What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Thomas Tyner (1 Viewer)

EBF

Footballguy
Just a heads up if you play in leagues where you can draft college players. I recommend checking out this Oregon signee from the incoming freshman class. I watched some of his clips and it was love at first highlight. This kid was a phenom in the state of Oregon. Made national headlines by running for 643 yards and 10 TDs in a single game earlier this season. Self reports a height/weight of 6' 210 pounds. Rated as a 5 star prospect by Scout.com and Rivals.com.

What really sets him apart from the typical high school prospect is his world class speed. He was clocked at 10.38 electronic in the 100m as a sophomore. He broke the Oregon state record in that event, which was previously held by 2012 100m Olympic finalist Ryan Bailey. I've seen prep RBs who can run as fast as Tyner. Reggie Bush was in that range. So was Jahvid Best. But I've never seen a RB with this combination of strength and speed. Guys like Bush and Best were about 185 pounds at this age. Tyner is a solid 200+.

I think this guy has a chance to become that Peterson/Richardson type of prospect that people build their whole FF team around. If you have a chance to pick him up for a modest price and you have the patience to stash him for a few years, you could be looking at a monster reward.

Some good links:

The 643 yards game.

Warp speed, engage.

Reminds me of Ryan Mathews.There's another RB from this recruiting class I really like as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 643yd highlights reminded me of NFL Blitz "turbo" mode -- this guy makes the field look 50 yards long. Amazing.

I already started collecting my 2015 picks so I can move them for 2016, its 3 yrs away but some of these recuits look special

Reminds me of Ryan Mathews.There's another RB from this recruiting class I really like as well.
I can see the similarities. A bit upright. Rare speed for a bigger back. I see bit of Matt Forte in his game too. Tyner isn't as tall, but he has really long legs for his height. That's part of the reason why he has that speed. I normally like RBs who are more compact and more elusive in tight spaces, but I was impressed with how well he could sink when he makes cuts. Although he's a bit upright in his style, he actually gets pretty low when he makes his cuts. You can see it in these runs:http://youtu.be/Je0ninG8hBU?t=10m57sHe's got some quickness and agility. And his speed is beyond reproach. He's got that rare Ginn/Spiller/CJ/Moss kind of third gear where he just pulls away from people. I think he's going to do a lot of damage at Oregon if he stays healthy and keeps his mind right.

After Malcolm Brown I decided to never judge a RB before he plays a snap in NCAA... I thought he was gonna be the next elite prospect... I was dead wrong lol

After Malcolm Brown I decided to never judge a RB before he plays a snap in NCAA... I thought he was gonna be the next elite prospect... I was dead wrong lol
Yea, it's not really something that I would recommend. Too many guys like Fred Rouse, Whitney Lewis, Sean Bailey, and Darrell Scott walking around. Five star prospects who amounted to nothing in college. Andre Debose looked like
as a high school player, and he's basically been a zero at Florida apart from a handful of big plays. Some of these guys just aren't that good, and others get sidetracked by injuries and off-field issues. Having said that, I really can't remember a prospect with Tyner's combination of weight and speed. Usually it's one or the other. He still has to stay healthy and stay out of trouble, but he seems like the type who was destined for the NFL from birth. Pretty scary upside.

Thanks EBF. He also expresses himself well in this interview:

Hopefully he can keep himself on track. He has the ability to be great.

He is a nice looking prospect, but relying on track times/size isn't the best method to evaluate RBs.Former Buckeye RB Brandon Saine was 6'1 220 in high school and set the all time Ohio record with a 10.38 100M. His senior year of HS, he had 2300 yards and 27 TDs against good competition. He was a low 5 star or high 4 star depending on the ranking site. He was the national champion in the 60M dash. He ultimately went undrafted and has had a couple cups of coffee with the Packers, but never became the star his size/speed would have led you to believe.

He is a nice looking prospect, but relying on track times/size isn't the best method to evaluate RBs.Former Buckeye RB Brandon Saine was 6'1 220 in high school and set the all time Ohio record with a 10.38 100M. His senior year of HS, he had 2300 yards and 27 TDs against good competition. He was a low 5 star or high 4 star depending on the ranking site. He was the national champion in the 60M dash. He ultimately went undrafted and has had a couple cups of coffee with the Packers, but never became the star his size/speed would have led you to believe.
I never knew Saine was that fast. I went back and watched his high school highlights though, and he doesn't look all that amazing. Just really, really fast.Tyner looks like more of a well-rounded back to me. There are no sure things when you're talking about players this young, but I'd be surprised if he isn't a name that we hear a lot about over the next few years.

EBF made a risky pick and got his guy, I applaud people for doing that. Tyner was also on my list of 2 players I thought would drop to my pick(7 spots later), so I do like him. Considering EBF posted mostly good things on Tyner, I'll list some of my concerns I had on him as a prospect.

1) Taller/lean frame. Tyner is 205, but he isn't compact and this doesn't fit traditional RB's. One that comes to mind is McFadden in body structure. Tyner doesn't have good lower body strength.

2) Upright running style. While he can still cut at the HS level, I have concerns about his short area agility and cutting at the next two levels(NCAA/NFL). He's taller to start with and runs upright, so it takes time to get into a body position to change direction(lateral agility).

3) Running in tight spaces. Tyner is a perfect fit for Oregon's offense because he's great at running outside and cutting back once he finds a seam. I have concerns about his ability to pick and slide to find running lanes on interior running plays.

4) Injuries. Tyner has had multiple hamstring injuries, I hope it's not chronic, but it's a concern. Pulled his hammy here His upright running style may also lead to more injuries.

Listen, I know no prospect is perfect. But I wanted the SP to know the negatives of this player as well.

says he was 18 during that 600 yard game, isn't that a little old to still be playing HS ball? He was pretty much playing with children.

EBF made a risky pick and got his guy, I applaud people for doing that. Tyner was also on my list of 2 players I thought would drop to my pick(7 spots later), so I do like him. Considering EBF posted mostly good things on Tyner, I'll list some of my concerns I had on him as a prospect.1) Taller/lean frame. Tyner is 205, but he isn't compact and this doesn't fit traditional RB's. One that comes to mind is McFadden in body structure. Tyner doesn't have good lower body strength.2) Upright running style. While he can still cut at the HS level, I have concerns about his short area agility and cutting at the next two levels(NCAA/NFL). He's taller to start with and runs upright, so it takes time to get into a body position to change direction(lateral agility). 3) Running in tight spaces. Tyner is a perfect fit for Oregon's offense because he's great at running outside and cutting back once he finds a seam. I have concerns about his ability to pick and slide to find running lanes on interior running plays. 4) Injuries. Tyner has had multiple hamstring injuries, I hope it's not chronic, but it's a concern. Pulled his hammy here His upright running style may also lead to more injuries.Listen, I know no prospect is perfect. But I wanted the SP to know the negatives of this player as well.
Agree to some extent with these, but I'd stop short of comparing him to McFadden. He is already a lot bigger and stronger through his lower body. The kid has tree trunk thighs. With a couple years of college weight training combined with natural growth, he'll probably be 220+ when he declares for the draft.

You guys must have missed my post above. His trainer says he's trying to get Tyner to 225-230 by camp, THIS YEAR.

You guys must have missed my post above. His trainer says he's trying to get Tyner to 225-230 by camp, THIS YEAR.
I did, wow. Forget being a sportscar all the time, he can be a 4 wheel drive truck through defenses too.

Looks like a stud in the making but I want to see if he can break tackles against better competition and if he has any other moves besides one cut and go. If he gets on the team like the Texans watch out.

Yeah, I'd like to see him create more for himself. I'm a bit more impressed with some other guys like Alex Collins, Kelvin Taylor, Tyren Jones, etc.

Yeah, I'd like to see him create more for himself. I'm a bit more impressed with some other guys like Alex Collins, Kelvin Taylor, Tyren Jones, etc.
He's got some quickness. More than you might think. You can see some of it here:http://youtu.be/Je0ninG8hBU?t=1m29sSome pretty nifty moves. He's got some wiggle and even though he's a taller back, he runs low when he's making his cuts. And his second gear when he gets free is just nuts. Those other backs you named are good prospects, but none of them really have the same wow factor for me. They look like high school kids. This guy already looks like a college upperclassman. With a year in the weight room he could be bonkers.

He's got some quickness. More than you might think. You can see some of it here:http://youtu.be/Je0ninG8hBU?t=1m29sSome pretty nifty moves. He's got some wiggle and even though he's a taller back, he runs low when he's making his cuts. And his second gear when he gets free is just nuts. Those other backs you named are good prospects, but none of them really have the same wow factor for me. They look like high school kids. This guy already looks like a college upperclassman. With a year in the weight room he could be bonkers.
Thanks for the link. That looks like Jonathan Stewart to me. Barring injury he's going to be as good as he wants to be.

Check out film of 2013 Nebraska signee Terrell Newby. Adam Taylor had a monster senior year too. Something like 44 rushing TDs playing 5A or 6A ball.

What I will say, if there was a guy im buying from this incoming class... its Ty Issac , that dude is a monster
I don't see why he's so highly-regarded, personally. He just looks big and slow to me. I haven't looked too deep into the high school class, but if I had to pick another besides Tyner, I would probably roll with Derrick Green.

What I will say, if there was a guy im buying from this incoming class... its Ty Issac , that dude is a monster
I don't see why he's so highly-regarded, personally. He just looks big and slow to me. I haven't looked too deep into the high school class, but if I had to pick another besides Tyner, I would probably roll with Derrick Green.
I would take Robert Foster over Tyner.

Espn insider recruiting said it's an option, but USC will probably try him at rb first
Not sure why there's talk about converting him to LB. He'd be a better fit at WR if they were going to move him to another position.

Green is the prototypical back but Isaac is a more talented receiver. I prefer Green, but I don't think Tyner is that far behind.

Watched over some Roy Helu highlights to confirm how similar Tyner's and Helu's running style resemble each other.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v437qwQ8LWkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAcat-VVbM

Looks totally different to me. Can't think of too many guys who run like Tyner. Unique talent. Generates so much force with every step and cut. Can't wait to see him light it up at Oregon.

Drafted him twice recently, he dropping way to low for his talent (1.08-2.02 range with Gurley, Diggs, Cooper already drafted last year).

Drafted him twice recently, he dropping way to low for his talent (1.08-2.02 range with Gurley, Diggs, Cooper already drafted last year).
He might not even be the best RB in his own conference.

You can get a Greg Bryant or Dwayne Washington later with no dropoff in talent.

He didn't look quite as dominant last year as I expected, but that's probably only because my expectations were sky high. He had a really good year for a true freshman and won a lot of freshman All-America honors. Byron Marshall is okay and there's a lot of buzz on Oregon's incoming 5* freshman Royce Freeman, but if Tyner stays healthy then he should have a pretty big season. Very good combination of size, speed, power, and vision. He can also catch the ball. I'd like to see him show more elusiveness and agility, as I think that's where he left something to be desired last season. He's not really a make-you-miss kind of guy. More of a one cut and go north-south locomotive. In the NFL, he might be punished for that. He certainly has some special qualities though. I wouldn't say he's the next AD just yet, but he belongs high on any devy player watch list.

Oregon junior RB Thomas Tyner will miss the 2015 season due to shoulder surgery.
Tyner backed up Royce Freeman last year and was headed for the same role in 2015, but did contribute 573 yards and five touchdowns. Apparently the surgery is to clear "lingering pain" from a shoulder issue sustained towards the end of Tyner's sophomore campaign. Byron Marshall spent a good portion of the offseason at receiver and could be moved back to running back. Tyner is expected to redshirt and return in 2016.

Too bad. I'm not as high on him as I once was, but I think he's a draftable talent.

Oregon will be fine with Freeman, Marshall, and their freshmen.

Well, that's too bad. He was very injury prone in his short career.

Never really looked as good at Oregon as I thought he would out of HS. Still had a chance to get drafted with a strong 2016.

Users who are viewing this thread