What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Favre leaning towards retiring (1 Viewer)

I'll believe it when I see it with Favre. If true - tough to see him go out after such a lousy year.

WOW, what an interview. He doesn't sound like a guy who wants it anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, what an interview. He doesn't sound like a guy who wants it anymore.
I'm sure that upsets the DBs of all the teams who play the Packers in 2006. No more throw the ball blindy hard as you can downfield passes for easy interceptions.

he's an emotional guy.tomorrow he could be all excited for next season and the next day still upset about last year and not wanting to play.I totally agree that ya gotta wait to see something official.

As a lifelong Packers fan, I felt strongly he would be back until I saw that interview. Favre clearly doesn't want to struggle through another season like that. He's always wanted to go out like Elway and I think he's accepted it's not going to happen. Making things more complicated is a new coaching staff, a different offense, and a GM that clearly is building to compete in a few years. Family's also playing a big role.I believe Favre's great career is over. It was unbelievable to watch.

BF is starting to turn into a drama queen. Retire or play but quit with the freaking Oprah coach sessions. And another thing- ESPN blows! How anyone can watch that garbage is beyond me. This is no longer sport with that east coast glee club. ESPN is nothing but The View with some occasional highlights. Pure garbage. Make your move Brett and quit the soap opera routine already...

after thinking about it...i HOPE brett favre retireshe's an all-time great and a green bay packer legend - he just sounded like a beaten man last night. of course i'd want brett favre to return to the pack in 2006 if his head was in the game, but it clearly isn't. when brett says things like...- not wantings to put in the work during the offseason- talking about there being no guarantees record-wise next season- wishing he could wait until training camp to decide- telling GM ted thompson that if he needs to cut his loose he'd understand- being unsure if you want the ball with 2 minutes left (this was the straw that broke the camels back for me)as a packer fan i will always appreciate what he brought to the green bay franchise. hopefully he knows when to walk away because now is the time :( it's been a long, strange ride brett - thanks for the memories and another championship

BF is starting to turn into a drama queen. Retire or play but quit with the freaking Oprah coach sessions. And another thing- ESPN blows! How anyone can watch that garbage is beyond me. This is no longer sport with that east coast glee club. ESPN is nothing but The View with some occasional highlights. Pure garbage. Make your move Brett and quit the soap opera routine already...
Scary, but I could see him doing Oprah :thumbdown:

Can't this attention whore wait until AFTER the Superbowl to make news? Geesh.
Cris Carter did the same thing the first time he retired. He announced it during Super Bowl week to try and steal some of the headlines. Granted, he was much bigger of an attention whore than Favre is. I doubt Favre's attentions are the same, but he should be smart enough to know not to try and take attention away from the game, especially since if he does announce his retirement this week, John Madden will spend half of the Super Bowl talking about him instead of the game.

He loves the attention so he pretends he doesn't know what he is going to do Farve = :bag: :bye: hopefully, Im sick of watching him throw interceptions. Jay Cutler does look like Farve in that respect.

Can't this attention whore wait until AFTER the Superbowl to make news?  Geesh.
Just curious did Favre call a press conference to announce he may retire?
No. But he did give his first and only 'exclusive' interview to a high profile ESPN reporter. He could have done that last week, the week before or next week. He has been asked 1000 times, I'm sure. I can imagine he gets interview requests daily. He picked now, for whatever reason, to 'come out of hiding'. Whatever. You'll get a dozen Packer fans who'll scream, "IT'S NOT HIS FAULT! HE'S BEING CONSTANTLY ASKED AND HE JUST ANSWERS THE QUESTIONS" and you'll get a number of folks rolling their eyes and calling him an attention whore. He's probably somewhere between the two.

Ya know the old adage "It's better to sit quiet and let everyone think you're a stupid ###, rather than to type and remove all doubt"?You should really think about this.

:rolleyes:

Just curious were all you guys calling Emmitt Smith an attention whore when he announced his retirement DURING Super Bowl week?Nah of course not, only Favre bashers would do that. Even though ESPN sent Mort down to interview him. You guys are acting like he's standing outside his home with a sign asking people to interview him. :lmao: :lmao:

I love to bash Favre every chance I get (it brings me great pleasure). But Favre gets wrongly critized for being an attention whore. I am sure Mortensen went to Favre to do an interview, not the other way around.More times than not, people put a microphone in front of Favre's face and ask him questions. For the most part, Favre is just answering questions.As a Viking fan though, I hope he doesn't retire. I think he tilts the scales in favor of the Vikings when he is on the field.

Just curious were all you guys calling Emmitt Smith an attention whore when he announced his retirement DURING Super Bowl week?

Nah of course not, only Favre bashers would do that. Even though ESPN sent Mort down to interview him. You guys are acting like he's standing outside his home with a sign asking people to interview him.

:lmao: :lmao:
Yes. I bashed Emmitt. Cris Carter gets killed for it all the time. Why is Favre different? Dude has had a long time to do an interview like this. Mortensen asked Favre. No doubt. Nobody will argue that. But he chose, yes, Brett Favre CHOSE to do the interview now. Mike and Mike were ripping him for it this morning. So it's not only Favre bashers that are on his case for this. There are lots and lots of people who are tired of the 'will he or won't he' thing. The media is most to blame...but Favre is perpetuating the whole thing year after year.

The media is most to blame...but Favre is perpetuating the whole thing year after year.
What is Favre doing to perpetuate this thing year after year? The guy has played a long time in the NFL and retirement is inevitable; I am sure he thinks about it a lot. However, to put any blame on him for the media going to him and asking him questions is ludicurous.If somebody asked you the same question everyday at work, does that make you an attention whore?

Calling Favre an attention whore is ridiculous. He had an INTERVIEW, folks. That's it. It's not "stealing" headlines from the Super Bowl this week. Geeezz...I mean, wouldn't you like to hear something other than the Bus, how he's "coming home," the parties to send off the Steelers and Seahawks, how they are leaving the airport and headed to Detroit, etc.? I would...Personally, I hope Favre retires. The longer he drags it on, the more I think of Dan Marino, and how he should have retired a few years earlier.I can understand the desire to play, Brett. Nearly all football players find it hard to walk away. But if the subject of your desire to play is even in question, it's time to hang it up... And Green Bay needs to move on anyways. They have a lot of work to do to rebuild, and an aging Favre sticking around is not going to help matters.

The media is most to blame...but Favre is perpetuating the whole thing year after year.
What is Favre doing to perpetuate this thing year after year? The guy has played a long time in the NFL and retirement is inevitable; I am sure he thinks about it a lot. However, to put any blame on him for the media going to him and asking him questions is ludicurous.If somebody asked you the same question everyday at work, does that make you an attention whore?
Why did he choose yesterday to give the interview? Because he was asked? You know he was asked the week before and the week before and the week before and he'll be asked next week. He chose yesterday. Every year he gets pelted with the questions. I would hate it if I was him. But he gets pelted every year because every year he does the 'well, I'm leaning toward retiring but give me some time to think about it'. If he would just have said, "I have no retirement plans at this time. I'll let you know when I do," it would disappear.

So let's see...this thread has a few 'he's an attention whore' people and a few 'IT'S NOT HIS FAULT!' people. Boy, couldn't have called that one.

Just curious were all you guys calling Emmitt Smith an attention whore when he announced his retirement DURING Super Bowl week?

Nah of course not, only Favre bashers would do that. Even though ESPN sent Mort down to interview him. You guys are acting like he's standing outside his home with a sign asking people to interview him.

:lmao:   :lmao:
Yes. I bashed Emmitt. Cris Carter gets killed for it all the time. Why is Favre different? Dude has had a long time to do an interview like this. Mortensen asked Favre. No doubt. Nobody will argue that. But he chose, yes, Brett Favre CHOSE to do the interview now. Mike and Mike were ripping him for it this morning. So it's not only Favre bashers that are on his case for this. There are lots and lots of people who are tired of the 'will he or won't he' thing. The media is most to blame...but Favre is perpetuating the whole thing year after year.
All 3 of those guys have one thing in common, they all had (have) a hard time letting go because they are (were) such great and fierce competitors, and the desire and heart to keep playing gets (got) in the way of hanging up what they loved to do.I don't begrudge anyone, and didn't with those guys either, the difficult time they all had and are having, letting go.

If you are a competitor, you understand why they all had a hard time hanging it up. If not you are a basher.

All 3 of those guys have one thing in common, they all had (have) a hard time letting go because they are (were) such great and fierce competitors, and the desire and heart to keep playing gets (got) in the way of hanging up what they loved to do.I don't begrudge anyone, and didn't with those guys either, the difficult time they all had and are having, letting go.

If you are a competitor, you understand why they all had a hard time hanging it up. If not you are a basher.
I'm glad you see the similarities in all the situations.

At the risk of sounding like a Favre apologist, I didn't see anything that had the date of the interview posted.Isn't it possible that ESPN decided to run the story at this time for its impact during SB week for their own gratification rather than Favre making that decision?And asking Favre about retirement right now after the season he just had probably isn't going to give a very accurate depiction of what his feelings will be when it's time to strap the pads on again.Really very little fire going on here with all the smoke being blown around.

Isn't it possible that ESPN decided to run the story at this time for its impact during SB week for their own gratification rather than Favre making that decision?
How dare you! The media would NEVER do a thing like that.

At the risk of sounding like a Favre apologist, I didn't see anything that had the date of the interview posted.

Isn't it possible that ESPN decided to run the story at this time for its impact during SB week for their own gratification rather than Favre making that decision?

And asking Favre about retirement right now after the season he just had probably isn't going to give a very accurate depiction of what his feelings will be when it's time to strap the pads on again.

Really very little fire going on here with all the smoke being blown around.
Just as ridiculous as the Favre-loving is by the media, the "Favre is an attention whore" type sentiments are becoming absurd. It doesn't really bother me that Favre might be taking media attention away from the Super Bowl. People need to realize the media's place in sports and stop taking them so seriously.Anyway, it was fun to see Irvin and Salisbury get into it on SC's opening this morning. Irvin doesn't impress me overall, but he was right on to call Favre out on his comments about not wanting the ball with 2 minutes left, while Salisbury started getting upset with Irvin. Pretty amusing stuff...

I've been saying for months that I thought Favre would retire because he was not going to go through another season like the one he endured this season. The primary reason he's playing is for another shot at the Super Bowl and even if the Packers have the off-season to beat all off-seasons they are a long ways away from getting to the Super Bowl and possibly even the playoffs. I believe he gave Thompson one more season to show him this team could still be a contender in a wide-open NFC and that clearly didn't happen for a variety of reasons (a poor season by Favre among them). Given that, I can't see him coming back and going through another losing or mediocre season which is very well what the Packers will go through again next season.

I've been saying for months that I thought Favre would retire because he was not going to go through another season like the one he endured this season. The primary reason he's playing is for another shot at the Super Bowl and even if the Packers have the off-season to beat all off-seasons they are a long ways away from getting to the Super Bowl and possibly even the playoffs. I believe he gave Thompson one more season to show him this team could still be a contender in a wide-open NFC and that clearly didn't happen for a variety of reasons (a poor season by Favre among them). Given that, I can't see him coming back and going through another losing or mediocre season which is very well what the Packers will go through again next season.
Do you think that if I can see that the Packers were decimeted on offense, going to playing their #5 RB for significant portions of games & without their #1 & #3 WR for a great portion of the season, that Favre can't see that also? The D was solid all season even though they could use some beefing up.Give GB a stud RB w/ the #5 pick (allowing them to part ways w/ A Green and/or Davenport and give them more cap flexibility), assign the rest of their draft to D, and get a couple of good older O-linemen in FA that are always salary cap casulties and they can easily win the NFC North next season. Hell, look how far CHI came in a year this year.

Do you think that if I can see that the Packers were decimeted on offense, going to playing their #5 RB for significant portions of games & without their #1 & #3 WR for a great portion of the season, that Favre can't see that also? The D was solid all season even though they could use some beefing up.
The D was solid due mostly (IMO) to great coaching by Bates. With Bates gone there is a question of how well-coached the defense will be. I wasn't a fan of replacing him from within but we'll see how that moves plays out. There's no question the offense was decimated by injuries and that was a huge factor in the season. Better health will lead to better production, no question.
Give GB a stud RB w/ the #5 pick (allowing them to part ways w/ A Green and/or Davenport and give them more cap flexibility), assign the rest of their draft to D, and get a couple of good older O-linemen in FA that are always salary cap casulties and they can easily win the NFC North next season. Hell, look how far CHI came in a year this year.
The Packers have to go defense in the first round -- unless (and this is what I have been preaching for them to do for months) they trade down. Say they move into the 10-15 range with their first pick, that would allow them to grab a RB there (possibly White) and then address defense with their second first-round pick. In any event, the Packers have massive talent issues on the defensive side of the ball. They have some linemen they're high on but few of them strike me at this time as being real impact players. Their secondary outside of Harris and Collins is putrid and they have no pass-rush presence. There's a lot of work that needs to be done there.

And while the Packers have a ton of money to spend in free agency, Thompson isn't a fan of free agency so the possibility exists he may sit on all the money and not use it to help the team's talent base. That's one of my primary concerns about this off-season. I don't want to see him throwing money away but given the massive holes this team has and with only 5 draft picks (barring trades), free agency will be vital for talent and depth help this off-season.

Back to Favre, I just think this season took more out of him emotionally than people have been willing to accept. He was beaten down by everything that happened to this team and by his own performance. And even if the Packers do have a miracle off-season where every single thing goes right I don't see them being a contender next season and I believe that's the only reason Favre would come back.

I'm glad you see the similarities in all the situations.
I'm not going to get in a pissing match here, but all 3 are similiar in that they couldn't let go. Pretty simple really.

If he would just have said, "I have no retirement plans at this time. I'll let you know when I do," it would disappear.
:lmao:

And another thing- ESPN blows! How anyone can watch that garbage is beyond me. This is no longer sport with that east coast glee club. ESPN is nothing but The View with some occasional highlights. Pure garbage. Make your move Brett and quit the soap opera routine already...
I get really tired of all the ESPN bashing. If you don't enjoy it, simply don't watch. Don't watch the draft, don't watch MNF next year. There are plenty of people I don't like to watch/listen to on ESPN like Vitale, Stephen A Smith, and Rob Neyer- the baseball stat geek. I try to avaoid those guys, but to bash the entire network is really getting old.By the way, bashing the Sunday night crew is encouraged and expected. :banned:

:goodposting: We all know he's not quitting and wants everyone to :cry: and beg him to come back - which people will.

Is there a broken record smilie? Alllllll of this is like 4 years running now. Ugh.
I'm glad there are many more out there who feel the same way as me. It's the same BS every off-season for the past few years. WHO CARES! When you want to retire, do it quietly!! From the team's organizational point of view, get off the freaking fence.

I love to bash Favre every chance I get (it brings me great pleasure). But Favre gets wrongly critized for being an attention whore. I am sure Mortensen went to Favre to do an interview, not the other way around.

More times than not, people put a microphone in front of Favre's face and ask him questions. For the most part, Favre is just answering questions.

As a Viking fan though, I hope he doesn't retire. I think he tilts the scales in favor of the Vikings when he is on the field.

I love to bash Favre every chance I get (it brings me great pleasure). But Favre gets wrongly critized for being an attention whore. I am sure Mortensen went to Favre to do an interview, not the other way around.

More times than not, people put a microphone in front of Favre's face and ask him questions. For the most part, Favre is just answering questions.

As a Viking fan though, I hope he doesn't retire. I think he tilts the scales in favor of the Vikings when he is on the field.
:goodposting:

seriously FLAWED

how many Favre threads are you going to bump?

what are you pumped that the packers are 4-5?

This just hurts there team in the long run becuase it gives them a worse draft pick....absolutely no chance....I repeat....absolutely no chance at a wildcard....and nobody gets to see what Aaron Rodgers can do.

seriously FLAWEDhow many Favre threads are you going to bump?what are you pumped that the packers are 4-5?This just hurts there team in the long run becuase it gives them a worse draft pick....absolutely no chance....I repeat....absolutely no chance at a wildcard....and nobody gets to see what Aaron Rodgers can do.
:lmao: at this coming from a Bear fan.

must've been hard deciding which Favre retiring thread to bump

Users who are viewing this thread