What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

**Falcons at Saints** (-3, 42) 1:00 (1 Viewer)

Smith butthurt about Saints running up the score?
No. Saints went into the victory formation at the 4 yard line and handed it off for a touchdown
Dennis Allen called a kneeldown. The players overrode Allen to get Jamal Williams his first Saints rushing TD.

Last edited:
No. Saints went into the victory formation at the 4 yard line and handed it off for a touchdown
Dennis Allen called a kneeldown. The players overrode Allen to get Jamal Williams his first Saints rushing TD.

It was the low class punk Jameis Winston who called the play.

There you have it 🦀🦀

I’m not seeing that it was a one-man effort to override the kneeldown. RG Carlos Ruiz tweeted that if there’s heat coming down about that TD, put it on the linemen.

EDIT: Center Eric McCoy also weighed in similarly.

Last edited:
No issue with scoring the TD there, just think that using the victory formation was a mistake. The essence of that formation is surrender. Lame to use that formation IMO.

Good for them. Smith (as usual) is being a baby. Allen should have called the play anyway, and when he didn't the players rightfully did it anyway.

ETA: What a lame response from Allen too. Just lie, it sounds better, and makes it seem like you have your team's back, instead of what, trying to save face to Arthur Smith?

ETA: What a lame response from Allen too. Just lie, it sounds better, and makes it seem like you have your team's back, instead of what, trying to save face to Arthur Smith?

If they overrode him about a decision like that, I can totally see where he'd apologize. Sounds like he has no control over his team, which is a sign of weakness coaches usually don't want to show. It's not a good look for him.

"Just lie" is not an acceptable way to set the groundwork to enact discipline on your players. That's old school, but they'll run roughshod over you if they find out they can.

Really, you have to wonder about the Saints players.

They have tons of talent yet often seemed disengaged throughout the year. From the Carr/Olave dust-up to chirping and backbiting, this doesn't seem like a team that's all on the same page. That might just be me, but how they could utterly dominate certain teams and then go out and lay stinkers like they did is really surprising. Too much talent on that team to not execute plays and the like.

Good for them. Smith (as usual) is being a baby. Allen should have called the play anyway, and when he didn't the players rightfully did it anyway.

He did the right thing. His team just ignored his play, with no authority to do so. Jameis isn't Tom Brady, or Tom Tupa, for that matter. Who is he to make that decision?

He shouldn't have his team's back in this case. He should cut Jameis and show the team who runs the show. Imagine Belichick's players doing that. Then again, maybe he doesn't run the show and should resign.

Taking the knee was the right move. The game was over. Running up the score accomplishes nothing.

All is fair is it not? Greg Schiano rushed a victory formation a long time ago with the Bucs D. That’s worse imo.
I remember that play. At least Schiano could say he was trying to win the game (the Bucs were losing). In this case, the game was over and the Saints already won.

He did the right thing. His team just ignored his play, with no authority to do so. Jameis isn't Tom Brady, or Tom Tupa, for that matter. Who is he to make that decision?

He shouldn't have his team's back in this case. He should cut Jameis and show the team who runs the show. Imagine Belichick's players doing that. Then again, maybe he doesn't run the show and should resign.

Taking the knee was the right move. The game was over. Running up the score accomplishes nothing.
It got a beloved player a TD. A player who hadn't had one all season.

This isn't elementary school, Smith came off like a gigantic baby (like he always has) by screaming about it after the game. Maybe if he wasn't a crappy HC his team wouldn't have been in that position in the 1st place.

I don't think this was a Jameis Winston idea, from the sounds of it, everyone on the offense agreed. In which case, the HC should just do it. The Saints weren't playing next week, get Jamaal his TD.

Winston's contract is up - he's a FA. I think we all understand both sides and rational minds can disagree. From Jameis' perspective, he knows his time in NO is up, it's essentially his last play as a Saint, and he did what he thought was right for his teammate. His allegiance to his guys trumped his allegiance to Arthur Smith. :shrug:

Winston's contract is up - he's a FA. I think we all understand both sides and rational minds can disagree. From Jameis' perspective, he knows his time in NO is up, it's essentially his last play as a Saint, and he did what he thought was right for his teammate. His allegiance to his guys trumped his allegiance to Arthur Smith. :shrug:
I hope future coaches take that into consideration.

It got a beloved player a TD. A player who hadn't had one all season.

This isn't elementary school, Smith came off like a gigantic baby (like he always has) by screaming about it after the game. Maybe if he wasn't a crappy HC his team wouldn't have been in that position in the 1st place.

I don't think this was a Jameis Winston idea, from the sounds of it, everyone on the offense agreed. In which case, the HC should just do it. The Saints weren't playing next week, get Jamaal his TD.
This would make sense if NFL teams were a democracy. And you're right. This isn't elementary school. Assuming they're high school graduates, they should understand how to follow directions and do their jobs.

Shannon Sharpe is right imo.

Jimmy Graham:

"Get off (Winston's) back," Graham said in his post. "This man is the best teammate I’ve ever had. Loves this city, this game and embodies everything you can ask for in a leader. Was a rare situation and we all take responsibility. Nobody thought it would get blown out of proportion. Also f--- the falcons."

If you don't want them to score, don't let them, simple as that. Saints did nothing wrong. Make sure we give Arthur Smith a participation trophy for this year.

I don't have a problem with trying to score, but running that play from Victory formation was low class. At least let the other team know yeah, we are running a play, do your best to stop it.

Someone on Saintsreport wrote that Winston tipped off the Falcons of what they were going to do on the final play, and that Falcons DE Calais Campbell confirmed this. Supposed to be Twitter chatter about all this -- for what that's worth. Dude didn't even link to the tweets ... so ... yeah.

EDIT: Supposed to be in Reggie Chatman's tweets. I can't read past the original tweet ... anything in here?

I'm sure it will be, as this incident is unlikely to be forgotten by anyone in the NFL. But I don't think it will be seen negatively by future employers. Winston being all in for his teammates is a sign of strong leadership IMO.

I'm sure it will be, as this incident is unlikely to be forgotten by anyone in the NFL. But I don't think it will be seen negatively by future employers. Winston being all in for his teammates is a sign of strong leadership IMO.
Couldn't disagree more. If coaches can't trust you to do execute what they have planned, and you're susceptible to the popular vote of your fellow players, that isn't leadership. It's just following what your coworkers want, regardless of what management wants.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Nobody trusts him with an offense. He'll be a backup for the rest of his career imo.

Couldn't disagree more. If coaches can't trust you to do execute what they have planned, and you're susceptible to the popular vote of your fellow players, that isn't leadership. It's just following what your coworkers want, regardless of what management wants.

Honestly, it doesn't matter. Nobody trusts him with an offense. He'll be a backup for the rest of his career imo.
You're aware that QB's call audibles all of the time?

You're aware that QB's call audibles all of the time?
QBs who are allowed to audible call audibles, and they're designed to react to what the defense is showing you. I've never seen it from the victory formation. QBs who are instructed what play to run...run the plays they're told to run.

Winston was told what to run and decided on a choose-your-own-adventure in the huddle. Doesn't sound like leadership to me. Sounds like he wants to be popular. I don't think that's the primary concern of a leader.

What was the big deal in even getting Williams the TD? Was there some type of financial incentive in play? If not, what was the point? I’m sure Williams was so proud of the most BS TD of his career.

Users who are viewing this thread