What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (11 Viewers)

Have been negotiating with a new owner in the league. Mainly trying to get Olave. He has made an informal offer that I said was too much, but I'm really starting to consider it ... It's a huge overpay, but a certain amount of overpay can be worth it. I think it's too much though, do I need to step back from the ledge? Let me know.

12-team, 20-man PPR, Q RR WW F D K (This lineup means top scoring players have huge value, which is why I go hard after potential superstars. Something like WR30, for instance, could be called replacement level.)

I give 1.11, 2.04 and Higgins.

I get Olave.

Higgins is really nice, sure, very serviceable. But I feel like Olave has way more superstar potential. Rookie picks, well, they're rookie picks. Would get guys like Worthy/McConkey maybe and/or a top 4 rookie RB.

ETA: Currently if I did cutdowns today, I'd be losing out on a 3.08, 3.12, and cutting guys like Emanuel Wilson. So basically since it's a 3-for-1, you could say I'm also getting back Emanuel Wilson and the 3.08.

Have been negotiating with a new owner in the league. Mainly trying to get Olave. He has made an informal offer that I said was too much, but I'm really starting to consider it ... It's a huge overpay, but a certain amount of overpay can be worth it. I think it's too much though, do I need to step back from the ledge? Let me know.

12-team, 20-man PPR, Q RR WW F D K (This lineup means top scoring players have huge value, which is why I go hard after potential superstars. Something like WR30, for instance, could be called replacement level.)

I get Olave.

Higgins is really nice, sure, very serviceable. But I feel like Olave has way more superstar potential. Rookie picks, well, they're rookie picks. Would get guys like Worthy/McConkey maybe and/or a top 4 rookie RB.

ETA: Currently if I did cutdowns today, I'd be losing out on a 3.08, 3.12, and cutting guys like Emanuel Wilson. So basically since it's a 3-for-1, you could say I'm also getting back Emanuel Wilson and the 3.08.
I’d rather have Higgins and the picks

I get Olave.

I may be in the minority but give me Olave

I get Olave.

I’d rather have Olave. Higgins hammies are made of glass.

And I have Higgins in a league still.

@eighsse2 - I recently traded for Olave with Higgins being the centerpiece of the offer - obviously different league settings, but here is what we did for your reference:
12 team, IDP, contracts - 40 man roster, 12 man taxi - the offensive lineup is 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex

I gave up Higgins (5 years), Terry McLaurin (2 years), Tremaine Edmunds (open - will be franchised with very favorable franchise rules), 4.12 pick

I received Olave (3 years), Dotson (2 years ) and pick 2.12

I really like Olave, and really the biggest hang up for me though was losing 2 years of contract in dealing Higgins. However, it now gives me a WR core of Garret Wilson, Jaylen Waddle and Chris Olave and the deal allowed me to keep my 1.11 pick.

For your situation, I think I'd like to be getting a little more back with Olave, maybe a later 2nd or early 3rd so that the deal was more Higgins, 1.11 and a trade back. But, if you are convinced on Olave being a super star, and given your short starting lineup requirements, I could certainly see making a bit of an overpay for someone that should be a top 10 at the position for several years.

I get Olave.

Not gonna lie; my first thought was “Who TF is Emanuel Wilson.”

I get Olave.

I’m with you. Olave all the way in that trade.

@eighsse2 - I recently traded for Olave with Higgins being the centerpiece of the offer - obviously different league settings, but here is what we did for your reference:
12 team, IDP, contracts - 40 man roster, 12 man taxi - the offensive lineup is 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 flex

I gave up Higgins (5 years), Terry McLaurin (2 years), Tremaine Edmunds (open - will be franchised with very favorable franchise rules), 4.12 pick

I received Olave (3 years), Dotson (2 years ) and pick 2.12

I really like Olave, and really the biggest hang up for me though was losing 2 years of contract in dealing Higgins. However, it now gives me a WR core of Garret Wilson, Jaylen Waddle and Chris Olave and the deal allowed me to keep my 1.11 pick.

