What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Exploit/Avoid Week 1...You drafted Studs, the real challenge is the RB2/WR3/Flex spots for most folks (1 Viewer)

I'm starting Edmond in my Flex (W/R/T) over James Cook, Cole Kmet, Joshua Palmer and George Pickens. I expect most weeks it will be a debate but out of the gate I'll start the guy I drafted as my RB3.

I have a couple of tough calls. AJ Dillon vs Stevenson vs Pollard in one league, Gabe Davis vs Brandon Aiyuk in another.

Those are close but since you draft AJ and Gabe first just play them.

Redraft especially, barring injury. I start players in the order I drafted them.

IMO week 1 should be everyone’s easiest lineup calls.

Listen to this guy.

Week 1 I don’t mess around. I start my best players regardless of matchup.

Redraft especially, barring injury. I start players in the order I drafted them.

I have a couple of tough calls. AJ Dillon vs Stevenson vs Pollard in one league, Gabe Davis vs Brandon Aiyuk in another.

Listen to this guy.

What if we expand this just a bit into those little $3 and $5 tickets people like to play for 1 week only on Sundays? There's a common name for them ;)

I agree in general but after the QB, RB1, WR1/WR2...we're talking once you get past the guys in the first 5-6 rounds of your drafts. Also those flex positions can be critical in redraft and i don't always go by draft order in my line up.

I drafted Watson Rd 13 but if I thought he was in line for a bunch of targets I might scoot him into my Flex spot...probably not but I might.
I like a deep bench with options but we have many others that seem to enjoy setting it and forgetting it Week 1, sort of the Ron Popeil style...you two will make adjustments as needed but I see folks that set their line ups based on the draft order and won't move it much the first 3-4-5 weeks of the season and that can be a mistake.

My Flex right now is Christian Kirk but I could also go Chase Edmonds, and that's if I can accept the health status of Mitchell prior to kick off, otherwise I might have to put Chase out there as my RB2. Other potential options include Elijah Moore, yes I have 2 players named Elijah on my team, I look for names inspired by the Bible, we have a Christian Watson on this team too I might remind you.

I think Kirk and Chase might be safer than Moore Week 1 and I might even have to play both.

Excellent discussion thread MoP... Love the open free lance style point / counter-point.

My 2x:2cents: --> Kirk (8th round) and Chark (11-12th round) are both later picks who have little serious discussion and both are capable of Top 10 for early season production. This is until opposing DC's see more from their OC Schemes and play routes. Both are likely to get serious target volume while the offenses get their footings.
Kirk - other than Week 2 vs Indy, should have a nice 4 week flex value.
Chark - not sure if NEP Def is the same concern for WR value.

Excellent discussion thread MoP... Love the open free lance style point / counter-point.

My 2x:2cents: --> Kirk (8th round) and Chark (11-12th round) are both later picks who have little serious discussion and both are capable of Top 10 for early season production. This is until opposing DC's see more from their OC Schemes and play routes. Both are likely to get serious target volume while the offenses get their footings.
Kirk - other than Week 2 vs Indy, should have a nice 4 week flex value.
Chark - not sure if NEP Def is the same concern for WR value.
Chark is in Detroit...they play Week 5 @NE, got'cha. I like Chark as well early in the season and he has a month at least before Williams is integrated into the Offense, should start out as a weekly Top 36 let's say in a 12 team Must start 3WRs, add a flex spot and we slide into the 42-48 range so yes i like them both.

I don't know what to make of Kirk either but I have Slot WR thread you might enjoy. I am starting to zero in on the better more prolific SWR spots.

JuJu for example should clean up taking over that role in KC, looking back I should have tried to get him a little more often.

I like the open exchange as well, I hope folks continue to provide their own thoughts on their teams and I bet most will get the type of feedback and guidance they're looking for without a blatant WDIS since we have a coach's forum.

I like to look at the Vegas Odds when i am looking at potential players I might start both Redraft and a potential Sunday Daily

New Orleans at Atlanta (Opened at +3, now +5.5) (52o/u)

-The mood here is the Saints are going to roll. Not sure why exactly the bettors feel this way because I don't have a ton of faith in Winston. There's talent in New Orleans and their Defense isn't bad. Not sure how they were able to get under the cap and still be a force but Atlanta offers nothing IMO and is a likely preseason candidate for double digit losses and a potential high pick in next year's draft. They traded a franchise QB or one that has had the position for a long time and there wasn't a big good-bye either, sorta sad how the team has been dismantled in the last couple seasons.

-One of the Falcons' issues last year was not g5rabbing the lead but maintaining it. I don't see the Defense bailing out their season. What does this mean? Atlanta won't be able to run the ball a lot in the 2nd Half, especially in a game where they are underdogs at home by almost a full TD heading into Week 1 vs a team that also saw their HoF QB retire last year.

-On the flip side I think we see a lot of highlights for the Saints and Kamara should have a big big day.

Final Score: New Orleans 34...Atlanta 17, has that feel to it

San Fran at Chicago (+7) (42o/u)

-Niners are considered big favs on the road and they also don't see this as a high scoring football game. Those expecting Trey Lance to come out and start throwing lasers all over Soldier Field might be in for a slight surprise. What if the Niners do get a lead, something along the lines of 20-3, 23-10...are they going to air it out a lot? I see their ground game taking charge however you decide to slice it up amongst Elijah-Deebo and likely Jeff Wilson will see some action especially in the 2nd Half of this game if things hold well for the Niners.

-For Chicago, how good is Monty going to produce in Week 1? I know folks will start him anyways but how many games last year was he really a difference maker at RB for you?
-I don't particular like either QB as a strong play this weekend.
-Chicago Defense was not good last year and they gave up quite a few passing TD with 31.

Final Score: San Fran 24...Chicago 16...the Bears are not expected to score more than perhaps 1 maybe 2 TDs, a shootout is highly unlikely here.

And I will try and cover some of this but knowing about the final score and roughly what it takes to hit those numbers because Vegas gets it right a lot, helps in tempering expectations and also allows you to counter by perhaps rolling the dice on a higher ceiling in your Flex vs taking the safer route with the higher floor guy.

Lazard Doubtful is the current word

Would like the health status of both rookies and would like to see who gets the 1st team reps this week.
[archer] Phrasing [/archer]. not doubtful, unkown. yes yes, i'm looking at this with rose colored glasses and following this very closely for my needs. he was seen running on the sidelines yesterday Monday (meaning not part of the full practice) and Matt was "non-commital" on his status for week 1 even though he confirmed Watson will be available. actual report:
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein
@TomSilverstein

LaFleur said that he's hopeful rookie WR Christian Watson will play Sunday. He was non-committal with WR Allen Lazard, who was sidelined last week for undisclosed reasons.

Lazard Doubtful is the current word

Would like the health status of both rookies and would like to see who gets the 1st team reps this week.
[archer] Phrasing [/archer]. not doubtful, unkown. yes yes, i'm looking at this with rose colored glasses and following this very closely for my needs. he was seen running on the sidelines yesterday Monday (meaning not part of the full practice) and Matt was "non-commital" on his status for week 1 even though he confirmed Watson will be available. actual report:
https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein
@TomSilverstein

LaFleur said that he's hopeful rookie WR Christian Watson will play Sunday. He was non-committal with WR Allen Lazard, who was sidelined last week for undisclosed reasons.
Good points, we need to hear more about Lazard on Wed/Thur/Fri...

Listen to this guy.
LOL but I personally don't think it's that straightforward. A lot of things go into making a pick, particularly in the middle rounds. Sometimes you value GuyA and GuyB similarly but the consensus (ADP) says GuyB is very likely getting drafted before GuyA so you roll the dice and wait on GuyA. Or you may have need at a position that you think will deplete much faster before your next pick than at another position where you have a more highly rated player, with the dropoff negating the advantage of taking the higher ranked player first.

Drafted starters should definitely be starting this week, but when you get into the flex spots it is a little more unclear IMO.

Here are the flex / backups that I will be ruminating to start or sit this week. I own most of them on more than one team:

Damien Harris
Melvin Gordon
James Robinson
James Cook

Tony Pollard
Kareem Hunt
Kadarius Toney
Nico Collins
Rondale Moore

Elijah Moore
George Pickens*
I would have a very difficult time starting any of the bolded guys this week. No problem rolling out the others.

*Maybe Pickens if Dionte Johnson is ruled out, which I doubt.

Listen to this guy.
LOL but I personally don't think it's that straightforward. A lot of things go into making a pick, particularly in the middle rounds. Sometimes you value GuyA and GuyB similarly but the consensus (ADP) says GuyB is very likely getting drafted before GuyA so you roll the dice and wait on GuyA. Or you may have need at a position that you think will deplete much faster before your next pick than at another position where you have a more highly rated player, with the dropoff negating the advantage of taking the higher ranked player first.

Drafted starters should definitely be starting this week, but when you get into the flex spots it is a little more unclear IMO.

It goes without saying context matters, there are exceptions.

In this instance

AJ Dillon vs Stevenson vs Pollard in one league, Gabe Davis vs Brandon Aiyuk in another

The first two drafted also happen to have the highest consensus projections this week. In any format.

No need to overly complicate lineup decisions.

Philly Air Raid in theory should be explosive Week 1 however Detroit is much improved and I think they will show some of that immediately this week. Philly might win the game but I think it's a lot closer than some might believe.
I'm not making any assumptions about what's going to happen in that game. Over the years the Eagles have lost a few games to the Lions that they had no business losing.

Emotion and motivation and positivity are all great, but it has to translate to the field. Right now I’m not sure it does for Detroit, especially defensively. Unless Harris and Hutchinson and Rodriguez play out if their minds, gonna be tough to stop the Eagles.

Will be a fun crowd. Detroit hasn’t had a SRO sellout in five years. Fans are amped up for this team.

The first two drafted also happen to have the highest consensus projections this week. In any format.

That was where I was going with that yeah.

Week 1 redraft, if health isn’t a concern start your studs, matchup be dammed.

If there’s an injury or BYE & I have to decide between Stevenson vs Pollard it’s gonna be a lot harder.

For now, the team I drafted’s gonna hunt. unleash the hounds! :pickle:

It goes without saying context matters, there are exceptions.

In this instance

AJ Dillon vs Stevenson vs Pollard in one league, Gabe Davis vs Brandon Aiyuk in another

Absolutely.

Since someone mentioned it here is a standard PPR zero RB situation in my home league along with who I am starting. Clearly not a brag post with Dillon as my RB1. Might help others with similar close calls. FBG lineup dominator is the best resource and differs from my selections. Won’t post what that recommends

Have 2 RB slots and a flex to fill. My order…

Dillon
Hunt
Flex Godwin

Bench
Stevenson
Toney
Cook Buffalo brother
Watkins

Considering sitting Zeke (5th round pick) - already have Dalvin Cook and Antonio Gibson starting.

Flex considerations are Elijah Moore, DaVonta Smith, Brandin Cooks - leaning toward Cooks here.

Also, really high on every AFC West matchup... I think they're all shootouts.

WR 78 Sammy Watkins-Green Bay

Randal Cobb is always getting hyped, Rodgers wanted him back and he was going to help the offense a lot. 28/375/5TDs a year ago, he's not a real option, more like a spare part.
Lazard could also miss the game and that would put some immediate pressure on the Rookie WR pair to perform quicker than many thought.

You are left withy Watkins who I'm not a fan of because he can never finish a game or string along several good games so even when he decides to go off you never know it's coming...this week might be different. Rodgers gives me pause.

Sammy Watkins stats are even worse the last couple seasons but somebody has to run routes over there.

He's an interesting DFS play if nothing else.
Been fooled too many times by Sammy Watkins, and now with Rodgers and Lazard hurting... Nope not going there lol. I just signed up again today MoP. I thought I was out this year. Back in and looking forward to following, except for those SF RB's and now NE and Stephenson. Here we go again...

Considering sitting Zeke (5th round pick) - already have Dalvin Cook and Antonio Gibson starting.

Flex considerations are Elijah Moore, DaVonta Smith, Brandin Cooks - leaning toward Cooks here.

Agree on Cooks only because of uncertainty at those other two spots.

Moore-we don't know exactly the QB situation and who Flacco will lean on. Corey Davis still on this team? might lead them all Week 1.
Slim Reaper stock in redraft is way down right now. Most are pumping AJBrown, maybe both of them will showcase themselves this season. And you have Hurts to consider, not an elite QB or pocket passer.

Love the AFC West match ups any week, in fact they should make sure at least 2 of them are playing each other every week on the schedule.

Henderson or sanders?
With Sermon brought in and Gainwell also looking better and better, Sanders might be in an RBBC to start the season, not sure if he is 100% and he looks frustrated in interviews, zero interest in fantasy football, just saying.

-I had Henderson highlighted...but on the other hand
What is the likelihood the Rams will be able to pound the ball all night on Buffalo and run the clock out?

Tough call here

RB18-Travis Etienne, in 12 team leagues he is firmly drafted as a starting RB2...well now you gotta actually wheel him out and he has no track record, this is almost like starting a rookie blind and I personally would not want to be in this specific situation going into Week 1 but maybe some of you feel very different.
🤷‍♂️

What say you?

I got Pierce/Etienne and James Cook. Grabbed Brian Robinson late as a stash for late season. Dalvin Cook is the rB1 With Hill Renfrow and Keenan Allen as my Starters and flex I just need an RB2

RB18-Travis Etienne, in 12 team leagues he is firmly drafted as a starting RB2...well now you gotta actually wheel him out and he has no track record, this is almost like starting a rookie blind and I personally would not want to be in this specific situation going into Week 1 but maybe some of you feel very different.
🤷‍♂️

What say you?
If you play in a redraft and ETN is not in your starting lineup, you are insane! Unless you drafted RB, RB, RB, RB, he is a weekly starter for you. I fully understand having to decide in a keeper or dynasty, but in a standard redraft, what is the latest possible round he would've fallen to?

I kept him in my Keeper league where we keep 6. Other then Dalvin Cook my options weren't great outside of Rhamodre Stevenson and I don't think he gets a huge workload unless Harris gets hurt. plus I was burned by both Harris and Stevenson in 2 different leagues having them last year do to how BB does his thing. I did ride RS those few games though

Agree on Cooks only because of uncertainty at those other two spots.

Moore-we don't know exactly the QB situation and who Flacco will lean on. Corey Davis still on this team? might lead them all Week 1.
Slim Reaper stock in redraft is way down right now. Most are pumping AJBrown, maybe both of them will showcase themselves this season. And you have Hurts to consider, not an elite QB or pocket passer.

Love the AFC West match ups any week, in fact they should make sure at least 2 of them are playing each other every week on the schedule.

I think Smith is a patient buy for managers. He's great for a dynasty keeper league IMHO. Take the inconsistency at QB possible this year and hope the Eagles get one of the guys next year?

Henderson or sanders?
With Sermon brought in and Gainwell also looking better and better, Sanders might be in an RBBC to start the season, not sure if he is 100% and he looks frustrated in interviews, zero interest in fantasy football, just saying.

What is the likelihood the Rams will be able to pound the ball all night on Buffalo and run the clock out?

Tough call here

I wouldn't touch Sanders in Fantasy at all. His body language I don't like in interviews and he seems to be there just to be there. He's in a contract season and I could see Gainwell taking touches from him They Got Sermon plus LamIcheal Perine and Kennedy Brooks on the PS.

Henderson or sanders?

Tough call here

I wouldn't touch Sanders in Fantasy at all. His body language I don't like in interviews and he seems to be there just to be there. He's in a contract season and I could see Gainwell taking touches from him They Got Sermon plus LamIcheal Perine and Kennedy Brooks on the PS.

OK Henderson or stevenson lol

Henderson or sanders?

Tough call here

It doesn't typically happen often but it's quite possible the Phins blow out the Patriots in the heat down here...Coach BB brought the boys in South Beach 5 days early, I'll be surprised if no one gets arrested before kickoff. I don't see Stevenson as a big factor this weekend but my rose colored glasses being a Phinsfan might skew the view here.

Miami has gone 19-15 last 2 seasons, 10 and 9 win seasons and they added All Pro/Pro Bowl-Tyreek Hill and All Pro/Pro Bowl LT-Armstead, added Connor Williams at Center, added Cedric Wilson as the SWR, added Chase Edmonds, added Raheem Mostert, brought in the "Running Game Coordinator and OL Coach from LAC to be their OC behind WizKid Mike McDaniel...oh and they brought back ALL 11 Starters on Defense plus the Nickel/Dime packages plus the DC was retained...if they don't manhandle some inferior teams along the way I'll be shocked.

Miami hasn't looked this good since Ronald Reagan was in office...

Now how much is Henderson really going to touch the ball? I don't know if there is a clear right answer here.

Henderson or sanders?

Tough call here

It doesn't typically happen often but it's quite possible the Phins blow out the Patriots in the heat down here...Coach BB brought the boys in South Beach 5 days early, I'll be surprised if no one gets arrested before kickoff. I don't see Stevenson as a big factor this weekend but my rose colored glasses being a Phinsfan might skew the view here.

Miami has gone 19-15 last 2 seasons, 10 and 9 win seasons and they added All Pro/Pro Bowl-Tyreek Hill and All Pro/Pro Bowl LT-Armstead, added Connor Williams at Center, added Cedric Wilson as the SWR, added Chase Edmonds, added Raheem Mostert, brought in the "Running Game Coordinator and OL Coach from LAC to be their OC behind WizKid Mike McDaniel...oh and they brought back ALL 11 Starters on Defense plus the Nickel/Dime packages plus the DC was retained...if they don't manhandle some inferior teams along the way I'll be shocked.

Now how much is Henderson really going to touch the ball? I don't know if there is a clear right answer here.

So … you’re liking the Miami DST this week, eh? I think Flores was so sharp as a coordinator and defensive mind. I just wonder what the loss of his game planning does to that D.

Honestly, defense early is the most confounding thing for me. I could make arguments for a bunch of units, but eventually have to roll someone out there.

Miami vs New England
Philly @ Detroit
Cleveland @ Carolina
Carolina vs. Cleveland
Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh

Almost all my leagues don’t give much weight to scoring D and don’t have any yardage components. One league has minor additions for return yardage, but nothing significant. It’s all about HAVOC - sacks, TOs, etc.

What’s up with Chase Edmonds?

Wasn’t really planning on James Cook Week 1

Cook or Herbert or Kmet or Pickens or Palmer

So…Cook, right?

Henderson or sanders?

Tough call here

So … you’re liking the Miami DST this week, eh? I think Flores was so sharp as a coordinator and defensive mind. I just wonder what the loss of his game planning does to that D.

Honestly, defense early is the most confounding thing for me. I could make arguments for a bunch of units, but eventually have to roll someone out there.

Miami vs New England
Philly @ Detroit
Cleveland @ Carolina
Carolina vs. Cleveland
Cincinnati vs. Pittsburgh

Almost all my leagues don’t give much weight to scoring D and don’t have any yardage components. One league has minor additions for return yardage, but nothing significant. It’s all about HAVOC - sacks, TOs, etc.
I think Carolina is a decent play week 1, sneaky Top 10 possibly.

Pats have their work cut out opening Week in the humidity and heat of South Florida

Thoughts on flexing on Mostert with Edmonds gimpy? Drafted studs and duds heavy so was gonna be running him out anyways but with the Edmonds news does he become a strong start instead of iffy ?

So…Cook, right?
All of Miami's 53 took part in practice today. 11 of them were limited and almost ALL of the Miami RBs were in that boat today, think only Mostert was not limited out of the 4...
Mostert is a pretty good sneaky sleeper Week 1 for those who like Sunday Morning lottery tickets.

Thoughts on flexing on Mostert with Edmonds gimpy? Drafted studs and duds heavy so was gonna be running him out anyways but with the Edmonds news does he become a strong start instead of iffy ?

It's possible they're just managing a minor injury. He was fine all camp and preseason. Last year D'Andre Swift started the year with a Q tag / limited participation for the first six weeks [with a groin injury], but never saw a significant drop in snaps or touches.

Irrespective of Edmonds' availability, Raheem is just a what the heck flex on any given week. He's a home run hitter who doesn't play passing downs, former track star who does one thing and one thing only really well: one cut and go. You're not catching him if he gets through the second level.

He's only had a handful of games in his career with more than 15 touches, and he's missed 54 out of 113 games. He's as good of a Flex as any other choice if you're picking amongst backups and FF WR4s.

Last edited:
WR #3 coming down to Chris Godwin (round 7), practicing fully - wow, or George Pickens (round 11) with Diontae Johnson questionable since my 5th WR will sit for the first 6 weeks - D Hop. Thought about trying AJ Green for the first 6 weeks over Pickens, but I'm holding for now unless you can enlighten me anymore MoP LOL.

So…Cook, right?
All of Miami's 53 took part in practice today. 11 of them were limited and almost ALL of the Miami RBs were in that boat today, think only Mostert was not limited out of the 4...
Mostert is a pretty good sneaky sleeper Week 1 for those who like Sunday Morning lottery tickets.
Not a good sign that Edmonds is gimpy already, but it’s just the first day of practice. If he’s full practice by Friday, I’d obviously feel better - although the risk of re-aggravation is always there.

One thing to mention about this new Miami coaching staff, they've been super cautious with people, have limited workloads in preseason and haven't been forthcoming about injuries.
Them having 4 RBs on the 53 leaves me wondering if we're gonna have to play the "who's active" game, which flat out stinks.

-Life long Dolphins fan still learning to read this staff's tea leaves.

( I'm in the wait and see with Edmonds myself and may end up having to play both Aaron Jones with AJ Dillon which is not ideal. )

I have a Michael Carter vs Brandon Aiyuk flex debate in multiple leagues. Both PPR.

In a third, quite deep dynasty, I’m considering KJ Osborn or Zack Moss for a final starting spot.

I’m leaning Aiyuk and Osborn.

Looking at Aiyuk, E. Moore, J. Jones, or K. Hunt for a flex spot with Aiyuk currently penciled in. Moore I don't fully trust yet with a potential backup QB in play and want to see how all of the target share plays out with the new pieces on that team. Jones could get a big piece of the available targets there with Evans and Godwin being the focus of the defense but want to see it play out.

I have a Michael Carter vs Brandon Aiyuk flex debate in multiple leagues. Both PPR.

In a third, quite deep dynasty, I’m considering KJ Osborn or Zack Moss for a final starting spot.

I’m leaning Aiyuk and Osborn.
I also have James Robinson in all three of these leagues, but that would be incredibly risky. Hats off to the guy for not even being on the injury report though.

I hope he’s a stud. Easy dude to root for.

Looking at Aiyuk, E. Moore, J. Jones, or K. Hunt for a flex spot with Aiyuk currently penciled in. Moore I don't fully trust yet with a potential backup QB in play and want to see how all of the target share plays out with the new pieces on that team. Jones could get a big piece of the available targets there with Evans and Godwin being the focus of the defense but want to see it play out.
Flacco's arm isn't what it used to be - he likes guys who are wide open. Moore is usually wide open. He performed arguably better with Flacco than Wilson. Easy Moore pick here imo

@BobbyLayne

I believe Chase Edmonds was a full participant in practice today if I read the blurbs this afternoon correctly. Looks like he should be a full go for Sunday, no idea what the groin issue is, hope it's just a smoke screen to keep him off the field during camp.

Moore was 8-141-1 td in Flacco's one start last year (against Miami) fwiw.

MoP - what's your take on the Arizona Cardinal football team? D Hop suspended 6 games and sitting on my bench. Godwin looks limited. Wondering with either AJ Green or R Moore are worth the play in any of these first 6 games vs a Pickens type. I'm looking for a 3rd WR.

MoP - what's your take on the Arizona Cardinal football team? D Hop suspended 6 games and sitting on my bench. Godwin looks limited. Wondering with either AJ Green or R Moore are worth the play in any of these first 6 games vs a Pickens type. I'm looking for a 3rd WR.
Seconding this question. AJ Green is sitting in free agency in my league. Would anyone start him over Mostert or Dotson? My reasoning for Mostert is I think the Pats offense will be terrible and gift the Fins with lots of 3 and outs, allowing them to run the ball a lot.

With Dotson he's suuposedly been Wentz' favorite camp target and gets to debut his blazing speed and reliable hands against the not so impressive Jags defense

Got to pick one of the following @ WR/TE flex... Gage, Doubs. A. Pierce, Likely... opp has Godwin and kickoff is too late to start Gage with confidence, otherwise the decision would have been easy.
Leaning towards Doubs atm with the Lizard situ (?) Any wisdom nuggets out there?

Users who are viewing this thread