What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (3 Viewers)

I'm not into NCAAF but that's just a joke. To be penalized for selling your autograph (which to me is kind of a #### move, but hey your a college kid and money is money) why would you suspend someone? You know UGA is making loads off that kid's back, he can't get 40 dollars for walking around money?

3quinox said:
I'm not into NCAAF but that's just a joke. To be penalized for selling your autograph (which to me is kind of a #### move, but hey your a college kid and money is money) why would you suspend someone? You know UGA is making loads off that kid's back, he can't get 40 dollars for walking around money?
Its against the rules so why is it a joke? Rules are the rules.

Gurley is alleged to have received $400 to sign 80 pieces of memorabilia on the Georgia campus this past spring, according to several media reports.
Mark Emmert, head of the NCAA, makes $1.7 million.

#### the NCAA.

Gurley is alleged to have received $400 to sign 80 pieces of memorabilia on the Georgia campus this past spring, according to several media reports.
Mark Emmert, head of the NCAA, makes $1.7 million.

#### the NCAA.
And all these guys do is figure out ways to exploit college kids. They don't generate revenue, they just negotiate with the given leverage that is athletes and teams that people will pay to see. They only govern like this is amateur athletics when dealing with players like Gurley, or even worse, like guys like Jeremy Bloom. But when they're in billion dollar negotiations with ESPN, it becomes a business again. 'Joke' is again unbelievably apt word here.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Good. Get to work on that 40 get-off, Gurley.
THere is some truth to this. We've seen more than one pro career derailed or impacted by a late college career injury. There is a lot of money on the line.

ConnSKINS26 said:
Good. Get to work on that 40 get-off, Gurley.
THere is some truth to this. We've seen more than one pro career derailed or impacted by a late college career injury. There is a lot of money on the line.
Gurley can make himself more money by shaving .05 seconds off his 40 time than he ever could finishing this college season, Heisman or no. NFL teams know what he can do on the field and by all accounts he's a pretty good kid off of it. But if he hits a low 4.4 at his size...the hype will be off the charts. Stay healthy, kill the agility and speed drills, show natural hands in the receiving drills...those should be his goals between now and April.

At some point this type of punishment will end. There's no way they can continue to punish players like this. At some point they will either start paying players or give them a percentage of the money that is made in cases like this.

Gurley has nothing to worry about with his 40 time. This won't hurt or help his draft stock IMO. He's going to be a monster and drafted highly regardless.

Yes, the NCAA is a joke. Yeah, rules are rules but hypocrisy is hypocrisy as well. The NCAA is full of it. I wish Gurley would have been smarter and followed the rules. It sucks we won't get to see him continue his awesome season.

There is a very slight chance that all this "negativity" towards him drives his stock down, albeit not a whole lot. If you can save a an extra 3rd round pick to grab him then hell, I'm buying all day.

Yes, the NCAA is a joke. Yeah, rules are rules but hypocrisy is hypocrisy as well. The NCAA is full of it. I wish Gurley would have been smarter and followed the rules. It sucks we won't get to see him continue his awesome season.
Yep, dumb by Gurley to break the rule that he knew existed for a few bucks just 6 months before he was set to make millions, but not half as dumb as the rule in the first place.

Just ridiculous that Gurley isn't allowed to make money off his own likeness but the NCAA can make as much money as they want off his likeness without him being compensated for it at all.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
Yes, the NCAAF is a steaming pile of hypocrisy. The NFL also happens to be a steaming pile of hypocrisy. I love the game but at some point these institutions will ruin it.

Nonetheless, this is (in some small way) a benefit to Gurley. I've been holding my breathe that he won't have some kind of Lattimore-McGahee injury. That would be the only thing to keep him from being a 1st round RB. He might slide a bit now, but will still be the best RB to come out of this class (although he could be drafted as the 2nd or 3rd RB).

Honestly this just increases his chances of going to a decent team in the mid-to-late 1st round rather than a dumpster team like the Jax-Oak-NYJ, etc., in the early 1st. Put this guy on Baltimore-Detroit-Minny-Carolina-ATLANTA... he's a stud year 1. Would hate to seem him get the Sjax treatment for the majority of his useful career.

3quinox said:
Its against the rules so why is it a joke? Rules are the rules.
Am I the only one around here who gives a #### about the rules?

This must be kind of exciting for the Chubb guys on here. Accelerates the timetable on him becoming a generally accepted premier devy asset.

This must be kind of exciting for the Chubb guys on here. Accelerates the timetable on him becoming a generally accepted premier devy asset.
UGA has been using Michel as the 2nd string runner. It will be interesting to see if that changes.

Everyone KNEW J. Football was selling memorabilia and nothing....black kid does it and suspended.......
FYI, Georgia suspended him, not the NCAA so your cry for racism means nothing. Different schools make different decisions.

I believe there is a black QB down there at Florida St accused for rapping a poor girl who has only missed 1 game (not due to the rape charge) while a whole team of white kids from a lacrosse team were suspended and brought up on criminal charges with less facts.

You sound ridiculous! top with the racism crap

Yep, dumb by Gurley to break the rule that he knew existed for a few bucks just 6 months before he was set to make millions, but not half as dumb as the rule in the first place.

Just ridiculous that Gurley isn't allowed to make money off his own likeness but the NCAA can make as much money as they want off his likeness without him being compensated for it at all.
:tinfoilhat:

What if Gurley and his handlers had him get busted on purpose so he wouldn't have to expose himself to injury risk for the rest of the season? Once he tore it up this year he knew he was a top 10 lock for sure and his stock could only go down (especially with injury, see Lattimore, Marcus).

So get nabbed for about as milquetoast of a violation as there is which won't push you down team draft boards and sit back and wait for April.

:tinfoilhat:

What if Gurley and his handlers had him get busted on purpose so he wouldn't have to expose himself to injury risk for the rest of the season? Once he tore it up this year he knew he was a top 10 lock for sure and his stock could only go down (especially with injury, see Lattimore, Marcus).

So get nabbed for about as milquetoast of a violation as there is which won't push you down team draft boards and sit back and wait for April.
Who plays Gurley? Is it Jamie Fox?

Gurley back in 2 weeks.

NCAA, still a joke.
Hopefully a bunch of low- to mid-tier schools band together and leave the NCAA and form their own association and compensate players.

For anyone who hasn't seen the documentary Schooled (it's on Netflix) it's very educational re: the evolution of the entire NCAA student-athlete system.

Gurley back in 2 weeks.

NCAA, still a joke.
Hopefully a bunch of low- to mid-tier schools band together and leave the NCAA and form their own association and compensate players.

For anyone who hasn't seen the documentary Schooled (it's on Netflix) it's very educational re: the evolution of the entire NCAA student-athlete system.
Thanks, will look it up.

Gurley back in 2 weeks.

NCAA, still a joke.

Thanks, will look it up.
I haven't watched it yet, but I think the name of the show is "Schooled: The Price of College Sports" - http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70291153?trkid=13641790

I find it hilarious/sad that the NCAA is requiring Gurley to perform community service. WTF are they to require something like that? Do community service or you can't play in a football game? You want to suspend him, then so be it. But that seems well beyond the scope of a college athletic association when no criminal laws were broken.

If I'm Gurley, I hold a big middle finger up to them, sit out the rest of the year, get drafted exactly where I would have been anyway and start making tons of $$$.

I find it hilarious/sad that the NCAA is requiring Gurley to perform community service. WTF are they to require something like that? Do community service or you can't play in a football game? You want to suspend him, then so be it. But that seems well beyond the scope of a college athletic association when no criminal laws were broken.

If I'm Gurley, I hold a big middle finger up to them, sit out the rest of the year, get drafted exactly where I would have been anyway and start making tons of $$$.
Wow I didn't realize they penalized him with community service. Isn't he already doing that every Saturday? What a joke. Talking about overstepping your bounds. He should call their bluff and not do the service. They'll be begging for him to play. He's already a millionaire. I'd tell them to get stuffed.

Wow I didn't realize they penalized him with community service. Isn't he already doing that every Saturday? What a joke. Talking about overstepping your bounds. He should call their bluff and not do the service. They'll be begging for him to play. He's already a millionaire. I'd tell them to get stuffed.
An error occurredYou have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Gotta get him back for those Georgia/Auburn ratings. :moneybag:

tdmills said:
Soulfly3 said:
jurb26 said:
Soulfly3 said:
Amari cooper goes no1 in probably 99.8% of drafts next year.
So ya, if it's the no1 pick, he traded Cooper for lafell
Funny thing is, one has never played an NFL snap and one MIGHT be the new no1 receiver on one of the most monsterous offenses in the league.
Sure, we can 'laugh' at the trade now, and I wasnt being totally sincere when I called the trade 'fair value' but in a few weeks, if Lafell's upward trend continues... It COULD be a very good trade.
We'll see
Huh? Cooper is probably 3 as best. Gurley is going 1 and Gordon is going 2. Maybe Cooper sneaks in there for a couple PPR leagues but even then it's nothing close to 90% of the time.
Its 2015 by then. People still take RBs w their no1/2 pick? Really? I LOOOOOVE gordon and gurley. Freaks.
Wouldnt even contemplate taking either before Cooper or white.
Very very few 3 down rbs that are young and do goal line work. Maybe only Bell, shady, Murray. Cooper is good, not great though and wr position is deep. Ppr works in favor of gurley easily and maybe for Gordon too.

Gurley is averaging 8.2 ypc...in the SEC. No other top rb prospect out of the sec has been close to that. Not Bo, Herschel, Hearst, trich, DMC, Ingram or even AP.
Henry Ford said:
tdmills said:
Henry Ford said:
tdmills said:
If I knew the stats of all those players, then I'm sure I knew where he went to college.
Then you probably knew that Oklahoma isn't in the SEC.
Which is why the sentence lists a bunch of Sec rbs and then says "or even AP" which is changing direction in the list. If I had stated "and AP" then you would have a valid point.

This is the kind of petty crap that makes the shark pool a waste of time. Congrats on pulling out tiny facts trying to be witty or feel better about yourself.
I in no way intended to bother or insult you with this. Certainly not trying to upset you. There's an actual point to pulling Adrian Peterson out of that list as a result of his playing for Oklahoma - the Big 12 rushing leaders are generally statistically well below the SEC leaders. I misunderstood what you were saying, obviously, but my point is that even this season, the qualified rushing leader in the Big 12 is over 2 ypc lower than the SEC.

I like Gurley a lot - and likely will draft him if I end up with the #1 pick through a trade - but comparing SEC numbers to Peterson's numbers doesn't give as much information as it looks like at first blush. As far as I know, DeMarco Murray is the only running back in the last decade from Oklahoma to average 6 ypc. There's an SEC running back who averages at least 7.0 ypc nearly every year.

Again - not trying to be a jerk, just honestly suggesting that if Peterson had been on, say, Arkansas in 2007 like first round pick Felix Jones was, he may have been closer to the 8.7 ypc that Jones had.
SEC is the top conference hands down in college football for quite some time. Running for a high average in any other conference doesn't mean the same(at least not in my eyes). Now when you mention Felix Jones, well that's a different animal because he had those gimmick plays(like Melvin Gordon did prior to this year) which isn't going to be used at the NFL level and gives a false evaluation of the prospect.

AP was great in college, DeMarco Murray averaged 6 his freshman year and fell to the 4's later in his college career...but they weren't close to what Gurley is doing.

Overall, my point was that Todd Gurley is the top prospect in rookie drafts by a mile. I don't think people truly appreciate what he's been able to do at Georgia. Nick Chubb has had a very good freshman season at Georgia, but even he is averaging 5.7 ypc compared to 8.2 for Gurley. That tells me it's not the OL or him playing cupcake teams....it's Gurley.

For those that want Amari Cooper....yes he's had a great year. But unless a WR has Julio/Calvin measurables...they aren't close to Gurley.

Sorry if it's been mentioned.

Just had a question. Can a player sell a picture? Like take a selfie with Gurley for $10?

Is that allowed in the NCAA?

Overall, my point was that Todd Gurley is the top prospect in rookie drafts by a mile. I don't think people truly appreciate what he's been able to do at Georgia. Nick Chubb has had a very good freshman season at Georgia, but even he is averaging 5.7 ypc compared to 8.2 for Gurley. That tells me it's not the OL or him playing cupcake teams....it's Gurley.

For those that want Amari Cooper....yes he's had a great year. But unless a WR has Julio/Calvin measurables...they aren't close to Gurley.
Agreed 100%. I'm fully onboard the Gurley train, the guy just has it all. Speed, power, strength, burst. He's a guy that can be a horse in between the tackles and a homerun hitter all in one, a la Peterson. And it's not just that he can kinda sorta break off long runs every once in a while, he can do that with the best of them. He has that rare combination of huge lower leg strength to run through tackles and excellent burst up to speed. That's what leads to those long runs, the ability to run through arm tackles without it slowing you down and then have the long speed to not get caught.

He will be on my fantasy teams. I don't care what it takes.

comfortably numb, on 01 Nov 2014 - 06:17 AM, said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned.

Just had a question. Can a player sell a picture? Like take a selfie with Gurley for $10?

Is that allowed in the NCAA?
Only the NCAA can profit from a player's image.
So true. Ready for the ncaa to take their holier than thou act somewhere else. Too bad the unionization efforts didn't lead to much.

Deep down he probably wishes they just kept him suspended entire year. He'd never admit that though.

Georgia junior RB Todd Gurley left Saturday's 34-7 win over Auburn with a left knee injury.
Prior to the injury, Gurley rushed for 138 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries. "Todd Gurley's left knee being iced. He's sitting on the training table, being consoled by Mitchell and Scott-Wesley, among others," beat writer Seth Emerson tweeted. The replays did not look good. He later walked into the locker room prior to the game's finish.

So, which is it? Some say it didn't look serious, yet this beat writer tweeted it didn't look good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Georgia junior RB Todd Gurley left Saturday's 34-7 win over Auburn with a left knee injury.
Prior to the injury, Gurley rushed for 138 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries. "Todd Gurley's left knee being iced. He's sitting on the training table, being consoled by Mitchell and Scott-Wesley, among others," beat writer Seth Emerson tweeted. The replays did not look good. He later walked into the locker room prior to the game's finish.

So, which is it? Some say it didn't look serious, yet this beat writer tweeted it didn't look good.
Doctors on twitter are saying that the mechanism is very suggestive of an ACL tear, though obviously we'll have to wait for the MRI.

Edit:

By video analysis, TODD GURLEY @FootballUGA appears to tear his left knee ACL in 1st game back. Really hope I am wrong and the film lies.

-David J. Chao, MD (@ProFootballDoc)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread