What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fashion - need some good looking alternatives to jeans - comfort important (1 Viewer)

good stuff in here. I'm 49 so I'd say I'm solidly in the FBG demo :lmao: Probably not hitting the joggers.

Also 49 and certainly not a slave to fashion by ay stretch... but I wanted something super-comfy to wear when traveling (1-2 times a month). I usually wear shorts for ultra-comfort but find myself flying out quite early some days and it's rather chilly in the morning. I simply refuse to wear sweatpants. The joggers seem like a decent alternative.

good stuff in here. I'm 49 so I'd say I'm solidly in the FBG demo :lmao: Probably not hitting the joggers.
Do it and you will never look back. It's perfect for older people as well because it's comfort first.
Seriously. For anyone that has any sort of belly, joggers or at least draw string chinos are the way to go. **** a belt and button and all that jazz

Do it and you will never look back. It's perfect for older people as well because it's comfort first.
Seriously. For anyone that has any sort of belly, joggers or at least draw string chinos are the way to go. **** a belt and button and all that jazz
Next step…..velcro shoes

Vuori Ripstop pants are great. durable material, not sweatpant or jogger material. not jeans, either.

and i'm a sneaker guy. hate, hate, hate any dress shoes that are not meant to be worn with a suit. they're comfortable, versatile and there are many styles & colors to choose from vs. brown or black dress shoes.

Vuori Ripstop pants are great. durable material, not sweatpant or jogger material. not jeans, either.

and i'm a sneaker guy. hate, hate, hate any dress shoes that are not meant to be worn with a suit. they're comfortable, versatile and there are many styles & colors to choose from vs. brown or black dress shoes.
The ripstops are nice. If you don’t care much about color, you can frequently find them on sale for $60 or so.

:thumbup: Sweet, this is along the lines of what I'm looking for

:thumbup: Sweet, this is along the lines of what I'm looking for
if you want comfortable sneakers for casual day wear, New Balance and Asics Gel-Lytes are great.

New Balance can be had for anywhere from $50 - $250 depending on which styles you prefer. they're not the embarrassing dad NB's of years gone past anymore.

I’ve said it before, I really like these pants + a fitted t or subdued aloha shirt (probably won’t fly outside tropical climates, but could work in Vegas).

ETA And hard pass on joggers.
Those pants are awful. Joggers a million times over those ill fitting things that have a huge ugly pocket on the side

Yeah, dont ever buy those OP.
Would you recommend a middle-aged novice dive into the retro sneaker market?

Why not? Quality sneakers are timeless. People are still wearing the same Jordan model from 1985. I'm more of a Stan Smith guy but whatever floats your boat.
While I agree with the bolded, I don't think many people outside the sneakerhead community find old Jordans, or many of the coveted retro athletic shoes, timeless. It's a niche collector market.

Ultimately its all subjective, of course, but I wonder what percentage of the general population appreciates the aesthetic of high-priced sneakers? It's a lot easier to understand the enduring style of fancy dress shoes, at least from my vantage point.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you live and what you do. I'd venture to say most men lets say (21-55) will appreciate and even compliment a pair of good sneakers as opposed to some generic Allen Edmonds dress shoe. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of dress shoes, think it was a wedding last year. I'm not a Jordan guy but love a good pair of low profile basic sneakers (Common Projects)
Not in my world - I have male friends + coworkers in their 20s-50s, and I can't recall any of them being into sneakers. I guess a couple have ultra boosts (FWIW, I run in a pair as well). These are people with some discretionary income, who live in a mid sized city.

To be fair, 90%+ of the time I'm not at work or doing something active, I'm wearing slippers. Same goes for most people on-island.

Almost never wear dress shoes, but easier for me to recognize quality in them than the several hundred/thousand+ dollar sneakers offdee takes such pride in. That's irrelevant as long as he's happy, though I still contend most of the general public doesn't care about/appreciate high-end sneakers. This article sums it up:
Sneakerheads are a deeply committed community of collectors and aficionados. Sneakerheads do not represent a major portion of sneaker sales. Sneakerheads create a lot of hype and buzz that can be good for brand equity, but this brand equity is difficult, if not impossible to measure. Within the echo chamber, the voices of sneakerheads are loud, but those voices do not carry.

these were otis and offdee approved https://www.colehaan.com/mens-2.zerogrand-wingtip-oxford/C27568.html

i DESPISE any pants or shorts made with that damn stretchy material. which seem to be most of them these days. is it because americans are such lards they need their pants to expand? whatever the material is, lycra?, it doesn't breath. at all.
Stretchy pants/shorts are great for hiking, climbing, or just about any athletic activity. Mine breathe fine :shrug:
I have Not had good experiences with the stretchy shorts/pants. I’m not talking about hiking/climbing/athletic clothing. I’m talking about regular, upscale casual clothing. I swear it’s for the lardos. Awful stuff

these were otis and offdee approved https://www.colehaan.com/mens-2.zerogrand-wingtip-oxford/C27568.html

i DESPISE any pants or shorts made with that damn stretchy material. which seem to be most of them these days. is it because americans are such lards they need their pants to expand? whatever the material is, lycra?, it doesn't breath. at all.
Stretchy pants/shorts are great for hiking, climbing, or just about any athletic activity. Mine breathe fine :shrug:
I have Not had good experiences with the stretchy shorts/pants. I’m not talking about hiking/climbing/athletic clothing. I’m talking about regular, upscale casual clothing. I swear it’s for the lardos. Awful stuff
I guess I don’t really distinguish those, as many of climbing pants can be worn out to eat, etc. In my mind, they’re roughly equivalent to chinos or nice jeans. Can you post an example of what you mean?

ETA Never underestimate the comfort provided by a stretchy, gusseted crotch.

Last edited:
This ilk. Casual, comfortable clothes all seem be “ stretchy”. Just google “casual dress pants”. Most are stretch fit. The fatties are winning.

This ilk. Casual, comfortable clothes all seem be “ stretchy”. Just google “casual dress pants”. Most are stretch fit. The fatties are winning.

I see. Those don’t look terrible. But considering the percentage of our country that is overweight or obese, I guess the stretch market shouldn’t be surprising.

I love the stretch material being used in jeans and the semi-dress pants. The stretch material is comfortable. I could stand to lose 5 pounds but I’m not overweight.

Also 49 and certainly not a slave to fashion by ay stretch... but I wanted something super-comfy to wear when traveling (1-2 times a month). I usually wear shorts for ultra-comfort but find myself flying out quite early some days and it's rather chilly in the morning. I simply refuse to wear sweatpants. The joggers seem like a decent alternative.
Wearing my Birddog joggers today. Absolutely love them. Way more comfy than jeans but still look stylish enough to wear to the office. These will be my travel pants for sure.

I’ve said it before, I really like these pants + a fitted t or subdued aloha shirt (probably won’t fly outside tropical climates, but could work in Vegas).

ETA And hard pass on joggers.
Those pants are awful. Joggers a million times over those ill fitting things that have a huge ugly pocket on the side

Yeah, dont ever buy those OP.
Would you recommend a middle-aged novice dive into the retro sneaker market?

Why not? Quality sneakers are timeless. People are still wearing the same Jordan model from 1985. I'm more of a Stan Smith guy but whatever floats your boat.
While I agree with the bolded, I don't think many people outside the sneakerhead community find old Jordans, or many of the coveted retro athletic shoes, timeless. It's a niche collector market.

Ultimately its all subjective, of course, but I wonder what percentage of the general population appreciates the aesthetic of high-priced sneakers? It's a lot easier to understand the enduring style of fancy dress shoes, at least from my vantage point.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you live and what you do. I'd venture to say most men lets say (21-55) will appreciate and even compliment a pair of good sneakers as opposed to some generic Allen Edmonds dress shoe. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of dress shoes, think it was a wedding last year. I'm not a Jordan guy but love a good pair of low profile basic sneakers (Common Projects)
Not in my world - I have male friends + coworkers in their 20s-50s, and I can't recall any of them being into sneakers. I guess a couple have ultra boosts (FWIW, I run in a pair as well). These are people with some discretionary income, who live in a mid sized city.

To be fair, 90%+ of the time I'm not at work or doing something active, I'm wearing slippers. Same goes for most people on-island.

Almost never wear dress shoes, but easier for me to recognize quality in them than the several hundred/thousand+ dollar sneakers offdee takes such pride in. That's irrelevant as long as he's happy, though I still contend most of the general public doesn't care about/appreciate high-end sneakers. This article sums it up:
Sneakerheads are a deeply committed community of collectors and aficionados. Sneakerheads do not represent a major portion of sneaker sales. Sneakerheads create a lot of hype and buzz that can be good for brand equity, but this brand equity is difficult, if not impossible to measure. Within the echo chamber, the voices of sneakerheads are loud, but those voices do not carry.
many years ago now i was making inroads with a young lady. fireworks exploding. googly eyes. the whole spiel.

she asked me what i'd do if i could open and run my own business and i told her i'd run a sneaker shop.

*needleskip*

her: umm.... shoes? do you have like... a foot fetish or something weird like that?
me: eh???
her: you're in to ...... shoes??
me: yeah, i like sneakers. if i had money and could do something i enjoy, i'd run a shop selling sneakers.
her: do you...... not like women?
me: dafunk??
her: i mean... it just seems kinda........ like you might like men. only guys that like other men are really into shoes.
me: uhh.... nice talking to you then.

so maybe it's a smaller niche than i imagine?

Second to all the Lulu pants suggestion. The ABC (anti-ball crush) joggers are great. Wear those often.

For pants I like this brand: Mugsy

Haven't bought any of their jeans versions so not sure what they look like but the chinos style are great. Very comfortable and a decent price.

Used to do Banana Republic but the quality fell off I thought.

Almost never wear dress shoes, but easier for me to recognize quality in them than the several hundred/thousand+ dollar sneakers offdee takes such pride in. That's irrelevant as long as he's happy, though I still contend most of the general public doesn't care about/appreciate high-end sneakers.

I can't speak for the 'sneakerhead' community. To understand that market just compare them to baseball cards. Both cardboard but one with limited production and slight variations can net you a pretty penny. You have to invest yourself and know the market. I honestly dont care enough about that stuff to follow it closely.

I'm just speaking on dress shoes v. sneakers. FTR, I probably have 5 pairs of dress shoes and 25+ pairs of sneakers. I thank my time in NYC for stepping up my shoe game early on but good to see sneaker culture spread worldwide. Now practically every historical dress shoe designer is making sneakers (Gucci, Prada, Balenciaga, etc). I remember a time when nightclubs/bars outside of NYC/LA wouldnt let you in with sneakers. Now that's all you see.

I see. Those don’t look terrible. But considering the percentage of our country that is overweight or obese, I guess the stretch market shouldn’t be surprising.
They are also an awesome innovation for pants/jeans in general.

I think both things are true.

Next step…..velcro shoes
I will wear these with my lulu joggers

Zero shame or ****s given!

Those look perfectly reasonable for a thin/fit, middle aged dude. Add elastic cuffs and they’d be ridiculous, especially on someone with a big-ger bottom half.
Your work in the covid thread is appreciated and solid. Your work here is not good :hifive:
Just trying to stamp out pandemics, and it looks like joggers are up next.

ETA As with covid, young people will probably survive joggers, but I‘m trying to protect at-risk, elderly populations.

Last edited:
Those look perfectly reasonable for a thin/fit, middle aged dude. Add elastic cuffs and they’d be ridiculous, especially on someone with a big-ger bottom half.
Your work in the covid thread is appreciated and solid. Your work here is not good :hifive:
Just trying to stamp out pandemics, and it looks like joggers are up next.

ETA As with covid, young people will probably survive joggers, but I‘m trying to protect at-risk, elderly populations.
My soon to be 80 year old dad rocks joggers and he looks dope doing so

Joggers are essentially the evolution of the sweatpant. Anyone can pull them off IMO just need to not go super tight or super high ankle unless you have a whole look going on. Regular joggers are just nice athletic pants that can be worn in many more normal settings.

This stretchy material getting put into normal looking pants is a welcome addition to the evolution of pant. First time I saw this being mass produced was in GAP / Banana Republic brands. They started adding spandex and other similar synthetics into their jeans. Huge improvement IMO way more comfy.

At the risk of ridicule, this 50+ year old wears these fairly regularly.

I can dress them up for work with nice shoes or go more casual with some retro Adidas.

You busting on my screen name?!?

Users who are viewing this thread