What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (6 Viewers)

FF Ninja said:
Based on the fact that he had 5 games to heal. But it is really a minor point compared to the fact that he's at best the third WR on that team. I don't really care if he puts up fantasy WR4 points to outscore Godwin's WR5 points this year. Both are bench players for 2018 and bench points don't matter. I think Godwin is more likely to be a fantasy starter in 2019. But I don't have a dog in this fight so I don't really care.
I own each in a league, I like Golladay a little more from a talent perspective (but admittedly it's hard to get a good grasp at this point). I think it's hard to say who will get more opportunity in 2019 at this point. If I was forced to start one all year, in 2018, (of course I do not have to) my money would be on Golladay being in a better passing offense with more perceived talent. While bench points don't matter, like you said, instant production does lead to a higher trade value or allow you to trade a WR ahead of him on your depth chart,

You could be right about 2019 but it's hard to know what the Bucs will be doing at that point. Maybe they use an early pick this year or next year on a WR, maybe they sign some one in the 2019 offseason. Maybe Jones or Tate are released by the Lions next offseason and Jackson is kept by the Bucs.

Too much speculation for the future so if I had to pick I'd keep Golladay - but admittedly we are splitting hairs at this point and both could end up being future studs or marginal fantasy assets.

In a non-PPR, non-premium TE scoring league, what is Evan Engram worth?

have had multiple offers and struggling with what to ask for/accept. 

My thought is a 1.04-1.06 pick. 
That range seems realistic for his value under those settings but my guess is that others would be reluctant to pay it. I have him ranked as TE4 in dynasty and I probably should move Gronk down a little. It may be a case where holding a little longer is the way to go.

I own each in a league, I like Golladay a little more from a talent perspective (but admittedly it's hard to get a good grasp at this point). I think it's hard to say who will get more opportunity in 2019 at this point. If I was forced to start one all year, in 2018, (of course I do not have to) my money would be on Golladay being in a better passing offense with more perceived talent. While bench points don't matter, like you said, instant production does lead to a higher trade value or allow you to trade a WR ahead of him on your depth chart,

You could be right about 2019 but it's hard to know what the Bucs will be doing at that point. Maybe they use an early pick this year or next year on a WR, maybe they sign some one in the 2019 offseason. Maybe Jones or Tate are released by the Lions next offseason and Jackson is kept by the Bucs.

Too much speculation for the future so if I had to pick I'd keep Golladay - but admittedly we are splitting hairs at this point and both could end up being future studs or marginal fantasy assets.
I could be wrong, but I feel like Golliday was drafted higher than anyone expected, yet still below Godwin. So while draft pedigree does matter, I take it with a grain of salt because it is certainly possible the Lions just reached a couple rounds for him because... Lions. Pre-draft I had read a lot of good things about Godwin from various trusted sources while I hadn't heard a peep about Golliday. I feel like all the Golliday hype came from a surprise (end of) 3rd round draft selection and the preseason.

Godwin, however, was projected for 2nd/3rd round and hit the mark. He started two real games (as opposed to preaseaon) and looked damn good in them. 

I think there is almost a 0% chance Jones is released. Compared to WR contracts this year, he's a bargain. Tate and DeSean are both free agents, but with Tate being a big part of the offense and 2 years younger, I think he's much more likely to return than DeSean. I also think DeSean is more likely to miss time in 2018. But yeah, there's a lot of speculation here and you're right we're kind of splitting hairs. I found the topic interesting since I'm pondering who I could get with my non-first round picks and these guys had both crossed my mind. I just felt Godwin was much more compelling for the reasons above (like you, I wouldn't need this player to produce in 2018). 

Thoughts on D Foreman, what would you sell and buy him for?
I'd gladly take a late first or early second for him before the nfl draft because Houston could very easily draft someone that makes him irrelevant.  

After the NFL draft, assuming everything stays the same, i would probably pay an early second for him. I've heard his recovery is going well and that he is going to compete for the starting job but teams  almost always say nice things about players who are recovering.  The Texans can tell us a lot more about how they really feel his recovery is progressing by their actual draft decisions.  

I would rather pay a mid 2019 first for him after week 3 than an early second now, though.  The best case is to see him do it on the field and still get a relative bargain  so if you think that's an option based on the other who has him now, then I'd throw reasonable but low offers out from time to time while monitoring his progress and then suddenly up my offer later once I've seen all I need to see. 

I think that's way too much for a TE in that format.  If I were in this type of league, I'd be looking for boom/bust TD machines at TE.  Someone like Eifert, Reed, or one of the lesser young prospects.

Dr. Octopus said:
What are you basing this on? Everything I’ve read said Golladay was never fully recovered - and he missed five games. 
He was not fully recovered, read multiple things that said it was just something he had to deal with but it was an issue which dogged him in camp and resurfaced later. Dogged him all year to some extent.

