What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fanduel Week 1 (1 Viewer)

Opinions on this for a cash LU??:

Mariota - Bell/DJ - Baldwin/Crabtree/Wright - Hooper or Clay - Walsh - Buff
I like this. My favorite TE this week is Walker, but I like Hooper a ton especially at his price point. I haven't convinced myself that Bell/DJ is the way to go @ RB but it's really hard to argue that they are the wrong call. Wright isn't a favorite of mine, FWIW. 

Starting to get some cold feet on Hooper.  Like the price and it get's me DJ/Bell, but 2.45 targets a game last year is troubling.  Is it offseason buzz that's expecting him to take a step forward, or just trying to soak up some of the 27 point total for Atlanta? 

For the back end of my DJ/Bell lineup,  I can go WR @ 5200 (Wright, R. Anderson), Hooper,  Bryant, Texans.  With the same core,  I can go WR @ 5100 (Zay, T. Gabriel), Ertz, Rams, and Kicker @ 4500.  

Starting to get some cold feet on Hooper.  Like the price and it get's me DJ/Bell, but 2.45 targets a game last year is troubling.  Is it offseason buzz that's expecting him to take a step forward, or just trying to soak up some of the 27 point total for Atlanta? 

For the back end of my DJ/Bell lineup,  I can go WR @ 5200 (Wright, R. Anderson), Hooper,  Bryant, Texans.  With the same core,  I can go WR @ 5100 (Zay, T. Gabriel), Ertz, Rams, and Kicker @ 4500.  
He was pretty good late in the year last year, and there's no tamme competition this year. Overall Atlanta tes put up good numbers but spread between the two, so reasonable to think hoops stays on the field and will be a dependable option. These lineups look a lot like mine as well:

mariota/Dj/bell/Pryor/martavis/Anderson/walker/prater/ATL

mariota/Dj/Hyde/Adams/martavis/Baldwin/walker/zuerlien/rams

He was pretty good late in the year last year, and there's no tamme competition this year. Overall Atlanta tes put up good numbers but spread between the two, so reasonable to think hoops stays on the field and will be a dependable option. These lineups look a lot like mine as well:

mariota/Dj/bell/Pryor/martavis/Anderson/walker/prater/ATL

mariota/Dj/Hyde/Adams/martavis/Baldwin/walker/zuerlien/rams
All of this. Plus Hooper is really talented. He will likely have duds when Julio is going crazy, but I like him a lot as a viable option in why should be an explosive offense 

Buzz, plus are you figuring in the targets to the other TE that isn't around from last year? Plus it's trying to target a guy from a team with a higher chance to score TDs. 

I am liking where I am at with the LU, but that leaves me with something like 5200 WR and sub 5K TE. 

Like others have debated, there are options at that WR level:  R.Anderson, Wright, P.Richardson, Sanu, Gabriel, etc..

Lots of cheap TEs too:  Clay, Z.Miller, Engram, Hooper, Cook. 

Am I the only guy who thinks Freeman will go off this week? I'm actually liking him over DJ. Am I overthinking this?
I kept hearing on podcasts and reading, that the Bears front 7 is pretty tough, and they might act a bit like a funnel D, so that got me on Ryan/Julio in gpps a bit.   Plus I think it was Freeman at home and Coleman away last year.  Still love Freeman, and this is week 1, so anything goes...

Opinions on this for a cash LU??:

Mariota - Bell/DJ - Baldwin/Crabtree/Wright - Hooper or Clay - Walsh - Buff
I am new to DFS, last year was my first time to play any contests. What I am not understanding is the following: ownership of Bell/DJ is going to be extremely high this week. If you are playing against these lineups this week you are relying on your scrubs outscoring their scrubs, right (the RBs will likely be a tie)? Could you pivot to a second tier RB and make up ground with WR2-3, TE? Is the thought that Bell/DJ will carry such a high score not playing them is a virtual loss in cash games? 

Not trying to question the strategies here just trying to learn. 

I like this. My favorite TE this week is Walker, but I like Hooper a ton especially at his price point. I haven't convinced myself that Bell/DJ is the way to go @ RB but it's really hard to argue that they are the wrong call. Wright isn't a favorite of mine, FWIW. 
I think for me it was that I could also get other pieces that I wanted in without forcing too much.  I doubt we will be able to get both in after this week much, so I thought why not.  Dropping from DJ/Bell to McCoy or Zeke wasn't that much of a savings, and I didn't think a slight upgrade in TE or K was worth it.   I know Gurley is in a prime spot, but I still want to see something there before using him in cash, and nobody in that price range blew my hair back. 

Wright is not a fave either, but it seems like he will have oppurtunity and is a chalky play this week, so I figured that I would be in a similar boat as a lot of other people. 

I am new to DFS, last year was my first time to play any contests. What I am not understanding is the following: ownership of Bell/DJ is going to be extremely high this week. If you are playing against these lineups this week you are relying on your scrubs outscoring their scrubs, right (the RBs will likely be a tie)? Could you pivot to a second tier RB and make up ground with WR2-3, TE? Is the thought that Bell/DJ will carry such a high score not playing them is a virtual loss in cash games? 

I think this question comes down to what stakes and contest types you are playing in.  For experts who are playing $1000 entry double ups, and every lineup is going to be 75% similar, there is a real pressure to identify pivot picks and fade consensus.  However, in my experience last year in $1 and $2 entry contests, you can do yourself a disservice by bending over backwards to move off chalk picks.  Sometimes guys are projected 40% owned for a reason, and I don't mind banking the points.  

Last edited by a moderator:

@BreadPuddin -

I am just learning too, so I love talking out loud with other people about this stuff.  Yes, if ownership is really high on a player, the cash lines tend to reflect that as well. 

However, IMO the other way to think about this is like so:  Let's say both Bell and DJ are at 50% each. (0 clue if they will be that high).  That doesn't mean that 50% of LUs will have both,  maybe 20-30% of people have both?  Now you start adding in other players - and say, what is the % of people that are going to jam in Bell/DJ/Mariota/Baldwin/Crabtee?  probably pretty low, and seeing how you only have to beat out 50% of people if you are playing 50/50s or a little higher if you are playing 2Xs, I think that is pretty damn good if you are convinced that your core is a good one. 

I would bet that most of the time last year, not having at least one of them in your LU every week was putting you behind by a few points, but that could be anecdotal.  Not sure why that would change yet, and they are cheaper now than they were at the end of last year.

Completely different in gpps though, as you don't want to have the same LU as 10% of everybody else out there. 

I think this question comes down to what stakes and contest types you are playing in.  For experts who are playing $1000 entry double ups, and every lineup is going to be 75% similar, there is a real pressure to identify pivot picks and fade consensus.  However, in my experience last year in $1 and $2 entry contests, you can do yourself a disservice by bending over backwards to move off chalk picks.  Sometimes guys are projected 40% owned for a reason, and I don't mind banking the points.  
Also a great point about the difference in competition and entry $ levels. 

Clay is a sneaky Gpp play. 

I am no pro.

Cash games you aim for more "chalk" which means the higher owner %. If a guy goes off that has a high % play and you fall behind a large amount of the field in a 50/50 or double up its hard to make up ground. If they have a stinker and some lower cost guy goes off you fall behind a lower % of the field. It's hard to find a dependable cheap rb with a high floor and easier imo to find low cost options at the other positions, and for cash im not looking for high upside lotto tickets. Plus those guys have pretty good matchups this week. That's how I understand it, but I haven't read the fbgs daily paid content, I think they have a pretty comprehensive write up on daily game theory. Maybe I have this wrong but that's how I understand it. 

Also,  it's not sexy to talk about, but there is just as many variable outcomes that can happen with your PK and Def as there is if you pay up at WR.  If you need to squeeze out $s, IMO it's just as reasonable to take a K like Dawson or Walsh on a team with a high total as it is to take Tucker or Bryant.  Same with D - does the Houst O scare people any more than the Jets?  Jax D is decent and is 600-1000 cheaper than more popular options like Houst and Buff. 

Some of those choices are just as likely to effect your score as deciding between going to McCoy or Zeke instead of the top 2 so you can pay up for a different TE or WR. 

Right or wrong, on FD I gravitate to paying up at RB and QB b/c they are slightly less volatile than other positions, and then punting at stuff like PK and TE.

In fact, as I typed that, I looked  going to Jax D allows you to get in Eifert/Graham/Walker along with Mariota/Bell/DJ/Crabtree/Baldwin.  SO something like:

Mariota/Bell/DJ/Baldwin/Crabtree/Wright/Walker/4500K/Jax.   OR mariota/Bell/DJ/Baldwin/Crabtree/Wrigt/Ertz/Crosby/Jax.

Then you are just punting at a chalky WR3 and Def.  :shrug:

Tennessee_ATO said:
The late swap stuff is likely a deal-breaker for me. Extremely doubtful I can commit to being clear mid-afternoon on Sundays. 
The obvious downside is that I'm busy on the weekend, and have more time to tinker with lineups on Thursday.  I enjoyed the mental relief that comes from setting and forgetting some THU-MON lineup.

Beyond that, one of my favorite tricks was to roster players in Sunday games who were officially designated questionable as of Thursday.  In theory, I was locking in lower ownership since risk-averse bettors would be off them.  Odell Beckham is a great example for this week.  It was a way to embrace injury risk in hopes of higher returns through lineup diversity.  Now everyone has an escape hatch, rendering this gambit obsolete.

I'll try to keep an open mind, but I can't see how late swap benefits bettors who would like to do something other than hover by their computers/ phones on Sundays.  If I wanted late swap, I would've taken my business to DK.

EDIT TO ADD:   Don't think I am criticizing those who choose to hover at their computers at all.  I would do the same if I weren't locked into family stuff.  I'm as big a degenerate as they come.   :P

Should I have any aversion to stacking Mariota with Walker in cash? I objectively like both as the best plays at their respective positions. 

Should I have any aversion to stacking Mariota with Walker in cash? I objectively like both as the best plays at their respective positions. 
Different opinions on this too.  I think it's Dodds who stacks his cash LUs, but also enters them in 3x, 100-man, and gpps.  If you are playing it safer or just doing 50/50s it might be better to spread it out and do Wilson or Graham/Ertz as pivots? 

Different opinions on this too.  I think it's Dodds who stacks his cash LUs, but also enters them in 3x, 100-man, and gpps.  If you are playing it safer or just doing 50/50s it might be better to spread it out and do Wilson or Graham/Ertz as pivots? 
I tend to run my cash lineups in some triples and leagues. I'm kicking the tires on something like:

Mariota, Leveon, Freeman, Amari, Fitz, Wright (bleh), Walker, Succup, Bills

Well, after trying to absorb as much as I can the last two days, I've come around, I guess you could say, to the squeezing in DJ/Bell for cash. So, I'm done setting L/U's and will run with these for tomorrow, for better or for worse. Good luck to everyone tomorrow:

Cash #1 - QB/ Carr, RB/ Bell - McCoy, WR, K. Benjamin - L. Fitzgerald - J. Crowder, TE/ Bennett, K/ Gano, DEF/ Bills

Cash #2 - QB/ Mariota, RB/ DJ - Bell, WR/ Crabtree - L. Fitzgerald - K. Wright, TE/ Ertz, K/ Zuerlein, DEF/ Rams

Cash #3 - QB/ Wentz, RB/ DJ - L. Miller, WR/ Baldwin - Crabtree - Benjamin, TE/ Walker, K/ Dawson, DEF/ Bills

GPP #1 - QB/ Stafford, RB/ DJ - L. Blount, WR/ AJ Green - Marshall - M. Jones Jr., TE/ Graham, K/ Crosby, DEF/ Eagles

GPP #2 - QB/ Wilson, RB/ Elliott - Gurley, WR/ A. Brown - R. Cobb - P. Richardson, TE/ Graham, K/ Tucker, DEF/ Rams

GPP #3 - QB/ Ryan, RB/ Bell - Miller, WR/ J. Jones - Cobb - Jo. Brown, TE/ C. Clay, K/ Succop, DEF/ Texans

Again, good luck everyone!

In fact, as I typed that, I looked  going to Jax D allows you to get in Eifert/Graham/Walker along with Mariota/Bell/DJ/Crabtree/Baldwin.  SO something like:

Mariota/Bell/DJ/Baldwin/Crabtree/Wright/Walker/4500K/Jax.   OR mariota/Bell/DJ/Baldwin/Crabtree/Wrigt/Ertz/Crosby/Jax.

Then you are just punting at a chalky WR3 and Def.  :shrug:
:lol:

Nevermind this post - I accidently had McCoy in there instead of DJ.

Well, after trying to absorb as much as I can the last two days, I've come around, I guess you could say, to the squeezing in DJ/Bell for cash. So, I'm done setting L/U's and will run with these for tomorrow, for better or for worse. Good luck to everyone tomorrow:

Cash #1 - QB/ Carr, RB/ Bell - McCoy, WR, K. Benjamin - L. Fitzgerald - J. Crowder, TE/ Walker, K/ Succop, DEF/ Bills

Cash #2 - QB/ Mariota, RB/ DJ - Bell, WR/ Crabtree - L. Fitzgerald - K. Wright, TE/ Ertz, K/ Zuerlein, DEF/ Rams

Cash #3 - QB/ Wentz, RB/ DJ - L. Miller, WR/ Baldwin - Crabtree - Benjamin, TE/ Walker, K/ Dawson, DEF/ Bills

GPP #1 - QB/ Stafford, RB/ DJ - L. Blount, WR/ AJ Green - Marshall - M. Jones Jr., TE/ Graham, K/ Crosby, DEF/ Eagles

GPP #2 - QB/ Wilson, RB/ Elliott - Gurley, WR/ A. Brown - R. Cobb - P. Richardson, TE/ Graham, K/ Tucker, DEF/ Rams

GPP #3 - QB/ Ryan, RB/ Bell - Miller, WR/ J. Jones - Cobb - Jo. Brown, TE/ C. Clay, K/ Succop, DEF/ Texans

Good Luck!  As of now I am sticking to the cash LU I posted a bit ago.  Still thinking about Wright, but will probably still just stick with the chalk. 

Still tweaking gpps, but one I have is the old man RB gpp:  Ryan - Blount/Stewart - Julio/AJG/MBryant - Walker - Dawson - Rams

The others I have written down are a Wilson -P.Rich stack and a Car/SF game stack with Newton/Olsen + Goodwin.

I tend to run my cash lineups in some triples and leagues. I'm kicking the tires on something like:

Mariota, Leveon, Freeman, Amari, Fitz, Wright (bleh), Walker, Succup, Bills
If that is the case, I wouldn't shy away from a stack in a cash LU if you really like it.  Not sure I would seek out to do it on purpose, but if those are your 2 favorite plays at the positions, why not.   I assume the theory is the bigger weeks would be worth it if you miss on a couple weeks too. 

If that is the case, I wouldn't shy away from a stack in a cash LU if you really like it.  Not sure I would seek out to do it on purpose, but if those are your 2 favorite plays at the positions, why not.   I assume the theory is the bigger weeks would be worth it if you miss on a couple weeks too. 
Yeah, that's my thought process. I am more willing to go w/ higher variance lineups than I would if I was straight 50/50 and doubles. 

My personal opinion about Titans WRs is that they aren't very good as a whole. They have a bunch of #2/possession/rookies-who-could-be-good-but-probably-not-as-rookies, IMO. I see a ton of targets for Walker. Decker could take some of those in the end zone, but I'm banking on a comfort level in Walker for Mariota. That and Oakland was horrific against TEs last year. 

Alright that's it, I'm going all in on Flacco / Wallace stack this week since nobody has said a peep about it and I could really use the Million bucks.  

Cash #1 - QB/ Carr, RB/ Bell - McCoy, WR, K. Benjamin - L. Fitzgerald - J. Crowder, TE/ Walker, K/ Succop, DEF/ Bills

$300 over I think

Anyone seeing good cheap ( $1-$2 ) contests off the main slate?

I like to roam outside the main slate as a way of taking games I think will be high-scoring, but I don't have a handle on ( like SEA / GB ) off the table.  I'm not seeing the large-field cash / multipliers that I gravitate toward.

Yeah, that's my thought process. I am more willing to go w/ higher variance lineups than I would if I was straight 50/50 and doubles. 

My personal opinion about Titans WRs is that they aren't very good as a whole. They have a bunch of #2/possession/rookies-who-could-be-good-but-probably-not-as-rookies, IMO. I see a ton of targets for Walker. Decker could take some of those in the end zone, but I'm banking on a comfort level in Walker for Mariota. That and Oakland was horrific against TEs last year. 
as others have said lean stack for gpps/3x/5x and split for 5050/du/h2h.

Oh ya Cousins / Pryor as well just for good measure ;)
I tried that one on DK.  Cousins and Stafford stood out at guys that I hadn't heard people talking about much this week. 

Some more of my weird ideas for the week were Hoyer + Goodwin, Fournette +Jax D, Gordon + SD D, and Eli + Engram

Anyone seeing good cheap ( $1-$2 ) contests off the main slate?

I like to roam outside the main slate as a way of taking games I think will be high-scoring, but I don't have a handle on ( like SEA / GB ) off the table.  I'm not seeing the large-field cash / multipliers that I gravitate toward.
if your plan is to fade a high scoring game or two that you think will be highly owned, then it seems like the main slate is the ideal slate to play gpps in, no?

also i agree with you on gb/sea being hard to figure out.  i hardly ever disagree with vegas but i could see this game being lower scoring (ofc i could also see a total in the 70s too).  i just feel some of that tom-brady-like-week-1-awkardness showing up and this thing ends up 21-17ish.

Dodds put up a post on his personal blog about his "cash+" style of play, entering lineups with stacks across 2x, 3x, 5x and 100 mans.  I noticed a big uptick in my ROI last year when I switched over from grinding cash, where strictly played 50/50 and 2xs, to cash+.  Will be playing this allocation again this year.  

Dodds put up a post on his personal blog about his "cash+" style of play, entering lineups with stacks across 2x, 3x, 5x and 100 mans.  I noticed a big uptick in my ROI last year when I switched over from grinding cash, where strictly played 50/50 and 2xs, to cash+.  Will be playing this allocation again this year.  
I tried this as well, and liked the results for the most part.  I just need to stick to one cash LU though.  Doing 2-3 drove me nuts. 

Also, instead of 50/50s, I probably should be doing more H2Hs, I just always feel like the sharks are waiting over there in the H2H pool. 

Well, I usually don't do any gpps more than a couple bucks, but used some of my MLB winnings to throw in a couple shots to the Sunday Million. 

Good Luck all!!

Users who are viewing this thread