What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Emmanuel Sanders (1 Viewer)

I liked him early this season as basically one of two or three receiving options on a team that can't run. Given that opportunity he hasn't shown any indication he's more than a 5 catch 50 yard type guy. And now with Miller coming back, Bell finally healthy, and a few other receiving targets emerging I don't see much upside.

Just dropped him for Keenan Allen in a ppr league

He's averaging 9.5 targets a game and is on pace for 80 catches and 924 yards. He's been targeted on several deep balls where that have resulted in several near misses and he'll ultimately come down with a few of those.

I do think going forward we see a reduction in targets but increased efficiency so not a large drop off in catches, and a few more big plays. A solid WR3.

He's averaging 9.5 targets a game and is on pace for 80 catches and 924 yards. He's been targeted on several deep balls where that have resulted in several near misses and he'll ultimately come down with a few of those.

I do think going forward we see a reduction in targets but increased efficiency so not a large drop off in catches, and a few more big plays. A solid WR3.
I'm not quite sure how you can label him a "solid"WR3". On a PPG basis he's currently ranked 63rd (high-end WR5) in standard. By the sheer volume of targets, hes ranked 50th in PPR (high-end WR4). Regardless, in neither case can he be considered a solid WR3.

I've been paying pretty close attention to the snaps/targets of PIT WRs, simply because of how often they've been forced to play catch-up this year and was originally rather surprised at how often Sanders was being targeted. He's currently tied with D. Thomas with the 14th most targets yet has by far done the least with his opportunity (aside from VJax).

I agree, he's due for a long TD as he's being utilized as the teams deep threat but his body of work up until this point obviously leaves much to be desired. I'd have a very hard time leaning on him on any given week and feel as if he's nothing more than a WR4 moving forward.

I'm not quite sure how you can label him a "solid"WR3". On a PPG basis he's currently ranked 63rd (high-end WR5) in standard. By the sheer volume of targets, hes ranked 50th in PPR (high-end WR4). Regardless, in neither case can he be considered a solid WR3.
Because even without scoring a TD he's WR43 in PPR leagues and he'll continue to get high volume and eventually find he end zone.

ETA-I can see why based on his numbers you would label him as weak WR3 or WR4 but I think we are splitting hairs at that point. What I like about a guy like that over someone who might have similar PPG stats is he's not TD reliant which usually leads to a more consistent player. Without getting into numbers of what other players are doing if I've got a WR hitting around 11 PPG without a TD and consistently catching at least 4 passes as week I tend consider that guy a solid WR3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Because even without scoring a TD he's WR43 in PPR leagues and he'll continue to get high volume and eventually find he end zone.

ETA-I can see why based on his numbers you would label him as weak WR3 or WR4 but I think we are splitting hairs at that point. What I like about a guy like that over someone who might have similar PPG stats is he's not TD reliant which usually leads to a more consistent player. Without getting into numbers of what other players are doing if I've got a WR hitting around 11 PPG without a TD and consistently catching at least 4 passes as week I tend consider that guy a solid WR3.
Whether or not he'll continue to see as many targets is very up in the air. As some people have mentioned, Heath is back and Bell will help PIT really establish a run game. The target totals have already technically started to decline anyway (12-10-8-8).

Regardless of all of that however, my problem with labeling him a solid WR3 is that implies that he's flex worthy or that he's startable in leagues where you start three WRs. He's more of a bye-week replacement/emergency type of WR, so stats aside, I'd still view him as a WR4. I mean, are you really starting this guy or even debating starting him week in and week out?

Heath Miller returning has to play into this too.
He may not sustain his current pace but than again Miller has played two games and got a fairly healthy amount of targets and Sanders still got 8 targets in those games. If you choose to frame that like earlier poster did as declining targets I say more power to you but I'll live with 8 targets a game, especially when you have a great QB throwing you the ball. I also alluded to earlier the fact I think Miller actually helps Sanders be more efficient by helping open up things.

So I've said it numerous times in this thread and I'll say it again, he's a solid WR3. When the season is done someone please pull this thread and if he's not a top 36 PPR receiver than please feel free to tell me I'm wrong.

Sanders is producing at a steady and solid clip, he's just simply not reached the end zone. Right now I believe out of every WR in the NFL that has not scored a TD he's second in average fantasy points per game behind only Shorts. He's getting 8 targets and 4 catches minimum every week. I guess we just might have different definitions of what constitutes a solid WR3 but of me it's s little deeper than YTD ranking.

Dropped him in a 16 team league non-ppr. FBG has consistently had him overvalued.

I drafted sanders, mike Williams and Michael Floyd to be my wr2 and wr3, in a start three Wrs and a flex league. I picked up marlon brown along the way. Yes, I start sanders as one of my Wrs, and I've been fine with what he's done. I think like Menobrown and follow the targets. We can all hope for Tds and a better conversion of targets, but his involvement in the offense is the key. I trust him more than marlon, Floyd and mike Williams.

Last 3 weeks Sanders is 11th in targets and 13th in receptions with 24 and 14, respectively. He's looking like a decent high floor option in WR3 / flex, with possibility of a long TD or two for some decent upside.

Sanders is quick and runs nice routes but he's soft and doesn't fight for the ball in traffic. I was fairly high on him coming into this year but that's fading.

C'mon Markus Wheaton.

I liked him early this season as basically one of two or three receiving options on a team that can't run. Given that opportunity he hasn't shown any indication he's more than a 5 catch 50 yard type guy. And now with Miller coming back, Bell finally healthy, and a few other receiving targets emerging I don't see much upside.

And haven't looked back since

maf005 said:

And haven't looked back since
Thanks. We were all curious.

Users who are viewing this thread