What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Falcons fans - Who do you want your team to select (1 Viewer)

?

• Select QB Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick no matter who's available

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If Jake Long is available, pick him

• If Chris Long is available, pick him

• Trade down and hope Matt Ryan is available later

• Only If both Longs are off the board, pick Ryan

• Draft other (explain)

• Total voters

Jeff Haseley

Falcons fans - are you leaning towards the selection of QB Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick to come in an be an automatic organization mainstay? Perhaps Jake Long so he can open up big holes for newly acquired Michael Turner? Without Wayne Gandy, someone is going to have to occupy that role. What about a DE like Chris Long that will more than replace the hole left by Patrick Kerney's departure? Is trading down a distinct possibility? What are your thoughts?

Jeff Haseley said:
Falcons fans - are you leaning towards the selection of QB Matt Ryan with the 3rd pick to come in an be an automatic organization mainstay? Perhaps Jake Long so he can open up big holes for newly acquired Michael Turner? Without Wayne Gandy, someone is going to have to occupy that role. What about a DE like Chris Long that will more than replace the hole left by Patrick Kerney's departure? Is trading down a distinct possibility? What are your thoughts?
I personally want Jake Long. If he's not available, my second pick would be Ellis or Dorsey. I'm just not convinced Matt Ryan is worth taking a 3rd overall chance on, and think one of those three would be the safer long-term choice. I believe that with a solid o and d line, our existing set of QBs is good enough to keep us competitive until we find the right guy for the future.

This could be a small poll. There may not be a lot of Falcons fans left. :thumbup:

As a non-Falcons fan, I think there's a better than 50-50 chance they sit tight at #3 and take Ryan regardless who is taken at #1 and #2.

Im not a falcon fan so i dont really care who they take. Im not sold on Ryan at all. Just because he's the highest rated QB in this draft does not mean he should go that early.

Im not a falcon fan so i dont really care who they take. Im not sold on Ryan at all. Just because he's the highest rated QB in this draft does not mean he should go that early.
Excellent point - I tend to agree with you. There is good depth to the QB position in this draft. Even if they just waited one round before selecting their QB, they'll still likely have everyone available except Ryan. And if Baltimore does the same thing, it could get very interesting in the green room yet again for QBs. The decision that Atlanta makes will also be a big determining factor on what the Chiefs will decide to do. If Atlanta takes anyone but Jake Long, there's no way Long will get past Kansas City. If someone takes Jake Long before Kansas City, the Chiefs will probably take Ryan Clady and thus the OT run begins. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that 3rd pick.

Excellent point - I tend to agree with you. There is good depth to the QB position in this draft. Even if they just waited one round before selecting their QB, they'll still likely have everyone available except Ryan. And if Baltimore does the same thing, it could get very interesting in the green room yet again for QBs.
I'd rather have Long/Brohm as opposed to Ryan and whoever else they get in rd2.

I'm really hoping that the Falcons don't take Ryan in the first round. I'm hoping that they take Jake Long in the first, and then pick up a QB with one of their second round picks.

I'm not entirely sold yet on Ryan's skill set as a top 3 pick, but I have a feeling that the Falcons brass might view Ryan as the centerpiece of a much-needed public relations makeover after the Vick scandal. It would be interesting to know how much PR considerations of finding a new face of the franchise in the post-Vick era will play in the Falcons' scouting process.

I'm really hoping that the Falcons don't take Ryan in the first round. I'm hoping that they take Jake Long in the first, and then pick up a QB with one of their second round picks.

I'm not entirely sold yet on Ryan's skill set as a top 3 pick, but I have a feeling that the Falcons brass might view Ryan as the centerpiece of a much-needed public relations makeover after the Vick scandal. It would be interesting to know how much PR considerations of finding a new face of the franchise in the post-Vick era will play in the Falcons' scouting process.
I don't really see him as a top 5 pick, and honestly could see him falling out of the top 10. Really, if you were to stack up Ryan against Brady Quinn, I'm not sure Ryan is that much better of a prospect.As for Atlanta, I see them going with either long if they're available, and if not, possibly d-line or trade down.

I'm really hoping that the Falcons don't take Ryan in the first round. I'm hoping that they take Jake Long in the first, and then pick up a QB with one of their second round picks. I'm not entirely sold yet on Ryan's skill set as a top 3 pick, but I have a feeling that the Falcons brass might view Ryan as the centerpiece of a much-needed public relations makeover after the Vick scandal. It would be interesting to know how much PR considerations of finding a new face of the franchise in the post-Vick era will play in the Falcons' scouting process.
Might as well set up a poll at the Falcons homepage to see what the fans want. Winner is the pick. Horrible way to run a franchise.

I really like the position Atl is in for day one of the draft. They are one of the few teams who can walk away with an elite prospect in the trenches (Long/Long/Ellis - I don't place Dorsey there) and fill a giant position of need in the 2nd (QB - Henne/Brohm) with BPA. I'm not certain that Brohm will be there in the 2nd for Atl, but I'm pretty confident that Henne will.

Hopefully it is Jake Long. There was some talk in the news that the Falcons would re-sign Harrington sometime this week. If that happens, they will have 3 QBs on the roster, so it doesn't make much sense to go after a QB at the 3rd pick.

To answer the question I hope they take jake long. All of their offseason moves have been geared to establishing the run game and relying on the defense.

It seems to me the ppl who say/think atlanta will go with ryan are ppl who live outside the state of georgia. The fact is chris redman produced late in the year so I would say the "need" for a qb has been greatly exaggerated. Also like an above poster said, just because ryan is the top rated qb in the draft doesn't mean he's worthy of the #3 pick

To answer the question I hope they take jake long. All of their offseason moves have been geared to establishing the run game and relying on the defense.It seems to me the ppl who say/think atlanta will go with ryan are ppl who live outside the state of georgia. The fact is chris redman produced late in the year so I would say the "need" for a qb has been greatly exaggerated. Also like an above poster said, just because ryan is the top rated qb in the draft doesn't mean he's worthy of the #3 pick
I was just listening to a report on the QBs in this draft and the person commenting said that Ryan ranks on par with Roethlisberger, E. Manning and Rivers. If that is the case then he is worth the 3rd overall pick.

To answer the question I hope they take jake long. All of their offseason moves have been geared to establishing the run game and relying on the defense.It seems to me the ppl who say/think atlanta will go with ryan are ppl who live outside the state of georgia. The fact is chris redman produced late in the year so I would say the "need" for a qb has been greatly exaggerated. Also like an above poster said, just because ryan is the top rated qb in the draft doesn't mean he's worthy of the #3 pick
I was just listening to a report on the QBs in this draft and the person commenting said that Ryan ranks on par with Roethlisberger, E. Manning and Rivers. If that is the case then he is worth the 3rd overall pick.
And, there's the rub. Not everyone equates him to those established QBs. I don't know one way or the other, I don't watch enough college ball to say one QB is better than another, I just believe that an interior lineman has less "bustability" than a QB who is stirring up quite a bit of debate on his ability to be a franchise QB.

And, there's the rub. Not everyone equates him to those established QBs. I don't know one way or the other, I don't watch enough college ball to say one QB is better than another, I just believe that an interior lineman has less "bustability" than a QB who is stirring up quite a bit of debate on his ability to be a franchise QB.
I only saw a few of BC's games but personally I wasn't impressed enough by him to think of him as the must - have, franchise qb that he's being touted as. Overall he seemed more like a qb you want to not lose the game for you rather than a qb who will win games for you. Yes he won the first game versus virginia tech and played wonderfully for the last couple of minutes was pretty mediocre until then. That said I wouldn't mind the falcons taking him in the second or even late in the first but definitely not at 1:3 and not at the expense of passing up one of the longs or dorsey

Last edited by a moderator:
I only saw a few of BC's games but personally I wasn't that impressed by him. Overall he seemed more like a qb you want to not lose the game for you rather than a qb who will win games for you. Yes he won the first game versus virginia tech and played wonderfully for the last couple of minutes was pretty mediocre until then. That said I wouldn't mind the falcons taking him in the second or even late in the first but definitely not at 1:3 and not at the expense of passing up one of the longs or dorsey
I watched some BC games and had to totally opposite impression. I felt that Ryan was in reality the ONLY reason BC won half their games. BC just was not a very talented football team. He had by far the worst supporting caste of any of the top QB prospects.

I watched some BC games and had to totally opposite impression. I felt that Ryan was in reality the ONLY reason BC won half their games. BC just was not a very talented football team. He had by far the worst supporting caste of any of the top QB prospects.
Unfortunately you quoted my post before I was able to edit it. I will agree that bc had mediocre' wrs and I have no problem if the falcons were to draft ryan...but it would have to be in the late first or with their second round pick. I just can't see him worthy enough to spend a high draft pick on especially over both of the longs and glenn dorsey. I mean look at guys like tom brady, tony romo and drew brees...none was a first round pick.

Sigmund Bloom thinks he's a franchise QB, and, "rates as high as any Qb to come down the pike in years" and so do I

Unfortunately you quoted my post before I was able to edit it. I will agree that bc had mediocre' wrs and I have no problem if the falcons were to draft ryan...but it would have to be in the late first or with their second round pick. I just can't see him worthy enough to spend a high draft pick on especially over both of the longs and glenn dorsey. I mean look at guys like tom brady, tony romo and drew brees...none was a first round pick.
This is cherry picking. For instance- here are all the guys drafted in the fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh rounds of the draft since 2000:Chris Weinke

David Garrard

Seneca Wallace

Luke McCown

Kyle Orton

S. Rosenfels

Rohan Davey

Stefan LeFors

Jesse Palmer

Tee Martin

Mike McMahon

Randy Fasani

Brian St. Pierre

Craig Krenzel

Dan Orlovsky

Ingle Martin

A.J. Feeley

Kurt Kittner

A. McPherson

Omar Jacobs

Brandon Doman

Craig Nall

Marc Bulger

Josh Booty

"J.T." O'Sullivan

Drew Henson

Andy Hall

Derek Anderson

Reggie McNeal

Spergon Wynn

Josh Heupel

Steve Bellisari

Brooks Bollinger

Josh Harris

Bruce Gradowski

Tom Brady

Kliff Kingsbury

Jim Sorgi

Todd Husak

Jeff Smoker

JaJuan Seider

Tim Rattay

Seth Burford

Gibran Hamdan

John Navarre

James Kilian

D.J. Shockley

Jarious Jackson

Jeff Kelly

Ken Dorsey

Cody Pickett

Matt Cassell

Joe Hamilton

Ronald Curry

Casey Bramlet

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Wes Pate

Matt Mauck

B.J. Symons

Bradlee Van Pelt

The hit rate is less than 10% for NFL full time starter.

Here is the list of QB's taken in the first round during that time:

C. Pennington

Michael Vick

David Carr

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Vince Young

Joey Harrington

Byron Leftwich

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Leinart

Patrick Ramsey

Kyle Boller

B. Roethlisberger

Jason Campbell

Jay Cutler

Rex Grossman

J.P. Losman

If you narrow that down to top 15 picks, you will find an even higher hit rates.

As a non-bias outside if they take anything other than a lineman their new front office needs their head examined. I think Ryan could be successful in the NFL, but not on that team.

rabidfireweasel said:
FTRWRTR said:
jurb26 said:
This is cherry picking. For instance- here are all the guys drafted in the fourth, fifth, sixth or seventh rounds of the draft since 2000:Chris Weinke

David Garrard

Seneca Wallace

<...snip....>

Bradlee Van Pelt

C. Pennington

Michael Vick

David Carr

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Vince Young

Joey Harrington

Byron Leftwich

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Leinart

Patrick Ramsey

Kyle Boller

B. Roethlisberger

Jason Campbell

Jay Cutler

Rex Grossman

J.P. Losman

If you narrow that down to top 15 picks, you will find an even higher hit rates.
Good stuff. The 1st round misses are often so spectacularly bad, it offsets the hits in your head.

David Garrard

Seneca Wallace

Luke McCown

Kyle Orton

S. Rosenfels

Rohan Davey

Stefan LeFors

Jesse Palmer

Tee Martin

Mike McMahon

Randy Fasani

Brian St. Pierre

Craig Krenzel

Dan Orlovsky

Ingle Martin

A.J. Feeley

Kurt Kittner

A. McPherson

Omar Jacobs

Brandon Doman

Craig Nall

Marc Bulger

Josh Booty

"J.T." O'Sullivan

Drew Henson

Andy Hall

Derek Anderson

Reggie McNeal

Spergon Wynn

Josh Heupel

Steve Bellisari

Brooks Bollinger

Josh Harris

Bruce Gradowski

Tom Brady

Kliff Kingsbury

Jim Sorgi

Todd Husak

Jeff Smoker

JaJuan Seider

Tim Rattay

Seth Burford

Gibran Hamdan

John Navarre

James Kilian

D.J. Shockley

Jarious Jackson

Jeff Kelly

Ken Dorsey

Cody Pickett

Matt Cassell

Joe Hamilton

Ronald Curry

Casey Bramlet

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Wes Pate

Matt Mauck

B.J. Symons

Bradlee Van Pelt

C. Pennington

Michael Vick

David Carr

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Vince Young

Joey Harrington

Byron Leftwich

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Leinart

Patrick Ramsey

Kyle Boller

B. Roethlisberger

Jason Campbell

Jay Cutler

Rex Grossman

J.P. Losman

There's a lot of bias in looking at it this way. First round picks, because of the money and publicity are almost always given the chance to succeed. You'd be better off taking away the guys from the first list who didn't get a shot to start.

David Garrard

Seneca Wallace

Luke McCown

Kyle Orton

S. Rosenfels

Rohan Davey

Stefan LeFors

Jesse Palmer

Tee Martin

Mike McMahon

Randy Fasani

Brian St. Pierre

Craig Krenzel

Dan Orlovsky

Ingle Martin

A.J. Feeley

Kurt Kittner

A. McPherson

Omar Jacobs

Brandon Doman

Craig Nall

Marc Bulger

Josh Booty

"J.T." O'Sullivan

Drew Henson

Andy Hall

Derek Anderson

Reggie McNeal

Spergon Wynn

Josh Heupel

Steve Bellisari

Brooks Bollinger

Josh Harris

Bruce Gradowski

Tom Brady

Kliff Kingsbury

Jim Sorgi

Todd Husak

Jeff Smoker

JaJuan Seider

Tim Rattay

Seth Burford

Gibran Hamdan

John Navarre

James Kilian

D.J. Shockley

Jarious Jackson

Jeff Kelly

Ken Dorsey

Cody Pickett

Matt Cassell

Joe Hamilton

Ronald Curry

Casey Bramlet

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Wes Pate

Matt Mauck

B.J. Symons

Bradlee Van Pelt

C. Pennington

Michael Vick

David Carr

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning

Alex Smith

Vince Young

Joey Harrington

Byron Leftwich

Philip Rivers

Aaron Rodgers

Matt Leinart

Patrick Ramsey

Kyle Boller

B. Roethlisberger

Jason Campbell

Jay Cutler

Rex Grossman

J.P. Losman

Ok how about this argument then. The GM came from a team whose franchise qb was drafted in the fifth round. In addition the new HC came from a team who saw their "franchise qb" whom they drafted in the first round become injury prone, never live up to expectations and eventually be replaced by a qb drafted in the fourth round who in his first season as a starter had one of the best TD - INT ratios in the league. With dimitrioff's and smith's past experiences why would they feel the need to draft a qb not only in the first round but early in the first round?

Users who are viewing this thread