What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" Movie 11/18/2016 (1 Viewer)

Johnny Rock

Footballguy
Surprised there's no thread for Fantastic Beasts yet. Arrives in theatres officially Friday with special showings Thursday night. My whole family can't wait to see it. Looks awesome!

Based on a book by JK Rowling. From the wizarding world of Harry Potter. 

http://www.fantasticbeasts.com

We were just down at Universal in FL last week (first time) and we were surprised that there was no mention of Fantastic Beasts in any of the Harry Potter areas in the parks.

Does look good tho, we may see it this weekend too.

My family went to see it yesterday.  I enjoyed it, my son (16) really liked it.  Wife and daughter loved it.  My biggest complaint is it is really hard to understand what they say at times.  It's like the sound mixing was off.

If you love HP, you'll love it. 

My family went to see it yesterday.  I enjoyed it, my son (16) really liked it.  Wife and daughter loved it.  My biggest complaint is it is really hard to understand what they say at times.  It's like the sound mixing was off.

Thoughts for a 9&7 year old who have no harry potter knowledge

Thoughts for a 9&7 year old who have no harry potter knowledge
It is certainly a  bit darker than any of the other HP movies.  Without HP knowledge, it would be harder for them to appreciate, but there were plenty of kids in the theater last night that age.  Not sure that answers your question.  I would probably not take a 7 yr old, but that is just how we have rolled as parents. :shrug:

Was thinking of taking my two boys (11, 8) to see either this or Dr Strange tonight.  Anyone seen both, and any advice on which is better to see?  My boys like both Marvel and HP movies.  They've been asking to see both of these over the past few weeks.

Was thinking of taking my two boys (11, 8) to see either this or Dr Strange tonight.  Anyone seen both, and any advice on which is better to see?  My boys like both Marvel and HP movies.  They've been asking to see both of these over the past few weeks.
I have seen both.  I would bet your boys will like both, though would probably like this one (HP) a little more due to all of the fantastic beasts.

I enjoyed it a lot more than I did several of the HP movies. Including Kowalski's character kind of brought back that sense of discovery you felt with Harry, which I really appreciated.

Saw it this morning. I don't know what to think about it really. There was no real bad guy but it did set up the possibilities of a lot of stories going forward. It was kind of a weird movie overall. The movie did have an American feel to it though compared to the Harry Potter ones. That may be bad though as I don't know if that "feel" will resonate with others expecting a more Harry Potter feel. 

HP Lovecraft?   #### YEAH

I didn't know there was a thread for this, but here's what I posted in another thread:

It's OK I guess. Mostly a kids movie with some scary parts, but overall it felt like a CGI-fest. It took a while for the main story to get going.I liked Eddie Redmayne in Les Mis and The Theory of Everything, but he felt out of place as the main character here. Kids will love this movie but I can't recommend it for adults. Even fans of the Harry Potter series will find little connection to the Hogwarts world.

Saw it Saturday with 2 teenagers and we all enjoyed it.  My daughter said it was fun to see a "wizarding world" movie where she didn't know what was going to happen (since she ready every HP book about 4 times before those movies came out).

Is Credence dead? We saw a bit of the obscurus fly away at the end so maybe he escaped to be the villain for future films.

I see this movie getting absolutely crushed by the critics, but have to say my son and I enjoyed it for what it is - a kids action movie.  You really can't watch a movie like this with any notion of a critical eye for plot, particularly with regard to continuity to the overall story.  I know that doesn't seem like much to ask, but it certainly seems to be the case these days that they spend 99% of the budget on actors and special effects/CGI, leaving a few pennies for the writers.

Some non-spoiler takeaways, all of which are plagiarized to one degree or another from others:

1. The Dumbledore - Grindewald love story has fully emerged from the realm of rumor and is now firmly established as Harry Potter cannon.  As this is supposed to run for 3 more movies, 5 total, it will be interesting to see how the world reacts to the flashbacks of their courtship, romance and sexual relationship.

2.  In retrospect, it seems undeniable Dumbledore made a poor choice when he ditched the sporty tweed/flannel vested suits and neatly trimmed beard for the colorful robes, gaudy necklaces, tassled hat and that strange beard bracelet thing.

3.  The climactic CGI scenes are all pretty much cookie-cutter action scenes, in many cases either completely irrelevant to the plot (such as it is) or only bearing a loose tangential relationship to anything important to the story.

I see this movie getting absolutely crushed by the critics, but have to say my son and I enjoyed it for what it is - a kids action movie.  You really can't watch a movie like this with any notion of a critical eye for plot, particularly with regard to continuity to the overall story.  I know that doesn't seem like much to ask, but it certainly seems to be the case these days that they spend 99% of the budget on actors and special effects/CGI, leaving a few pennies for the writers.

Some non-spoiler takeaways, all of which are plagiarized to one degree or another from others:

1. The Dumbledore - Grindewald love story has fully emerged from the realm of rumor and is now firmly established as Harry Potter cannon.  As this is supposed to run for 3 more movies, 5 total, it will be interesting to see how the world reacts to the flashbacks of their courtship, romance and sexual relationship.

2.  In retrospect, it seems undeniable Dumbledore made a poor choice when he ditched the sporty tweed/flannel vested suits and neatly trimmed beard for the colorful robes, gaudy necklaces, tassled hat and that strange beard bracelet thing.

3.  The climactic CGI scenes are all pretty much cookie-cutter action scenes, in many cases either completely irrelevant to the plot (such as it is) or only bearing a loose tangential relationship to anything important to the story.
3 more of these seem like overkill

I didn't think it was a bad movie, but it was certainly a setup film with some confusing plot lines.

There seems to be a large gap between the critics and the fans.

I went in assuming the worst but came out liking the film.  It is obviously not a great movie but I don't see why it got so hammered by critics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, what's this now? 

I thought that movie was a mess. There's a good story in there, but it was horribly written. JK can't write anymore now that she is all powerful. She doesn't listen to editors and is simply not a screen play writer. We saw the same thing in the last HP book. That book was nearly 300 pages too long. And 200 of that was wizard camping and complaining. Before she had more money than God, and pre castle, she had to listen to editors and wrote some of the most amazing stories ever. Now, she is terrible. That being said, I did enjoy that hot mess of a movie, but it could've been so much better. 

Finally saw it yesterday, definitely felt much more confusing than the first but still enjoyable. Basically all a setup movie for the future as others said. This one had a little too much going on they tried to squeeze in making it tougher to follow and feel very disjointed. There was a little too much jumping in head first to some of the plot beats without "earning it" or connecting the dots IMO and I felt like I was watching movie #3 in the series and not #2. It was almost as if there is a book with lots more backstory and explanation that they had to cut down, except unlike the HP movies of course, there is no book for this.

Lots of nitpicks: the initial escape scene at the beginning of the movie just felt weird compared to how they have depicted battles with magic in the past. For a guy that got tossed out of Hogwarts at a young age, Newt sure seems to be an extremely powerful and well-trained wizard. By jamming this into the 1920's but then throwing in nods to the HP movies, they really jacked up some timelines and canon with the retconning.

Finally saw it yesterday, definitely felt much more confusing than the first but still enjoyable. Basically all a setup movie for the future as others said. This one had a little too much going on they tried to squeeze in making it tougher to follow and feel very disjointed. There was a little too much jumping in head first to some of the plot beats without "earning it" or connecting the dots IMO and I felt like I was watching movie #3 in the series and not #2. It was almost as if there is a book with lots more backstory and explanation that they had to cut down, except unlike the HP movies of course, there is no book for this.
:goodposting:

agree with all of this. I enjoyed it- mostly because I enjoy the genre- but it felt like a mess to follow, especially compared to the first one. Lots of new plots and subplots without much of any exposition. I like how you wrote "earning it"... very apt.

Users who are viewing this thread