What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN top 100 athletes of the 21st century (2 Viewers)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
Get ready for some LOLs.

I do like seeing Albert Pujols as the highest ranked baseball player

Aaron Rodgers 91st, though? That is awful.

Serena being ahead of the three stud men's tennis players is a joke, but I am sure they wanted a woman to be one of the top 2.

As usual, not much respect for hockey, with only three players on there.

Methodology​

Experts in individual sports were asked to vote to rank the top athletes in their sport since Jan. 1, 2000 (no accomplishments before this date were to be considered). Those votes pared down pools in each sport to lists of 10 to 25 athletes each, which constituted the overall candidate pool for the top athletes of the 21st century so far. Each voter was presented two randomly selected names and asked to pick which one has had the better career in the 21st century. Across repeated, randomized head-to-head matchups, more than 70,000 votes were cast at this stage, and using an Elo rating system, the list was pared down from 262 to 100. That list was then evaluated by a panel of experts for any inconsistencies or oversights, resulting in the top 100 ranking seen here.

My thoughts:

1. Genuinely surprised Lebron, Tiger, and Brady aren't 1, 2, and 3 in some order and neither is in the top 3. The list's top 3 are obviously all great athletes in their own right, but c'mon. Maybe its my American sports bias, but these guys are arguably the greatest in their respective sports and will go down as legends.
2. Love Kobe's competitiveness, but he's ranked too high. Not even a top 5 player all time and should be behind Djokovic, Nadal, and Ronaldo. Those three were world renowned in their respective sports.
3. Kudos to the list on Ledecky's spot.
4. I appreciate the nod to women, but Taurasi is way too high. Same with the next couple WNBA players being ranked ahead of the likes of Bonds, Durant, etc.
5. I've never heard of Mikaela Shriffin. First athlete on the list (44) that I've never even heard of and I follow sports intently.
6. I'm torn on Jeter. I appreciate the advanced stats suggest he wasn't all that great, but he seems way too low given his championships and drive. I see little difference between him and Kobe.
7. In five years Ohtani, Mahomes, McDavid, and Mbappe with be higher.
8. For this century, I'd put Rory over Mickelson.
9. I appreciate the cricket player add. With that in mind, I think athletes like Buvaisar Sautiev (sp?), Rich Froning, etc. should have made the list.
10. Making a list like this is hard.

ETA: Eh, Messi makes some sense in the top 3.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

1. Genuinely surprised Lebron, Tiger, and Brady aren't 1, 2, and 3 in some order and neither is in the top 3. The list's top 3 are obviously all great athletes in their own right, but c'mon. Maybe its my American sports bias, but these guys are arguably the greatest in their respective sports and will go down as legends.
2. Love Kobe's competitiveness, but he's ranked too high. Not even a top 5 player all time and should be behind Djokovic, Nadal, and Ronaldo. Those three were world renowned in their respective sports.
4. I appreciate the nod to women, but Taurasi is way too high. Same with the next couple WNBA players being ranked ahead of the likes of Bonds, Durant, etc.
5. I've never heard of Mikaela Shriffin. First athlete on the list (44) that I've never even heard of and I follow sports intently.
6. I'm torn on Jeter. I appreciate the advanced stats suggest he wasn't all that great, but he seems way too low given his championships and drive. I see little difference between him and Kobe.
9. I appreciate the cricket player add. With that in mind, I think athletes like Buvaisar Sautiev (sp?), Rich Froning, etc. should have made the list.
Shiffrin is possibly the greatest skier ever. Male or female. She’s easily the goat for the ladies.

My thoughts:

Shiffrin is possibly the greatest skier ever. Male or female. She’s easily the goat for the ladies.
Understood. Wasn't even necessarily challenging the ranking. Was just spouting off my reactions and thoughts. And I was surprised that there was somebody in the top 50 I didn't know.

I'm obviously not a skier so I appreciate she's on there. Her inclusion kind of fits into my 9th point about those who dominate the lesser followed sports.

These lists are ludicrous. For many reasons.
Most on the list just happen to play sports most popular in the US
Do this list outside the US and maybe Brady makes the list in the 90s like Virat Kohli.

Loads of all time champions in sports not popular in the US. Way too few Olympians in the list.
Usain Bolt and Michael Phelps should be #1 and #2.

Kohli was added to get click bait from India and draw outrage there. He isnt even the best Indian cricketer over the timeframe, let alone cricketer.
Heres an alternate list for just that sport
  1. Sachin Tendulkar
  2. Shane Warne
  3. Glenn McGrath
  4. Muttiah Muralitharan
  5. Dale Steyn
  6. Brian Lara
  7. Virat Kohli
  8. AB De Villiers
  9. Jacques Kallis
  10. Adam Gilchrist

Do this list outside the US and maybe Brady makes the list in the 90s like Virat Kohli.

Loads of all time champions in sports not popular in the US. Way too few Olympians in the list.

Kohli was added to get click bait from India and draw outrage there. He isnt even the best Indian cricketer over the timeframe, let alone cricketer.
  1. Sachin Tendulkar
  2. Shane Warne
  3. Glenn McGrath
  4. Muttiah Muralitharan
  5. Dale Steyn
  6. Brian Lara
  7. Virat Kohli
  8. AB De Villiers
  9. Jacques Kallis
  10. Adam Gilchrist

Any thoughts on zero Field Hockey players?

1. Sachin Tendulkar
  2. Shane Warne
  3. Glenn McGrath
  4. Muttiah Muralitharan
  5. Dale Steyn
  6. Brian Lara
  7. Virat Kohli
  8. AB De Villiers
  9. Jacques Kallis
  10. Adam Gilchrist

Any thoughts on zero Field Hockey players?
Ah, no lol.
Wrestling, weightlifting, martial arts etc
But its all about clicks. Aaron Rodgers 91st…sacrilege. Realistically he should be in the 900s maybe.

• Basketball: 24 (16 men, 8 women)
Well, that is a choice.

little tennis heavy

Big 3 and Serena is correct IMO. Easy no on Murray. I could go either way on Venus. 30 years on the Tour, 7 Grand Slam Singles Titles, + 14 more in Doubles + 2 Mixed, 4 Olympic Gold medals. Only player to lose 4 straight Grand Slam Finals, all to the same player - Serena.

20 seems like trying too hard to be inclusive, especially the WNBA.

4 soccer, 2 Tennis, 2 Track & Field, 1 each in Golf, Gymnastics, Skiing & Swimming.

Those 12 don't seem too crazy but have to admit IDK on some because I don't know enough about their sport.

• North America: 67
  • Europe: 22
  • South America: 5
  • Asia: 5
  • Australia: 1
  • Africa: 0
89% seems a little too skewed, right?

#19, a race car driver???? It's the car doing the athelic activity.
I won’t argue this too much, but these guys are incredible athletes, and they have enormous cajones.

That scene in Ford vs. Ferrari where Henry Ford practically soils himself with fear after getting in the car with Shelby? Legit.

Aaron Rodgers 91st, though? That is awful.
Too high?
Too low. A 4-time MVP in football (who won a ring and was a Super Bowl MVP) being lower than both Randy Moss and Calvin Johnson (both of whom were awesome, but no rings, and Moss's stats last century don't count here, so his insane rookie year is irrelevant in this discussion) is a joke, but I get that Rodgers is an arrogant prick who is hard to like and that ESPN and the media in general hate him now because of his (let's call them) unusual non-football takes the last few years.

1. Sachin Tendulkar
  2. Shane Warne
  3. Glenn McGrath
  4. Muttiah Muralitharan
  5. Dale Steyn
  6. Brian Lara
  7. Virat Kohli
  8. AB De Villiers
  9. Jacques Kallis
  10. Adam Gilchrist
List was from 2000 on, thus the reason Kohli was detailed.
Personally, I was appalled by Chris Gayle being omitted but I'm a fan of the big fly.

My thoughts:

Shiffrin was the one that stuck out to me on this puff piece. She started competing around 2010 and in 2023 passed Ingemar Stenmark for most world cup wins in history. The reason Phelps is #1 and Shiffrin is barely in the top 50 is because she's not had her best days in the Olympics. Nonetheless, undoubtedly the greatest skier of all time, male or female.

Phelps is a good choice for 1.

Messi should be 2. Serena at 2 is a joke.

Hakuho is a super easy 3. No idea why he's been ignored - that's ****ing insane.

Ledecky is too low. She's half the reason to watch the Olympics this time around.

Messi should be 2. Serena at 2 is a joke.
Serena is the greatest women’s tennis player of all time and it isn't really close. Messi has a case for the GOAT of soccer and is in a bigger sport worldwide, so I could see the argument but it hardly a joke.
If I was ranking just women athletes I'd put Shiffrin and Ledecky higher. On an overall scale Tiger has to be top 5.

Really should separate men's and women's. Their are probably 100 high school boys who are better athletes than any of the WNBA players and probably 10,000 teenager academy boys that would start ahead of the female soccer players.

Really should separate men's and women's. Their are probably 100 high school boys who are better athletes than any of the WNBA players and probably 10,000 teenager academy boys that would start ahead of the female soccer players.

I'm not sure gender really matters when the project is comparing sprinters and golfers and race car drivers across all of history in the same list.

No particular order within each line, but...

Tiger, Messi, Serena, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Lebron, Hamilton, Bolt, Tendulkar, Ronaldo, Curry, Mayweather, Marta, Sorenstam, etc (all time greats in ~worldwide and popular sports)

then...

Hakuho, Schiffrin, Biles, Brady, Ledecky, Phelps, Jimmie Johnson, Donald, Taurasi, etc (all time greats in ~more local or ~niche sports)

I'm sure I missed some and I'm sure ~local and ~worldwide and ~niche are open to interpretation, but that's how I'd think of them.

No particular order within each line, but...

Tiger, Messi, Serena, Federer, Djokovic, Nadal, Lebron, Hamilton, Bolt, Tendulkar, Ronaldo, Curry, Mayweather, Marta, Sorenstam, etc (all time greats in ~worldwide and popular sports)

then...

Hakuho, Schiffrin, Biles, Brady, Ledecky, Phelps, Jimmie Johnson, Donald, Taurasi, etc (all time greats in ~more local or ~niche sports)

I'm sure I missed some and I'm sure ~local and ~worldwide and ~niche are open to interpretation, but that's how I'd think of them.
Tendulkar was great, but if basing it solely on what happened this century, I dont think he’s ahead of kohli. Though there are probably others that could be argued for

That list is ridiculous. Where are cross-country skiers Marit Bjorgen and Charlotte Kalla?

I think their bias may be showing just a tad.

Users who are viewing this thread