What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

Am I right for Rivian current SUV, those are all $95,000 + today, right?
Probably $57,000 if Footballguys.com buys it.

Can you elaborate? Everything I see here is in the 90K+ range. https://rivian.com/configurations/l...QAvD_BwE&gad_source=1&SORT=Featured&MODEL=R1S
If you buy it as a business vehicle you're buying it with dollars before Joe Bryant FICA, before Joe Bryant Federal Income tax, and before Footballguys self employment tax. Basically you save 15% plus whatever your top tax bracket is. Others living in states with state income tax would save that also but wouldn't apply in Tenn. As a heavy vehicle you get a huge write off in year one.

Can you elaborate? Everything I see here is in the 90K+ range. https://rivian.com/configurations/l...QAvD_BwE&gad_source=1&SORT=Featured&MODEL=R1S
If you buy it as a business vehicle you're buying it with dollars before Joe Bryant FICA, before Joe Bryant Federal Income tax, and before Footballguys self employment tax. Basically you save 15% plus whatever your top tax bracket is. Others living in states with state income tax would save that also but wouldn't apply in Tenn. As a heavy vehicle you get a huge write off in year one.
And when he wraps it with a giant Black-eyed Joe, he can write it off as a marketing expense.

And when he wraps it with a giant Black-eyed Joe, he can write it off as a marketing expense.
Yup/

Yes. But for apples to apples comparison with other vehicles, the SUV is in the $95,000+ range today, right?

Yes. But for apples to apples comparison with other vehicles, the SUV is in the $95,000+ range today, right?
Rivian makes a really slick vehicle. I think you are correct that yes, it should be compared other high end SUV's that also have starting prices of 75K but mostly are going to cost 85K or more.

Here is a list of current inventory and there are plenty at 75K-85K but also plenty at or around 95K.

Yes. Personally if in the market i would looked for a used one with 5-10k that originally retailed for $95k in the $75k range. Honestly I think their is a limited market for a 3rd row of seating in this price range when it's an "adventure" vehicle. In this price range you have to check all the boxes. The truck did that for me as a hiker, hunter, camper, occasional blue collar worker that needs to haul clients around for business at times.

Been driving an Audi Q5 this week on vacation. Press the gas...wait for it...wait some more....go. Missing the instant torque, but boy is the engine kill at stop light annoying.
Hate that. Ex had a Jeep that shut off when you stopped. Would be a dealbreaker for me. Found it incredibly annoying.

As a family who hasn't had a car payment in nearly 5 years I can't imagine spending 50 grand on a vehicle. 90 grand? Forget about it. I'm a few years from retiring and jumping into this type of cost on a technology that isn't quite ready to be the norm seems way to risky to me. Imo

As a family who hasn't had a car payment in nearly 5 years I can't imagine spending 50 grand on a vehicle. 90 grand? Forget about it. I'm a few years from retiring and jumping into this type of cost on a technology that isn't quite ready to be the norm seems way to risky to me. Imo
There are plenty of options in the sub 50K EV market.

You can pick up a 22MY EV used for 20-25K. Great daily driver, not great multi state road trip car.

I paid $40k and got $7500 back on a Kia Niro EV (Subaru shaped thing) a couple of years ago. By my math, it will cost less than an equivalent gas car over its life assuming 200k miles. It wasn't an overwhelming difference, but it's there. We still have a gas car in the family, so I take that on road trips a couple of times per year, otherwise I use the EV for everything, including carting around 2-3 mountain bikes all summer. I'm out in the country, 99% of my charging is at home.

I paid $40k and got $7500 back on a Kia Niro EV (Subaru shaped thing) a couple of years ago. By my math, it will cost less than an equivalent gas car over its life assuming 200k miles. It wasn't an overwhelming difference, but it's there. We still have a gas car in the family, so I take that on road trips a couple of times per year, otherwise I use the EV for everything, including carting around 2-3 mountain bikes all summer. I'm out in the country, 99% of my charging is at home.
We paid 32K for a Bolt and got the 7500 back and got a level 2 charger installed for free. :flex:

Is 200K miles a reasonable assumption? Does that estimate include battery replacement?

