What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Early rankings - Tremblay (1 Viewer)

The hardcore FF players who congregate on this board are a disadvantage to FBG in some ways, as the hivemind will always find oversights or inconsistencies from a relatively small staff. Plus, the people posting here are the most vocal but may not represent a huge % of subscribers--casual players, the type who would never have thousands of posts on a messageboard and wouldn't even know who Tyreek Hill is without FBG probably think the rankings are great. I'm sure they provide value to many people.

On the other hand you can look at features that were promised and abandoned (search for the 2016 Perfect Draft articles for a very sad result) and make your own call about where the site put its priorities. The fact that they tried to rope in people with lifetime subscriptions may tell you something. But I suppose we've had this debate before.

You can't have both - you can have well thought out or fast.  But it probably should be better communicated just to set expectations.
You can,  but then it's expensive and would probably take more than 1 or 2 people to get high-quality stuff out quickly.   The old iron triangle...   It is a paid site though,  and there is plenty of fast and free content that isn't quality out there.   Best to go with high quality.  I also don't think the posters are blaming the writer,  they seem to be blaming the site for not putting more resources on this as it is something they value.   Aren't there editors to point out he missed Sammy?  Anyone could make that mistake. 

Mr. Nasty said:
Big big fan of FBG and have been here for a long time. Can't believe I'm saying it, but I agree with all of you guys. Things have been trending downward this year and I am questioning my future subscriptions as well. FBGs used to give us a big advantage in our leagues as the information was timely and insightful. Not so anymore. Sad.

I'm in the same boat as well. Among other things already mentioned, for me, the biggest "miss" this year has been on IDP coverage. "Reading the Defense" feels like an afterthought at times with minimal analysis, and "Eyes of the Guru", though informative at times, comes far too late in the week, sometimes hours before the Thursday night game.

It's not really as helpful and timely for me as it used to be in years past. 

The hardcore FF players who congregate on this board are a disadvantage to FBG in some ways, as the hivemind will always find oversights or inconsistencies from a relatively small staff. Plus, the people posting here are the most vocal but may not represent a huge % of subscribers--casual players, the type who would never have thousands of posts on a messageboard and wouldn't even know who Tyreek Hill is without FBG probably think the rankings are great. I'm sure they provide value to many people.
So what you're saying, basically, is that hardcore FF players have out-grown FBG?  If so, I can buy that.

There are tons of better, more in-depth sites that offer more value from an insight perspective and cost less or are free.  The only reason I purchased a subscription this season was to have my leagues managed by MyFBG, but they made such an utter mess out of it that that combined with their uninspired rankings have left no reason to do so again.  If anyone knows of another site that employs MyFBG functionality well, I would love to hear it.

So what you're saying, basically, is that hardcore FF players have out-grown FBG?  If so, I can buy that.

There are tons of better, more in-depth sites that offer more value from an insight perspective and cost less or are free.  The only reason I purchased a subscription this season was to have my leagues managed by MyFBG, but they made such an utter mess out of it that that combined with their uninspired rankings have left no reason to do so again.  If anyone knows of another site that employs MyFBG functionality well, I would love to hear it.
Do you mind sharing some of your other "go-to" sites? 

Early Rankings are early rankings, its nothing I'm hanging my hat on in any case, and MT is the absolute goods and I wish him well with his fight and hope we are blessed with him here for a long long time.

7:30 on the east coast. No Dodds rankings, no Bloom etc. waivers run overnight. Not making any claims but would like to look at some DST rankings and see where they are compared to my thoughts.  Guess I'll just use the free assistant coach thread and get advice from free experts. 

7:30 on the east coast. No Dodds rankings, no Bloom etc. waivers run overnight. Not making any claims but would like to look at some DST rankings and see where they are compared to my thoughts.  Guess I'll just use the free assistant coach thread and get advice from free experts. 
9:15 and still nothing

I would question one thing independent of MT this week, no mention of marquise Lee  in the weekly upgrades email, with hurls dealing with his hamstring 

Kind of ridiculous....week before playoffs with must win games and have to stay up hitting refresh. Awesome.

Here is a work around...I think:

1) Go into MyFBG

2) Select Top 200 Forward for your league of choice (available there though not linked yet on Week 13 content page)

3) Note that "This Week" column is Dodds' weekly points projections...I believe...not sure though

4) Copy List

5) Paste into Excel or your favorite spreadsheet

6) Sort by this week

There...a ranking list sorted by this week point totals only, so no detailed stats...but, hey, its a list.

EDIT: Oops...just doubled checked.   Maurile's early projections are the only ones available in the Top 200 right now.  So in effect, my method above is not a "work around", but rather a redundant time waste leading to an inferior result.  Sorry. However, the idea was based on a good premise...content is often available in the MyFBG page well before it shows up on the Weekly Content Page.  Thus, I also check first there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we are again, 10:30 on Tuesday night, waivers runs at 4am and the only guy with projections is MT. Dodds and Bloom again with nothing.

Might be done subscribing.

This is the last week of the regular season, it's important, and here we are hanging. Us guys who have no time do our own projections pay for this feature and we're left hanging again
this was something I saw quite often last year when I subscribed. sucks when you are trying to stream or if you are deciding between 2 guys. 

you're right, you pay to not have to spend your own time in research 

I would also be curious what sites you are referring to.

I'm so glad others have spoken out about the Random Shots being a complete waste of time. It is an embarrassing thing to read.

That said, I do not share in the frustrations of a lot of you. Maybe it is because my main league isn't as competitive, who knows. Also, my league's waivers run on Thursday morning, so I'm often not in a rush. I can understand the frustrations if my waivers were run earlier. What I will say is the shining light of this site for me has become Matt Waldman. To put it simply, he has been a difference maker in my experience with this site. I absolutely make sure to read anything he writes each week, and the vast majority of the time, it is worth my while. I will disagree with those who say that FBG advice is late to the game on players because I do not find this to be the case. Bloom in his On The Couch podcast has alerted me to countless players over the years. Bloom still does this, and now Waldman does as well. Tyreek Hill is just the latest guy I can remember both of them talking about weeks prior. 

I will follow that up though by saying that I've long been a bit dismayed about Bloom's Sell High/Buy Low article. That has often been published very late in the week and I'm not exactly sure why. That is the big piece to me that has often been late. 

Still, I'm disappointed in those who say that the IDP coverage has gone downhill. I was thinking of expanding my fantasy football game to IDP, and this makes me sad.

Can't find Corey Coleman.

Was surprised to not see Dodds projects up for Week 13.

IMHO this is more caused by DFS.  I got a "free" sub this year by putting in $10 into FanDuel.  That's about the only way I'll be "buying" a sub again.  Have really loved this site, but it's over.  Even the SP is starting to lose it's luster with so many ACF posts tactfully embedded into player threads.  And the lack of moderation is just brutal with so much back and forth bickering allowed.  Too much speculation to wade through the actual good/factual postings.  There are still some gems, but it's almost unusable at this point.  Breaking news is about the only reason I check in lately.

Edit:  Sorry to hear about Tremblay.  That's a bad beat for sure.  The show must go on with business, but it's unrealistic to expect him to keep going when he is fighting that.

Edit:  Sorry to hear about Tremblay.  That's a bad beat for sure.  The show must go on with business, but it's unrealistic to expect him to keep going when he is fighting that.

yes, anyone #####ing about Tremblay needs to wake up and put things into perspective.  If people want to complain about Dodds or Bloom go for it.

If your paying for a subscription you out to have at least more than just one of your gurus having predictions by the time of the waiver wire. I don't understand what this delay is between Monday night and Wednesday morning....

I'm in the same boat as well. Among other things already mentioned, for me, the biggest "miss" this year has been on IDP coverage. "Reading the Defense" feels like an afterthought at times with minimal analysis, and "Eyes of the Guru", though informative at times, comes far too late in the week, sometimes hours before the Thursday night game.

It's not really as helpful and timely for me as it used to be in years past.
Completely agree with the IDP side of things, which has been noticeably lower in quality this year. I used to really look forward to Jene's "Reading the Defense" as it had some of the more sophisticated analysis around, but the last couple (if not few) have just been a list of "every week start", "match up dependant" etc players, along with an updated list of three down linebackers. I really don't know how this helps anybody. "Eyes of the Guru" has been a little better this year, but basically all of it is rehashed in the IDP Roundtable podcast (which is too late in the week to be useful - waivers have already passed) so there isn't actually any content that ends up being exclusive to subscribers. It's disappointing, but honestly there isn't much good IDP content out there full stop. It's not just FBG.

I'll probably keep subscribing because it's not a lot of money and I do use some of the content, even if only occasionally (though I would say that I don't even look at 75-80% of the articles). I like some of Waldman's articles, the staff roundtables, and the waiver upgrades and game recaps still contain some useful material. I also use the snap count data extensively and like to see Bloom's tiers and rankings because at least he makes a clear effort to adjust his thinking week to week, based on matchups etc. But if you're playing in deeper dynasty leagues, a lot of the content is very week to week focused and more targeted to shallower redraft leagues so it's of limited use.

Please share
If rankings are what you are into, is there anything better than Fantasypros? You can sort out the hacks and get great rankings into. I don't really understand relying on just Tremblay, Dodds and Bloom. Use their info, but compare it to other good info.

fantasy pros seems like it has an aggregation of group think, pretty good free site.  FFindex index is also free, rotoworld has some good free stuff as well.  My league also uses CBS, so I have access to all of that as well.

This has been a rough season for me, trying to battle back, but I don't blame FBG, just some bad luck and a couple of bad draft picks I've been trying to recover from.

I'm 50/50 for a re-up myself, I wish the 90% of the content would come out on Tue and Wed though, I rarely check the content past Thu/Friday.

Maybe it's just one of the teams I have this year? But, it's also a BIG money league. I have been closely following rankings / moving forward from FBG's for several years and have found a way to win and / or keep my head above water. This year I am 5-7 in this league and tied for second as first place is a big tie at 7-5. Not out of it yet, but....

What I have seen is my players are all highly ranked but not coming through! I have a top 5 QB, two Top 10 RB's, Two top 10 WR's, a Top 3 TE and hardly any of them did diddly squat last week or the past three weeks! I'ven never seen anything like this before!

Another team I am 8-4 and made HUGE strides after numerous injuries.

Do you mind sharing some of your other "go-to" sites? 
I'm mainly a dynasty guy now, so my two go-to sites for that would be Dynasty League Football and Dynasty Nerds.  But here are some other sites I use:

News:

NFL

Pro Football Talk

Rotoworld

Statistics:

Football Outsiders

General:

FF Today

Rotoworld

And I'm sure there are tons more both free or otherwise, but I find I can get by with these.  I feel like I'm experienced enough not really need to be told who to play over another player unless they're so close they seem to confound the experts as well; nor do I need to be told the obvious pick ups.  It's the guys you're trying to snag before they pop I need a bit of help with. These are the guys you need to be steps ahead of your competition to pick up in dynasty leagues.

i come here for the forums
It's about all that's left to come for anymore.

If rankings are what you are into, is there anything better than Fantasypros? You can sort out the hacks and get great rankings into. I don't really understand relying on just Tremblay, Dodds and Bloom. Use their info, but compare it to other good info.
Thanks for this!  I will add them to my "tool box".

I didn't see an update that included Dodds' projections until around 9 PM Pacific or so -- may be off on the exact time I checked, but it was around there, give or take. Even so, that's nearing/past midnight for East Coasters. Checkling the site now, Dodds projections are there, but Blooms are not.

Look, I love this site. I come here equally for the community that has been built within the forums, and for the generally insightful analysis. I have seen the complaints through the years -- which have really escalated this year -- and have given FBGs all the doubt and leeway I felt they duly deserved given the complexities of trying to grow their business. I've normally seen the complaints as PTTS-like complaining. The forecasts FBGs provide are tools only, and shouldn't be the sole place an educated FF GM should gain information to inform their weekly lineup/waiver decisions.

But one thing I can't overlook any longer is what seems to me a slow decline in caring about the customer -- something I think Joe & Co. truly do strive for, but seem to be failing more these days. Some of this manifested in the threads mods started to request feedback on their app and updates. Rather than taking the feedback, constructive criticism, and sympathizing with those that were dealing with bugs, the responses from staff seemed more curt and dismissive to the voice of the customer, which was weird given that they started the thread to illicit this very type of feedback.

I can excuse the occasional lapse of timely updates, as well -- this, too, I can forgive as an artifact of running a site with mutliple moving pieces across many staff members. Stuff happens. That's OK. But what's not OK are two things I see as becoming endemic: 1) the problem is getting worse, not better, with more content being late or not showing up at all when customers want it, and more troubling, 2) a lack of response to customers about these kinds of issues. 

It's one thing to make a mistake -- we all do it, and I've seen Joe do the right thing with response (sending out apology emails or respond in threads, etc.) many times since the days of Ol Yeller, giving all his customers -- paying and non-paying alike -- the sense that they are heard, that pain points are understood, and that they will strive to get it right.

I get less and less the sense this is so. This may just be my perception, but as a customer (paying customer, but this is true for any user of this site) that's the most troubling for me.

You can't let the voice of the customer go unheard. If this site is simply becoming too diversified (DFS, basketball, running leagues and contests with 3rd parties, etc.) to the point that the customer experience begins to fail and they feel disenfranchised without recourse, it's a sad reversal of what I believed to be a central tenet Joe had for this site from the beginning. I still believe Joe has that tenet at heart, but it simply isn't being shown right now.

I didn't see an update that included Dodds' projections until around 9 PM Pacific or so -- may be off on the exact time I checked, but it was around there, give or take. Even so, that's nearing/past midnight for East Coasters. Checkling the site now, Dodds projections are there, but Blooms are not.

Look, I love this site. I come here equally for the community that has been built within the forums, and for the generally insightful analysis. I have seen the complaints through the years -- which have really escalated this year -- and have given FBGs all the doubt and leeway I felt they duly deserved given the complexities of trying to grow their business. I've normally seen the complaints as PTTS-like complaining. The forecasts FBGs provide are tools only, and shouldn't be the sole place an educated FF GM should gain information to inform their weekly lineup/waiver decisions.

But one thing I can't overlook any longer is what seems to me a slow decline in caring about the customer -- something I think Joe & Co. truly do strive for, but seem to be failing more these days. Some of this manifested in the threads mods started to request feedback on their app and updates. Rather than taking the feedback, constructive criticism, and sympathizing with those that were dealing with bugs, the responses from staff seemed more curt and dismissive to the voice of the customer, which was weird given that they started the thread to illicit this very type of feedback.

I can excuse the occasional lapse of timely updates, as well -- this, too, I can forgive as an artifact of running a site with mutliple moving pieces across many staff members. Stuff happens. That's OK. But what's not OK are two things I see as becoming endemic: 1) the problem is getting worse, not better, with more content being late or not showing up at all when customers want it, and more troubling, 2) a lack of response to customers about these kinds of issues. 

It's one thing to make a mistake -- we all do it, and I've seen Joe do the right thing with response (sending out apology emails or respond in threads, etc.) many times since the days of Ol Yeller, giving all his customers -- paying and non-paying alike -- the sense that they are heard, that pain points are understood, and that they will strive to get it right.

I get less and less the sense this is so. This may just be my perception, but as a customer (paying customer, but this is true for any user of this site) that's the most troubling for me.

You can't let the voice of the customer go unheard. If this site is simply becoming too diversified (DFS, basketball, running leagues and contests with 3rd parties, etc.) to the point that the customer experience begins to fail and they feel disenfranchised without recourse, it's a sad reversal of what I believed to be a central tenet Joe had for this site from the beginning. I still believe Joe has that tenet at heart, but it simply isn't being shown right now.
:thumbup:

I just discovered that FantasyPros will allow you to import your teams much like MyFBG, you have to pay in order to import more than one team, but even the mid-tier option is less than the cost here for the season so I'm definitely done as a paying customer here after this season.  It's been real.

Well said. I think you hit the nail right on the head. What did it for me last year was when Dodds came into one of these complaining threads to state eloquently, "no one is forcing you to subscribe." That was perhaps the worst thing he could have said. Working with people is tough. I do it every day. What we are taught to do in those scenarios is the exact opposite of what Dodds did (We are taught "L.A.S.T."). If that's how a company wants to run its business then that's fine, but then don't say that you care about the customer's opinions. I want to see FBG succeed but when I offer a suggestion or give feedback on opportunities for improvement, and I'm told to go pound sand, that's off putting. 

I think a lot of the reason for this shift (speculating here) would be a shift in where the funds to run this site are coming from. I imagine most of the dollars to run the site and pay staff come from ads/DFS/etc and not from subscriptions. Again, I'm speculating, but it would make sense. Why care about a handful of people complaining about content and not renewing their subscriptions (a few hundred bucks maybe?) when we are bringing in thousands with a particular DFS site advertising 

I just get the impression that around now the FBG staff just can't wait for fantasy playoffs to be over. I feel like there's a huge sigh of relief that "we made it" similar to how I would feel at the end of a long week. It just shows in how later in the season as content becomes watered down, late, or non existant

I will say, I think our experiences have been a bit different on this site. I've consistently seen Joe take a dismissive and smug attitude towards people on this board, and it is in spite of him that I stay with FBG. The over-moderation on the board has long been a problem for me with him as well, and caused me to give up on this message board. It is because of Bloom, Waldman, Clayton Gray, Adam Harstad, Greg Russell and the staffers that I've exchanged posts and private messages with that have proved the quality of this site for me and kept me with it. Whenever I've raised an issue, it has been another staffer, not Joe, who has been empathetic to my concerns. 

I appreciate these complaining threads because it reminds me that I am not alone in my push and pull of wanting to support this site. Never have I felt that they (meaning Joe) care about me as a customer, but I've always been satisfied with the content. That continues for me, though I can certainly understand it isn't the case for everyone.

I just discovered that FantasyPros will allow you to import your teams much like MyFBG, you have to pay in order to import more than one team, but even the mid-tier option is less than the cost here for the season so I'm definitely done as a paying customer here after this season.  It's been real.
Quick tip: You can import another team if you sign up with a different email address.

Kind of annoying to have to keep logging in and out, but it's free and definitely useful.

There has definitely been a noticeable trend of people stating this will be their last year subscribing.  I've seen complaints across the years, but generally they are just complaints about timing or specific issues.  In fact, it was common to say, despite any issues, "but I'll still subscribe just for the contest" or "just for the community".  I've never seen people state it will be their last year subscribing, or worse, requesting refunds, with the frequency I've seen over the last couple months. 

Without a doubt, there is definitely a change in the quality of the product AND service here.

Didn't want the FantasyPros tip to drive you from the forum.

To be clear, I still love FBG. I will always subscribe for the FBG Contests alone. I mostly enjoy the forum and like supporting FBG just for that reason (yes I know it's free). I know some complain that the forum has gone downhill, but there are great contributors that I love reading like SSND, Biak, FFninja, etc. I may not always agree with them, but alternative viewpoints are always helpful.

Didn't want the FantasyPros tip to drive you from the forum.
Sorry, I can see how the "It's been real" comment gave you that impression, but I plan to stick around the forums.  I just don't see any need to pay for the service here.

Posted Tuesday at 03:23 PM · Report post

My thoughts are maybe it's best that he just take a leave of absence instead of putting out an inferior player ranking.  Everyone would understand why he wasn't able to give his rankings if he's sick.  I did not know he was sick so I understand why things look off.

dkp993

• Footballguy
Understood and fair enough.   I don't know his current condition and it's not my place to speak on it if I did.  I'm merely pointing out that these are human beings we're talking about and dealing with and sometimes outside factors affect what we do at work.  It happens to us all.  If his current situation is affecting his work (and that's a huge if as we don't know if it is) it's only been a very minor impact and not something that calls for him to stop doing it.   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said dkp993.  Good lord people, get some perspective.  Life comes first, quit being such whiners and allow a valued contributor to work through some issues for God's sake.  It's Fantasy football, not your entire retirement portfolio.

Get well Maurile.

Oh my gosh no Watkins on the list, what will we ever do.  :(

(just for grins he's on the list now at WR 34, good luck this week)

Users who are viewing this thread