What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: WR Taywan Taylor, Titans (1 Viewer)

He will have a coming out party while proving to the coaches he ought to be playing over Decker. 

That's my hope at least. 
Decker is only 30. That's not old yet for a WR.

That said, the 3rd WR gets a lot of snaps. Taylor should be a good spot start for larger leagues.

He's really more of a dynasty hold.
Probably, but if we were a smidge later in the season, he'd be a nice bye week cover this week. THEN if he does well, maybe you hold onto him in redraft. For redraft, I guess he could cover an injury this week.

Sherman is gonna shut down one Titans WR and IIRC he only has a couple pass attempts thrown his way this year. So that favors Taywan and either Decker or Matthews.

In weeks one and two, the opposing D focused on Decker. I did not think that was a good decision but I guess one could guess it will be Sherman on Decker

Decker is only 30. That's not old yet for a WR.

That said, the 3rd WR gets a lot of snaps. Taylor should be a good spot start for larger leagues.
He'd make a hell of a good 4th receiver then. 

Hope talent prevails over name. 

FF Ninja said:
Oh fun, let's talk about eyeball tests! They're even better when it's only based on 2 games!
It's about six now. He played a ton in preseason- more snaps than anyone on the Titans and ranked highly relative to all NFL players.

He was a fave of some "last minute" talkers before the draft and some names like Greg Cosell.

It's not out of nowhere.

I think the first Q we ask of young players is- Does their game translate? Will there be a huge learning curve til their game can translate?

His works and he's done it against some top CBs. What ya need to understand he is ridiculously quick and has some serious deep speed. There is surely some of his game that needs to improve and he needs to mature, but speed is going to do some good for him until that point.

I think what people have lost here is he's basically what Kendall Wright was supposed to be.

When they drafted him, I was rather surprised he was faster than Wright. Wright's one of the fastest little buggers I've ever seen.

With the Titans, they had an OC that didn't have much talent to work with or creativity so they threw Wright a zillion short crossing routes. Defenses gave it to Wright because it's just 4-5 yards and they had a fear of him burning them after the catch. He had a nice season catch and yardage wise but it's often viewed a bit out of context.

When they acquired big WRs, Wright would be pushed into the #2 role and the slot. He was clearly complimentary and an occasional big play option. The more talent they got, the less Wright seemed special. Mularkey has had plenty of plays for Wright and he just faded. It wasn't long after that first season that he went from supposedly having a promising career to being considered less.

Tawayn is everything they wanted Wright to be. He learned all the spots and can backup anyone. When he's put in the game, he enters to provide a spark. If someone is injured, he can fill in. He was a nice 3rd round pick even though JRob said he traded up for him because he was bored.

During camp n all, Taywan pushed the starters and did well against anyone and everyone. We are at this point where it's "is he more than just a spark plug and valuable depth?"

We should find out this week. Thus far he sure has the Kendall role down.

I see Taylor as more of a deep threat than Wright and Wright perhaps more refined in a possession receiver type role than Taylor is. That is somewhat hard to judge however as Taylor wins with his down field speed so well, I am not sure coaches ask him to do the same things as Wright as much.

The Titans have the highest quality depth at the WR as I think they have had in a long time. When Wright had a good season for them, he was kind of the only receiver they could count on at that time. There are some injuries and other things in there that prevented Wright from doing more. 

Really I think Delannie Walker fills the role of the slot possession receiver since he was signed and that made Wright somewhat extra, not what they needed as much as WR who can stretch the field from the outside. Wright fit what Wizenhunt wanted to do a bit more than Mularkey. Also the addition of Mariota changed what type of receivers work well with him. I don't think Wright was one of his guys.

• Smile
Reactions: Bri
He was a fave of some "last minute" talkers before the draft and some names like Greg Cosell.
I disagree with absolutely nothing you said. I like him, too. I just have to eyeroll when impatient dynasty owners (or foolish redraft owners) want to act like talented vets are washed up with the expectation that their 3rd round rookie will perform like a WR2 or something. I had Taylor just behind Godwin in my rookie WR targets and I'd still rather have Taylor long term than Golladay. But that doesn't mean I think Taylor is currently better than a 30 year old Decker who has proven to be a valuable NFL commodity capable of fantasy WR1 number.

I disagree with absolutely nothing you said. I like him, too. I just have to eyeroll when impatient dynasty owners (or foolish redraft owners) want to act like talented vets are washed up with the expectation that their 3rd round rookie will perform like a WR2 or something. I had Taylor just behind Godwin in my rookie WR targets and I'd still rather have Taylor long term than Golladay. But that doesn't mean I think Taylor is currently better than a 30 year old Decker who has proven to be a valuable NFL commodity capable of fantasy WR1 number.
Quoting this for posterity. 

He's better than Decker. He will show it Sunday. 

Watch a game and you might figure it out. 

Peyton Manning made Decker look like a superstar. He's far from it. 

I never really thought a Gophers WR would amount to anything but Decker put up good numbers with the Jets. It wasn't all Peyton Manning.

Yeah that Manning made Decker meme is tired.

154-1989-17 in 28 games with the NYJ 2014-15

Health & whether he’s the same guy he once was is legit argument enough.

I'm very displeased with how Robiske is using Decker.

I've watched his snaps on gamepass several times now. When Mariota throws, there's two or three crashing onto him. His routes are almost always over the middle. The more I watch the more I think- why do the plays make him look like he's running Delanie's routes? Why does he always run toward a crowd and thus have to catch it in a crowd? On the ones where he's not running toward the middle, he takes his slot CB with him right to the wide CB that's playing zone almost setting up a doubleteam.

They used some pick plays and criss-cross stuff in preseason. Where did those plays go? Can't do curls anymore?

Taylor goes in the slot and he doesn't run those. Matthews in the slot, cuts across each time.

Everything Decker does is ugly and there is definitely design blame that has to go to Robiske. I don't get it. Bugs me.

I think once they cut this junk out, Decker's stats are going to spike up

4-49

quite obviously first ballot HOFamer

Possibly GOAT 

anyone who watched could see Decker sucks balls. One nice catch that I will give him credit for. Rest of game was SUCK

:coffee:

but I'm sure you watched and know all this already. 

I had whined about Decker. The plays were better, everything was better to him this week. As I said in the game thread, maybe if they were still forced, Taylor would have played more. Sherman made him earn his four catches, but he also upped his game using his body very well to shield Sherman.

I think they've found their offense- err I hope they have.2 TE 2 WR suits them. The TEs block so well and are dangerous receivers. They wore down the Seahawks too. Corey Davis could return this week.

I'd like to see hockey-style subbing by the Titans. If they went one TE with a FB (they have the top rated FB) they could send the rooks and Henry in. I've never seen some of those excellent Seahawks so tired. Like everyone in the world, they're not very good "dead-tired." I want the Titans to use their depth to keep this outlasting stuff rolling forward. Let's see DBs that have been running with Delanie, Matthews, and Decker keep up with Jonnu, Taylor, and Davis then let's see them cover a refreshed Delanie, Matthews, and Decker.

JRob whiffed on a few picks but absolutely nailed some. What a rookie class for FF. This depth is special and I'd like to see it used for more than just injury fill-ins

I had whined about Decker. The plays were better, everything was better to him this week. As I said in the game thread, maybe if they were still forced, Taylor would have played more. Sherman made him earn his four catches, but he also upped his game using his body very well to shield Sherman.

I think they've found their offense- err I hope they have.2 TE 2 WR suits them. The TEs block so well and are dangerous receivers. They wore down the Seahawks too. Corey Davis could return this week.

I'd like to see hockey-style subbing by the Titans. If they went one TE with a FB (they have the top rated FB) they could send the rooks and Henry in. I've never seen some of those excellent Seahawks so tired. Like everyone in the world, they're not very good "dead-tired." I want the Titans to use their depth to keep this outlasting stuff rolling forward. Let's see DBs that have been running with Delanie, Matthews, and Decker keep up with Jonnu, Taylor, and Davis then let's see them cover a refreshed Delanie, Matthews, and Decker.

JRob whiffed on a few picks but absolutely nailed some. What a rookie class for FF. This depth is special and I'd like to see it used for more than just injury fill-ins
I like this idea although it assumes that the offense continues converting first downs so that they can keep switching personnel. Not a given.

It would add some exotic to the smash mouth though.

I think it's fair to say now that Mularkey has held Taylor back. Everytime he does well, it's time to get someone else involved. 

He's not wrong to get free agent Decker involved. He's not wrong to get the fifth pick involved.

He is, however, the only coach to have a player play very well since day one and not play him more. 

He has been the fifth and sixth option for Mariota and does real well. Two (arguably) game winning big plays and while we all whine of Decker struggling, he had 3 catches for 30. 

Davis is going to return and Decker probably becomes third WR. I would bet $ Decker gets plenty of looks in that role and reads/plays are altered for that. This whole time they could and should have done that for Taylor.

Maybe they have a special talent? Maybe they don't. We aren't likely to know til next year if Decker isn't there. 

When Taylor made the huge catches, he didn't get the hot hand treatment and stay in nor get more work the following week.

My guess is we either look back (future year) and call Mularkey foolish or the Titans trade him this offseason then use Sharpe there next year.

There really isn't a place for him nor Mularkey making one. 4th WRs on 2TE teams are dime a dozen, not special talents. 

I would like to see him more involved in the second half but, again, I doubt that happens. 

Darrius Jennings (or some late draft pick) is fine for the 5th WR role

Davis is going to return and Decker probably becomes third WR. I would bet $ Decker gets plenty of looks in that role and reads/plays are altered for that. This whole time they could and should have done that for Taylor.
Agree his lack of usage makes little sense but here is article by Titans beat writer mainly about Davis but in it he speculates that Taylor would remain the #3 WR and push Decker reserve role: http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/23894/corey-davis-return-could-awaken-titans-stagnant-offense

Agree his lack of usage makes little sense but here is article by Titans beat writer mainly about Davis but in it he speculates that Taylor would remain the #3 WR and push Decker reserve role: http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-titans/post/_/id/23894/corey-davis-return-could-awaken-titans-stagnant-offense
Mularkey has shown some favoritism toward Decker and always brushed Taylor off. I really doubt it, but at least Cameron is putting some good vibes out about Taylor.

Also there's the context of where the third WR stands in Mariota's reads. Walker is near the top. If his love for Jonnu makes him fourth, that would put Taylor as the fifth option here. Now throw in how Mularkey said 10 days ago and a couple days ago that he continues to want to get Murray more involved in the passing game. Murray's not your typical RB. He played slot while Kendall was out last year and led the Titans in receiving. Mularkey didn't specify how, just "get him more involved" but... it doesn't bode well for Taylor

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent spring followed by a very good day and an awesome day yesterday to open camp.

I've been waiting for him to step up and get his opportunities like other fans of his here. The one thing that caught my eye from social media yesterday is he became a star. A star player in my mind is based on production but I guess in reality it's how people perceive a player. I'm not wholly sure. Nonetheless, there are pics of 15? reporters around him interviewing him. (There are not many TN reporters there, that's like everyone) and then pics of swarms of fans around him. Not Davis, not Delanie, not Casey....Taylor! How awesome was his practice to cause that? I am very much not sure how to take this. I've never seen a guy accomplish little and get the star treatment.

The Titans have held Rishard Matthews out of a lot of practices since spring because of a twisted ankle. He has been confirmed as trade bait back then. Now into camp, he's not expected til day four or five. Taylor has been running in Davis' spot, starting. Davis is in Matthews' spot, the #1. Matthews is one of the best in the NFL on third down and one of Mariota's trusted targets. He can't be discarded. Matthews is good in the slot but very good outside. I STILL think Taylor mans the slot and Matthews plays outside this year (unless a trade happens). 

If there is a trade or even as it seems now, the Titans are going to go forward with two very inexperienced WRs as their starters. Davis has best of the best athleticism and hands and all, but he got injured three times last year. At one point, he came back and struggled to plant his foot and make good cuts and really looked like he shouldn't be out there. Late in the year, he had a couple impressive games. Taylor was the star of camp last summer. He showed his speed on a couple passes and torched the D. Mularkey used him on reverses and even as a backfield decoy but for the most part he didn't get a lot of work as a WR. If he dropped a pass or ran a wrong route, he wasn't allowed back into the game. Mularkey kept him to a standard that he didn't with other players and I thought that was unfair. Taylor is very fast and OMG quick. He is the guy that ya say you don't care what his 40 time is, look at him go. There's discussion of him previously in this thread.  The two of them are quite inexperienced.

A backup is probably Tajae. After an impressive "steal of the draft" rookie camp, he was their #1 and struggled. Mularkey was too harsh on a rookie (a theme of he and Whis with a slew of talented WRs that came thru) WR and Matthews would take over the #1 role. As a #2, Tajae looked more comfy and finished the season OK if he were a veteran, pretty good for a rookie. Not wow- either ok or pretty good. He was the leader in receptions in college and we see those mitts. He's definitely got em'. Year two was an injury year but when he was healthy he looked like a probable cut. This offseason, he led practices off site where players get together. He and Mariota developed a rapport again and Vrabel complimented him a couple times. This is all the veteran depth they'd have without Matthews and with Matthews, it's still not a whole lot. 

The Titans signed a UDFA named Burnett and one named Jordan. Jordan is doing well outside with the threes and has played with the twos. Burnett has been "money" in the slot and run with all three groups. He already has each QBs confidence and has made catches in traffic. Burnett seems like the fifth guy. We still don't have full contact and no preseason games so...grain of salt.

Burnett and Tajae are the reason I think Matthews stays. Coming full circle, we're back to Matthews impacting Taylor's production in 2018. Sorry for long post but I'm trying to spell out why I'm not wholly sold (on a prospect I love's) on Taylor's 2018 breakout.

One more thing- one reporter told me recently that he said "Not a wasted step. That's how Rice played the game and that's what I try to do." For a guy that uses his speed oh so wisely and turns it on when needed, to be nitpicking his steps before year two- that's the detail I love to read about a young player. 

I'm drafting him everywhere but my reservations are strong until Rishard Matthews and the Titans "tell me" otherwise

Burnett had one rep with the ones yesterday after doing well the prior two days. Vrabel explained it as they don't want QBs to rely on players but the offense and the scheme. Everyone should be able to step in and fill a spot they're trained to. Long gap in conversation. This creates bad habits of the WRs and the QBs too. Believe in the system. You do your job and the others do their job. 

In a Mariota interview, he was asked why he didn't hit a wide open WR and he said that he ran his route improperly and that's the way the coaches want it.

Do we apply this thinking to Rishard? I get a hint of BB and some of that quick Rams passing O in this way of thinking. I want to say good luck being perfect when the QB is under pressure but...what do I know. Maybe this perfection is the proper way to do camp. An OL could be exposed as Mariota doesn't have time, Mariota could throw a ball too early before a guy gets to his spot, a WR could round a corner or not run deep enough before his cut...I can definitely see the value in this thinking. 

If Burnett is catching passes although smothered, good for him, but by the same token maybe he could do something else to get open and maybe the QB shouldn't throw it. 

I'll try to limit Rishard posts in a Taylor thread. It just fit so well with yesterday and maybe finally explains his absence some or maybe it's their thinking?

In a Mariota interview, he was asked why he didn't hit a wide open WR and he said that he ran his route improperly and that's the way the coaches want it.

Not terribly interested in this thread, but this statement leaped off the page for me.  This is the last kind of decision making that you want to instill in your QB’s processing.  QBs should be looking for positive advantages and be trained to ad lib and react instantly when when they occur.  I get what the coaches are trying to do, but you don’t get your QB’s mind set involved in it, you discipline the WR on the side and use it as a teaching moment for them.

Not terribly interested in this thread, but this statement leaped off the page for me.  This is the last kind of decision making that you want to instill in your QB’s processing.  QBs should be looking for positive advantages and be trained to ad lib and react instantly when when they occur.  I get what the coaches are trying to do, but you don’t get your QB’s mind set involved in it, you discipline the WR on the side and use it as a teaching moment for them.
No kidding. Now the QB needs to analyze if the WR is running the route correctly before throwing it even if wide open? Adding another step to a process that needs to be optimized seems absurd.

They're instilling a new offense ion shorts. Maybe we shouldn't leap here. You both have excellent points. Also I don't know the particulars of the play. 

Taywan Taylor is running with the first-team offense at Titans camp.

Twitter videos taken from practice indicate Taylor has contributed his fair share of big plays, capitalizing on an enhanced role with Rishard Matthews (undisclosed) on the shelf. A 61% slot receiver as a rookie, Taylor told Titans beat reporter Paul Kuharsky he has strictly run outside routes so far under new OC Matt LaFleur. As LaFleur was the Rams' offensive coordinator last year, some comparisons have been drawn between Taylor and Sammy Watkins' 2017 usage.

Source: Titan Insider 

Jul 30 - 3:39 PM

Glowing reports during the day off yesterday. Every writer took the time to write how good Taylor has done. 

Don't bite on Davis versus Taylor comparisons. They play a different position and don't fight each other for time at all. 

Matthews went onto PUP despite Vrabel saying he'd practice day four or five so he has very little competition right now too.

Tajae dropped some balls with some bumping and hits allowed yet no tackling. Jennings seems like the next man up. Burnett who didn't play much with the ones- Vrabel said "has he dropped a pass yet?" They're doing some sort of rotation and the hungry UDFAs are outplaying Tajae so there's a good gap between starters and backups.

Camp was the lead return man Monday but Adoree shined. As long as someone else can return a bit, I don't see Camp making it even though it's early. 

Adoree torched the rookie safety and it was said he's done that a lot since spring. Somewhere in this mix, don't forget Adoree will play a handful of plays on offense.

Taylor seems very well set as the starter and if Rishard returns, he still may keep it. Everything very positive thus far

There should be tackling today and...good luck catching him. I think (like Henry but for different reasons) the tackling will only make Taylor look better.

Taylor was excellent in their scrimmage. Everyone had a different thing to rave about. 

One wrote- Davis may be the number one, but Taylor is the Titans best WR and Mariota knows it.

Pees put each starting CB on Taylor and none of them were able to shut him down. On a long TD, Ryan was on Davis and not part of the coverage, but he ran all the way downfield to congratulate Taylor.

Taylor about tackled Landry on a long Mariota run- maybe it was a bad block, but Mariota was pointing and clearly thanking him after

Travis May@FF_TravisM

Final 1st team WR snap tally:

Corey Davis 29
Taywan Taylor 28
Nick Williams 26
Tajae Sharpe 12
Darius Jennings 8
Deontay Burnett 8
Cameron Batson 6
Devin Ross 3
Jordan Veasy 1

Battle for last WR spot is incredibly tight.#Titans #TitansCamp

5:22 PM - Aug 4, 2018

Travis May@FF_TravisM

Final 1st team WR snap tally:

Corey Davis 29
Taywan Taylor 28
Nick Williams 26
Tajae Sharpe 12
Darius Jennings 8
Deontay Burnett 8
Cameron Batson 6
Devin Ross 3
Jordan Veasy 1

Battle for last WR spot is incredibly tight.#Titans #TitansCamp

5:22 PM - Aug 4, 2018
If this is for the scrimmage, Veasy had two catches and Tajae ran with all three units so I'm confident these are "off"

Corey Davis came out in pads today and went through pre-practice and immediately headed to the locker room, Matthews has been MIA all offseason. This is the guy to have in Tennessee in early drafts. If Davis and Matthews improve I’d walk back that take but Taylor has the opportunity right now.

Travis May‏ @FF_TravisM

Final 1st team snap WR tally in my five completely charted practices:

Taywan 156

Corey 155

Williams 66

Tajae 55

Jennings 50

Campanero 36

Burnett 8

Batson 6

Ross 3

Veasy 1

As much as I love Burnett he’s destined for practice squad. Clear 1-2. #Titans #TitansCamp

4:40 PM - 7 Aug 2018

I would strongly guess that Taylor's value rises considerably after Thursday's game so maybe send out some trade offers before the game. I don't expect Davis to play since he's missed practices, same with Rishard.

Most people seem to have not seen him play or have barely seen him. We all overreact to speed and he has tons of it. If it's not because he does well Thursday then it will be because he is OMG fast or quick. 

Travis May‏ @FF_TravisM

As much as I love Burnett he’s destined for practice squad. Clear 1-2. #Titans #TitansCamp

4:40 PM - 7 Aug 2018

Jennings is one of the most useful players in the NFL but he has never excelled at CB, S, RB, or WR. He has largely played WR this year and it's the first time he runs with the ones somewhat regularly. Tajae is still having good days and bad days and not stringing the good together. EVERYONE comments like this on Burnett. It's hard to project anything else for a UDFA but geesh there must be something there

JRob said the coaches gave Taylor an almost perfect score on Thursday and raved about his understanding of when to take the defense away from the play because he's doubled and when he's going to have to make a play anyway because he's doubled. It's part of maturing in the NFL.

Bri, are you starting to think Taylor has more upside this year than Davis in this offense?
I'm sick of him missing time but ...I don't know. He is as advertised in practice. The glorious big tall fast WR that can do it all. Now that we've crossed a point of OMG when are you coming back! With Rishard, I think we may see them use Rishard as the replacement for whichever WR is not getting it done. I'm not sure Rishard can return a starter anymore. I think those two will compliment each other very well, but when the youngsters goof, the veteran will be there to sub.

The slot is developing real well in camp and Tajae is coming along outside. They're real happy with how things have worked out and they could have been brutal with how young they are. As long as the depth is established as depth, there's gotta be some comfort for Taylor and Davis to be the starters and just do their jobs. I'd put them as just a duo and wouldn't put either first

Having followed the Titans' beats on Twitter for every practice this year it sounds like Taylor has had the better camp/pre-season -- injuries to Davis aside.  Guy is being severely underdrafted in redraft right now.  It's very possible he's the #1 WR (or 1a/1b) in TEN this year.

ETA:  Taylor has taken virtually all of his reps outside.  Or had the last time I saw a count.

Users who are viewing this thread