Great hype piece here: Golladay next up for NFL stardom

As a fantasy angle my biggest concern with him would be if he's more in the Marvin Jones pure deep threat mold and more of a 100 target range guy. Marvin has been highly efficient with the Lions with that kind of limited use, but I typically like to target WR's I think can get more volume. Not sure yet if Golladay will evolve into someone that commands a bigger piece of the pie. I recall as a prospect one of the major concerns with him was his YAC was not very good in college, the short game is not going to be an area he's likely to wrack up a lot of fantasy points.

Price check on Keenan Allen and Julio.

Current roster construction:

QBs - Watson, Stafford

RBs - Gurley, Hyde, DJJ, Ivory, D'Onta Foreman

WRs - Brandon Coleman, Cooper, Landry, Josh Reynolds, Paul Richardson, Taywan Taylor, Carlos Henderson

TEs - Butt, Dickson, Eifert, ASJ, Everett

12 team .5 PPR, TE Premium (1 PPR), 4 pt passing TDs

I hold the 2018 1.03, 2018 1.05, and 2018 1.09 picks  (I just acquired the 2018 1.09 by trading Cobb, Zay Jones, and 2018 4.05)

I agree: I'd need to the 1.04 to sell him and would happily pay the 1.06 to buy him.  

Edit: Sorry, I missed the non-PPR bit. I think you keep the pick and go RB.  It's been a while since I've played non-ppr, so I'd have to give it some thought beyond that. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd rather keep the pick and sluff TE in that format.

So, in a 1PPR 1.5TE PPR dynasty league, Kelce for Dalvin Cook just went down. 

imo, Kelce has significantly more value, but it seems most ppl disagree w me.

How valuable is Cook, exactly? Maybe I shouldve made a run for him

It's been years since I've played 1.5 PPR (TE), so I can't comment on his value in that format, relative to Kelce. 

That said, I think Cook's value is about the 1.02.  I'm willing to gamble on him, but do admit that there's a convincing argument that he's overrated.  His injury history is murky and it's odd that we're increasing his value after a potentially serious injury.  Guice and Michel have just enough flags for me to prefer Cook, however.  

I'd move Green, Allen, Freeman, or McCaffrey for him, to throw some names out there.  

rank these prospects for me please, going to have my pick of two of these in the next 6 picks, having trouble really differentiating some of them as far as tiers. 2 picks before my pick, then i pick again 3 picks later

RJ 2

Penny

Moore

Kirk

Ridley

K Johnson

Washington

The question is how much Kelce's 28 years age bothers you relative to TE career length versus Cook's 22 years relative to RB career length.  Because Cook is going to have a hard time outscoring Kelce in that format unless Kelce takes a big step back with Mahomes.

Kelce scores 18.5ppg in that format which would have been the equivalent of RB4 behind only Gurley, Zeke, and Kamara.  So you really have to believe Cook will be a Zeke/Gurley level player to outscore that straight up.

rank these prospects for me please, going to have my pick of two of these in the next 6 picks, having trouble really differentiating some of them as far as tiers. 2 picks before my pick, then i pick again 3 picks later

RJ 2

Penny

Moore

Kirk

Ridley

K Johnson

Washington
Update

RJ2 and ridley were taken, I took Moore. Wrestled between he and Penny. I took Chubb at 1.04, and I think Moore is a potential ppr stud, doubt there is a chance of penny making it back to me, but i should have a look at Kirk

Update

RJ2 and ridley were taken, I took Moore. Wrestled between he and Penny. I took Chubb at 1.04, and I think Moore is a potential ppr stud, doubt there is a chance of penny making it back to me, but i should have a look at Kirk
I hate drafting rookies before the NFL draft.

So much of their value, especially this year it seems, is dependent on landing spot. 

Good luck getting Penny though - I dig him.

So much of their value, especially this year it seems, is dependent on landing spot. 

Thanks.

I could take it or leave it. I think that most people would like to think it adds a skill element to the draft, I personally think it add more of a luck element for certain prospects. Im fine with it, I nerd out in the off season anyway so Im comfortable usually going with my gut, but I felt like i was going to get a choice between a few guys who were of similar value and was curious what the community thought

I got him around RB 8-9 and  startup value in the 12-15 range. Even in this format I'd take him over any TE and not because I don't value TE.

I'd prefer Kelce in 1.5 PPR for a TE over Cook.

Cook is in the RB 8-10 range for me right now. 

If Cook were in this upcoming rookie draft, I'd put him at 1.3- behind Barkley and Guice- and yes, I think Guice is a top 10 dynasty RB. I think Guice goes mid to late first to an above average team and rips it up. Also know I'm in the minority on this as well.

I'd prefer Kelce in 1.5 PPR for a TE over Cook.

Cook is in the RB 8-10 range for me right now. 

If Cook were in this upcoming rookie draft, I'd put him at 1.3- behind Barkley and Guice- and yes, I think Guice is a top 10 dynasty RB. I think Guice goes mid to late first to an above average team and rips it up. Also know I'm in the minority on this as well.
I would too and I am a huge Cook fanboi

I played in a league like that years ago, and I remember some poor guy picking Jonathan Dwyer with the 1.03 and then watching him go undrafted 

I'd pay 10, 11, 12 for him.  I wouldn't pay 3 future 1sts, however.  Hard to say with any certainty beyond that, as 1sts have a wide range of value.  I'd pay 6 and 8, but not 3 and 5.
Ended up getting 2018 1.10/3.10 and 2019 1st/2nd round picks. 

Hoping I did not screw the pooch. 

Ended up getting 2018 1.10/3.10 and 2019 1st/2nd round picks. 

Hoping I did not screw the pooch. 
For Mixon, right?  That's way light and looks to be a bad deal unless that 2019 is way early, and even so the RB class pales in comparison to the last two years.  I don't put a lot of stock on using rookie picks on WR's but if you're comfortable with that you have a chance to be rewarded - that class is loaded at the position.

For Mixon, right?  That's way light and looks to be a bad deal unless that 2019 is way early, and even so the RB class pales in comparison to the last two years.  I don't put a lot of stock on using rookie picks on WR's but if you're comfortable with that you have a chance to be rewarded - that class is loaded at the position.
One of the reasons I thought I would be ok doing the trade is that Mixon would have been my RB5 going into next season.

Though I guess, now, due to universal agreement that I made a bad deal, I see that I should have held out for more...or not dealt Muxon at all. 

Thanks guys. 

One of the reasons I thought I would be ok doing the trade is that Mixon would have been my RB5 going into next season.

Though I guess, now, due to universal agreement that I made a bad deal, I see that I should have held out for more...or not dealt Muxon at all. 

Thanks guys. 
That's an easy trap to fall into, but it's like saying "I can sell my 2nd car valued at $10k for $8k because I rarely drive it".  It's worth what it's worth and if you're not selling it for that price it's generally best to hold out.  Especially young RB, they can appreciate a lot faster than a beat to hell Infiniti can ;) I've done it too often, so I know the pain, you make a deal and look at it the next day and think "how did I even get to the point I thought that was a good deal???".  And it's almost always when I move a guy I am low on compared to the market too.

Just posting as a reference point:

I got offered a '19 2nd (probably late) for Marlon Mack this morning.  I'm pretty weak at RB so it makes no sense for me to make that deal but thought it was useful info if anyone was wondering.  

Spike said:

Thanks guys. 
Not a bad deal. Perhaps you got 85 cents on the dollar- so you might have lost some valuation but Mixon is far from proven and you haven't even made your picks yet, so I wouldn't worry that much.

Compare Mahomes to the rookie QBs..

I know it's a challenge, especially before we really see what the NFL thinks or where they land. But what do you think right now? 

If you were to trade Mahomes what picks would you need?

Thanks.

I could take it or leave it. I think that most people would like to think it adds a skill element to the draft, I personally think it add more of a luck element for certain prospects. Im fine with it, I nerd out in the off season anyway so Im comfortable usually going with my gut, but I felt like i was going to get a choice between a few guys who were of similar value and was curious what the community thought
I have a draft coming up here as well. I like it because you get some action early in the year. 

Just passing on some data points from a 12 team, 0.5PPR, start 1/2/2/1/flex (along with K and DEF). I have multiple picks and have been putting out feelers for studs; prices so far. 

DJ: guy wants 1.02 + 1.05 + 1.08

Nuk: guy offered Nuk + 1.10 for Cooper + 1.02 + 1.05 + 1.08 + 2.07

I’ve passed so far.  No response from 1.01 owner.  Zeke owner isn’t interested in trading him. 

I know it's a challenge, especially before we really see what the NFL thinks or where they land. But what do you think right now? 

As (fantasy) prospects, I like Jackson, Darnold, Mayfield, Rosen, and maybe even Allen more than I liked Mahomes at this point.  Mahomes' situation is ideal, however.

I'd want an early 2nd and an early 3rd.  You could turn that into Brady and one of the top 3 QBs, which feels like a sizable win to me. 

I would tier it like this

Watson

Mahomes - high upside, all the pieces are in place, downside if he fails is Bortles with better coaching

Mayfield / Darnold / Trubisky - tempted to put Mayfield higher, but chance he starts off as a backup in Miami messes with his value a little. I view Darnold and Mitch as only moderate upside, which nullifies any higher safety they might have over Mahomes. This would change in Superflex or 2QB where I'd value long term starter a bit higher.

Jackson / Rosen - not expecting Jackson to be a long term starter but will be startable and tradeable when he does start. 

Allen / Kizer - pretty much hate Allen and would try to trade off the pick if he was best value pick remaining.

The presence of Mayfield makes "what pick would you need" more interesting. Assuming he is taken at or before Miami's 11th pick, and I can still get him in the 3rd, a 3rd OTC plus something would be interesting to me. I would not trade Mahomes for any 2nd on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread