What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fashion - need some good looking alternatives to jeans - comfort important (1 Viewer)

coyote5

Footballguy
Whatcha got? All day casual shoes to go with also needed. I know it's the style but I'm not much for slim fit

I'm headed out to Vegas at the end of March so that's my first purpose for this, but also just in general.

Offdee is working the casual style. Wait - he’s not here anymore
Seems like he’s into skinny jeans and cargo pants, plus expensive sneakers. Not something most guys over the age of 30 can pull off.

FTR, not remotely into fashion, but think many older guys wear stuff that’s too baggy/poorly fitted. Athletic cut is your friend, if you‘re not overweight.

I’ve said it before, I really like these pants + a fitted t or subdued aloha shirt (probably won’t fly outside tropical climates, but could work in Vegas).

ETA And hard pass on joggers.

I’ve said it before, I really like these pants + a fitted t or subdued aloha shirt (probably won’t fly outside tropical climates, but could work in Vegas).

Those pants are awful. Joggers a million times over those ill fitting things that have a huge ugly pocket on the side
The OP didn’t reveal his age, but I assume he’s standard fbg demographic. Maybe it happens in places like LA, but I’ve never seen middle aged dudes in joggers. Is that really happening elsewhere?

The OP didn’t reveal his age, but I assume he’s standard fbg demographic. Maybe it happens in places like LA, but I’ve never seen middle aged dudes in joggers. Is that really happening elsewhere?
Everywhere.
Again, I’m no fashion expert, but find that shocking. I’ve not seen any older guys in them, despite multiple trips in the last year, including major airports in the US and three other countries. To be fair, Mexico, Canada and Japan aren‘t exactly known for their style, and I don’t set foot in bars or clubs, if I can avoid it.

I routinely see joggers on young men in the hospital though, plus young and middle aged women. In you opinion, who should be wearing them, and in what settings?

FTR, the pants I recommended are well fitted, and the pocket is more subtle than the photo suggests. I’ve received many compliments on them.

Those pants are awful. Joggers a million times over those ill fitting things that have a huge ugly pocket on the side

Yeah, dont ever buy those OP.
Would you recommend a middle-aged novice dive into the retro sneaker market?

Joggers were big back in 2016. I have a pair of camos, just to make sure I looked like I should have a pair of Oakleys to go with it.

Joggers? Really back in style? Oof.

one thing people overlook is jorts look you get the tough ruggedness of jeans with the sleek look of shorts and a whole i wish it was still the 70s thing all rolled into one take that to the bank bromigos

Joggers were big back in 2016. I have a pair of camos, just to make sure I looked like I should have a pair of Oakleys to go with it.

They haven't gone out of style yet friend. Been a good solid 6 or 8 year run at this point

They haven't gone out of style yet friend. Been a good solid 6 or 8 year run at this point

Wow, thanks for the information. I'll stick with reasonably slim jeans, I guess, even maybe going retro with straight leg. Those are coming back around. But any place with a dress code that allows joggers but no jeans is seriously whacked, IMO.

I don't get the big hang up on joggers. They're just fitted jogging pants. Jogging pants have been around since I've been alive and now they're just fitted much like the trend of chinos, jeans, etc. And yes, athletic leisure style has become quite commonplace regardless of age. Thank Lulu Lemon and the pandemic for that.

I don't get the big hang up on joggers. They're just fitted jogging pants. Jogging pants have been around since I've been alive and now they're just fitted much like the trend of chinos, jeans, etc. And yes, athletic leisure style has become quite commonplace regardless of age. Thank Lulu Lemon and the pandemic for that.
Yeah I like them. Although I get them a size up so I don’t look like I’m wearing skinny Jeans.

Why not? Quality sneakers are timeless. People are still wearing the same Jordan model from 1985. I'm more of a Stan Smith guy but whatever floats your boat.

Never left. Some are more slim fit and look like khakis, good for work. Others are baggier and more like sweats for leisure. Some are very baggy- that’s a Japanese influence.

Amongst the youths that I interact with, it’s not too common to even wear jeans. That’s too dressy for them. Which one one hand drives me nuts but on the other I appreciate because it allows me to wear jeans to work everyday and somehow look like I’m professional and putting in effort.

Why not? Quality sneakers are timeless. People are still wearing the same Jordan model from 1985. I'm more of a Stan Smith guy but whatever floats your boat.
While I agree with the bolded, I don't think many people outside the sneakerhead community find old Jordans, or many of the coveted retro athletic shoes, timeless. It's a niche collector market.

Ultimately its all subjective, of course, but I wonder what percentage of the general population appreciates the aesthetic of high-priced sneakers? It's a lot easier to understand the enduring style of fancy dress shoes, at least from my vantage point.

While I agree with the bolded, I don't think many people outside the sneakerhead community find old Jordans, or many of the coveted retro athletic shoes, timeless. It's a niche collector market.

Ultimately its all subjective, of course, but I wonder what percentage of the general population appreciates the aesthetic of high-priced sneakers? It's a lot easier to understand the enduring style of fancy dress shoes, at least from my vantage point.
Personally think guys over 50 wearing high tops look a little silly but that’s probably just me. I put them in the same category as sports jerseys when you’re not at a game.

If I see someone with nice but flashy sneakers, I usually think “not my style but nice”. They are fair game now for almost any setting. I don’t dabble but certainly have some decently priced Nikes, etc. Just got some flyknit vapor max recently, those are cool- no leather just string.

It’s the tapered cuffs. I grew up when pegged jeans were a thing, and it’s not a good look imo. Just like the other end of the spectrum - bell bottoms were and are hideous.

Whatcha got? All day casual shoes to go with also needed. I know it's the style but I'm not much for slim fit

I'm headed out to Vegas at the end of March so that's my first purpose for this, but also just in general.
Casual is in

Lulu
Vuori
Birddogs

I just bought some of these joggers and plan on wearing tomorrow to work. I am always behind in all things fashion by at least 1-2 years of course.

Casual is in

Lulu
Vuori
Birddogs

I just bought some of these joggers and plan on wearing tomorrow to work. I am always behind in all things fashion by at least 1-2 years of course.
Substitute decades for years for me.

I guess a lot of it depends on where you live and what you do. I'd venture to say most men lets say (21-55) will appreciate and even compliment a pair of good sneakers as opposed to some generic Allen Edmonds dress shoe. I can't remember the last time I wore a pair of dress shoes, think it was a wedding last year. I'm not a Jordan guy but love a good pair of low profile basic sneakers (Common Projects)

Casual is in

Lulu
Vuori
Birddogs

I also bought some of these which are pretty stylish and'll look good with the joggers.

Maybe a bit more casual than what looking for, but Mack Weldon Ace Sweatpants have become my go-to while working from home. Comfortable, and tapered fit.

Those are pretty nice. I think the OP may want a pair of drawstring chinos. Been seeing them a lot over the past few years. Something like this: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...g-cotton-drawstring-trousers/1647597292335701

$240? :oldunsure:

Don't get caught up on the price. That's my schtick homey and I'm just giving examples. Similar styles can be found at J Crew, Saks and even Target for much cheaper.

I think skinny jeans might stick around for a little longer Kanye had started making moves out of the blue, wide leg jeans moves, then boom cancelled. I know because I've been waiting so long for that moment but not while big skinny is constantly looking over our shoulder.

Maybe a bit more casual than what looking for, but Mack Weldon Ace Sweatpants have become my go-to while working from home. Comfortable, and tapered fit.

Those are pretty nice. I think the OP may want a pair of drawstring chinos. Been seeing them a lot over the past few years. Something like this: https://www.mrporter.com/en-us/mens...g-cotton-drawstring-trousers/1647597292335701

$240? :oldunsure:

Don't get caught up on the price. That's my schtick homey and I'm just giving examples. Similar styles can be found at J Crew, Saks and even Target for much cheaper.

That's more my lane then. I mean, I did pay $125 for some slip-on sneaks and the Birddog pants were $120 but I had a nice balance on my PayPal (thank you, fantasy football) and I was looking to blow some caysh.

good stuff in here. I'm 49 so I'd say I'm solidly in the FBG demo :lmao: Probably not hitting the joggers.

I think skinny jeans might stick around for a little longer Kanye had started making moves out of the blue, wide leg jeans moves, then boom cancelled. I know because I've been waiting so long for that moment but not while big skinny is constantly looking over our shoulder.
Straight leg, boot cut and all that is back for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread