What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (2 Viewers)

Unless the NFL comes up with a new rule allowing defenses to play more than 11 players at a time I don't see how it can be. Defenses weren't respecting Keenum so it's not like they're suddenly going to start defending the Rams any differently now. It's going to be status quo for Gurley. Most of the problems he's been dealing with have revolved almost entirely around play-calling and usage. Honestly Goff can only help him. If he can perform better than Keenum than it can help but it still boils down to play-calling and usage. Those continue to be the primary issues killing Gurley. They had a first-and-goal inside the 1 against the Jets and Benny Cunningham got the carry (and promptly fumbled). These are the kinds of things Gurley owners have had to suffer through all season long. Completely inexplicable but entirely understandable when you stop and consider it's Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams.   
Dunno f it happened this week as well but in earlier games Gurley would rip of a decent run and they would take him off the field for the next play. WTF is that. Last year he would pile up a few decent runs and then BAM a huge run.

What is Kronke's history with incompetent coaches on his other sporting teams?

Unless the NFL comes up with a new rule allowing defenses to play more than 11 players at a time I don't see how it can be. Defenses weren't respecting Keenum so it's not like they're suddenly going to start defending the Rams any differently now. It's going to be status quo for Gurley. Most of the problems he's been dealing with have revolved almost entirely around play-calling and usage. Honestly Goff can only help him. If he can perform better than Keenum than it can help but it still boils down to play-calling and usage. Those continue to be the primary issues killing Gurley. They had a first-and-goal inside the 1 against the Jets and Benny Cunningham got the carry (and promptly fumbled). These are the kinds of things Gurley owners have had to suffer through all season long. Completely inexplicable but entirely understandable when you stop and consider it's Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams.   
Agreed.

Trent Richardson 2.0....and it must be miserable being a rams fan knowing the Jeff Fisher era has no end in sight. Worst coach in football
Honestly this first statement is insane and can only come from someone not watching the games but looking at the stats alone.   The dude has the lowest yards prior to contact of anyone in the league.  1.4yrds!   It's a jail break by the D on every running attempt and there is simply no where to run.     

I've said it time and time again and @packersfan laid it out above clearly as well.   To anyone watching the games it's clear as can be what the issues are.   Gurley being Trent 2.0 is not one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
dkp993 said:
Honestly this first statement is insane and can only come from someone not watching the games but looking at the stats alone.   The dude has the lowest yards prior to contact of anyone in the league.  1.4yrds!   It a jail break by the D on every running attempt and there is simply no where to run.     

I've said it time and time again and @packersfan laid it out above clearly as well.   To anyone watching the games it's clear as can be what the issues are.   Gurley being Trent 2.0 is not one of them.
+2.  I agree. The statement is insane.  

Imagine if you're watching the Cowboys and they have a first-and-goal inside the 1 at the start of a game and instead of Elliott in the backfield it's Lance Dunbar.

Or the Steelers are inside the 1 and instead of Bell lined up for the touchdown it's Toussaint.

That's what the Rams' play with Cunningham against the Jets was like this past Sunday. It was early in the first quarter with a chance for the Rams to take the lead and it was coming on the heels of Fisher saying all week long how they needed to use Gurley more. So what does he do at the start of the very next game? He puts Benny F'n Cunningham in the game to try and score a touchdown. 

This is how he coaches week in and week out. 

It's maddening the stuff Gurley owners have had to deal with but this is yet another example of the inept coaching that has absolutely derailed him on a weekly basis. Other starting running backs in the league just don't deal with this stuff like he does. I posted earlier that Gurley hasn't helped himself at times this season and that's definitely true. But that should've been six points easy for Gurley owners and the Rams as well. Instead, Cunningham fumbles and the Rams end up blowing a golden opportunity to score a touchdown and they have to kick a field goal. It's truly amazing how Fisher still has a job, much less how the Rams could still be considering a contract extension for him. He seriously is terrible at this.  

If it sounds like I'm making excuses for Gurley so be it. But anyone who watches the Rams play can see all the stuff he has to deal with and how difficult it is for the guy just to reach the numbers he's putting up. 

Imagine if you're watching the Cowboys and they have a first-and-goal inside the 1 at the start of a game and instead of Elliott in the backfield it's Lance Dunbar.

Or the Steelers are inside the 1 and instead of Bell lined up for the touchdown it's Toussaint.

That's what the Rams' play with Cunningham against the Jets was like this past Sunday. It was early in the first quarter with a chance for the Rams to take the lead and it was coming on the heels of Fisher saying all week long how they needed to use Gurley more. So what does he do at the start of the very next game? He puts Benny F'n Cunningham in the game to try and score a touchdown. 

This is how he coaches week in and week out. 

It's maddening the stuff Gurley owners have had to deal with but this is yet another example of the inept coaching that has absolutely derailed him on a weekly basis. Other starting running backs in the league just don't deal with this stuff like he does. I posted earlier that Gurley hasn't helped himself at times this season and that's definitely true. But that should've been six points easy for Gurley owners and the Rams as well. Instead, Cunningham fumbles and the Rams end up blowing a golden opportunity to score a touchdown and they have to kick a field goal. It's truly amazing how Fisher still has a job, much less how the Rams could still be considering a contract extension for him. He seriously is terrible at this.  

If it sounds like I'm making excuses for Gurley so be it. But anyone who watches the Rams play can see all the stuff he has to deal with and how difficult it is for the guy just to reach the numbers he's putting up. 
There was 1 or 2 games where Dallas did pull Zeke at the GL but it was pretty quickly rectified and only done after Zeke coughed a few up

I think the reason why Cunningham got that carry was because he ripped off a 20 yard run the play before. Fisher was probably rewarding him for that run.

I think the reason why Cunningham got that carry was because he ripped off a 20 yard run the play before. Fisher was probably rewarding him for that run.
Exactly!   Of this I have no doubt.  And this is exactly why Fisher is terrible.  Screw rewarding a backup RB, do what's best for the team and put the ball in your franchise RBs hands and let him do work.  

OK so it's pointless for both sides to keep arguing there Gurley sucks or his situation. THE RELAVANT point today is: is he startable this week? Dolphins D no joke. We are talking a bout a guy who is putting up low flex production. I'm thinking Prosise is a better option even in standard where I have Gurley.

OK so it's pointless for both sides to keep arguing there Gurley sucks or his situation. THE RELAVANT point today is: is he startable this week? Dolphins D no joke. We are talking a bout a guy who is putting up low flex production. I'm thinking Prosise is a better option even in standard where I have Gurley.
14-team non-ppr redraft I have him as my RB1 with literally nothing at RB2 other than Rawls coming back. So have trades out for Dion Lewis and Ryan Mathews. If I get one I'd give serious consideration to starting either over Gurley. Prosise would be a stretch unless Rawls is inactive IMO. 

Sucks that that is where things are at for us. Honestly, Gurley redraft owners are better off trading him for a "Downgrade" before deadlines.

14-team non-ppr redraft I have him as my RB1 with literally nothing at RB2 other than Rawls coming back. So have trades out for Dion Lewis and Ryan Mathews. If I get one I'd give serious consideration to starting either over Gurley. Prosise would be a stretch unless Rawls is inactive IMO. 

Sucks that that is where things are at for us. Honestly, Gurley redraft owners are better off trading him for a "Downgrade" before deadlines.
I can't get a team to trade me a cup of coffee for him. I almost wish I could release him to my biggest rival and have him absorb the 7.8 I get every week from this guy. 

I'm looking to start Ware/Martin over him in one league. He's playing over Dion Lewis in another. 

I've been offered Freeman for Gurley straight up (no keeper value) and our league is 1ppr but also 0.5 per carry so Gurley is still getting around 10 points just for his carries.  Falcons have a horrible fantasy playoff schedule but I kind of feel like just being done with Gurley.

Week 16 the Rams play the Niners. I know they shut him down in Week 1 but it's hard for me to believe that could happen again. If you're still in contention with Gurley at that point he could very well win a fantasy title for you this year. As crazy as it sounds as frustrating as this season has been for Gurley owners he could end up being the guy who wins a lot of money for a lotta people with that Week 16 matchup. Wouldn't surprise me at all.  

Week 16 the Rams play the Niners. I know they shut him down in Week 1 but it's hard for me to believe that could happen again. If you're still in contention with Gurley at that point he could very well win a fantasy title for you this year. As crazy as it sounds as frustrating as this season has been for Gurley owners he could end up being the guy who wins a lot of money for a lotta people with that Week 16 matchup. Wouldn't surprise me at all.  
If any of us make the playoffs it'll be a miracle .....

Probably and this just shows how stupid Fisher is. It's early in the game, your team has MASSIVE problems scoring touchdowns, you've spent the entire week talking about badly you need to get your star running back going and you have the ball about 1-inch from the opponents' end zone so what do you do when you have a golden opportunity to accomplish two of the things your team really needs to accomplish? You give the ball to your backup running back who is not a between-the-tackles power running back option. It's truly amazing Jeff Fisher is still coaching in the NFL. He is seriously awful at this. If you polled 5,000 reasonably intelligent NFL fans I'm pretty confident 100% of them would've given the ball to Gurley in that situation and the Rams would've scored and had a 7-0 lead. Only Fisher allows a Cunningham run and the result is an insanely screwed-up series, no touchdown, a field goal, a 3-0 lead and probably a whole bunch of laughs in St. Louis. 

Thinking of dangling Ingram for Gurley.

I'm heading to playoffs, sick of Ingram, and love the ATL and SF matchups.

Would you Gurley owners go for that?

I tried that in my dynasty league and the ingram guy wouldn't budge, but Gurley is way overpriced salary cap wise for our league. I was offered dirt cheap salries in Crowell and moncrief for Gurley and probably will take

Not in redraft or dynasty. If we are talking s/u RB in redraft just to unload him it would have to be someone with a little unknown upside like Rawls or Lewis. Maybe Booker. 

You'd do it for D. Lewis? Have him on my bench (along with Booker).
In ppr for sure I could consider. You have to realize Gurley owners are used to 7-9ppg with a 5% chance of TD and now Goff is starting. 2016 is a complete bust. In ppr I'd give serious thought to Lewis and a 50/50 chance that down the stretch he produces like last year vs. a 90% chance of Gurley maintains his mediocrity.

In ppr for sure I could consider. You have to realize Gurley owners are used to 7-9ppg with a 5% chance of TD and now Goff is starting. 2016 is a complete bust. In ppr I'd give serious thought to Lewis and a 50/50 chance that down the stretch he produces like last year vs. a 90% chance of Gurley maintains his mediocrity.
Gurley has been a deep disappointment, but I think you are selling him a bit short.  Typical game the last month was about 12 points, which isn't great but reasonable RB2 production, I'm guessing he probably scores roughly 3 TDs the rest of the way.  I couldn't imagine selling him for the never having played this year Lewis.

Gurley has been a deep disappointment, but I think you are selling him a bit short.  Typical game the last month was about 12 points, which isn't great but reasonable RB2 production, I'm guessing he probably scores roughly 3 TDs the rest of the way.  I couldn't imagine selling him for the never having played this year Lewis.
I wouldn't do it Lewis sight unseen, but if he plays this weekend and looks like his old self in limited touches, I would do it all day in PPR.

We likely all bought high on Gurley so the thought of selling now (likely his lowest value point) doesn't really make sense to me in any keeper or dynasty leagues.  I think the talent alone means you ride this all the way, even if that means straight into the ground.  

I can't imagine trading him in a Keeper or Dynasty league unless the return was significant. He's still young and immensely talented. Even if Fisher sticks around Goff can't be worse than Keenum has been so there has to be hope for a better tomorrow. And Gurley has been Top 20 in PPR for most of the season despite all his struggles. It's not like he's been unstartable. If he could start falling into some touchdowns at some point his outlook would brighten considerably. 

Yeah I know I'm probably reaching here but in Keeper and Dynasty formats I really wouldn't be getting rid of him. I'd be busy trying to acquire him. I still believe in his talent. 

Traded him yesterday with Landford for D Murray and Rawls - in dynasty - both teams in playoffs this year.
This is one of those deals that seems okay today but man. Rawls is hurt and Murray is what he is with Henry lurking. You may regret this one as soon a next season.

This is one of those deals that seems okay today but man. Rawls is hurt and Murray is what he is with Henry lurking. You may regret this one as soon a next season.
Won't regret it as much with $300 in my pocket.  Weeks 14-16 (playoffs) Murray plays the #28, #27, and #29 run defenses.  Yes, Gurley plays the 49ers week 16, but I gotta get there first - and his game AT the Seahawks week 15 is a no go in my mind.  Rawls is the wildcard here - and could be a low end #1 or high end #2 type RB next year. 

I can't imagine trading him in a Keeper or Dynasty league unless the return was significant. He's still young and immensely talented. Even if Fisher sticks around Goff can't be worse than Keenum has been so there has to be hope for a better tomorrow. And Gurley has been Top 20 in PPR for most of the season despite all his struggles. It's not like he's been unstartable. If he could start falling into some touchdowns at some point his outlook would brighten considerably. 

Yeah I know I'm probably reaching here but in Keeper and Dynasty formats I really wouldn't be getting rid of him. I'd be busy trying to acquire him. I still believe in his talent. 
For sure. I'm not even thinking about moving in dynasty. When you consider we have hit the absolute floor and he is a still a startable RB2 that's not so bad. I'm only talking about moving him in redraft.

Who knows, maybe Goff sparks the entire offense. Not holding my breath, but you never know.

For sure. I'm not even thinking about moving in dynasty. When you consider we have hit the absolute floor and he is a still a startable RB2 that's not so bad. I'm only talking about moving him in redraft.

Who knows, maybe Goff sparks the entire offense. Not holding my breath, but you never know.
I can't believe he'll be worse than Keenum. How can you be worse than scoring zero touchdowns in a game? Is it possible to score negative touchdowns? 

I still believe the primary issues for Gurley are playcalling and usage. Those are directly tied to Fisher and the offensive coaching staff. Unfortunately that situation hasn't changed but if Goff shows anything positive at all that can at least help him. Keenum clearly wasn't helping him at all. Nowhere to go but up at this point. You'd also think he'd luck into some touchdowns eventually. It's pretty crazy that a running back with his skill isn't finding the end zone more often even on a crap team. At some point you'd think that would even out in some fashion if he keeps getting the type of volume he's been getting. 

matttyl said:
Won't regret it as much with $300 in my pocket.  Weeks 14-16 (playoffs) Murray plays the #28, #27, and #29 run defenses.  Yes, Gurley plays the 49ers week 16, but I gotta get there first - and his game AT the Seahawks week 15 is a no go in my mind.  Rawls is the wildcard here - and could be a low end #1 or high end #2 type RB next year. 
I hear you. Can't argue with win now either.

I was offered Gurley, Moncrief, and a 1st (probably mid) for Bell and Beasley and I passed. Later that same day, the Gurley owner moved Gurley, Powell, Quick, and mid 2nd for Coleman, Freeman, Crowder, and a late 1st. 

matttyl said:
Rawls could also be Prosise's backup. 

He is amazing. End of story. 

But some situations cannot be overcome. I want him worse than I can imagine, but I cant give up the farm based on what I know he can do, as opposed to what gets done on the field. 

Fisher is killing him. Destroying, even. 

He is amazing. End of story. 

But some situations cannot be overcome. I want him worse than I can imagine, but I cant give up the farm based on what I know he can do, as opposed to what gets done on the field. 

Fisher is killing him. Destroying, even. 
Agree completely that Fisher is killing him slowly.   I just hope Fisher doesn't do that to Goff too (which is likely unfortunately) and set this franchise back a decade.  

I stand behind this, even as a Zeke owner (and not a gurley owner).

All things equal, if both were on teams w a solid oline and good offense, I would take Gurley 10/10 times.

Unfortuately, that just aint the case.

I stand behind this, even as a Zeke owner (and not a gurley owner).

All things equal, if both were on teams w a solid oline and good offense, I would take Gurley 10/10 times.

Unfortuately, that just aint the case.
I would too. Easy to argue against Gurley given the massive stats in favor of Elliott right now but I still believe Gurley is the superior talent. His situation is just abysmal. I'm not ripping on Elliott at all. I love the guy. I just think Gurley is stuck in an absolutely awful situation right now. If he was just in an average spot things would be so much better for him. Just give him a C situation and I think he'd be locked in as a Top 10 fantasy RB. That's it. Just a C situation. That's all he needs.

Unfortunately he has the absolute worst in terms of nearly everything imaginable in terms of what he needs in terms of situation, coaching, play-calling etc. It's the perfect storm of awfulness. And like Greg Cosell said recently it's beginning to affect him. He's not always running with the same assertiveness as he has in the past. Can't blame him either. Can't be fun being asked to run the same play calls time after time after time that he knows aren't going to work when he has to know there are things he can do that will work that Fisher and the offensive coaches simply aren't intelligent enough to design for him to do on a weekly basis.

But hey, dial up another Benny Cunningham run from the 1-inch line and see how that one goes fellas. That's a real winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if there is a regime change in LA if they would consider a Trent Richardson style move and trade him? We can only hope and dream. 

Gandalf said:
I feel like a lot of people forget just how good Gurley looked last season.

He looks exactly the same except he isn't ripping off a 60 yarder every now and then, or punching in any short TDs. The writing was on the wall. We just didn't want to see it. That team is a mess and he isn't proving to be like a Ladanian who can over come it. The Rams need to get better for him to shine. 

Users who are viewing this thread