What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eli Manning: Does Anyone Still Believe? (1 Viewer)

kyoun1e said:
C-Bound said:
I'm hovering over the trigger of pulling him for Palmer. Short week and much improved Wash D over last year is spooky...however, they are at home, desperate for a win, etc.
Palmer is a no brainer over Eli.

I'm tempted by Dalton. Even Fitz.

Would be curious to understand Bloom's logic. In his QB tiers he indicates Eli is a "desperation play."

I don't get it at all.
Well it depends. If you are in a 1QB league (how boring), then yes starting Eli is not a good position to be in.

But in a 2 QB league, Eli makes a fine number 2 QB.
Looking at other rankings out there, Eli is universally ranked 10-13. Not bad.

In my scoring system, Eli is ranked 22nd by Bloom.

Below some ugly ducklings.

Really odd.

The two 4th quarter TDs tonight were a godsend, but I swear, I hate having this guy as my starting QB. Never again. :lol:
Cruz will be back soon. If he can be a legit starter on the repaired knee, you'll be happy. Those drops by the TE will be catches by Cruz!

The two 4th quarter TDs tonight were a godsend, but I swear, I hate having this guy as my starting QB. Never again. :lol:
Cruz will be back soon. If he can be a legit starter on the repaired knee, you'll be happy. Those drops by the TE will be catches by Cruz!
I'm not convinced Cruz will recover from these injuries just like that and be the Victor Cruz of three years ago, but man, if he could, this offense could skyrocket.

Needed a garbage TD to produce a decent fantasy line. The roller coaster that is owning Eli.
Still, Bloom had Eli as a "desperation play" in his tiers and ranked 22nd in my scoring system.

Dead wrong.
Yeah I don't understand their rankings sometimes. He was ranked 11 in my scoring system, but was like 17 all week until yesterday, behind Tyrol Taylor and Carr. Ridiculous.

Mannings not going to be a top 5 QB, but he has so many weapons around him he should be in the qb1 conversation every week.

Needed a garbage TD to produce a decent fantasy line. The roller coaster that is owning Eli.
Name me a QB outside of the top 7-8 who isn't a roller coaster?

Peyton Manning?

Ryan Tannehill?

Matt Ryan?

I wouldn't feel any more confident in starting any of them. Heck, Luck has been a worse roller coaster this year

Still, Bloom had Eli as a "desperation play" in his tiers and ranked 22nd in my scoring system.

Dead wrong.
Yeah I don't understand their rankings sometimes. He was ranked 11 in my scoring system, but was like 17 all week until yesterday, behind Tyrol Taylor and Carr. Ridiculous. Mannings not going to be a top 5 QB, but he has so many weapons around him he should be in the qb1 conversation every week.
Bloom loves the shiny new toys (he's even said as much on twitter), and if it doesn't work, he moves onto the next shiny new toy.

Dead wrong.
Yeah I don't understand their rankings sometimes. He was ranked 11 in my scoring system, but was like 17 all week until yesterday, behind Tyrol Taylor and Carr. Ridiculous.Mannings not going to be a top 5 QB, but he has so many weapons around him he should be in the qb1 conversation every week.
Bloom loves the shiny new toys (he's even said as much on twitter), and if it doesn't work, he moves onto the next shiny new toy.
In 2-QB leagues this strategy makes perfect sense for your QB2 slot. I've always done best in those leagues holding one elite or near-elite option and a couple of high-risk upside guys to choose between - for instance, this year I've got Rodgers and Bradford/Mariota; last year it was Brees and some combo of RG3/Cousins/Manziel (admittedly, sometimes it works better than others).

It's a roundabout way of saying I've never cared to own Eli, because in 1-QB leagues he's basically a replacement-level guy and in 2-QB leagues his ceiling isn't high enough to bother with. I'm not sure if this directly parallels Bloom's "shiny new toy" thinking, but it makes sense to me, at least.

Ghost Rider said:
netnalp said:
Ghost Rider said:
I'm not convinced Cruz will recover from these injuries just like that and be the Victor Cruz of three years ago, but man, if he could, this offense could skyrocket.
Cruz doesn't need to be what he was three years ago. The #3 WR position for the Giants has been a dumpster fire. Parker couldn't catch a cold and Harris made some boneheaded plays and I am pretty sure both of them blew multiple assignments. Even if Cruz isn't the athlete he once was (and he likely won't be) he will know his assignments and catch what is thrown his way at a much higher rate. That alone will relieve a ton of pressure off of Manning, Beckham and Randle.

In 2 QB & super-flex leagues a QB like Manning is a blessing. He won't finish as the #1 QB overall but over the last six years he has averaged 4,200 yards and 27 TDs which are end of season QB1 numbers overall (he had one clunker of a TD season in 2013). But what makes him special in that format is that he is one of the few QBs who is virtually a mortal lock to start 16 games. He is a fire-and-forget missile of a QB that once you draft him (always for a discount because for some reason people consistently undervalue him most likely because he is boring) allows you to ignore the QB position for much longer than your league mates because you don't need to worry about getting that third nearly as much as they do.

Anybody can get injured and eventually all players skills diminish but this guy is the closest thing to found money in large QB format leagues.

Eli is very boring. He's the preachers daughter you take to the prom and then realize why she didn't have a date.

I play in 1 QB leagues and every year I try to wait on my QB because I'm not blowing an early pick on one, and I figure the difference between 7 and 12 really isn't all that big. It's seemed to work out great for me. Every year (sans 13) Eli seems to finish with low qb1 numbers but I will take that year in and year out.

In fact, this year I drafted Stafford and the Eli owner dropped him so I grabbed him up.

Eli is very boring. He's the preachers daughter you take to the prom and then realize why she didn't have a date.

I play in 1 QB leagues and every year I try to wait on my QB because I'm not blowing an early pick on one, and I figure the difference between 7 and 12 really isn't all that big. It's seemed to work out great for me. Every year (sans 13) Eli seems to finish with low qb1 numbers but I will take that year in and year out.

In fact, this year I drafted Stafford and the Eli owner dropped him so I grabbed him up.
He sure wasn't boring last night.

We Eli owners saw last night coming from a mile away. The O-Line looked awful. Eli made some poor decisions, and his receivers didn't help him out too much.

I'm probably still rolling with him for the next few weeks. Up until last night, he's had a pretty solid floor most weeks (I didn't own him week 1).

Might be interesting for Eli owners to pickup Romo in a couple of weeks to cover for his bye and rotate into the equation. Not sure how risky it is for Romo to start week 11, but it would certainly be a nice due to finish the year. Stafford also available in some leagues, but not sure I'm ready to chase those points just yet.

We Eli owners saw last night coming from a mile away. The O-Line looked awful. Eli made some poor decisions, and his receivers didn't help him out too much.

I'm probably still rolling with him for the next few weeks. Up until last night, he's had a pretty solid floor most weeks (I didn't own him week 1).

Might be interesting for Eli owners to pickup Romo in a couple of weeks to cover for his bye and rotate into the equation. Not sure how risky it is for Romo to start week 11, but it would certainly be a nice due to finish the year. Stafford also available in some leagues, but not sure I'm ready to chase those points just yet.
Marshall Newhouse almost single handedly got Rodgers killed a few years back. I feel bad for Eli they are playing this guy.

Eli Manning completed 18-of-35 passes for 199 yards and a touchdown in Sunday night's Week 5 loss to the Packers.
Manning played worse than his stats suggest. He was sailing passes all game and missed TE Will Tye for a would-be 61-yard touchdown. Manning also took three sacks and lost a fumble. He managed a late touchdown to Odell Beckham, but it was another concerning performance. The Giants offensive line was a disaster in pass protection with RT Marshall Newhouse sidelined. Even in a plus matchup against Baltimore, Manning isn't more than a mid-range QB2 for Week 6.

Oct 10 - 12:06 AM

Manning looked horrible last night.  Actually he didn't even look that good. I waited on QB in all my drafts.   Manning in some, thank God Stafford in others.  Manning is approaching drop status.

He just looks ...... terrible. Maybe those that know more than me can enlighten me but he just looks so bad a lot of the time and I have no idea how he has 2 Superbowl rings - a touch of luck, good coaching and good team that was around him ? Seems to me like he is the classic example of showing that your team does not live and die by its quarterback, and that too much emphasis is placed on them when apportioning blame or praise for a teams success and failures. Where would people put him in a quarterback ranking list ? Again, I don't know so much but visually I look at the likes of Ryan, Stafford, Flacco and they look so much better. Most QBs of this level seem to almost entirely be a product of their coaches, lines, team D when measuring success or failure.

Mark me down as a nonbeliever now. Plenty of quarterbacks put up bad games. Worse games than Eli put up yesterday night, even. But few quarterbacks look as bad as Eli did. He played stupid, he played shy, he played confused. Maybe it's that the offense can't support McAdoo's vision, maybe it's the offensive line breaking the pocket, maybe it's the lack of a running threat. But I am damn sure now that Eli is part of the problem, not a victim. 

He just looks ...... terrible. Maybe those that know more than me can enlighten me but he just looks so bad a lot of the time and I have no idea how he has 2 Superbowl rings - a touch of luck, good coaching and good team that was around him ? Seems to me like he is the classic example of showing that your team does not live and die by its quarterback, and that too much emphasis is placed on them when apportioning blame or praise for a teams success and failures. Where would people put him in a quarterback ranking list ? Again, I don't know so much but visually I look at the likes of Ryan, Stafford, Flacco and they look so much better. Most QBs of this level seem to almost entirely be a product of their coaches, lines, team D when measuring success or failure.
I drafted him in 2 leagues this year.  Really thought he would be a top 10 guy with the schedule and the weapons they have.  Coming into tonight's game he was ranked 23rd in my league at qb.  He's almost a must drop at this point.  He is nothing but a streaming option and even then the lack of td's is a concern or sure

Anyone forced to roll Eli out this week?

I picked him up as Stafford insurance with what I thought would be a decent matchup vs. DET at home (where he seems to excel).

Keep thinking he'll get on one of those hot streaks.

Anyone forced to roll Eli out this week?

I picked him up as Stafford insurance with what I thought would be a decent matchup vs. DET at home (where he seems to excel).

Keep thinking he'll get on one of those hot streaks.
I've had him.  I'm glad I had a bye this past week.  I assumed I was going to be starting him this week but he is just playing awfully.  I have a waiver bid in to pick up Kap or Flacco.  I can't trust Eli in the semis.

I've had him.  I'm glad I had a bye this past week.  I assumed I was going to be starting him this week but he is just playing awfully.  I have a waiver bid in to pick up Kap or Flacco.  I can't trust Eli in the semis.
I'm in the same boat. I had Manning/Mariota this past week and went with Manning since Mariota was playing against Denver. Eli outscored him by 0.2 points and I still managed to escape with a win.

I'm going to try to snag Flacco off the wire this week. Mariota is playing against KC and I just don't trust Eli any more.

I'm in the same boat. I had Manning/Mariota this past week and went with Manning since Mariota was playing against Denver. Eli outscored him by 0.2 points and I still managed to escape with a win.

I'm going to try to snag Flacco off the wire this week. Mariota is playing against KC and I just don't trust Eli any more.
I feel pretty much the same but thankfully snagged cousins a few weeks back in redraft.   Thinking I'll just roll with kirk.  

In a 32 team dynasty I have Eli and Mike Glennon.  So yeah, go Eli! :bag:

Beckham in both, go GIANTS (more accurately, go high scoring game with Lions winning)

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the responses I was afraid of. Yikes.

I've made the right decisions so far. Rode Stafford...then ditched him for Mariota...then back to Stafford...and now here I am in the semis with Eli and Stafford. Ugh.

I can't believe I'm going to have to turn to Flacco, Kaepernick, or Siemian. 

Count me in with the non-believers.   Eli's been awful this year.   Manning will have ODB running free down the sideline for a 70-yard TD, and he will throw to freakin' Will Tye in triple coverage on a 7-yard in-route.   He's not seeing the field and has serious happy feet.   I suppose having Ereck Flowers as a left tackle will do that to you. 

I have Eli firmly planted on my bench.  My starter (Drew Brees) carried me all season, but is struggling now and faces Arizona in Week 15 which isn't so formidable anymore Patrick Peterson notwithstanding.   Even though Eli's opponent (Detroit) gives up the highest passing completion rate in the league, no way in hell do I start Eli in Week 15.  Beckham excels in spite of Manning, not because of Manning.    

Eli does have a really sweet matchup in Week 16 vs. the Eagles, but you'd have to have a set the size of grapefruits to start him.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Count me in with the non-believers.   Eli's been awful this year.   Manning will have ODB running free down the sideline for a 70-yard TD, and he will throw to freakin' Will Tye in triple coverage on a 7-yard in-route.   He's not seeing the field and has serious happy feet.   I suppose having Ereck Flowers as a left tackle will do that to you.

I have Eli firmly planted on my bench.  My starter (Drew Brees) carried me all season, but is struggling now and faces Arizona in Week 15 which isn't so formidable anymore Patrick Peterson notwithstanding.   Even though Eli's opponent (Detroit) gives up the highest passing completion rate in the league, no way in hell do I start Eli in Week 15.  Beckham excels in spite of Manning, not because of Manning.   

Eli does have a really sweet matchup in Week 16 vs. the Eagles, but you'd have to have a set the size of grapefruits to start him.  
Yes he does.  This week I feel like Eli is not playable.  Based on the way he has been playing and the Detroit DST.  But next week could be possible.  But you are right, I doubt I would have the stones to start him championship week.

Giants have to move on from Eli. I hope we cut him in the off-season. 
At least 6 teams would take him over the turd they have at QB. Then the Giants would have a turd at QB. Ain't happening. Their D is vastly improved. They are a playoff team. No chance they go from that to bottomfeeder and that's what would happen.

At least 6 teams would take him over the turd they have at QB. Then the Giants would have a turd at QB. Ain't happening. Their D is vastly improved. They are a playoff team. No chance they go from that to bottomfeeder and that's what would happen.
6? I bet I could list 16

Giants have to move on from Eli. I hope we cut him in the off-season. 
This is a bit absurd. Granted he isn't playing like a franchise QB, but he is better than probably 1/3 of the league's QBs. Yes yes not a ringing endorsement to say your QB is in the 67th percentile, but things can be a lot worse.

Did Eli drop Beckham's passes for him? He missed him on a few plays but Beckham is equally at fault

Do think the Giants should look at a backup plan to Eli. But for now there's no way Eli isn't lining up behind center next season unless he's hurt. 

Kind of ironic how Eli throws a child-like fit to not be on San Diego on draft night, and now here he is being run out of town by some of the fans

Users who are viewing this thread