For your situation, I think I'd like to be getting a little more back with Olave, maybe a later 2nd or early 3rd so that the deal was more Higgins, 1.11 and a trade back. But, if you are convinced on Olave being a super star, and given your short starting lineup requirements, I could certainly see making a bit of an overpay for someone that should be a top 10 at the position for several years.
What's the IDP scoring like? My main league gives 3 points for a solo tackle, and the Higgins/McLaurin/Edmunds side would be the hands down winner there.

I get Olave.

I'd take Olave over Higgins due to age and injuries but I don't think Olave has more potential then Higgins, does not have superstar potential, does not IMO have a lot more upside then he's already shown.

I could get behind kicking in the 2.4 with Higgins, that'd be as high as I'd go.

10 Man Start 11(2QB) Full PPR

If you had a WR room of Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Nico Collins, DK Metcalf, Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers, would you be willing to package Addison and Zay to go and get Amon-Ra?

I won the league last year but I still lack a true bonafide number 1 at WR.

RBs are pretty stacked with Bijan, Gibbs, Kyren and White.

If you had a WR room of Brandon Aiyuk, Tee Higgins, Nico Collins, DK Metcalf, Jordan Addison and Zay Flowers, would you be willing to package Addison and Zay to go and get Amon-Ra?

Yes. Without question.

What's the IDP scoring like? My main league gives 3 points for a solo tackle, and the Higgins / McLaurin/Edmunds side would be the hands down winner there.
2pt/tackle, but as noted poorly, the nuance is that he is an RFA so he will either need to be franchised, with our rules its favorable to the franchising team, or if the new owner decided to franchise a different player, then he would have to pay up to match any RFA bids on him. In a sense it was more dealing the rights to Edmunds.

In a subsequent deal with a different owner, I traded for the rights to Roquan Smith who I intend to franchise.

What's the IDP scoring like? My main league gives 3 points for a solo tackle, and the Higgins / McLaurin/Edmunds side would be the hands down winner there.
2pt/tackle, but as noted poorly, the nuance is that he is an RFA so he will either need to be franchised, with our rules its favorable to the franchising team, or if the new owner decided to franchise a different player, then he would have to pay up to match any RFA bids on him. In a sense it was more dealing the rights to Edmunds.

In a subsequent deal with a different owner, I traded for the rights to Roquan Smith who I intend to franchise.
Sounds like a great league setup.

Absolutely

That's probably the cheapest combo of all your WRs to go get a legit tier 1B guy. Coupled with Addison's current QB questions....no brainer.

Sounds like a great league setup.
It is definitely one of the more complex leagues I'm in. It can get a bit complicated to value players as you have to factor in contract years remaining, cost to retain players, strategy in assigning contracts, etc.

Has anyone seen any trades involving Josh Jacobs since he signed with the Pack? Trying to gauge his value in a 12 team PPR league since the move.

In 1QB FFPC, Jacobs was traded straight up for Devonta Smith literally hours after the Packers signing was announced. In this league, the team that acquired Jacobs made 40-plus trades last season and has already completed more than a dozen since January.

So I have an offer on the table of the #23 and #33 overall picks for my Browns defense. Our defensive scoring is mostly from yardage, turnovers, and DST touchdowns. Last year the Browns were the 2nd highest scoring DST in our format. These were the top 12 last year:

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Normally I would give a DST for a decent pick + a garbage pick in a heartbeat. But I'm not used to having a top DST. But still it seems like these numbers can be all over the place year to year ... Is Browns DST really worth a bit?

Thoughts?

So I have an offer on the table of the #23 and #33 overall picks for my Browns defense. Our defensive scoring is mostly from yardage, turnovers, and DST touchdowns. Last year the Browns were the 2nd highest scoring DST in our format. These were the top 12 last year:

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Normally I would give a DST for a decent pick + a garbage pick in a heartbeat. But I'm not used to having a top DST. But still it seems like these numbers can be all over the place year to year ... Is Browns DST really worth a bit?

Thoughts?

Picks easily. You can always trade for a better D during the season if you need to. It really only matters come playoff time anyway and we don’t know the schedule yet. Plus, this is a deep draft and there are players I’d be pretty excited about at 33. Picks all day long.

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?

Picks easily. You can always trade for a better D during the season if you need to. It really only matters come playoff time anyway and we don’t know the schedule yet. Plus, this is a deep draft and there are players I’d be pretty excited about at 33. Picks all day long.
Interesting. Thank you.

