44 40, 1.56 10split, 38" vertical, 10'-07" broad

Holt: 6-1, 192, 4.44 40, 1.57 10split, 37" vertical, 9'-10" broad

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee told Pro Football Talk he has visits scheduled with the Panthers and Saints.
Lee has also had private workouts with two teams, but declined to mention them by name. The Trojan receiver had a down 2013 in terms of consistency, dropping over 12 percent of his catchable targets, but he still is fluid in his breaks and wins in the short to intermediate levels of the field.

Source: Pro Football Talk

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee told Pro Football Talk he has visits scheduled with the Panthers and Saints.
Lee has also had private workouts with two teams, but declined to mention them by name. The Trojan receiver had a down 2013 in terms of consistency, dropping over 12 percent of his catchable targets, but he still is fluid in his breaks and wins in the short to intermediate levels of the field.

Please please please.

I used to think Lee was the no. 3 WR in this draft, but now he seems grouped with the guys after Watkins and Evans.

At least 6 really good WRs could all go in the first round, could NO really have a shot at a Lee or Cooks?

I could also see the Saints taking one of these guys just to block CAR.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Todd McShay believes USC WR Marqise Lee is "going to fall a little bit" in May's draft.
"I think at worst he's the fifth wide receiver taken," McShay said. "I know there are a lot of guys that still think he's the third best receiver." The analyst said Lee is difficult to evaluate because, while healthy in 2012, he was "one of the most explosive players in college football." McShay had Lee rated as a top 10 prospect entering 2013, but then the wideout dropped 12.3% of the balls thrown to him, a bizarre stat after he caught everything in his vicinity in 2012. "It makes it very difficult to know who he is," McShay said.

Source: ESPN's First Draft Podcast

Barely in my top 10. A better version of Kendall Wright.
If he is a better version of Wright, I think that is a good thing
Yeah, it's a strange attempt at a dog. Wright was drafted 20 overall and has had 2 good seasons in the NFL already.
Not knowing situation and based on pure talent, It's not a good thing. Wright was a product of Griffin in college and he's a product of QBs who can't throw downfield. He's a glorified slot receiver. I'm evaluating his skill not his fantasy value.

If you want to draft a glorified slot receiver, you might as well go with the better and more explosive "small" WRs in Cooks and Beckham.
Xue, I don't get what you're saying. Griffin was a downfield passer in college. So Wright can be used downfield and underneath? What is he not doing or unable to do that is so troubling for you? I was not a fan of his coming out of Baylor, but after watching all his games I've come around and view him as a better real player than fantasy player. I usually come away impressed with your posts, but I disagree with you on Wright. I'm wondering how much you've seen of him in the NFL, especially last season. His body changed last year. Stats aside, just watching him in the NFL he seems to be a tough cover that positively impacted games. It gives me some pause to see you so low on him, if you can have time to expand some more on him please do. It might be best to post in this KW thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680517. Keep up the strong posts. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

If he was a product of RG3, he wouldn't have been a first round pick and a 1000+ yard NFL receiver. Wright is a solid player.

I don't think Wright/Lee is a bad comparison. Question becomes how much a guy like that is really worth in FF.

I think this type of WR (a solid contributor without an elite ceiling) is most valuable in deep leagues where every team is starting 3-4 WRs.

In a more shallow league with more emphasis on upside, a player like this doesn't add huge value to your FF team.

Barely in my top 10. A better version of Kendall Wright.
If he is a better version of Wright, I think that is a good thing
Yeah, it's a strange attempt at a dog. Wright was drafted 20 overall and has had 2 good seasons in the NFL already.
Not knowing situation and based on pure talent, It's not a good thing. Wright was a product of Griffin in college and he's a product of QBs who can't throw downfield. He's a glorified slot receiver. I'm evaluating his skill not his fantasy value.

If you want to draft a glorified slot receiver, you might as well go with the better and more explosive "small" WRs in Cooks and Beckham.
Xue, I don't get what you're saying. Griffin was a downfield passer in college. So Wright can be used downfield and underneath? What is he not doing or unable to do that is so troubling for you? I was not a fan of his coming out of Baylor, but after watching all his games I've come around and view him as a better real player than fantasy player. I usually come away impressed with your posts, but I disagree with you on Wright. I'm wondering how much you've seen of him in the NFL, especially last season. His body changed last year. Stats aside, just watching him in the NFL he seems to be a tough cover that positively impacted games. It gives me some pause to see you so low on him, if you can have time to expand some more on him please do. It might be best to post in this KW thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=680517. Keep up the strong posts. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Check that thread for my reply.

I heard that Marqise is a very good basketball player, but I can't find any videos of him playing. If anyone has a link please share. I want to see his athleticism and cordination and then compare it to Kendall Wright as a hooper. KW bball vid: http://youtu.be/Tvb59rcfkEA

I heard that Marqise is a very good basketball player, but I can't find any videos of him playing. If anyone has a link please share. I want to see his athleticism and cordination and then compare it to Kendall Wright as a hooper. KW bball vid: http://youtu.be/Tvb59rcfkEA
Lee was on the 2009-10 Serra (Div III) team that went 35-2 and was State champion. I don't know his stats but he was the MVP of that team according to an interview clip I saw.

Here are highlight clips of regional finals and state championship games. You don't get a whole lot of Lee here, though there were moments. He's #24 in blue, the point guard.

At 1:54 in the 1st clip you see him dribbling the ball up court through traffic and making a pass for an assist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B94bgSouc3Y

At 0:34 of the 2nd clip you see him saving an errant pass from going out of bounds (announcer says 'he looked like a wide receiver on that one') then dribbles a bit and kicks it out to open man for 3 pointer. At 2:00 of this clip, in OT of the title game he steals the ball and drives the length of the court for a layup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeRugIzbaes

Rotoworld:

Please please please.

I used to think Lee was the no. 3 WR in this draft, but now he seems grouped with the guys after Watkins and Evans.

At least 6 really good WRs could all go in the first round, could NO really have a shot at a Lee or Cooks?

I could also see the Saints taking one of these guys just to block CAR.
One of the pre-draft storylines I DO believe is that teams have a very different board for WRs. I imagine the slotting of the WRs on draft day will be a very big story.

Is love to see him a Packer. I can't really see how that would happen but hey, Cobb slid to them in the 2nd round when they had Jennings, Jones, Jordy, and Driver and they snagged him.

I'd love to see him in KC, Philly or Car. I think any of the 3 could happen, too.
Yeah those all seem like good landing spots. Also could see NYJ or something like Baltimore :yawn:

San Diego or San Fran seem like they could have a need too.

The SI 64, Nos. 19-17: Ra’Shede Hageman, Taylor Lewan and Marqise Lee

Chris Burke

Excerpt:

No. 17: Marqise Lee, WR, USC
Bio: Lee, just as the player preceding him here, saw his stock drop some during the 2013 season. Only, unlike Lewan, Lee was not eligible for the NFL draft due to the league’s rule requiring players to be three years removed from high school before making the leap. So, off an FBS-best 118-catch 2012 season, Lee headed back to Pasadena.

His stats plummeted, with injuries hindering him throughout the Trojans’ campaign. Lee finished with just 57 catches for 791 yards and four touchdowns, numbers that were all down markedly from his previous two years. He did finish with a bang: seven catches for a season-high 118 yards and two touchdowns in a bowl win over Fresno State.

Where does all that leave him in the receiver pecking order? Hard to say. Sammy Watkins and Mike Evans are believed to sit clearly ahead of him, with prospects like Odell Beckham Jr., Brandin Cooks and others primed to leapfrog Lee in Round 1.

Of course, a healthy Lee might turn out to be the best of the bunch. He was close to unmatched back in ’12, when he finished fourth in the Heisman voting.

Strengths: Does not need much space to turn short gains into big plays. Uses his speed (4.52 40) to burst by defenders, plus challenges defenses vertically. Uses all of his 6-0 frame to go up and make catches, with the strong hands needed to do so in traffic. Smart, before and after the catch, knowing where his openings are. Produces big-play touchdowns. Dangerous, too, in the red zone because of how he positions himself versus defensive backs. Dangerous return man — averaged 26.1 yards per attempt on kickoffs during his career, scoring twice. Willing blocker, despite his size limitations.

Weaknesses: Injuries last season may make teams wary, given Lee’s lanky frame. Should be better when pressured on catches; will let defenders beat him to the ball at times. Dropped 12 percent of the passes thrown his way last season. Will get jammed at the line, though his top-end speed deep may force CBs to play off him. Lacks true No. 1 size, which could limit his value in the draft.

Conclusion: While no longer a clear top-10 selection, Lee has every right to argue for a Round 1 spot. Should he fall too deep, a contender is going to add the type of piece that could put its offense over the top. Lee may not make all the catches and he definitely will lose some one-on-one battles with aggressive corners. He’ll also make up for any tough moments by serving as a steady producer, capable of turning any completion into a touchdown.

NFL player comparison: Pierre Garcon, Redskins (6th round, 2008, Mount Union)

Lions among seven teams to meet with Marqise LeeBy Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

USC wide receiver Marqise Lee has visited with seven teams, with all but one of them picking between 17th and 29th in the first round. That's the general area where Lee is expected to go in the draft.

But the one outlier is interesting: It's the Detroit Lions, who pick 10th. Would the Lions grab Lee with the 10th pick? That seems extremely unlikely.

Lee also has visited with the Baltimore Ravens (17th pick), New York Jets (18th pick), Miami Dolphins (19th pick), New Orleans Saints (27th pick), Carolina Panthers (28th pick) and New England Patriots (29th pick).

Clemson's Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M's Mike Evans are the consensus top two wide receivers in the draft, and both are expected to go in the top 10. Lee is among the second-tier receivers, along with LSU's Odell Beckham Jr. and Oregon State's Brandin Cooks, and the order after the top two receivers is a "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" thing.

Detroit seems intrigued by the idea of taking a big-time receiver and pairing him with Calvin Johnson. The receiver the Lions most closely have been aligned with is Watkins, and that would mean the Lions would have to trade up. Taking Lee at No. 10 doesn't make sense, and if the Lions truly covet him, they could move down -- maybe as many as 10 spots -- and still grab him.

Among the teams Lee has visited, the Jets and Panthers would seem to be the most interested in adding a first-round receiver; indeed, it wouldn't be a surprise if the Panthers take at least two and maybe even three receivers in this draft. The Ravens, Dolphins, Saints and Patriots would seem to have bigger position issues, though those teams adding a top-flight rookie to what they already have at receiver does make some sense -- especially since Lee has the potential to develop into a No. 1 NFL receiver.

Lee (6-foot, 192 pounds) had a great sophomore season in 2012 but slumped a bit in 2013 before turning pro a year early. USC's quarterback situation was an issue in 2013, when Lee saw his catch total drop from 118 (for 1,712 yards and 14 TDs) in 2012 to 57 (for 791 yards and four TDs). Lee also played through injuries in 2013.

While he is not a burner (he ran the 40 in 4.52 seconds at the combine), Lee is athletic (38-inch vertical jump, a broad jump of 10 feet, 7 inches) and fluid. His hands were an issue in 2013, when he dropped passes he had caught the season before. And while he lacks elite speed, Lee is elusive and did an excellent job as the Trojans' main kick returner in 2012.

Lee is tied for fifth at wide receiver on NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock's updated list of the best players at each position. Lee is the No. 5 wide receiver and the No. 23 player overall on fellow analyst Daniel Jeremiah's top-50 list, and is the No. 5 receiver and No. 20 overall player on senior analyst Gil Brandt's "Hot 100" list.

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee polarized scouts interviewed by the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, with one saying he was more explosive than Odell Beckham, and another pointing to USC's history of WR busts.
"Even though he doesn't run as well as Beckham he's more explosive," one scout said. "He has been the guy where Beckham has been one of the guys (at LSU). He was much better obviously in '12 than '13." Lee runs a forty more than two-tenths of a second slower than Beckham (4.52 to 4.31). "He's not going to be a great No. 1 but a good No. 1," said another scout. "Very similar to Greg Jennings. Greg may be a little thicker in the lowers. Speed is comparable." Of course, another scout brought up USC's spotty WR record in the NFL, and, as has been frequently discussed, Lee is coming off a down campaign.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Marqise Lee's status as No. 1 receiver split among NFL scouts

By Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

The injuries that contributed to Marqise Lee's underproductive 2013 season at USC might have dampened some people's expectations for him, but certainly not his own.

Lee said he believes he'll be the go-to receiver for whoever drafts him next week, most likely in the first round.

"I feel like I am the caliber to be that No. 1 receiver," Lee said, according to usatoday.com. "That's my goal: to come in immediately and get it going."

Yet, there is some hesitation among scouts to crown Lee as a No. 1 receiver-to-be.

"He's going to be just a well-rounded, productive player," said one NFL personnel man. "But I wouldn't necessarily say he's a sure No. 1 in three years. With Lee, nobody knows where he's going to go."

A poll of 17 NFL personnel men by jsonline.com revealed that Lee is rather convincingly among the draft's top five receivers -- at least for those polled -- but he also polled just as convincingly outside the top three of Clemson's Sammy Watkins, Texas A&M's Mike Evans and LSU's Odell Beckham.

Southern Cal's recent history of producing NFL receivers certainly doesn't bode well for Lee, either.

A preseason shoulder injury and an in-season knee sprain made for a rough junior year for Lee. He still caught 57 passes for 791 yards last year -- a strong season by most any standard -- but not for a guy who lit up the Pac-12 Conference for 118 catches, 1,721 yards and 14 touchdowns just a year earlier.

Lee insists, however, that recapturing his dynamic 2012 form only requires good health.

"Ain't nothing changed," he said. "I don't know what scouts are seeing as far as me being this in 2012 and me being this in 2013. As far as production goes and doing my job, it's the same. The only thing that changed is stuff I couldn't control."

Speaking of things he can't control, the draft commences in six days.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee blamed a Grade 2 MCL sprain for the drop-off in his 2013 production.
As a junior in 2012, Lee went off for a 118-1721-14 line. Plagued by the injury and poor quarterback play last season, he sunk to 57-791-4. "Ain't nothing changed," he said. "I don't know what scouts are seeing as far as me being this in 2012 and me being this in 2013. ... The only thing that changed is stuff I couldn't control." The problem is that Lee goes just 5-foot-11 3/4 and ran a 4.52 at the Combine, so his tape is key. He's currently projected as a late first-rounder.

Source: USA Today

In a sea of great receiving prospects, he's one of them. Could go anywhere from 3 to 10 depending on your draft.

Rotoworld:

USC WR Marqise Lee blamed a Grade 2 MCL sprain for the drop-off in his 2013 production.

As a junior in 2012, Lee went off for a 118-1721-14 line. Plagued by the injury and poor quarterback play last season, he sunk to 57-791-4. "Ain't nothing changed," he said. "I don't know what scouts are seeing as far as me being this in 2012 and me being this in 2013. ... The only thing that changed is stuff I couldn't control." The problem is that Lee goes just 5-foot-11 3/4 and ran a 4.52 at the Combine, so his tape is key. He's currently projected as a late first-rounder.

Sounds a lot like Keenan Allen's situation last year.

Rotoworld:

Sounds a lot like Keenan Allen's situation last year.
I was thinking the same thing. Could be a mid to late round rookie draft steal if he lands in a decent spot.

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, "everybody in the league" believes USC WR Marqise Lee will not get past the Packers at No. 21.
Lee's pre-draft buzz has been relatively quiet following a disappointing senior season, but he remains a dynamic talent on tape. Lee was a revelation as a junior before injury and quarterback issues marred his 2013. Few teams are better at finding wideouts than the Packers, so it's a great sign for Lee's stock that they've apparently taken interest.

Related: Packers

Report: Marqise Lee won't slip past Packers

Perfect example of why 98% of this pre-draft chatter is complete garbage. There is absolutely no way the Packers use pick 21 on Marqise Lee. Not only is he grossly overrated, but Ted has never (and likely will never) use a first round pick on a WR. Especially not in a deep WR class like this one. And the fact that you can plug in any dime-a-dozen WR with Rodgers and the offense will still be top 5.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46661/311/nfl-draft-the-phenom-index?pg=2

Report: Marqise Lee won't slip past Packers

Perfect example of why 98% of this pre-draft chatter is complete garbage. There is absolutely no way the Packers use pick 21 on Marqise Lee. Not only is he grossly overrated, but Ted has never (and likely will never) use a first round pick on a WR. Especially not in a deep WR class like this one. And the fact that you can plug in any dime-a-dozen WR with Rodgers and the offense will still be top 5.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46661/311/nfl-draft-the-phenom-index?pg=2
I would be thrilled to see the Packers pick Lee

Rotoworld:

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, "everybody in the league" believes USC WR Marqise Lee will not get past the Packers at No. 21.
Lee's pre-draft buzz has been relatively quiet following a disappointing senior season, but he remains a dynamic talent on tape. Lee was a revelation as a junior before injury and quarterback issues marred his 2013. Few teams are better at finding wideouts than the Packers, so it's a great sign for Lee's stock that they've apparently taken interest.

Related: Packers
:oldunsure:

Proof that the combine matters. If Lee had been 10 pounds heavier or a half a tenth faster, I think he would've been a first round pick. Ultimately, the numbers killed him. Beckham and Cooks basically stole his thunder by outshining him in that environment.

Won't last long tomorrow though.

Users who are viewing this thread