What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN and Mike Irvin? (1 Viewer)

Does ESPN Keep Mike Irvin?

• Yes. This blows over and Irvin stays.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. This costs him his job and he's gone in 1 week.

• No. This costs him his job after the season.

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Thoughts on this? Obviously, ESPN has shown a track record that it will make a move when hosts say or do things that are not in line with how they expect one to represent them. Does Irvin stay at ESPN?J

I think he;s gone within a week! Great football player. Bad analyist to began with. But it will be interesting tonight to watch pre game show. I thought he was off last couple weeks myself on something.

Where's the "this blows over but Irvin blows as an analyst so he'll be gone after the season is over" option?

I selected the "he's gone week 1 option". The reason is I don't see how ESPN can do anything else and remain objective when reporting. They are the first one's to question others behavior and make news out of it. If they want to keep what little bit of credibility they have left they have to terminate him now.BTW-in this morning's paper I read that Irvin is saying "it's not mine." Please Michael. This is getting more and more embarrassing the more you say. Just suck it up and take it like a man.

I went with gone at the end of the season option - I suspect ESPN will wait to see how the legal procedings turn out, as well as gauge the public's reaction toward Irvin.And sadly, it may even increase ratings a bit for Irvin.Boot. :popcorn:

I really don't see how ESPN can employ someone with this type of background, especially someone who has had a history of this behavior. Why did they hire him in the first place after all he's been arrested for and admitted to? :shrug:Irvin is a famous, mouth with football knowledge, so I can see the interest. He's always been somewhere near the center of attention, i.e, controversy. He also might have indirectly been the reason for Owens' suspension issues in Phila. And now this...IMO, there are other better former players that could be an effective analyst. And you don't necessarily have to be a marquis player in the NFL to be a good analyst - see Merrill Hoge. What's Emmitt Smith doing these days? Or Jerry Rice, Andre Reed? Adrian Murrell was always highly regarded for his leadership, wasn't he?

IMO, Irvin is one of the worst analysts I have ever heard, regardless of his "off-the-camera" transgressions. Simply doing such a bad job all the time should be more than enough to get him fired. However, they already said on SportsCenter this morning that he will not be fired and will continue on in his current role.

IMO, Irvin is one of the worst analysts I have ever heard, regardless of his "off-the-camera" transgressions. Simply doing such a bad job all the time should be more than enough to get him fired. However, they already said on SportsCenter this morning that he will not be fired and will continue on in his current role.
Now this is the type of company Nate Newton needs to get a job at.

GONE.All they needed was another excuse....There's too many interesting GOOD analysts out there waiting for a shot... So, many former players people would love to hear from... We all know what Irvin's take is on just about anything.... It might have been fun for a while (to some) - Zanny, whacky, off the cuff, who knows what he'll say, hard core.... There's nothing left.New Blood!!!How bout' Terrel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ex-jocks looking to make a healthy chunk of money pontificating on their sport are a dime a dozen. They are about the most fungible product out there. No one is more easily replaced.ESPN has to answer to sponsers, and they have to be concerned about building and maintaining an audience into the future. While adults may appreciate it's a complex world out there and that humans are subject to vice, few adults want their kids to see a sports network providing a lucrative job and a forum to such a poor role model.If he is not outright terminated or bought out immediately he will be "backseated" until his contract expires. ESPN cannot afford to have him be one of the faces of the organization. I believe he is out within the week. He will have a spokesperson announce that the stress of the wrongful accusations have taken a personal and professional toll and have created a stressful environment for his family and friends. He will be leaving "temporaily" to spend time supporting his family during this difficult time. Also his spokesperson will announce he will need to devote his efforts to vindicating his good name. He will continue with the universal defense attorney and agent playbook of denying, posturing himself as a victim of a rush to judgment, and perhaps allowing others to play the race card on his behalf.

Would it be wrong to say that ESPN's Countdown show would be the best if they had Cris Carter on their team instead of Michael Irvin?

Eventually it will occur to the other announcers that they are judged by the company they keep. One or more of them will speak to managment that they do not want to appear to be endorsing Irvin or suporting him by apearing with him. It was not that long ago that Tom Jackson took a stand saying his integrity would not allow him to abid the continuing presence of Limbaugh. Can it then abid the continuing presence of Irvin?

Would it be wrong to say that ESPN's Countdown show would be the best if they had Cris Carter on their team instead of Michael Irvin?
That would be a significant improvement, IMO. I would actually start watching the show again if they made a move like that.

That would be a significant improvement, IMO. I would actually start watching the show again if they made a move like that.
I would too, but I would hope they would get his eyebrows under control. I keep thinking he has two caterpilers on his face, it's very distracting.

I would too, but I would hope they would get his eyebrows under control. I keep thinking he has two caterpilers on his face, it's very distracting.
:lmao:

For whatever it's worth, Irvin says he's innocent. ESPN says he will be on Monday Night Down Countdown tonight.

Irvin says drug paraphernalia wasn't his

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

November 27, 2005

DALLAS (AP) -- Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after Plano police officers searched his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Irvin, an ESPN analyst and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told The Associated Press late Sunday that the drug pipe found in his car belonged to a friend of 17 years who left a Houston rehab center and came to Irvin's house in Carrollton for Thanksgiving. Irvin wouldn't reveal his friend's name.

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

"I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Irvin was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano. Irvin said he thought he had paid the outstanding ticket.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys. Asked how this kind of publicity might affect his chances of induction into the hall of fame, Irvin said his helping his friends are more important.

"The whole thing means such a great deal for me, and hopefully one day it will be there," Irvin said. "But my friends and my family mean a little more. I would rather be helping them, even if it hurts that."

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Irvin said Sunday he's always been transparent and open about his issues in the past, and now wants to help others through those same problems.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

ESPN said it has spoken to Irvin, who will still appear on the network Monday as an analyst.

"We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "But you can expect to see him on `Monday Night Countdown' on Monday evening."

Ditka to me is the obvious choice. Berman, QB, Defensive guy and a coach would give a good balance. He's outspoken and entertaining like Irvin so they'd have that angle.Could also see them bringing in Mortensen to the desk with the other three and maybe getting Clayton off the games and doing the role Mortensen does now.J

I voted for the "gone after the season" option. And just to throw another name out there....Eric Allen. I'm not sure what his current employment status is, but I think I've heard him on the radio doing some pre-game stuff.

Irvin, an ESPN analyst and semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, told The Associated Press late Sunday that the drug pipe found in his car belonged to a friend of 17 years who left a Houston rehab center and came to Irvin's house in Carrollton for Thanksgiving. Irvin wouldn't reveal his friend's name.

Irvin said he put the pipe in his car because he didn't want it in his house where his children might find it. He said he planned to drive somewhere the next day, like a grocery trash bin, and throw the pipe away but forgot.
A) Can we believe him? B) Onterrio Smith said the Whizzinator wasn't his either :unsure:

C) The excuse sounds awful good. Perhaps just good enough to believe?

D) Once a druggie, always a druggie? Ask Darryl Strawberry or Dwight Gooden.

I voted for the "gone after the season" option. And just to throw another name out there....Eric Allen. I'm not sure what his current employment status is, but I think I've heard him on the radio doing some pre-game stuff.
I would prefer Eric Allen too, but I was more interested in mocking Irvin's comments about McNabb and Favre.

Wow, fired from his job because they found a crack pipe in his car? I agree that he's not a very good announcer but the punishment needs to fit the crime here.

Ditka to me is the obvious choice. Berman, QB, Defensive guy and a coach would give a good balance. He's outspoken and entertaining like Irvin so they'd have that angle.

Could also see them bringing in Mortensen to the desk with the other three and maybe getting Clayton off the games and doing the role Mortensen does now.

J
I would also like to see Ditka. He is very good on Mike and Mike in the morning when the do the Monday morning QB.

Wow, fired from his job because they found a crack pipe in his car? I agree that he's not a very good announcer but the punishment needs to fit the crime here.
You don't think it does?

A) Can we believe him? B) Onterrio Smith said the Whizzinator wasn't his either :unsure:

C) The excuse sounds awful good. Perhaps just good enough to believe?

D) Once a druggie, always a druggie? Ask Darryl Strawberry or Dwight Gooden.
LOL @ his cover story. Irvin has no problem exposing his kids to his doper friend, but the paraphernalia, now that's over the top. Just how did Irvin know about the paraphernalia? Did his friend appear at the door with a bong or a crack pipe in hand? Did he whip it out during the carving of the turkey? Or perhaps after the meal he pulled it out in the privacy of Michaela's den? Did irvin take the paraphernalia away from his friend and leave him his drugs? Was his friend holding a pipe but no drugs yet he just decided to show the pipe to Irvin?So, Micheal recovers the pipe but not the drugs from his friend without doing any of the drugs. He determines to help his buddy towards recovery by disposing of the pipe. He can't throw it in his trash, not mind you because his buddy might look for it there, but because Irvin's kids, apparently deprived of life's bounty in spite of his millions go dumpster diving through his trash. Considering that possibility, Irvin determines to drive the pipe to the local supermarket to dispose of it there where other kids could find it.

Does this story satisfy anybody?

He should be fired, he's a Hypocrite. ESPN aka Disney should not tolerate it. Besides the fact that he is a horrible commentator, there are better anaylists out there.BYE BYE MikeAlso, do you think this will have any affect on the HOF votes???

Wow, fired from his job because they found a crack pipe in his car?  I agree that he's not a very good announcer but the punishment needs to fit the crime here.
You don't think it does?
Do they do the same thing if one of the other guys gets charged (any Sportscenter guy)?? :confused:

For whatever it's worth, Irvin says he's innocent. ESPN says he will be on Monday Night Down Countdown tonight.

Irvin says drug paraphernalia wasn't his

By PAUL J. WEBER, Associated Press Writer

November 27, 2005

DALLAS (AP) -- Former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia after Plano police officers searched his vehicle during a traffic stop.

"It's a situation that is not as it seemed," said Irvin, whose voice was choked with emotion during the telephone conversation.

"I know the type of demons they have to fight and I am going to help them, because it's the only way I can keep them from getting to my family. I have to clean up my friends because they are around my boys. It's upsetting."

Irvin was arrested on an outstanding warrant for speeding in Irving after being pulled over Friday afternoon for speeding in Plano. Irvin said he thought he had paid the outstanding ticket.

Irvin paid a fine on the speeding ticket and posted bond on the drug paraphernalia possession charge. He was released about an hour after he was pulled over.

Irvin was a member of three Super Bowl championship teams with the Cowboys. Asked how this kind of publicity might affect his chances of induction into the hall of fame, Irvin said his helping his friends are more important.

"The whole thing means such a great deal for me, and hopefully one day it will be there," Irvin said. "But my friends and my family mean a little more. I would rather be helping them, even if it hurts that."

In 1996, Irvin pleaded no contest to felony cocaine possession in exchange for four years of deferred probation, a $10,000 fine and dismissal of misdemeanor marijuana possession charges. Irvin said Sunday he's always been transparent and open about his issues in the past, and now wants to help others through those same problems.

Irvin holds Cowboys records for catches (750), receiving yards (11,904) and 100-yard games (47), including a team-record seven in a row in 1991.

ESPN said it has spoken to Irvin, who will still appear on the network Monday as an analyst.

"We've talked to Michael, who explained the situation to us the way he did to the AP, and we will continue to talk with Michael," ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said. "But you can expect to see him on `Monday Night Countdown' on Monday evening."
Until i know for sure that it was his.... then I willl give him the benefit of the doubt. And so should ESPN. I dont judge people until i know all the facts. He will stay.

I'm of the opinion that Terrell Owens obviously bears responsibility for how his deal went down but that it was also primarily driven by ESPN.It's interesting that ESPN is now similar to the Eagles in they knew exactly what they were getting. A pipe in Irvin's car is about as surprising as TO turning on his QB.J

Disney doesn't let its emplyees remove their giant costume heads in public let alone keep (their friend's) crack pipes in their cars. He's done at ESPN.

He's obviously lying. There are holes in his story you could drive a truck through. The only part I think is true is that he had the drug stuff in his car to hide HIS OWN USE from his children.

Wow, fired from his job because they found a crack pipe in his car?  I agree that he's not a very good announcer but the punishment needs to fit the crime here.
You don't think it does?
Of course it doesn't. Many people are very jaded towards Irvin and not seeing this objectively. They found a pipe, NOT drugs. I agree if they had found drugs or he had beat his wife etc he should be gone. Isn't this a misdemeanor?I cannot believe I'm defending Michael Irvin. :bag:

I honestly don't think most people will find the story very plausible. "It wasn't mine" is the standard answer for this situation. The fact he felt driving around with it in his car could somehow keep it from his kids better than putting it in his trash doesn't wash very well.Either way, it's important to note that ESPN isn't a court or looking for a crime. There is no innocent before proven guilty with them. The reality is what has happened already. A high profile employee with a history of trouble has been arrested with a pipe in his car. They are dealing with that.The next shoe to drop will likely be the "friend" surfacing and claiming responsibility and ownership. I'd expect that to happen before Countdown airs tonight.J

I honestly don't think most people will find the story very plausible. "It wasn't mine" is the standard answer for this situation. The fact he felt driving around with it in his car could somehow keep it from his kids better than putting it in his trash doesn't wash very well.

Either way, it's important to note that ESPN isn't a court or looking for a crime. There is no innocent before proven guilty with them. The reality is what has happened already. A high profile employee with a history of trouble has been arrested with a pipe in his car. They are dealing with that.

The next shoe to drop will likely be the "friend" surfacing and claiming responsibility and ownership. I'd expect that to happen before Countdown airs tonight.

J
Just out of curiosity... what would you do if one of the FBG writers was found with a pipe in his car? :o :scared:

I honestly don't think most people will find the story very plausible. "It wasn't mine" is the standard answer for this situation. The fact he felt driving around with it in his car could somehow keep it from his kids better than putting it in his trash doesn't wash very well.

Either way, it's important to note that ESPN isn't a court or looking for a crime. There is no innocent before proven guilty with them. The reality is what has happened already. A high profile employee with a history of trouble has been arrested with a pipe in his car. They are dealing with that.

The next shoe to drop will likely be the "friend" surfacing and claiming responsibility and ownership. I'd expect that to happen before Countdown airs tonight.

J
Just out of curiosity... what would you do if one of the FBG writers was found with a pipe in his car? :o :scared:
That's a good question.I think if I believed that it was the guy's crack pipe and he was lying about his story, I'd let him go.

J

If (and it's a big "if") Michael Irvin is telling the truth (and I'm not judging), one would think it would be VERY simple for him to prove.

Voluntarily submit to a drug test and make the results public.

If (and it's a big "if") Michael Irvin is telling the truth (and I'm not judging), one would think it would be VERY simple for him to prove.

Yes Spike. If I'm Irvin (and clean) that's the first thing I'm shouting about doing.That one thing could put all this to rest in a heartbeat.

J

Good idea - it would answer some questions, but...and I can't believe I'm defending Michael Irvin here...

...He won't agree to a drug test unless he absolutely has to, and he has lawyers or union leaders to make sure that does not happen.

Personally, yeah, I'd like to see the results of that test.

:lmao: at - "It was my friend's pipe and it was in my car, because I didn't want my children to see it". :unsure: :no: :thumbdown: :bs:

Irvin's contract is up after this year. If ESPN wants to avoid getting Jesse Jackson, etc. involved they'll let the legal process play out and not offer him a new contract in February.

Serious question here: Does anyone know if ESPN has a drug testing policy for their employees?

J
A quick search of the net and their employment site yielded nothing thus far. I did go to their contact site and asked them to provide a copy of their policy on this issue. It will be interesting to see if they respond.

I'd pay money to see the next NFL Countdown if Rush Limbaugh was still with the show. :excited: :popcorn:
I would think he would steer clear of the situation since he was buying oxycontin on the streets, plus dr hopping to get more and more pills.

Yes Spike. If I'm Irvin (and clean) that's the first thing I'm shouting about doing.That one thing could put all this to rest in a heartbeat.

J
I'm a therapist, specializing in substance abuse treatment. Cocaine is out of the system generally in 24-48 hours. A clean urine screen would prove nothing except he hasnn't gotten high in the last few days. In therapy I have heard the "It was my friends drugs,etc. in my car" story a million times. Most addicts usually come clean by the 4th-5th session and state, "Yeah...it was mine." If Mike owned up to it...I would be more inclined to cut him some slack. The Pete Rose approach to the issue is insulting to the public.Side-note: I couldn't be any happier about this simply because I find Irvin the most irritating NFL personality in existence. I turn the channel when he starts talking.

Users who are viewing this thread