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?

Also I just did a little looking back to see if the Browns D "helped" me win the championship, though that is kind of a random thing to look at. There were two games early in the year that I won but would have lost of I had a DST that scored ~5 or less. And one of my only 3 losses, I would have won if I had a DST that scored 3 or more. Of course that was the week the Browns DST laid a goose egg. The rest of the season, including both playoff wins, wouldn't have been affected whether the DST scored 0 or 20.

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?
Only other thing I need to add here is that it is a short lineup league: Q RR WW F K D.
So, (1) DST (versus replacement level) makes up a larger portion of your score than in most leagues, and (2) players generally need to end up being a stud or they aren't a ton better than replacement level. Only ~32 WR starting and ~28 RB starting.

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?
Only other thing I need to add here is that it is a short lineup league: Q RR WW F K D.
So, (1) DST (versus replacement level) makes up a larger portion of your score than in most leagues, and (2) players generally need to end up being a stud or they aren't a ton better than replacement level. Only ~32 WR starting and ~28 RB starting.

I say take the pick.

DST are very fluid year to year with the FA signings, and Rookie influx and I would move (and have moved Top Tier Def) for picks
2022 I turned Buff DST for the 3.07 pick & $35 FA BB (out of $200)
I picked up Miami DST FA (free) and the difference was -0.8 pt week avg
I was rebuilding at the time so that weighed into it also
Currently I hold SF & Indy (Def #8 & #9 in 2023)

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?

Hmmm that does make a difference in my view. I still say value is on the picks because we have no idea what opponents Browns will face in the playoffs and you should be able to trade for a defense later.

If you only start 8 then everything gets ratcheted up. It’s all about WAR…wins over replacement. I still say the picks are the way to go but it narrows the gap.

100% of the time. Yes.

188 (Browns)
172 (his DST)
143 (free agent)
139 (free agent)

Thoughts?
Defenses change YTY more than just about any position. Unless you have a truly elite unit, I’d make that deal.

Well… I’m thinking about rebuilding since I won the championship last year and my teams getting old. I’d be looking at trading away Mixon, Kamara and Miller, amari cooper, Tyreek and kelce. I’m in a tough spot because I’m likely to repeat and a lot of these guys are likely to fall off real quick here.

The only real talks I’ve had were an offer of pick ten for Mixon and pick six plus maybe Pittman for Tyreek.

Any thoughts on value for these guys?

Well… I’m thinking about rebuilding since I won the championship last year and my teams getting old. I’d be looking at trading away Mixon, Kamara and Miller, amari cooper, Tyreek and kelce. I’m in a tough spot because I’m likely to repeat and a lot of these guys are likely to fall off real quick here.

The only real talks I’ve had were an offer of pick ten for Mixon and pick six plus maybe Pittman for Tyreek.

If you are gonna rebuild and can get pick 6 and Pittman for Tyreek, you should probably do that.
Same with pick 10 for Mixon.
The other guys may all fetch a 1st as well.
Heck, even retrade Pittman.

Problem is, it's hard to find that many takers willing to give 1sts in the same league

If you are gonna rebuild and can get pick 6 and Pittman for Tyreek, you should probably do that.

Problem is, it's hard to find that many takers willing to give 1sts in the same league
That definitely the problem I’m having rebuilding this team. I’m either all in on the rebuild or just going for it again. I do have some nice young pieces on this team as well. Appreciate the thoughts

Tyreek looks like best bet to trade now, given his perceived value from buyers assuming they are overlooking his planned early retirement. The Pittman offer is fair.
Suspect Kelce is a ride him until the death guy now. Cant see any value there.
Mixon I could go either way. He has a new team and contract, and I guess there is 2 years of value here compared with a lottery at 10 which likely wont be a RB.

Summary I would trade Hill and Mixon if you wanted to and ride the rest whilst developing some new faces.

Tyreek looks like best bet to trade now, given his perceived value from buyers assuming they are overlooking his planned early retirement. The Pittman offer is fair.
Suspect Kelce is a ride him until the death guy now. Cant see any value there.
Mixon I could go either way. He has a new team and contract, and I guess there is 2 years of value here compared with a lottery at 10 which likely wont be a RB.

Summary I would trade Hill and Mixon if you wanted to and ride the rest whilst developing some new faces.
If he trades Mixon and Tyreek, it makes all the sense in the world to trade the other older vets that still have value as well

That definitely the problem I’m having rebuilding this team. I’m either all in on the rebuild or just going for it again. I do have some nice young pieces on this team as well. Appreciate the thoughts
I can honestly relate. I got a team with a bunch of those same players. Kamara, Miller, Kelce and Tyreek and I used to have Mixon and then I got some other olds like Hopkins and Goedert.

Heading into last years off-season I wanted to blow the whole thing up but I've never actually done that before with a team and struggled with it as I felt I'd end up half-arsing it. My thought process might be similar to yours in that I either wanted to sell all the olds or if not compete.

I think individually all those trades Ghostghuy is suggesting are good deals. I'd probably make them all. I had a conversation Ghostguy on this last off-season and I recall him telling me something along the lines of when you go for a full on rebuild you got to commit to the whole thing. I did not disagree then or now but I do think there is another alternative, and I'm stealing this term from the Vikings GM, a competitive rebuild.

Maybe Pittman's only 3-5 fantasy points a game from Tyreek if you kept Pittman and it won't end up having a huge impact on your seeding if you kept some of the other players. And if you got a playoff team the season is really just 2-3 weeks depending on the format and a lot of stuff can happen in a short sample size like that. Maybe the guy you draft at 10 outperforms Mixon(that btw is a no brainer trade to make IMO).

I had another league like this last year. Decided to go the competitive rebuild but only made one trade. Basically deal Pollard and a third for James Conner and a future first. My thinking was Conner could get me 70-80% of Pollards production and then I'd have a future first. That trade actually won me the league. That's migth be a way say Tyreek for PIttman and 6 can work out for you. So if if it was me I'd do the deals offered you to and then either move forward with a competitive rebuild or trade the other olds if/when the right deal comes along.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks @Birdie048 and @Da Franchise. I liked the deal fairly well myself ... was wavering, but I liked it. Always like to bounce things off a few people's heads. I think I'll take that deal.
Who are the FA DSTs? Sorry if you posted and I missed it.
I didn't post. Those top ones from last year were Buccaneers (143) and Saints (139). After that, Giants, Bears Vikings, all in the 120s.

Thanks @Birdie048 and @Da Franchise. I liked the deal fairly well myself ... was wavering, but I liked it. Always like to bounce things off a few people's heads. I think I'll take that deal.
I didn't post. Those top ones from last year were Buccaneers (143) and Saints (139). After that, Giants, Bears Vikings, all in the 120s.
Also, a great example of the vanity of DSTs, though maybe cherry-picking, is the 2022 Patriots vs 2023 Patriots. In our league, the 2022 Patriots scored 202, second place was 168. In 2023, the Patriots ranked 21st with 119.

Also, a great example of the vanity of DSTs, though maybe cherry-picking, is the 2022 Patriots vs 2023 Patriots. In our league, the 2022 Patriots scored 202, second place was 168. In 2023, the Patriots ranked 21st with 119.
I’d trade a D for almost any rookie pick at all.

A thing I have done several times is (once I'm out of contention or at the start of a rebuild) offer contending teams a D upgrade trade. Have found myself with the 1st or 2nd ranked D a few times and managed to trade it for another D with a third rounder added on.

I can honestly relate. I got a team with a bunch of those same players. Kamara, Miller, Kelce and Tyreek and I used to have Mixon and then I got some other olds like Hopkins and Goedert.

Heading into last years off-season I wanted to blow the whole thing up but I've never actually done that before with a team and struggled with it as I felt I'd end up half-arsing it. My thought process might be similar to yours in that I either wanted to sell all the olds or if not compete.

I think individually all those trades Ghostghuy is suggesting are good deals. I'd probably make them all. I had a conversation Ghostguy on this last off-season and I recall him telling me something along the lines of when you go for a full on rebuild you got to commit to the whole thing. I did not disagree then or now but I do think there is another alternative, and I'm stealing this term from the Vikings GM, a competitive rebuild.

Maybe Pittman's only 3-5 fantasy points a game from Tyreek if you kept Pittman and it won't end up having a huge impact on your seeding if you kept some of the other players. And if you got a playoff team the season is really just 2-3 weeks depending on the format and a lot of stuff can happen in a short sample size like that. Maybe the guy you draft at 10 outperforms Mixon(that btw is a no brainer trade to make IMO).

I had another league like this last year. Decided to go the competitive rebuild but only made one trade. Basically deal Pollard and a third for James Conner and a future first. My thinking was Conner could get me 70-80% of Pollards production and then I'd have a future first. That trade actually won me the league. That's migth be a way say Tyreek for PIttman and 6 can work out for you. So if if it was me I'd do the deals offered you to and then either move forward with a competitive rebuild or trade the other olds if/when the right deal comes along.

Hope that makes sense.
I’m definitely going back and forth on it all. You know how it goes though. Champion starts selling an older guy or two then the vultures start swarming and here comes 4th rd pick for kelce offers all day long lol

Was offered his 1.02 for my Nico and Kyren in 1QB league. Felt it was too much to give for Nabers. Would you guys do something like this for 1.01?

Edit: to Make more sense

Last edited:

As someone who did exactly this, my suggestion is to target the 2025 draft.

Reason being, you’ll have ~4-5-6 competitive teams willing to give up picks to “go for it” after week 7-8-ish or before the deadline.

It’s also a year out, and those teams will give more than they would in this year’s draft.

That said, take Pittman + 1st now if it’s on the table.

And I’d also try to move Tryreek mow since he’s talking about a retirement after the 2025 season. But even that might be better to wait until teams know if they’re gonna go for it.

And in both those cases you could target 2025 picks instead.

But I’d wait on the rest and try to maximize value. If you’d get a 2024 1st, you might get a 2025 1st + 2nd, or 1st + 3rd

Just a thought.

1.10 for Mixon is decent value for his age and 1.06 + Pittman for Tyrek I would likely do that as well.

Now, having said that, running it back one more time and winning back to back 'chips would be epic. You play to win the game. I'd be very tempted to make another run and mid-season if its not working, then trade Mixon, Hill, Kelce etc for 2025s. Next year looks to be a solid RB year.

Nothing wrong with rebuilding but if I had a shot to repeat I would 100% give it a shot. It is so hard to win a title and if you are set up to give it a go I would want to give it a try at least.

Reason being, you’ll have ~4-5-6 competitive teams willing to give up picks to “go for it” after week 7-8-ish or before the deadline.

It’s also a year out, and those teams will give more than they would in this year’s draft.

And I’d also try to move Tryreek mow since he’s talking about a retirement after the 2025 season. But even that might be better to wait until teams know if they’re gonna go for it.

But I’d wait on the rest and try to maximize value. If you’d get a 2024 1st, you might get a 2025 1st + 2nd, or 1st + 3rd

Just a thought.
The flip side is that his 'old' players are still performing at a very high level. I'd be very tempted to go for another 'ship in '24 and then start a full on rebuild in 25. If, for whatever reason, he comes out of the gate slow, then definitely start a mid-season rebuild.

Just a thought.
The flip side is that his 'old' players are still performing at a very high level. I'd be very tempted to go for another 'ship in '24 and then start a full on rebuild in 25. If, for whatever reason, he comes out of the gate slow, then definitely start a mid-season rebuild.
I like this idea. Kelce, Hill and even Mixon should produce for one more year. Mixon is the riskiest of the bunch I think (having said that I won last year as well and I'm going to ride Mixon for one more year - I hope!).

The only thing stopping you from trading Hill or Kelce mid-season is injury and that is a risk for any player. The Mixon offer is the toughest as I'm not sure you can get more than a first even mid-season for Mixon. Tempting to take that deal now as its good value IMO. All depends on what your RB situation is like. Could always take a RB in teh draft or use that first rounder to make a deal for a younger guy.

Just a thought.
I agree.

Or maybe a compromise as you suggested where if he’s not competitive as expected, start the rebuild then.

Either way, I think he gets more value / return that way as opposed to targeting 2024 picks. ETA - especially in April, before the draft.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread