What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Value Discussion Thread (9 Viewers)

I just asked a live show DynastyLand football if I should trade my 1.08+1.12 for the 1.04+2.07 (a trade I already made and posted on this site that everyone liked) in my 12 team 1 QB 1.5 TE league

They said they would keep 1.08+1.12 they don't like Bowers so that was there reason they said pick 4 and pick 8 are same tier (in fact they said they would take Thomas at 4 if they had to pick)
Listen to a different show

Trades that always looks so good when you make them and every single person on here sides on your side yet I always caution even when I am the "winning" side at the time of the trade they have failed or not go as good as you would think just a year or two later many times.

Looking back at a trade for 2 years ago I made that everyone loved on here.

I was coming off a championship in a 14 team league which also had acquired another teams future 1st the year before so I had pick 1.
I drafted Breece Hall and then traded Hall, 1.09 and 2.01 picks for Chase. Huge win for me......or so I thought at the time so did everyone thought even more so when Hall tears his ACL.
I would have taken R White at the 2.01 for sure (not sure who I would have taken at 1.09)
I ended up 2nd place that year so the next year I traded away 1.05, 1.13 and my 2024 1st for 1.01 to take Bijan.
So now I just added Chase and Bijan to a championship team from 2022.........last year I finished 1st in the regular season..........and last in the playoffs (6th place)
So that guy got 1.05, 1.13 and this year 1.09. LaPorta went 1.14 (who I would have taken at 1.13 as Mayer was already off the board)

So Chase or Hall, R White and a 1st ? Which is better now 2 years later ?

So Bijan or Addison, LaPorta, 1.09 this year (1.5 TE) which is better 1 year later ?

Just never know do you....both are still close at least.
Hindsight is always 20-20.

We can only judge trades based on the information we have at hand in the moment.
Yet it happens a lot you have to try and think outside the box sometimes and not fall pray to the "well at the time it looked good"

I prefer winning over "looking good"
Sure, but you buys your tickets & takes your chances.

We tend to remember the deals that didn’t work out more intensely than the ones that do. And sometimes trades that look good are good.

I made a series of “go for it” deals last year and won a ‘ship because of it.

Maybe you can tinker too much - totally concede that. But that’s part of the fun of being a virtual GM. The downside is you never get fired for your incompetence like real NFL GMs do. heh

I just asked a live show DynastyLand football if I should trade my 1.08+1.12 for the 1.04+2.07 (a trade I already made and posted on this site that everyone liked) in my 12 team 1 QB 1.5 TE league

They said they would keep 1.08+1.12 they don't like Bowers so that was there reason they said pick 4 and pick 8 are same tier (in fact they said they would take Thomas at 4 if they had to pick)
Listen to a different show
This.

Dissly is surprisingly listed as the starter

Assuming you mean on the Chargers depth chart, that isn't surprising at all. Dissly is by far the best blocking TE on the Chargers, and one of the few best in the league. That is very important to the Harbaugh/Roman offense... more important to them than receiving for TEs. If all of their TEs stay healthy, I think Dissly will play more snaps than Hurst, and maybe by a large margin.

One of the things that could hurt Hurst from a fantasy perspective is that the Chargers' presumed TE3 is Parham, who is 6'8" with a 38.5" vertical. Their speed is similar, but Parham is more explosive and has a bigger catch radius. He has yet to fulfill his overall potential, but he has been a better red zone target than Hurst in their careers to date. IMO it seems Parham is likely to limit Hurst's fantasy production.

The real answer here is that it will likely be a TE by committee in which none of them hold real fantasy value unless there is a significant injury in the group.

Assuming you mean on the Chargers depth chart, that isn't surprising at all. Dissly is by far the best blocking TE on the Chargers, and one of the few best in the league. That is very important to the Harbaugh/Roman offense... more important to them than receiving for TEs. If all of their TEs stay healthy, I think Dissly will play more snaps than Hurst, and maybe by a large margin.

One of the things that could hurt Hurst from a fantasy perspective is that the Chargers' presumed TE3 is Parham, who is 6'8" with a 38.5" vertical. Their speed is similar, but Parham is more explosive and has a bigger catch radius. He has yet to fulfill his overall potential, but he has been a better red zone target than Hurst in their careers to date. IMO it seems Parham is likely to limit Hurst's fantasy production.

The real answer here is that it will likely be a TE by committee in which none of them hold real fantasy value unless there is a significant injury in the group.
IIRC Harbaugh employed a move TE with Vernon Davis.

Just checked - he was a pro-bowler under Harbaugh, and had 850 yards & 13 TDs in 2013. I don’t recall Davis being used extensively as a blocker.

You’re probably correct that it’ll be a committee, but I envision Dissley blocking & Hurst as the move TE.

Parham hasn’t shown much in his NFL career so far. Certainly not enough that I’d bet on him over Hurst, who’s shown the ability to be a receiving weapon.

If I had to bet on one being FF relevant, my money is on Hurst.

IIRC Harbaugh employed a move TE with Vernon Davis.

Just checked - he was a pro-bowler under Harbaugh, and had 850 yards & 13 TDs in 2013. I don’t recall Davis being used extensively as a blocker.

You’re probably correct that it’ll be a committee, but I envision Dissley blocking & Hurst as the move TE.

Parham hasn’t shown much in his NFL career so far. Certainly not enough that I’d bet on him over Hurst, who’s shown the ability to be a receiving weapon.

If I had to bet on one being FF relevant, my money is on Hurst.

Sure, I'm aware of all of that.

I pointed out that Parham has not fulfilled his potential. The point with him is that he is another move TE who is a better red zone threat than Hurst, which IMO will likely limit Hurst's fantasy production. I also think the Harbaugh coaching staff could easily help Parham fulfill his considerable potential better than the previous coaching staff did.

And Hurst is not really a good comp to Vernon Davis who was an athletic freak.

They are all cheap, so easy to take a shot on any of them. I rostered Dissly in one league because I am weak at TE and I expect him to be on the field the most. And I have a claim in to add Hurst and expect to get him. But I'm not excited about either, and don't think it is a given either will make it through my roster cutdown before the season.

Not making a comp - just illustrating that Harbaugh very much employed an inline receiver/move TE for his entire NFL tenure.

Davis was an extremely underrated offensive weapon, and IMO still never quite lived up to his potential, though he did have a coupe of big years.
They are all cheap, so easy to take a shot on any of them. I rostered Dissly in one league because I am weak at TE and I expect him to be on the field the most. And I have a claim in to add Hurst and expect to get him. But I'm not excited about either, and don't think it is a given either will make it through my roster cutdown before the season.
That's fair - in most of my leagues, roster space is at a premium. If I could only have 1 I'd probably roll the dice on Hurst, but if you have room, just get all 3 - I agree it won't cost much.

Not making a comp - just illustrating that Harbaugh very much employed an inline receiver/move TE for his entire NFL tenure.

Davis was an extremely underrated offensive weapon, and IMO still never quite lived up to his potential, though he did have a coupe of big years.
That's fair - in most of my leagues, roster space is at a premium. If I could only have 1 I'd probably roll the dice on Hurst, but if you have room, just get all 3 - I agree it won't cost much.

Meme with girl ☹️: 1 crappy tight end
Meme with girl 🤗: 3 crappy tight ends

To add some context as well, appears Team A decided to blow-up their team for a full on rebuild/fire sale. IMO, they probably could have rolled it back again this year to compete but their team was aging out quickly and weak at RB and it's assets other than Lamb were likely going to lose value very quickly.

Saw this in the dynasty trades thread and thought I would ask for approaches to situations like this.

I'm in a league with unusual format... Gold Dynasty League: 12 team Superflex; variable PPR (0.75 RB, 1 WR, 1.25 TE); depressed QB scoring; start 1Q 1R 2W 1T 1K 1D 1SF (QRWT) 4F (RWT); double elimination playoffs that run from weeks 12-18. I drafted an older than average team in 2021 that I viewed as a "win now" team. I finished 2nd, 3rd, and 1st, respectively in the first 3 seasons. So I am coming off a championship and a strong 3 year run overall.

On my roster:
  • QB - Purdy, Cousins, Wilson, Howell
  • RB - Taylor, Henry, Mitchell, Mixon, Mostert, Mattison, Hull
  • WR - Adams, Aiyuk, Samuel, Evans, Doubs, Perry, Gallup
  • TE - Waller, Dissly, Knox
  • PK - Tucker
  • DST - 49ers, Browns
Future draft picks:
  • 2024 - 3.5, 3.12
  • 2025 - my 1st, 3rd from team in 5th draft position this year, my 4th
  • 2026 and beyond - all of my own picks, none of any other team's picks
There's a lot of age in this roster, but tough mentally for me to think about blowing up a championship team, especially since it seems reasonable to expect most of those older veterans to still be good this year. Obviously, I can cut a defense, which I will for the draft. There are a few other roster spots I can turnover, but there is no value on the waiver wire.

I realize this may be viewed as more of an ACF post, so understand if you guys don't want to weigh in on how you would handle this situation, but interested in any comments.
Run it back this season and if things don't fall your way, blow it up at the trade deadline. I think those guys have another season (maybe 2) left in them.
I agree but the toughest thing with be finding a TE and maybe a 2nd QB if Cousins can't go to start the season. If Waller retires and he might it could be tough finding a TE without investing to much. Might have to get creative without spending too much future capital. RB and WR are looking good just need to find that elusive TE.

If it isn't going well mid-season the vets will bring you the most value in draft picks. Right now no one wants vets anyways - everyone is hyped for the rookies.

Thanks to all for the responses on this.

With regard to TE, I originally drafted Gronk, and he helped until he retired. Since then, it has been a revolving door. I have made quite a few "win now" trades over the first 3 years, and those trades cost me draft picks that kept me from taking shots on rookie TEs, since the best of them were typically gone before I was able to pick. Agree this is a challenge for me going forward.

Are DSTs worth anything in you league? Could you trade one and say 3.12 for a TE?

Doubtful, but I'll explore it, thanks for the thought on that.

Following up on this exchange. I was offered Mike Williams for 3.5, and after some back and forth settled on:

I gave 2024 3.5, 2025 4th (presumably late), CLE DST
I got TE Schultz

I know Schultz is generally being projected as TE 12-15 this season, but he seems like a high floor option in a good passing offense and a likely upgrade for my group. Thanks again for the suggestion.

So what am I missing with Sione Vaki? Owners in my dynasty league are bidding him up like he is the next Arian Foster. He is a 4th rd pick with decent measurables and a ton of young talent between him and meaningful playing time. I have him outside of the top 20 RBs in this draft class.

Well, I pulled the offer of Browning for 5.04 because the owner took 2 days to get back to me.

30 mins later he sends the offer back of 5.04 for Browning saying he missed the offer until I pulled it.

I got to thinking that if Burrow gets hurt again, it sure would be nice to have Browning in SF.

I’m so on the fence here…

Has anyone seen any movement on Zamir White? Little competition behind him and he did really well to end the year. They upgraded the line and he should be the guy. Seems like a guy that is worth just less than a 1st but more than just a random 2nd in 1QB? Still pretty young

Has anyone seen any movement on Zamir White? Little competition behind him and he did really well to end the year. They upgraded the line and he should be the guy. Seems like a guy that is worth just less than a 1st but more than just a random 2nd in 1QB? Still pretty young
He was traded for 2.8 in a league of mine a few weeks ago, after he survived the NFL draft, and I thought it was way to cheap.

What I always recommend to determine his draft value is to stack him up vs the rookie class. My guess is he'd come out as most people's RB3 if he was thrown into the rookie class and in most of my drafts RB4-5 was an early second.

Well, I pulled the offer of Browning for 5.04 because the owner took 2 days to get back to me.

30 mins later he sends the offer back of 5.04 for Browning saying he missed the offer until I pulled it.

I got to thinking that if Burrow gets hurt again, it sure would be nice to have Browning in SF.

I wouldn’t be on the fence. Assuming. SF league I accept that offer to have the piece of mind for Burrow

I wouldn’t be on the fence. Assuming. SF league I accept that offer to have the piece of mind for Burrow
I agree but I’m the one with Browning. ;)

He was traded for 2.8 in a league of mine a few weeks ago, after he survived the NFL draft, and I thought it was way to cheap.

What I always recommend to determine his draft value is to stack him up vs the rookie class. My guess is he'd come out as most people's RB3 if he was thrown into the rookie class and in most of my drafts RB4-5 was an early second.
As a White owner I wouldn’t be moving him For that. He’s a starting RB in the NFL with no competition. He’s worth more than a late second round pick. Even if he craps the bed it was OK to pass on that offer. Imagine if you took that offer and he blows up. You know going into it that he’s getting the opportunity and that’s half the battle.

Alexander Mattison goes from being traded for firsts to being "no competition" to Zamir White in twelve months. Not saying you're wrong but that's one hell of a quick value adjustment if correct
Well I own both. And I was high on Mattison going into last year but after seeing his performance, I’m really not that concerned that he’s gonna take over. Now if White fails miserably early then there could be a change but I still wouldn’t move White for a mid or later 2nd.

Alexander Mattison goes from being traded for firsts to being "no competition" to Zamir White in twelve months. Not saying you're wrong but that's one hell of a quick value adjustment if correct
Well I own both. And I was high on Mattison going into last year but after seeing his performance, I’m really not that concerned that he’s gonna take over. Now if White fails miserably early then there could be a change but I still wouldn’t move White for a mid or later 2nd.

I don't disagree. I looked into buying him for pick 19, and the White owner wasn't rejecting the discussion immediately. I wouldn't be paying a first in the slightest though

I got a 1st for Mattison. So looking forward to spending it next year - that team went in the tank so it might even be top 4. :lol:

Im thinking with some patience I’ll be able to get a first for Zamir also. But he also seems primed for a pretty good year and that could be worth more as I’m a contender. Season can’t come soon enough.

You still take it if you’re the one selling Browning?

Or do you hold in case of injury since we’ve seen that Browning can be a competent SF QB2?

Or do you hold in case of injury since we’ve seen that Browning can be a competent SF QB2?
I would hold. But I don’t know your league requirements. We’ve seen that he can play “passably” in the league. What type of
Player wouldn’t get at 5.04. I would think a long shot unless this is SF and IDP.

I would hold. But I don’t know your league requirements. We’ve seen that he can play “passably” in the league. What type of
Player wouldn’t get at 5.04. I would think a long shot unless this is SF and IDP.
It is in fact SF + IDP. It’s a 16 team league.

Of course that also increases Browning’s value if Burrow goes down or has a setback with his surgically repaired wrist.

I guess it comes down to your league and how many QBs are hoarded. It is like holding any 2nd or 3rd RB handcuff. You just hold until the starter gets injured and then you have someone you can start each week or flip for future draft capital. If you feel you can use 5.08 now for something bigger then make the deal. If you need a roster spot to pick up someone else, grab 5.08 and the new player.

If you want to try to hit "max win" you hold in case of injury and then possibly flip for a 2nd or higher depending on how things go down.

I guess it comes down to your league and how many QBs are hoarded. It is like holding any 2nd or 3rd RB handcuff. You just hold until the starter gets injured and then you have someone you can start each week or flip for future draft capital. If you feel you can use 5.08 now for something bigger then make the deal. If you need a roster spot to pick up someone else, grab 5.08 and the new player.

If you want to try to hit "max win" you hold in case of injury and then possibly flip for a 2nd or higher depending on how things go down.
Yeah - totally agree. I have Herbert, and Brissett + Howell as my top QBs.

So I could absolutely use Browning if Burrow has a setback.

I offered him up for a future 3rd when Burrow went down and had no takers. I’m betting the Burrow owner wishes he’d made that deal.

Imma sleep on it, thanks for the feedback. You’re echoing what I was thinking. I don’t need the roster spot, and I’m not sure what I could draft at 5.04 that would be better than Browning if JB does have a setback. QBs smack hands on helmets a lot - I wouldn’t be shocked to see Browning get some playing time this year.

I also sent the dude a note saying I was gonna mull it over, because browning was valuable when burrow went down last year. Maybe he ups the offer a little. ;)

I sold White for a 2025 2nd PRE-NFL Draft. 2 reasons:
1) taking the chance that they’d bring in rookie competition in the draft. I drafted Laube in 2 rookie drafts in the 4th and 5th as a flier, but don’t think he’s really competition at this point.
2) FFPC 1 QB format has short benches where I had to make some trades pre-cut-down. White had better trade value than the likes of Quentin Johnson, Josh Palmer (who I ended up trading for a 2025 3rd) and Bryce Young.

As a White owner I wouldn’t be moving him For that. He’s a starting RB in the NFL with no competition. He’s worth more than a late second round pick. Even if he craps the bed it was OK to pass on that offer. Imagine if you took that offer and he blows up. You know going into it that he’s getting the opportunity and that’s half the battle.
Agree and especially when the pick was used to draft Kimani Vidal....and plenty of good WR's and every TE but Bowers in a TEP league was left.

Of course that also increases Browning’s value if Burrow goes down or has a setback with his surgically repaired wrist.

Browning is worth way more than a 5th in that format.

I think Stover over takes Shultz next year if not the 2nd half of this year
Why? He wasn’t that good in college and I come from an OSU family that watched every game.
He only started playing the position like 2 years ago. I believe he was a LB that converted to TE and he ended up being OSU's best TE of all time.
400 yards and 500 yards in two years is the best of all time? I didn’t know that. The 5 tds in each of the last two years was nice, but that’s a crapshoot. He’s only projected as an average TE at best at the next level.

Browning is worth way more than a 5th in that format.
Thanks. Leaning towards holding.

I never know how much FAAB to bid on FA rookies that don't get drafted. There are a couple I would like to pick up but really am flying blind here. Our $100 offeason FAAB budget goes until NFL cutdown at the end of August. Usually this time (after rookie drafts) is the most active but sometimes due to camp/preseason injuries there ends up being a gem that emerges.

Spend most now or save for that possible gem?

I never know how much FAAB to bid on FA rookies that don't get drafted. There are a couple I would like to pick up but really am flying blind here. Our $100 offeason FAAB budget goes until NFL cutdown at the end of August. Usually this time (after rookie drafts) is the most active but sometimes due to camp/preseason injuries there ends up being a gem that emerges.

Spend most now or save for that possible gem?
I say spend early. Better to take the chance and miss than miss and never have a chance at all.

Thrash went undrafted, and someone in my league got him for $111 of their $1225 budget.

That’s more than I would have bid on him, but he should have been drafted.

I’d say if there’s someone you want now, bid now. Seems pretty rare that camp produces a gem.

That seems to happen more in IDP.

Update: I l’d forgotten that FAAB rolls over in this league, so some teams had ~$2500, some had ~1600, etc.
On another note, IMO this is the worst rule in any league I’m in. FAAB should reset every year to $1K for every team.

In theory I don’t mind it. But when I took over this orphan it had no taxi squad & $1K, while other teams had $3K, $4K. My 1st year Geno was a FA. I bid my whole $1K & someone outbid me by $1500 because they could.

kind of unfair to any incoming team if/when turnover happens.

Update: I l’d forgotten that FAAB rolls over in this league, so some teams had ~$2500, some had ~1600, etc.
On another note, IMO this is the worst rule in any league I’m in. FAAB should reset every year to $1K for every team.

In theory I don’t mind it. But when I took over this orphan it had no taxi squad & $1K, while other teams had $3K, $4K. My 1st year Geno was a FA. I bid my whole $1K & someone outbid me by $1500 because they could.

kind of unfair to any incoming team if/when turnover happens.
I agree, it should reset for everyone to make it fair and even. My one auction league dynasty (with contracts) rolls over any unused $ from the draft to FAAB which I kinda like but it is rare anyone has more than $10-20 so its not game breaking but a nice bonus to start the season.

But true dynasty leagues should reset FAAB.

Value check on Tua - looking to sell.

10 team, 1 QB - standard scoring (PPR).

Looking to get an early 2nd. Is that reasonable?
Probably reasonable ask but with it being 10-man and only 1 QB you need to find a team that needs a QB and doesn't already have a top 10-12 starter.

Seems like a decent starting point but you might have trouble finding a buyer depending on teams QB needs. Look at the other 9 teams and target a team that needs one. With 6 first round QBs going this NFL draft people might just be fine using a late second or third on a QB in this draft rather than paying an early 2nd. Tough QB market right now for a 10 team 1 QB league.

Probably reasonable ask but with it being 10-man and only 1 QB you need to find a team that needs a QB and doesn't already have a top 10-12 starter.

Seems like a decent starting point but you might have trouble finding a buyer depending on teams QB needs. Look at the other 9 teams and target a team that needs one. With 6 first round QBs going this NFL draft people might just be fine using a late second or third on a QB in this draft rather than paying an early 2nd. Tough QB market right now for a 10 team 1 QB league.
In 10-team 1 QB format I doubt Tua fetches a 2nd.

He’s not a cheat code rushing QB, and with only 10 teams & 1 QB, it’s not like QBs are in short supply. I just can’t see getting more than a 3rd, at best.

So I upped my QJ bid to $911 and got him.

Someone in the league messaged me that they’d bid $901

Now let’s see if he learns to catch. 🤞🏼
Update:
Dude who dropped QJ (the co-commish) now says he meant to drop Quinten Jefferson - which makes much more sense.

At first he was like “I figured he wouldn’t get through FAAB. Nice grab” and I didn’t realize it was his drop.

Then later someone asked if he meant to drop him & he said no, it was a fat finger, and he sounded pretty distraught over it. Asked if I’d be willing to sell him back to him “at a profit”.

Sigh

I try to be a good person. I’m going to try to work it out with him. But I hate it, because I spent a week+ stressing over the add, how much to bid, and woke up today a bundle of nerves waiting for waivers to clear.

To say I was emotionally invested in this would be an understatement.

this sucks.

Agree entirely with this. It totally depends on your specific league rosters and if someone really needs a QB. In 10 team, non-Superflex…tall order.

I just wanted to add on the rookie QB point: unless you want Caleb or maybe Daniels, I think that Maye/McCarthy can be had much later than a 2nd. Heck, in my 12 team, 1QB leagues, they each went in the 4th or 5th round. No need to spend a 2nd on either one. If I were another owner in this league, I’d keep my 2nd rounder and just spend a 4th on whichever of the rookies QBs falls to me there and, if that doesn’t work out…rinse and repeat next year.

Users who are viewing this thread