Road & Track article
On average, 1 percent of cars built every year make it past 200,000 miles.

Is 200K miles a reasonable assumption? Does that estimate include battery replacement?

Road & Track article
This is a good point. I imagine @Tick was using the 200K as an upper limit, or perhaps he truly is a 1%'er :)

And while battery replacement is indeed expensive, I think sometimes we forget that ICE cars need several replacement parts over their life in a typical 200K lifespan. I have owned cars in the 150K mile range that have needed a new transmission, clutch, catalytic converter, alternator, etc. While likely not nearly as expensive individually as a battery pack, it sure does add up

Tesla batteries are designed for 350k miles. Even model s are not seeing battery degradation to the point they are swapping now out beyond 10 years old.

If this was truly a thing worth sweating you would start hearing about it in droves from model 3 owners by now too.

Just more ICE FUD.

Thanks. I know you like the Volt. Are there others you'd recommend or does Volt still top the list for you in that category?

Thanks. I know you like the Volt. Are there others you'd recommend or does Volt still top the list for you in that category?
Bolt, not Volt. Terrible choice by Chevy to have those two names. Bolt is all electric. Volt is plug in hybrid.

The Bolt is a fine car. Nothing special, but a full EV for what amounts to 27K is a hell of a bargain. We looked at a few options - Tesla 3 (42K before credit), Hyundai Kona (36K before credit), Kia Niro (42K before credit) but went with the Bolt because of the cost - we did get the EUV version which is slightly larger version. Almost splurged for the Ioniq 5, I really liked that, but decided that we didn't need to spend in the high 40's for a car.

Bolt, not Volt. Terrible choice by Chevy to have those two names. Bolt is all electric. Volt is plug in hybrid.

The Bolt is a fine car. Nothing special, but a full EV for what amounts to 27K is a hell of a bargain. We looked at a few options - Tesla 3 (42K before credit), Hyundai Kona (36K before credit), Kia Niro (42K before credit) but went with the Bolt because of the cost - we did get the EUV version which is slightly larger version. Almost splurged for the Ioniq 5, I really liked that, but decided that we didn't need to spend in the high 40's for a car.
Thanks. And sorry for the name error. I agree they could have done better on the name. But as someone who has 3 different products all having "draft dominator" in the title, I don't have much room to talk. :lmao:

I will say this about electric cars. I was very very close minded in regards to them. I could site articles in regards to our ancient power infrastructure, horrible mining conditions in Congo to supply these cars, the inconvenience of charging locations, and just the overall cost. Having said all that, this thread has at least opened my mind a little. Good info people and it's the reason I slum around here for perspective. Ha ha

Road & Track article
This is a good point. I imagine @Tick was using the 200K as an upper limit, or perhaps he truly is a 1%'er :)

And while battery replacement is indeed expensive, I think sometimes we forget that ICE cars need several replacement parts over their life in a typical 200K lifespan. I have owned cars in the 150K mile range that have needed a new transmission, clutch, catalytic converter, alternator, etc. While likely not nearly as expensive individually as a battery pack, it sure does add up
My EV is at almost 53k miles. $0 in maintenance so far.

ETA: replaced my cabin air filter - $10?

Last edited:
I will say this about electric cars. I was very very close minded in regards to them. I could site articles in regards to our ancient power infrastructure, horrible mining conditions in Congo to supply these cars, the inconvenience of charging locations, and just the overall cost. Having said all that, this thread has at least opened my mind a little. Good info people and it's the reason I slum around here for perspective. Ha ha
I too have hard-right-wing relatives on Facebook.

Rivian makes a really slick vehicle. I think you are correct that yes, it should be compared other high end SUV's that also have starting prices of 75K but mostly are going to cost 85K or more.

Here is a list of current inventory and there are plenty at 75K-85K but also plenty at or around 95K.

What kid of scratch does it take to insure one of these? Already paying a small fortune for a regular vehicle - these that take 30k to fix a fender bender have to be out of sight.

What kid of scratch does it take to insure one of these? Already paying a small fortune for a regular vehicle - these that take 30k to fix a fender bender have to be out of sight.
Mine didn’t cost any more than a regular car.

Yea this seems like a very unfounded weird claim. My insurance didn’t change a bit with our car. Why would a fender bender be any different with an EV?

Yea this seems like a very unfounded weird claim. My insurance didn’t change a bit with our car. Why would a fender bender be any different with an EV?
In fairness the Tesla I was looking at was about 50% more to insure but that was also a more expensive car. The Bolt was like $200 more a year than the 96 Lexus I was driving that was probably worth 5 grand totaled.

I too have hard-right-wing relatives on Facebook.
And this is the reason why I would ever leave. Ha ha

I just see stories like this - $40k for a fender bender and figure that the insurance cost would track with repair costs. That's way, way higher than an ICE vehicle.

In general EV repair costs seem to be significantly higher than ICE vehicles - WSJ.

I think replacement parts are still a little harder to find for EVs. Will change over time.

I just see stories like this - $40k for a fender bender and figure that the insurance cost would track with repair costs. That's way, way higher than an ICE vehicle.

In general EV repair costs seem to be significantly higher than ICE vehicles - WSJ.
There are a lot of articles out there that I consider hit pieces against EVs. They'll take part of the story or a one off occurrence and make it sound like the norm. There are a lot of anti EV folks out there for a variety of reasons and these get views. I mean of course Rivian repair costs are high. It's a limited volume manufacturer and they cost 100 grand. Like saying Ferrari repair bills are high. Better article that's more grounded in fact.
EV repairs

$1800 a year for my Rivian. It was a commercial policy with a $1mm liability coverage so I expect that was inflated by $300-$400?

Tesla batteries are designed for 350k miles. Even model s are not seeing battery degradation to the point they are swapping now out beyond 10 years old.

If this was truly a thing worth sweating you would start hearing about it in droves from model 3 owners by now too.

Just more ICE FUD.
I didn’t realize this. When we bought my wife’s last car, we considered a Leaf, but at the time, batteries were lasting less than 10 years in hot climates. I think Nissan was sued over it, and changed their warranty as a result.

But that was in 2013. I guess things have changed quite a bit since then.

Road & Track article

I can't seem to find my notes, so I can't promise I used 200k. I might be a 1%er here, though - last two cars were a Honda Element over 300k at breakdown and a Honda Fit over 180k when crashed by my daughter.

Saw my first Cybertruck in the wild on Sunday.
(I literally don't get out much anymore. Many benefits to wfh. That's one drawback.)

My wife: Oh my god, that looks ridiculous.

Obviously going to buy one as prices keep falling.:lmao:
please blink quickly for 10 seconds if GM has you locked in a basement.

I saw yesterday that model Y's have now started to drop in the sub $25k rate now making them eligible for the $4k immediate tax break.

In fairness the Tesla I was looking at was about 50% more to insure but that was also a more expensive car. The Bolt was like $200 more a year than the 96 Lexus I was driving that was probably worth 5 grand totaled.
"Was?". I'm so sorry to hear that my brother.

Going from driving a fine piece of machinery like a '96 Lexus to one of these slot track cars. My heart goes out to you.

"Was?". I'm so sorry to hear that my brother.

Going from driving a fine piece of machinery like a '96 Lexus to one of these slot track cars. My heart goes out to you.

Haha. I still have it, just don’t drive it quite as much anymore.

Might move to China just so I can buy this thing. :hophead:
With luck, Tesla, forced to compete in that market, will bring similarly low cost EV's here as well, before Xiaomi gets their chance. Surely Tesla understands the importance of first to market :)

Users who are viewing this thread