What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ever changed your style as an adult? (1 Viewer)

My style has definitely changed over the last couple of years (45 yo).

Dropped cargo pants/shorts completely
Moved from clunky basketball shoes to runners shoes (Nike or Brooks) for casual wear
All of my shirts are fitted or tighter now instead of loose or baggy (mostly just moved from XL's to L's)
I did the total opposite of most all that. Rockin the Nike SB's and skater pants everywhere I go at 48. 😀

Being a man of leisure, my shirts and smoking jackets have always been loose fitted. Smoking pipe is probably a little more economical friendly and light weight these days.

Since I moved to Florida 30 years ago its shorts and t shirts probably 360 days a year.

Before that it was jeans and t shirts.

I like to be comfortable.

I have no style but work is jeans and polos. Casual is synthetic hiking pants when it’s cold, shorts when warm. T-shirts, quarter zips and sweatshirts.

55 and just getting on board with the "wearing sweatpants as pants" thing when I learned that jeans are no longer considered cool.
These are the thinner fitted type with pockets ... not so much the thick baggy ones that we use to wear to the gym or as pajamas.
I do still wear my cargo pants at work tho. I love that leg pocket to hold my cell phone.
I still can't believe jeans are dying.

I got fatter and had kids. I went from caring about how I looked to not caring as much. Hair is long now, below my shoulders. Often wear it in a bun but do wear it down from time to time. I can barely squeeze into the suit I had from 15 years ago and that's after it got let out. I've gained about 1 lb every year for the last 15 years.

55 and just getting on board with the "wearing sweatpants as pants" thing when I learned that jeans are no longer considered cool.
These are the thinner fitted type with pockets ... not so much the thick baggy ones that we use to wear to the gym or as pajamas.
I do still wear my cargo pants at work tho. I love that leg pocket to hold my cell phone.

The fit and style of your jeans may go out of style but jeans in general won't. They're an essential staple for every wardrobe. A good start would be making sure you don't buy them at Costco.

This is so not true.
Also not true that cargo pants should be worn. How damn big is your phone that you need to put it in the leg pocket?
Fashion takes a back seat to function at work.
The phone is big enough that it fits the leg pocket perfectly. Front pockets are for my wallet and keys ... each on opposite sides.
Phone doesn't fit in my pocket with the wallet. Phone in same pocket as keys is ok if you like your phone screen to have that rustic weathered look.
I suppose I could use the back pocket for the phone and take it out every time I sit ... that's ok when I'm on my own time but I choose not to do that at work.

I don't know that jeans are any more less popular than they've always been.

I do find myself wearing them less though for some reason.

874 Dickes that I have tapered a bit are a go to. Lots of 5 pocket options out there. https://shopmashburn.com/collection...lim-straight-5-pocket-pant-moss-canvas-s63673

Some don't like the non natural material but the ABCs https://shop.lululemon.com/p/mens-trousers/ABC-Pant-Classic-37/_/prod3470052?color=45739 and Jack Archers are comfortable https://www.jackarcher.com/products/jetsetter-tech-pants-charcoal-gray

Plus some of the ABCs are a cotton blend.

Last edited:
One thing I'm finding as I get older is trying to be simpler and finding what works best.

And thinking a little about clothes as a "system".

I'd been guilty in the past of buying random stuff I thought looked good. News Flash - most everything looks good on the models in the pictures. But those things might not all go together well.

My advice is to find a "look" or "style" that fits what looks best on you. And then build pieces around it that can hopefully interchange.

I've also found buying fewer, but higher quality things is helpful for me.

Most closets for guys are full of stuff they don't wear.

This article is pretty good on the topic. https://www.valetmag.com/the-handbook/style/simplify-your-wardrobe.php#google_vignette

The fit and style of your jeans may go out of style but jeans in general won't. They're an essential staple for every wardrobe. A good start would be making sure you don't buy them at Costco.
I would normally agree with your Costco comment, but lately I have been finding Lucky Brand jeans there for less than $40, the same style I was paying $100 a pair for at normal stores. Some of the denim colors are not as stylish maybe, so I just get the solid black ones and they are great for the office.

I've also found buying fewer, but higher quality things is helpful for me.

Most closets for guys are full of stuff they don't wear.

Yep, quality over quantity everyday. It also gives you incentive to keep your girlish figure and fit into those well crafted pieces that tend to last. I rarely buy clothes nowadays and when I do it's just workout stuff, the occasional Amiri T-shirt, socks, underwear and shoes.

I would normally agree with your Costco comment, but lately I have been finding Lucky Brand jeans there for less than $40, the same style I was paying $100 a pair for at normal stores. Some of the denim colors are not as stylish maybe, so I just get the solid black ones and they are great for the office.

I downright loathe Lucky Brand but whatever works for you. I think I still have PTSD from my college days in Dallas when everyone and their mother from Oklahoma was wearing them.

Last edited:
This is so not true.
Also not true that cargo pants should be worn. How damn big is your phone that you need to put it in the leg pocket?
Fashion takes a back seat to function at work.
The phone is big enough that it fits the leg pocket perfectly. Front pockets are for my wallet and keys ... each on opposite sides.
Phone doesn't fit in my pocket with the wallet. Phone in same pocket as keys is ok if you like your phone screen to have that rustic weathered look.
I suppose I could use the back pocket for the phone and take it out every time I sit ... that's ok when I'm on my own time but I choose not to do that at work.
No wallet is the answer here I think...

Maybe not for this group, but they are not very popular among high school and college students in my recent experience.

Joggers and athletic leisure pants or shorts are the norm, it seems.
Based on all the "What song are you listening to right now" TikTok videos (and what better way to judge student culture and fashion is there) that I watch this is correct. And the jeans that are being worn are back to the very loose/baggy style.

Based on all the "What song are you listening to right now" TikTok videos (and what better way to judge student culture and fashion is there) that I watch this is correct. And the jeans that are being worn are back to the very loose/baggy style.

Hey, NV!

You must be getting all this from Zach Bryan and 100 Gecs videos, huh?

I'm joking, sort of. Baggy jeans, huh? I'm screwed. I knew to ditch the skinny jeans, but we're wearing them baggy again? That was inevitable, but I hate it.

Hey, NV!

You must be getting all this from Zach Bryan and 100 Gecs videos, huh?

I'm joking, sort of. Baggy jeans, huh? I'm screwed. I knew to ditch the skinny jeans, but we're wearing them baggy again? That was inevitable, but I hate it.
To be fair, it's mostly the women wearing the very loose fitting/baggy jeans.

This is so not true.
I may be a bit ahead of the curve but it's coming...
What happened to jeans?
If you’re basing your :style: off of an article about teen fashion than that’s problem one.

This is so not true.
I may be a bit ahead of the curve but it's coming...
What happened to jeans?
If you’re basing your :style: off of an article about teen fashion than that’s problem one.
Hang with the 30 yo crowd for a minute ... it's not just teens.
I was in as much disbelief as you when I heard the news that jeans weren't cool anymore
... but I met the news with much less resistance than you have.

Moved to Europe 2yrs ago, and every time I come home, I get told "you look more european"... I don't think I have changed at all in appearance, but apparently my style has. So I took a step back and ya... I guess it has....
Dead giveaway as you are wearing an ascot with a beret and carrying a Baggett.

New Balance are middle aged white guy shoes. Next come the Skechers. Trust me, you will like them.
Love my Skecher slip-ons. Super comfortable and I like just stepping into them. Some younger people might think they're for old guys, but I don't care. Not trying to pretend I'm not 55. And hey, Tony Romo wears them.

Since I'm an older guy in the dating world, I receive plenty of advice and comments from women, both solicited and unsolicited, about what I should and should not be wearing. Jeans are not completely out, but they definitely are not the standard casual wear they used to be. I have cleaned out my closet and started over, and now have one pair of dark denim and one pair of black jeans. Both fit properly, which is the most important thing.

Loose, boxy jeans are definitely sending the same message as cotton sweats: you've given up caring. At this age, some of you have earned that, so do what you like.

Since I'm an older guy in the dating world, I receive plenty of advice and comments from women, both solicited and unsolicited, about what I should and should not be wearing. Jeans are not completely out, but they definitely are not the standard casual wear they used to be. I have cleaned out my closet and started over, and now have one pair of dark denim and one pair of black jeans. Both fit properly, which is the most important thing.

Loose, boxy jeans are definitely sending the same message as cotton sweats: you've given up caring. At this age, some of you have earned that, so do what you like.

I hope I never have to start dating again, but I'd love to hear more on this.

What's the game plan now overall for dressing for where you currently are?

I hope I never have to start dating again, but I'd love to hear more on this.

What's the game plan now overall for dressing for where you currently are?
It's 41 degrees and raining here in the PNW, so there are some functionality issues, but generally if I was going to go out to dinner it would be something like the Jack Archer pants you mentioned, but tapered (I prefer the BYLT everyday pant, but basically the same). Paired with a solid color fitted T-shirt (straight hem--I've been told rounded hems are for fat dudes trying to hide their guts) and either an overshirt or an unconstructed jacket depending on how dressy the occasion. Summertime I'd ditch the overshirt, but may wear a jacket someplace nice. Again, the main thing is that everything fits right. Nothing baggy or oversize. Shoes are also dependent on weather and the occasion.

I'd wear jeans to a bar to meet for drinks, or to something like a baseball game.

Sweatpants are way way more acceptable than I ever thought they would be. Again, need to fit properly and jogger style but the kids have replaced jeans with sweats as their just standard out and about wear. It’s weird to me still.

Sweatpants are way way more acceptable than I ever thought they would be. Again, need to fit properly and jogger style but the kids have replaced jeans with sweats as their just standard out and about wear. It’s weird to me still.
Joggers aren't really the same as the sweats we grew up with. Combination of Covid and brands like Vuori and Mack Weldon have changed the whole jogger thing. I work from home and wear joggers all day, whether it's to the gym or grocery store. I only wear nicer clothes if I'm going out somewhere. Again, I'm in the Northwest. If I was in SoCal still it would be shorts and flip flops every day.

My daughter is 19. She wore pajamas to high school. She and most of her friends get their clothes from thrift stores and foreign websites so they don't look like they bought their clothes at a chain store.

Joggers aren't really the same as the sweats we grew up with. Combination of Covid and brands like Vuori and Mack Weldon have changed the whole jogger thing. I work from home and wear joggers all day, whether it's to the gym or grocery store. I only wear nicer clothes if I'm going out somewhere. Again, I'm in the Northwest. If I was in SoCal still it would be shorts and flip flops every day.

My daughter is 19. She wore pajamas to high school. She and most of her friends get their clothes from thrift stores and foreign websites so they don't look like they bought their clothes at a chain store.
Joggers is the cut though- the elasitic fitted ankle as opposed to the open floppy ankle. It tapers. Joggers can be made of any material. Most kids aren't wearing Vuori, they are wearing sweatpants material with a jogger cut. I personally wear both but unlike the kids, would never dream of wearing essentially sweatpants out to a decent dinner.

Joggers is the cut though. Joggers can be made of any material. Most kids aren't wearing Vuori, they are wearing sweatpants material with a jogger cut.
Most kids around here wear pajama bottoms. I don't see kids in joggers, but they've definitely taken over with adults. Probably a regional thing.

That's all I see the youth wearing nowadays (18-25 ish). The cycle of fashion is quite amusing.

Joggers is the cut though. Joggers can be made of any material. Most kids aren't wearing Vuori, they are wearing sweatpants material with a jogger cut.
Most kids around here wear pajama bottoms. I don't see kids in joggers, but they've definitely taken over with adults. Probably a regional thing.
Oh for sure, lots of pajama pants, when I say kids I mean like teens. They wear a lot of pajama pants but also tons of tapered sweatpants with an elastic foothole- I consider that a jogger still. Maybe you don't?

That's all I see the youth wearing nowadays (18-25 ish). The cycle of fashion is quite amusing.
Yes, the trendy kids are getting into that for sure, the flared pants for girls even had a recent run. So did the high waisted thing. It's all cyclical.

Yes, the trendy kids are getting into that for sure, the flared pants for girls even had a recent run. So did the high waisted thing. It's all cyclical.

If those JNCO jeans make a comeback, I might neck 🤦‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread